Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    I don't get it. Why does this have to even be a "turf war" ?! There were 0 complaints during the season. They've actually done better than any other season. If they made one more penalty kick they'd be champs and I highly doubt we'd be having this conversation. It's incredibly frustrating to hear anyone not have any accountability on themselves. And then when someone calls you out on it, you have legions of people agreeing!? Really? C'mon mannnnn

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Just my take ...

How did everyone get suckered into discussing whether the Argos deserve to be at BMO or whether MLS is superior to the CFL when the topic was about a TFC star being a whinny little bitch?
    , so casually said and funny.

Yeah, no one is going to succesfully preach a TFC agenda on an Argos board, and vice versa.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Anybody who thinks the NCAA is a better calibre than the CFL doesn't know much about football. The CFL is full of players who were all stars, all conference, all american on their NCAA team and they are now full grown Men who are better now than when they played College Football. The CFL is also faster ball than the College brand. Not that I needed conformation, but I did see a quote from one of the US officials that officiated CFL games this past summer during the exchange program. He said the CFL was definitely faster than the NCAA Div I.
    I believe the stat is that less than 4% of college players make it as a pro. So how would any of those teams compete with a team of 100% pros?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    When will MLS expand again into Canada?
    Let's hope not as we need less MLS in this country than more. MLS was designed to develop the US national team and that is what it has done well with help from Toronto FC. It has done next to nothing for Canadian soccer. Our national men's program will only get better if we have a national soccer league of our own like we used to have with the Canadian Soccer League back in the late 1980s. BTW, how well supported was that league in Toronto?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    , so casually said and funny.

Yeah, no one is going to succesfully preach a TFC agenda on an Argos board, and vice versa.
    Yes, just laugh at the stupidity and move on (as difficult as it is sometimes).
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Let's hope not as we need less MLS in this country than more. MLS was designed to develop the US national team and that is what it has done well with help from Toronto FC. It has done next to nothing for Canadian soccer. Our national men's program will only get better if we have a national soccer league of our own like we used to have with the Canadian Soccer League back in the late 1980s. BTW, how well supported was that league in Toronto?
    Well stated Ravi, we all know a Canadian soccer league would be grossly inferior to MLS😛
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenners View Post
    Yes great article, but I commend players like Matt Black going on twitter to stick up for his team. Giovinci made himself an easy target.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:

Level
    Can we assume that Giovinci will blame the Leafs for hosting the Winter Classic if TFC loses its home opener?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    Can we assume that Giovinci will blame the Leafs for hosting the Winter Classic if TFC loses its home opener?
    No that wouldn't be allowed.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Yes great article, but I commend players like Matt Black going on twitter to stick up for his team. Giovinci made himself an easy target.
    i definitely agree.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    First an admission-I grew up attending Premier League games as a kid-- I appreciate soccer but I love the CFL and especially the Argos. Several recent occurrences demonstrate why soccer will have a problem becoming more than a niche sport in Canada:
    !) Giovinco's blaming his poor play on cramps caused by having to share the field with the Argos. Compare that with Hank playing brilliantly in the GC, even with an injured leg or Baun scoring a Stanley Cup winning goal though playing with a broken leg!
    2) Soccer can be deadly dull ( MLS Final) Compare that with the GC. Only the most dedicated and myopic soccer fan can think the game was exciting. In the long run this type of play will turn off the casual Canadian sports fan.
    3) The lack of Canadian players starting for TFC and other MLS teams. In the Eastern Final with 2 Canadian teams, only 2 Canadians started. The MLS including TFC, exists primarily to benefit Americans players. Recent rule changes allows a Canadian to be a National player but only if he was a member of a MLS academy before the age of 16. Not good enough --just as American are always Nationals, only a Canadian should be a
    National on any Canadian based team. This would force the Canadian MLS teams to play and develop more more Canadian players. Think of the huge number of Canadian football players who became stars but only because of the CFL import rules. Canadian MLS teams should learn from the CFL experience.

On another note--the Argos have started their renewal of ST's but with a complete lack of any exciting annoucements (change to coaching?) Please, Argos, appoint Clemons as President of football operations so we get some dynamic leadership.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The MLS final was not very exciting, but the TFC playoff games leading up to that were mostly entertaining spectacles. Some new fans might have been attracted by those games, and not all of them would have been totally turned off by the final.

As for Giovinco, his remarks were foolish; even if he actually believed that his cramps were the result of TFC sharing the field and not other factors (such as playing for two additional months and playing in horrible rain one week and minus-10 weather the next), he would have been wise to keep his mouth shut. I still have yet to hear any plausible explanation as to how one CFL game played there in a seven-week span could have led to a guy suffering cramps in TFC playoff games.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Just my take ...

How did everyone get suckered into discussing whether the Argos deserve to be at BMO or whether MLS is superior to the CFL when the topic was about a TFC star being a whinny little bitch?
    It's called trolling.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenners View Post
    I don't get it. Why does this have to even be a "turf war" ?! There were 0 complaints during the season. They've actually done better than any other season. If they made one more penalty kick they'd be champs and I highly doubt we'd be having this conversation. It's incredibly frustrating to hear anyone not have any accountability on themselves. And then when someone calls you out on it, you have legions of people agreeing!? Really? C'mon mannnnn
    I agree completely.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    With Canada 118th in FiFA rankings (http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranki...men/index.html), it certainly has done next to nothing for Canadian soccer. I agree about the Canadian Soccer League.