Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In the interview below, GM John Hufnagel discusses the effects of losing two close Grey Cup games in a row, whether he thinks Bo Levi Mitchell will go the NFL, the significant changes he expects in personnel due to free agency, and Kamar Jorden's game changing Grey Cup fumble and Kamar's response to it.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/01/1...looking-ahead/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Stampeder QB Bo Levi Mitchell is another in a long line of CFLers who think Johnny Manziel's contract demands are way out of line.

“It’s questionable.”
    Manziel’s agent Erik Burkhardt said in a statement: I will tell you that we believe ‘fair deal’ means on par with what Hamilton has paid their QB in recent years. Zach Collaros made over $500,000 in 2017.
    “Let’s say Johnny gets $300,000, he’s gotta be the starter,” Mitchell said.
    “Unfortunately, in this day and age, as an athlete, you try not to speak in the media about your contract, you try to let your agent do it. And his agent is telling him you’re Johnny Manziel, you’re Johnny Football, why would you take anything less than what the starting quarterbacks out there make? Because obviously, he believes he’s going to walk in here and be the starter. That’s where it gets interesting for me, I see him coming in as a starter, I do. You have to, he’s Johnny Manziel. The guy can play, I don’t know what kind of shape he’s in but I’m sure he can get back there as an athlete.”

After being named Hamilton’s starting quarterback on Sept. 4, Jeremiah Masoli led the CFL in passing yards (3,032) and rushing yards by a quarterback (384), was tied for second in passing touchdowns (15), and had the second-least interceptions (4) among starting quarterbacks over that span.
    “As a coach in June Jones, I gotta say why would I give that up? Why would I give up the guy that knows how to run my system? Clearly, he’s very good at running my system and he understands it. I don’t know as a head coach if you want to give that up, but I can see as a GM and as an organization that you can get a big ticket item player,” Mitchell said.
    “Now if Masoli is the better quarterback during practice and training camp, it’s going to send a lot of negative riffs through that locker room.”
    https://3downnation.com/2018/01/16/b...-questionable/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    2016 second round draft choice WR Juwan Brescacin has slowly working his way into the lineup more and more as he builds up experience, a not unusual path for National players, going from just 4 catches for 51 yards in his first season to 19 for 260 yards in his second season. I think we will see further improvement this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The loss of DB Shaquille Richardson to the Oakland Raiders through free agency will leave a significant hole in their defensive backfield, but the Stampeders have been highly successful in replacing players over the last decade.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    National WR Lemar Durant who was on a pace to gain more than 700 receiving yards until he tore his ACL in his seventh game, is on track to be ready for the start of TC.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/01/1...omeback-track/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's a list of Stampeder tryout camps, which start in February and have turned up a number of gems in the last few years.

https://www.stampeders.com/tryouts/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Hall of Fame Stampeder QB/DB Jerry Keeling has died at age 78. A great two way player, he is best remembered by long-time Argos fans as the QB of the Stampeders who led Calgary to its victory over one of the most talented ever Argo teams in 1971, one of the toughest losses in Argo history. The Argo team included Joe Theismann, Bill Symon, Leon McQuay, Dick Thornton, Jim Corrigall, Jim Stillwagon, Dave Raimey, Mel Profit, Mike Eben, Pete Martin, Zenon Andrusyshn, Dick Aldridge, Ed Harrington, Ellison Kelly, Marv Luster, Danny Nykoluk, Gene Mack, and Tono Moro. The game ended 14-11 when, after Thornton returned an interception to inside the 10 yard line with less than 2 minutes to go, McQuay fumbled the ball away.

Keeling — known as “Bones” to his teammates because of his slender build — joined the Stampeders in 1961 after a standout career at the University of Tulsa. He first made a name for himself as a defensive halfback, earning CFL all-star honours in 1964, 1965 and 1967 and was a five-time division all-star on the defensive side of the ball. It wasn’t until Peter Liske left for the NFL that Keeling moved to the top of the depth chart at quarterback. ...
    In Keeling’s first three years under centre, the Stamps were progressively more successful as they reached the West final in 1969 (a loss to Saskatchewan), the Grey Cup final in 1970 (a loss to Montreal) and won the championship in 1971 with a victory over the Toronto Argonauts.The 1971 Grey Cup ended a 23-year title drought for the Stamps. The game, played in sloppy conditions at Vancouver’s Empire Stadium, was hardly conducive to quarterback play as Keeling threw only 16 passes but one of his throws found Herm Harrison in the end-zone for the game’s opening score. Keeling was a much bigger factor in the best-of-three West final win over Saskatchewan as he threw for a combined 537 yards and four touchdowns in back-to-back wins over the Roughriders. ...
    Keeling played one more season for the Stamps — 1972 — before moving on to the Ottawa Rough Riders and Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He retired in 1975 but returned to Calgary in 1982 and 1983 to serve as an assistant coach for the Stamps.
    Keeling was voted to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1989 and added to the Stampeders’ Wall of Fame in 1990. ...
    During his 15 seasons as a CFLer — including seven in which quarterback was his primary position — Keeling completed 1,302 passes for 18,239 yards and 119 touchdowns.
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/01/2...jerry-keeling/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    What a collection of players (and characters) on that Argos team, one for the ages !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It is interesting that so far that the Stampeders have shown no signs of pursuing any of the high profile CFL QBs available as backups. International QB Ricky Stanzi showed little in his 4/8 performance for 53 yards that would suggest he could be the answer. National QB Andrew Buckley performed very well in mop roles when the Stamps had a large lead going 17/19. However, he had some trouble, admittedly under terrible snowy weather conditions, when given his only start, but he was still 13/18 although the offence looked moribund. Calgary will sign one or two more QBs for TC, but it looks like a Canadian could be the number 2 QB in Calgary again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders lost another connection to their past with the death of former HC Bob Vespaziani. He also coached in Saskatchewan for one year (1994) in addition to his stints with BC and Winnipeg mentioned in the article.

Vespaziani joined the Stamps in 1986 after eight seasons as an assistant coach with Winnipeg and BC. He guided the Stamps to a 13-13 regular-season record in his 26 games on the sidelines and, in 1987, he added Wally Buono to the Calgary coaching staff.
    Buono later became the Stamps’ head coach and in 1995 he hired Vespaziani for what would prove to be a five-year stint as defensive line coach. Vespaziani was part of the Stamps’ Grey Cup-championship team in 1998 and also won championships with Winnipeg in 1984 and with BC in 1985.
    “Bob had a great sense of humour and he was loved both by his fellow coaches and the players,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel, who served with Vespaziani on the Stamps coaching staff in 1995 and 1996. “He will be missed and, on behalf of the Stampeders organization, I offer deepest condolences to his family and friends.”
    Prior to coming to the CFL, Vespaziani – a native of Bronx, N.Y., who grew up in the Boston area – served as head coach of the Acadia Axemen and he returned to the Canadian ranks later in his career, serving as an assistant coach at Queen’s and Carleton.
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/01/2...ob-vespaziani/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After 11 seasons, National RB Rob Cote has decided to retire.

Cote announced Tuesday morning that he was retiring from professional football and starting a new job with the Calgary Construction Association. ...
    Cote is leaving the Stampeders — but not Calgary — with a list of accomplishments that any professional football player would dream of having.The Cochrane High School product signed with the Stamps as a 20-year-old in 2007 and went on to play 179 regular season games, tying him for the most ever by a Stampeders player.
    Cote contributed to one of the most successful periods in Stampeders history, too, appearing in 12 West Division playoff games and four Grey Cups, winning CFL championships in both 2008 and 2014.
    “I was a part of a lot of really special teams and I was always a really greedy player,” Cote said. “I wanted to win more Grey Cups, as all of our friends and everybody in this room wanted to win more Grey Cups.”
    He appeared on both offence and special teams, and finished his career with 113 catches for 1,160 yards and 13 touchdowns, 40 carries for 143 yards and 82 special teams tackles.
    Those aren’t the most eye-popping numbers any player has ever put up, but Cote brought a versatility that made him invaluable to the Stampeders coaching staff and was a leader in the lockerroom and on the field that both his coaches and teammates could count on. ...
    Off the field, Cote was also one of the Stampeders’ greatest ambassadors in the community. He was twice voted by his teammates to win the Presidents’ Ring, which goes to the player who shows excellence on and off the field, was a Stamps captain for six seasons and was the 2013 winner of the Herm Harrison Memorial Award for community service.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...ith-stampeders

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM John Hufnagel discusses Rob Cote's contribution to the Stampeders in the video accompanying this tweet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It's no surprise that considering Calgary had the best won-lost record in the league that they also lead the league in the number of potential free agents on the CFL.ca's list of top 30 FAs with seven: #10 DB Tommie Campbell; #11 WR Davaris Daniels; #16 DL Ja'Gared Davis; # 19 DB Jamar Wall; #21 ST Roy Finch (who I think should have been ranked much higher); #25 Jerome Messam; and #28 Ciante Evans.
    However, it is curious that no Stampeder made it into the top nine.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/01/22/cfl-ca...ents-2/#21to30

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    At this point in the off-season, the Stampeders have resigned more players than anyone else - eight, much like last year. They may be better at finding talent, keeping talent and winning games in the regular season, but that still didn't win them a Grey Cup last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    At this point in the off-season, the Stampeders have resigned more players than anyone else - eight, much like last year. They may be better at finding talent, keeping talent and winning games in the regular season, but that still didn't win them a Grey Cup last year.
    Or the year before. West is so overrated.

It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former CFL All Star LB Joe Burnett is still upset about not being on the roster for the Grey Cup after recovering in time from an injury to play in Calgary's 32-28 playoff win over the Eskimos.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/01/29/burnet...ey-cup-roster/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Davaris Daniels has had workouts with five NFL teams so there is a good chance he won't be back with Calgary this year as he is still only 25 and thus attractive to NFL teams.

“They’ve been going good, there’s a lot of coaching changes so things kind of get delayed a bit, but it’s good,” the 25-year-old said. “I’ve been working out, it’s been going well so just trying to keep the resolve and see what happens. Hopefully something happens, but if not, I’ll be happy to come back and play in the CFL.”
    While a return to the Stampeders would certainly be a boost for Calgary football fans, it seems like Daniels is exactly the sort of receiver who will find a job in the NFL after making the most of his CFL opportunity. Daniels won the league’s Most Outstanding Rookie award in 2016 after finishing with 885 yards and nine touchdowns in only 11 games. He wasn’t quite as electrifying in the 2017 regular season, finishing with 743 yards and four touchdowns in 13 games, but provided a brilliant reminder of his abilities when the spotlight shone the brightest.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...-in-super-bowl

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Josh Bell has retired to become the Stampeders' DB coach. Bell's retirement, combined with the potential loss of three DBs through free agency means the defensive backfield of Calgary could be quite different next year.

After two years with the B.C. Lions, Bell joined the Stampeders in 2014 and played four seasons in Calgary. He won the Grey Cup with the team in his first season and in 86 career CFL games he had 206 tackles – including 10 for losses – 16 special teams tackles, one sack, five interceptions, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and 17 knockdowns.
    His numbers only tell part of the story, though, as Bell emerged as one of the leaders in the Stampeders lockerroom and was named a team captain for the 2017 season.
    The respect his teammates had for Bell was made clear at the end of last year, when he was voted by his teammates to win the Presidents’ Ring, which goes to the player who exhibits excellence on and off the field, as well as the Herm Harrison Memorial Award for work in the community. ...

“It took me about 24 hours to kind of reprioritize my life dream, my life journey of wanting to play professional football, because that was my life goal from when I was seven or eight years old. And then all in a span of 24 or 48 hours I had to look and then say ‘let’s re-prioritize’ and ‘is it more important for me to play another year or more important to get started in the next part of my football profession, which may last me the next 40 years?’ ”
    Under former DB coach Kahlil Carter last season, the Stamps boasted arguably the best defensive backs group in the entire league. While Brandon Smith has re-signed with the Stamps for next year, the team still hasn’t locked up Jamar Wall, Ciante Evans and Tommie Campbell for the 2018 season.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...s-new-db-coach

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary has traded All-Star DE Charleston Hughes, who has led the lead in sacks in 2016 and 2017 but is 34, to the Ticats for a small return, a 2019 fourth round draft choice and an exchange of fourth round picks this year, because of salary cap limits on how much money the Stampeders have to sign free agents.

The move was made with the salary cap in mind, as the Stampeders already have defensive ends Cordarro Law and Ja’Gared Davis under contract for next season.
    “In a salary-cap world, sometimes difficult decisions have to be made and this is definitely a very difficult decision,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel.
    The 34-year-old defensive end is coming off two straight seasons in which he had the most sacks in the CFL and has been with the team since 2008, playing in four Grey Cups and winning two.

Hughes signed a new contract with the team prior to the 2017 season and didn’t appear to have lost a step, finishing as the league’s top pass-rusher with 11 sacks.
    Through 10 seasons, he had become one of the most vocal Stampeders in the community and was widely seen as one of the faces of the franchise. With 99 sacks during his time with the Stampeders, he was tied with Will Johnson for the current franchise record of 99.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...traded-to-cats
    Last edited by jerrym; 02-04-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Dan Federkeil, who the Argos drafted fifth overall in 2006 but who signed and played with the Colts for four years instead, will be retiring according to Farhan Lalji. After retiring from the NFL in 2009 due to a series of concussions, he returned to football in 2013. The Argos traded his rights to Calgary in 2013 for Akwasi Antwi when he showed no interest in playing in Toronto.

https://www.tsn.ca/stampeders-ol-fed...etire-1.987039