Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Marquay Mc Daniel is aching for a do-over after last year's loss in the Grey Cup.

https://www.stampeders.com/2017/11/2...niels-do-over/
    Right on... Do It Again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Marquay Mc Daniel is aching for a do-over after last year's loss in the Grey Cup.

https://www.stampeders.com/2017/11/2...niels-do-over/
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Right on... Do It Again.
    They got their do-over.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Dickenson's comments after the game reflect the deep pain in Calgary. Will it lead to significant personnel changes?

But, seriously. Two plays of 100 and 109 yards?
    No one loses a game with two of those on the same night.
    “Well, we did,” Dickenson said. “Just couldn’t finish the deal. It’s heartbreaking. It really is.”
    Dickenson and president-GM John Hufnagel have built the CFL’s flagship in Calgary, annually the best team over 18 regular season games and a Western Final.
    Then the big day comes, and they find a new way to lose every year.
    “Very, very bitter,” Dickenson muttered. “Football is a tough game. Not fair. Whatever. It’s a loss. It’s gonna sting — again.” ...

What did Dickenson say to his club, after another fine season that ends with the proverbial ham sandwich?
    Not much. That’s what he said.
    Not much.
    “Too fresh, too hard,” he said. “Any words I say won’t resonate. They will not make anyone feel better. They’re just words.
    “Words don’t win. Actions do.”
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...lose-grey-cup/

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    That's now two years in a row, someone somewhere in the world is getting Calgary Stampeder Grey Cup Champions hats and tees.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bo on his interception that sealed the Argos' win. While he defends himself his answer raises questions in that he says he recognized Matt Black moving towards approaching Marken Michel.

He explained the call aimed at taking advantage of a coverage mismatch favouring Stampeders receiver Marken Michel.
    “We’ve run that play many times and scored with it,” said Mitchell, who had yet to turn the ball over the entire CFL playoffs before that throw. If you look at the film, ‘Quay (Marquay McDaniel) gets pushed down and you can’t throw the inside throw because it’s an even easier pick. Pre-snap, I saw Matt (Black) start to run that way so I knew it was a riskier throw, and as soon as I let it go, I knew I didn’t put enough on it. I just feel bad for the guys I didn’t make the throw.” ...
    In hindsight, Mitchell admitted that taking a sack would have been a better outcome, but he was confident a throw into double-coverage still came with several positive outcomes possible. “It’s a smart decision play-call-wise, because typically taking those shots, you get an incompletion or pass interference or a catch — that’s what we were banking on,” said Mitchell, who threw for 373 yards in an otherwise brilliant outing. And if I put that ball farther out there, man, Marken has a chance to get it, and if they call pass interference, we’re on the one-yard line with three downs to go.”
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/stamps-qb-mitchell-speaks-about-grey-cup-game-ending-interception

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Bo on his interception that sealed the Argos' win. While he defends himself his answer raises questions in that he says he recognized Matt Black moving towards approaching Marken Michel.

http://calgarysun.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/stamps-qb-mitchell-speaks-about-grey-cup-game-ending-interception

More evidence that the recent move CFL move to call just about any contact on a receiver has worked it's way into the offensive schemes. To paraphrase Bo, "we knew we had three scenarios out of four that worked in our favour. Completion, penalty call, incompletion vs. a pic." Given the soft penalty calls in the fourth quarter, it would have been an outrageous outcome if a penalty was called. Just ask Hamilton in 2013. I still think penalties are still an issue to be addressed. It's a given to both teams in a Stanley Cup Final, you could sever a limb in the third period/overtime without a call being made.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    More evidence that the recent move CFL move to call just about any contact on a receiver has worked it's way into the offensive schemes. To paraphrase Bo, "we knew we had three scenarios out of four that worked in our favour. Completion, penalty call, incompletion vs. a pic." Given the soft penalty calls in the fourth quarter, it would have been an outrageous outcome if a penalty was called. Just ask Hamilton in 2013. I still think penalties are still an issue to be addressed. It's a given to both teams in a Stanley Cup Final, you could sever a limb in the third period/overtime without a call being made.
    It was reported early in the season that Calgary had designed plays at drawing PI calls. And I think that's exactly what they were hoping for there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

I didn't for a moment believe it was a bad read. Fact is, had he thrown the ball deeper and over the outside shoulder, it likely would have been a TD. Not an easy throw in cold weather though.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    It was reported early in the season that Calgary had designed plays at drawing PI calls. And I think that's exactly what they were hoping for there.
    Congrats to CFL Officiating for NOT ruining the Grey Cup. Seriously.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With Calgary's second consecutive loss in the GC, there is speculation that there will be greater changes than usual with the team.

There is the potential for a vastly different group.
    Stamps general manager John Hufnagel will have his days full, starting immediately, as he looks at a list of over 20 free agents and the possibility of some significant retirements. Fullback Rob Cote and offensive lineman Dan Federkeil have both hinted at calling it quits, while a surprising revelation on Tuesday was veteran receiver Marquay McDaniel’s end-of-season comments. “It was a rough year for me personally,” said an emotional McDaniel, 33, who stopped for several minutes to compose himself. “My age does play a lot into it. You never know how many chances you’ll get." ...
    McDaniel has been hampered with a knee injury this season. ...

Cote, who just finished up his 11th CFL season, says he had not made up his mind yet whether to hang up the pads. ...

The list of Stampeders free agents, as per most years, is lengthy, and there are several names that pop out: running back Jerome Messam, returner Roy Finch, defensive end Ja’Gared Davis, receiver DaVaris Daniels and a whole whack of secondary members, including Josh Bell, Ciante Evans, Brandon Smith and Tommie Campbell. ...

A handful are also bound to get NFL tryouts. “In fact, I received some requests this morning,” admitted Hufnagel. “Three, in fact, for players to have those type of workouts. I wish those players success, but if they don’t get signed, hopefully we’ll see them in red and white next year.” Evans is believed to be one of those, and another could possibly be Finch, the CFL special teams player of the year who was rather cryptic in his remarks.

The coaching staff, as well, is not immune to change, with defensive coordinator DeVone Claybrooks’ name having already come up. As for other teams calling for permission to speak with any of them, Hufnagel said that hadn’t occurred … yet.
    The secondary could be hard hit, with a number of starters becoming prospective free agents. “I’m looking into a dark abyss … At 32 years old, I’m looking into darkness without any answers to all of my questions,” said the eloquent Bell.
    The names on offence are also significant pieces. “If they offer me a contract, I’ll be here,” said Messam.

http://calgarysun.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/stampeders-off-season-could-see-a-lot-of-players-heading-in-other-directions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The changes have already started. The Stampeders have decided to not bring back DB coach and former Argo DB Kahlil Carter when his contract runs out at the end of the year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM Hufnagel discusses the role of continuity in Calgary's multi-year success.

Significantly, too, in the ongoing on-field success, for the most part Hufnagel has been able to re-sign those free-agents he and his coaching staff target.
    “Continuity counts for a lot in continuing success,’’ he says. “We believe in that very strongly.
    “It’s not only that we have consistently put a competitive product on the field, it’s that the players enjoy the environment here. They enjoy the organization, they enjoy the city, they enjoy the fans. And, yes, there’s a lot of winning to it also. There’s a chance to be knocking at the door, be in the tournament at the end of the year.
    “All the reasons why they’re playing. So that does play a part.
    “But it’s a business, too.
    “I need to be close to market value or else players move on. Which has happened a few times over the last few years.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2017/11/3...gets-business/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM John Hufnagel has received NFL requests to workout three of the team's best players: Most Outstanding ST winner Roy Finch, 2016 Outstanding Rookie and LB Shaqulle Richardson.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    OL Dan Federkeil, FB Rob Cote, and WR Marquay McDaniel are considering whether to retire or not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    As expected, the Stampeders regular season dominance is reflected in their placing the most players on the CFL All-Star team, six (Evans, Finch, Hughes, Johnson, Paredes and Singleton).

https://www.stampeders.com/2017/12/0...six-cfl-stars/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    HC Dave Dickenson has been named to the US College Hall of Fame. The article also discusses the signing of three players by Calgary:WR Reggie Begelton, OL Dillon Guy and DL Mike Rose.

And Monday, the University of Montana Grizzlies’ all-time leading passer learned he’ll be honoured as such. Dickenson joins the Class of 2018 as a member of the U.S. College Football Hall of Fame. ...

The Charles M. Russell high school star went on to become a standout during his four seasons (1992-95) at the University of Montana and remains the school’s team leader in yards passing and wins as a starter. In 1995, Dickenson was the winner of the Walter Payton Award as the top offensive player in the Football Championship Subdivison as he led Montana to an FCS national championship. Including playoffs, Dickenson threw for 5,676 yards and 51 touchdowns that season. During his collegiate career, Dickenson was a first-team all-Big Sky selection, a Big Sky offensive MVP and an Academic All-American on three occasions. He was a three-time team MVP, and his 11,080 career passing yards and 33 wins as a starter are both program bests at Montana.
    He was inducted into the University of Montana’s Grizzly Sports Hall of Fame in 2002, and his No. 15 jersey is one of only two retired numbers at the school. Dickenson then went on to a distinguished CFL career that has included 14 years with the Stampeders as a player and coach.
    Dickenson was the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player in 2000, is a four-time Grey Cup winner and was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2015.
    Dickenson will be officially inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame alongside nine other players and three coaches on Dec. 4 in New York. ...

The Stampeders have signed international receiver Reggie Begelton, national offensive linemen Dillon Guy and international defensive lineman Mike Rose.
    All three players were with the Stampeders in 2017 and finished the season on the practice roster.
    Begelton played nine games for the Stamps and had 22 catches for 304 yards and one touchdown as well as two special-teams tackles. The NCAA Lamar Cardinals product had NFL tryouts with the Atlanta Falcons and Oakland Raiders before signing with the Red & White.
    Guy was acquired in an Aug. 31 trade with the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders and spent the remainder of the season on the practice roster. The NCAA Buffalo Bulls alum was a fourth-round draft pick of the B.C. Lions in 2016.
    Rose played one game for the Stamps in 2017 and registered two defensive tackles. He attended training camp with the NFL’s New York Giants in 2016 after playing four seasons with the NCAA’s North Carolina State Wolfpack.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...l-hall-of-fame

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stamps have no plans to extend Bo Levi Mitchell until the next off-season.

The Calgary Stampeders are obviously interested in locking up Bo Levi Mitchell long term, but it doesn’t sound like they’ll be trying to extend his contract anytime soon. Mitchell signed a four-year contract in early-2015 and has emerged as one of the league’s most consistently valuable players in the time since. He’s a big part of the Stamps future plans, but president/GM John Hufnagel explained at the CFL’s annual GM meetings in Banff that the team wouldn’t be trying to re-up his contract until next off-season. “I think we’ll wait,” Hufnagel said. “No. 1, because 2019 is a (collective bargaining agreement) year. We really don’t know what the salary cap is and that really makes it difficult to sign players, especially a high-profile, highly-paid player like Bo.”
    To be clear, Hufnagel’s decision to wait until next year to negotiate with Mitchell should not – by any means – be taken as a sign that the Stamps don’t have confidence in their QB long term. Mitchell is definitely a part of the team’s plans, but the looming salary cap negotiations will no doubt play a big part in determining how much they can offer their franchise player. As for whether Mitchell will re-sign, Hufnagel sounds confident.
    In an ESPN.com article last year, Mitchell admitted he wanted to explore his NFL options if he was given the opportunity, but he’s given no indication that he’s actively pursuing that road in the time since.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...th-qb-mitchell

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Stampeder president and GM John Hufnagel still sees Kamar Jorden as an important piece of the Calgary offence despite his infamous fumble in the Grey Cup that turned the game around.

You can count John Hufnagel among the people who were impressed with the way Kamar Jorden handled himself after the Grey Cup disaster.
    Jorden’s late fumble in the closing minutes of November’s championship game against the Toronto Argonauts may have cost the Calgary Stampeders the game, and it’s going to live long in the memories of Canadian football fans. It was an enormously costly mistake, to be sure, but Jorden owned it.
    In what must have been an incredibly painful moment for the receiver — both personally and professionally — Jorden stood in front of the media and took responsibility for his mistake, even acknowledging that teammate Marquay McDaniel was right for blaming his carelessness for the loss.
    “Kamar probably couldn’t have handled it any better,” Hufnagel said Wednesday in Banff, where CFL general managers were having their annual meetings. “It was disappointing, but he has to get over it. His teammates have gotten over it, and now he has to get over it.”

The Stampeders re-signed Jorden in December, and with DaVaris Daniels testing out his NFL options, Jorden is sure to have a big role to play in the team’s success next season.
    When he was healthy in 2017, Jorden was one of the league’s most dynamic receivers, and the Stampeders will be counting on him doing even more in 2018.
    For Hufnagel, that’s what counts, as he said he didn’t even speak with Jorden about the Grey Cup fumble when he signed the new contract. “I really expect him to come out next year and have an even better year for us,” Hufnagel said.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...pes-for-jorden

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In view of Hufnagel's comments in the previous post about Jorden handling the criticism of his fumble as well as possible, whether he will be keeping an eye on Marquay McDanilel next season to see whether he throws anyone else under the bus and deciding whether or not the team can afford the resulting problems if McDaniel continues this approach.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    This month-old article suggests why continuity in coaches and players has played a major role in Stampeder success and why DC Devone Claybrooks is still happy to be in Calgary despite failing to the get the Als HC job, which considering the task involved in rebuilding Montreal seems highly reasonable.

After all, who doesn’t enjoy the attentions of an ardent suitor? Who doesn’t get a kick out of being wooed?
    “But at the end of the day,’’ DeVone Claybrooks is explaining, “you want to be where you’re happy.
    “Calgary’s where I’m happy.
    “I’ve been here nine years, this is my 10th season coming up. I’ve established roots here.
    “You look at other situations around the league. In my nine years here, other teams have gone through five or six (coaching) staffs.
    “In the same time frame, I can think of maybe three coaches who’ve left Calgary.
    “That isn’t just coincidence.
    “In professional sports, especially in coaching, when you can find a place that pays you fairly, respects your opinion, you’re respected for what you do and they let you do your job … well, you ride it until the wheels fall off.” ...

“I’ve been fortunate every year enough to have my name come up for this or that, NFL opportunities or big college opportunities.
    “In any situation, any circumstance, you want it to be as much of a sure thing as possible. And like I said, I’ve got a pretty good thing going here.”
    The Claybrooks-blueprinted Stampeder defence dominated the CFL through 2017, finishing first in points allowed, net offence allowed, yards surrendered per play, first downs given up, fewest passing touchdowns against, fewest passing first downs, etc., etc., etc.
    “The thing is, our guys took pride in it, ownership of it, which is great,’’ Claybrooks says.
    “Don’t look at me. It’s their defence.
    “They bought in. As I’ve said numerous times, players only listen to you for two reasons: You can make them more money or you can make them great.
    “Those two things go hand-in-hand – if you’re winning, everybody gets paid because everyone loves winners. They know that no one player or one ego is bigger than the brand. If you can foster the mentality where’s it’s not a ‘Me! Me! Me!’ (you’ll be successful), especially the millennials today who grow up with a Me Mentality from the cradle. So you have to do a good job of solidifying that trust, where they trust you’re going to put them into the right situations to be successful.
    https://www.stampeders.com/2017/12/12/happy-in-calgary/