Reply to Thread

Thread: CFL Podcasts

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

CFL Podcasts

I believe the league, media (mostly TSN), and the podcast creators all need to work together to create some more buzz online. The NBA has become a podcast by players driven league, and while the NBA itself does zero lifting, its the media companies (TSN, ESPN, bleacherreport etc) that are using clips from these shows and posting them on IG to create some newsworthy content. The NHL to some lesser extent, but are huge with alumni interviews Ex. Spittin Chiclets and a plethora of other players having their own show. These content creators also need to cut up and post any "viral" or newsworthy clips. I just don't have the time to be listening to podcasts in its entirety but I am aware of what this NBA player is saying on his pod or what crazy hockey story someone has just by following sports social media. If only the CFL account or TSN could do a better job in posting such clips.

Now, question is what podcasts are out there? I know for a fact Nik Lewis had an alumni focused show in the past (I don't think its still going on), and I believe DaVaris Daniels, Juwan Brescacin and Ucambre Williams all have a current show. Henoc Muamba was getting into the media world and may have or had something as well. But I can't just imagine the listening numbers are great but if the content could be shared online, gain traction/views/ etc. Or if TSN or the CFL invested in having a podcast where they focused on the games that happened, league news, analysis and one or two alumni interviews. They had one I believe with Davis Sanchez and James Cybulski, maybe went more the gambling route, but how could I even know if I'm barely aware it exists. There are also a lot of fan podcasts but I do think there is a void and somewhat of a market for a player driven podcast, that focuses on more than what we get with post game/practice interviews. If someone who played in the KHL has crazy stories to tell on Spittin Chiclets, imagine how many great untold stories exist in the quirky world of the CFL. I bet anyone from the 1994 Lions would be a good listen.

CFL needs to do more to get out there and short viral clips are one way IMO. You have a media company heavily invested in the league and its teams. You have a small, loyal, but passionate niche fan base. Just wish more effort was done to help promote the game and relive the past. I do think there is definitely some potential out there for a good product, if done right but sadly nothing from both the league and TSN. To follow the others seems like you need at least a minimum of one alumni, a good host (alumni or not) and a producer. Same could be said with current players. I am now wondering what would a dream podcast cast look like. Someone charismatic, and knowledgeable about the league's history.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I agree they need to get into podcasts and whole lot of other things; however, their website is still a mess when it comes to player info as they still don't have the career stats that they used to have in years past. Creating an image is important in all of life, but especially in sports where people have lots of other options for what to watch.