Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Calgary Stampeder Thread

Cordarro Law has resigned with the Stampeders.

The Calgary Stampeders have signed international defensive lineman Cordarro Law. The three-year CFL veteran had been eligible to become a free agent in February.
    After two seasons with the National Football League’s San Diego Chargers, Law rejoined the Stamps in September and he recorded three sacks, one fumble recovery and nine tackles in four regular-season games. The 28-year-old Whitfield, Ala., native had two sacks in the Western Final and one tackle and one knockdown in the Grey Cup.
    “Cordarro made a positive impact on our defence when he rejoined the team late in the year and I look forward to seeing what he’ll be able to contribute over the course of a full season,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. “The re-signings of Cordarro and Charleston Hughes this week — along with the presence of Ja’Gared Davis, who had a solid rookie season with us in 2016 — have definitely solidified our situation at the defensive end position.”
    Law previously played for the Stampeders in 2012 and 2013 and accumulated 15 sacks in 18 regular-season games over that period. He also had 46 defensive tackles — including five tackles for loss — eight special-teams tackles, one pass knockdown and one forced fumble.
    http://www.stampeders.com/2016/12/22...darro-returns/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bad news for CFL QBs: 2016 CFL sack leader Charleston Hughes has signed an extension with Calgary.

the pending free agent rush end agreed to a two-year contract extension with the Calgary Stampeders, the only CFL organization he’s ever known. ...
    After nine standout seasons coming off the edge at McMahon Stadium, Charleston Hughes is a gift that just keeps on giving.
    “It came together quite quickly at the end,’’ he relays. “I’m just happy it’s over with and now I can concentrate on Christmas and just being back home.
    “I didn’t know how the situation was going to play out. I had every intention of seeing what the free-agent situation was all about.
    “You always have that in the back of your mind, what’s out there, on the other side. You never know what your stock is valued at, what people think you’re worth. And this was all new to me.
    “But my first priority was always to exhaust all opportunities with Calgary; make sure I made the proper decision for both sides.
    http://www.stampeders.com/2016/12/21...estons-colour/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Cordarro Law has resigned with the Stampeders.

http://www.stampeders.com/2016/12/22...darro-returns/

The complication of the English language is something we take for granted. I was surprised to see that Cordero Law resigned from the Stampeders, but in further reading realized he re-signed with the Stampeders.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary has extended potential free agents Quinn Smith and Kamar Jordan.

On Tuesday, the Stampeders announced they’d re-signed Smith, ensuring that the 25-year-old wouldn’t be testing the market when the CFL’s free agency period opens in February.
    Since being selected seventh overall in the 2014 CFL Entry Draft, Smith has emerged as a consistent threat on the defensive side of the ball for the Stampeders. In 38 regular season games, he’s picked up 26 tackles and eight sacks, but his versatility has also allowed the Stampeders coaching staff to slot him in on the offensive line when injuries have left holes in the lineup. In the 2016 Grey Cup game, for example, Smith dressed as the sixth offensive lineman for the Stampeders.
    That versatility makes Smith a nice tool for the Stampeders. ...

Kamar Jorden also opted to re-up with the crew in Calgary. While Jorden first joined the Stampeders practice roster in 2013, he really began making a name for himself in the CFL this season. The 27-year-old played nine games, catching 42 passes for 580 yards and three touchdowns.

Considering that he was playing on one of the deepest receiving corps in the CFL, even breaking into the Stampeders’ starting lineup was an accomplishment for the Bowling Green State University product.
    His performances in Red & White suggested there’s a future in Calgary for Jorden, too, as he made at least three catches in 10 of his 11 games for the Stampeders last season, including two 100-yard games.
    http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foot...h-kamar-jorden

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Smith needs to stay off the juice as he has already been caught twice and suspended for three games this past season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders own review of 2016 day-by-day.

http://www.stampeders.com/2016/12/29...-back-at-2016/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Five Key Questions for the Stampeders according to the staff at the Calgary website. What is your assessment?

Can Bo Levi Mitchell be even better? ...

Who will break out for the Stamps in 2017? ...

How will the offensive line look in 2017? ...

Can Charleston Hughes break the franchise sack record? ...

How will the West shape up? ...
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/01/04...ions-for-2017/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After Calgary released Frank Beltre early, he signed with the Jets.

One year after adding CFL import Freddie Bishop to their linebacking corps, the Jets are looking up north once again to potentially bolster the group by signing former Calgary Stampeders linebacker, Frank Beltre.
    A native of the Dominican Republic who played his high school football locally at Randolph High School in Randolph, NJ, Bishop has spent a short time on a pair of NFL rosters with the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders.
    The undrafted Towson University product logged 19 tackles and 3 sacks in 9 games this season with Calgary.

http://www.jetnation.com/2017/01/09/jets-sign-cfl-linebacker-frank-beltre-to-reservefuture-contract/#sthash.VMSgMpeN.dpbs

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's an interview with twice All-Star DB Jamar Wall.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/01/11...ow-jamar-wall/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is an interview with Deron Mayo.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/01/17...ow-deron-mayo/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here is a highlight video of Micah Johnson's 2016 season.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/01/16...micah-johnson/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Marquay McDamiel's 2016 highlights are below.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/01/16...micah-johnson/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary has signed veteran Canadian DB Chris Rwabukamba, who spent time on the Stampeder PR at the end of last season.

“Chris joined our practice roster late in the season and he showed great versatility,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. “The team and the player are both looking forward to him having the opportunity to be with us from the start of training camp.”
    Rwabukamba (pronounced Ruh-buh-kahm-buh) has 67 games of CFL experience with three teams and has 79 tackles, 20 special-teams tackles, three interceptions, seven knockdowns, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and one sack to his credit. He was drafted by Hamilton in the fourth round (27th overall) in 2010 and played with the Ticats in 2011 and 2012. He was with the Edmonton Eskimos in 2013 and 2014 and the BC Lions in 2015.
    In college, Rwabukamba spent four seasons (2007-10) at Duke and played 45 games. He recorded 123 tackles, including 7.5 tackles for loss, two interceptions, one sack and one forced fumble for the Blue Devils. Rwabukamba was born in Rwanda but his family moved to the U.S. when he was three years old and then to Windsor, Ont., when he was six.
    “In my short time with the team last season, I quickly realized the Stampeders are a first-class organization,” said Rwabukamba. “At this stage of my career, I really want to win a championship and after coming so close last season, I want to make whatever contribution I can to helping the Stamps win a title in 2017.”
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/01/19/rwabukamba-signs/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders have extended HC Dave Dickenson through 2020.

“I’m very pleased that Ken King and the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation have provided their full support to the decision to make a long-term commitment to Dave as our head coach,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. “Dave had an exceptional first season as a head coach and I believe he will get even better as he gains more experience in the role.
    “This is the right move for our organization.” ...

In his first season as head coach, Dickenson led the Stamps to a 15-2-1 mark for a franchise single-season record of 31 standings points. With their Western Final win over the BC Lions, the 2016 Stamps became the first team in franchise history to go a combined 10-0 at home in regular-season and playoff action.
    Dickenson set the league record for most wins by a rookie head coach. Under Dickenson, who also acts as the Stamps’ offensive coordinator, Calgary scored the most points in the CFL in 2016 and also allowed the fewest.
    In the six seasons Dickenson has served as offensive coordinator, the Stamps have led the CFL in scoring four times and have never finished lower than second in points scored.
    http://www.cfl.ca/2017/01/20/stamps-...ickenson-2020/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Dickenson discusses his approach in Calgary while Hufnagel describes negotiations with last season's leading receiver, Marquay McDaniel, below.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foot...for-four-years

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary shows why it is a perennially top tier team by determining who it wants to resign and then going about doing that in such a manner that it leads the league with nine players resigned.

John Hufnagel has had a busy couple of months, but the work isn’t even close to being over.
    The Calgary Stampeders president/GM was tasked with sorting through a list of 26 potential free agents coming out of the 2016 season, and has so far managed to sign nine of those players to new deals, as well as extending the contracts of the entire Stampeders coaching staff.
    It’s a good start, but Hufnagel’s a long way from the finish line as he attempts to build next year’s roster.
    “I’m very pleased about our coaching staff all coming back,” Hufnagel said. “The extension of (Stampeders head coach Dave Dickenson), obviously, I’m pleased with.
    “The fact that we’ve been able to sign nine players, more than anybody else in the Canadian Football League, I did have a little bit of salary cap room that I was able to use and that helped. I’m not sure that’s going to occur each and every year as we move forward.”
    So far, Hufnagel has managed to get several of the biggest names on last year’s roster to put pen-to-paper.
    CFL sack-leader Charleston Hughes re-upped with the club, as did defensive lineman Cordarro Law. Together, they give the Stamps some serious experience and athleticism heading into the new year.
    But Frank Beltre was released and signed with the New York Jets, and Stamps fans are keeping their fingers crossed that defensive lineman Micah Johnson won’t seek greener pastures.
    The same goes for linebacker Glenn Love, who quietly had a major impact on the team’s run to the Grey Cup final last year.
    While Hufnagel didn’t go into detail about his negotiations with specific players at a Friday press conference at McMahon Stadium, he did say that Love was still in the picture and said that for players exploring their NFL options, the window to return to the Stampeders was closing.
    “I hope that I’d have conversations with their agents by the end of today,” Hufnagel said. “But I don’t think that’s going to happen.
    “So beginning of next week I would like to be hearing from those agents or I’m going to have to spend my money elsewhere.”
    While it’s unclear which players exactly have been testing the NFL waters – although Derek Dennis was rumoured to be checking out his options – there’s one thing that’s not up for debate: The Stampeders need to get some of their receivers signed.
    At the top of that list is Marquay McDaniel, who led the team in receiving yards last season and earned constant praise from quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell.
    “Right now, I’m waiting for his advisor to reach out to me again,” Hufnagel said. “I have sent an e-mail message and a phone call and he’ll get back to me soon.”
    Ideally, Hufnagel would probably like to get as any of his targets signed before free agency opens on Feb. 14 as possible.
    That’s not always realistic, though, even if there will probably be a considerable amount of activity around McMahon Stadium over the next couple of weeks.
    “I have some work to do, but everyone has a lot of work to do, and when free agency does start, we’ll see what happens then,” Hufnagel said. “It may be a crapshoot. Every year is different, I think this is going to be a different year. I believe most teams, as I am right now, are up to the high water ark as far as money available.”
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/01/21...-for-stamps-gm

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders continue to solidify their team by signing Centre and former first overall pick Pierre Lavertu.

A former first overall pick and a veteran centre of three years, Lavertu was the top-ranked offensive lineman on CFL.ca’s list of the top 30 pending free agents.
    “I’m pleased that Pierre has committed to the Stampeders,” said president and general manager John Hufnagel. “I’m looking forward to him being healthy again and getting back in the lineup.”
    “Pierre is a great communicator and a great leader on our offensive line,” said head coach Dave Dickenson. “We’re a better team with Pierre in the lineup and we’re happy to have him back.” ...
    After starting all 18 games at centre and becoming the anchor of the Stamps’ O-line in 2015, a season-ending knee injury sidelined Lavertu eight starts into his 2016 campaign.
    While his availability for the start of the season may be up in the air, the 26-year-old will have a key persence on the Stamps’ O-line in 2017 — one that has led the league with the fewest sacks allowed in each of the last two seasons.
    “It was always my goal to return to the Stampeders and I’m very happy to continue my career in Calgary,” said Lavertu. “From the moment I arrived, I fell in love with the fans and the organization. I feel like we have unfinished business as a team and I’m looking forward to getting back on the field.”
    http://www.cfl.ca/2017/01/24/stamps-...act-extension/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With his NFL aspirations apparently dashed, the CFL's 2016 Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman, Derek Dennis, appears set to test free agency.

A large fish could be swimming in the CFL free-agent pond when teams start dropping lines in the water next month.
    After checking out NFL interest since his Calgary Stampeders were upset in the Grey Cup two months ago, all-star left tackle Derek Dennis has set his sights on a return to the three-down game and the sizeable contract that’s sure to come along with it.
    Coming off being named the CFL’s top offensive lineman last year in his first full season as a starter, Dennis worked out for the Chicago Bears and Washington Redskins in Dece mber, but interest in the 28-year-old could be best described as lukewarm. ...

There wasn’t any guaranteed money to be had down south, which has Dennis narrowing his focus leading into the start of CFL free agency Feb. 14.
    That puts the Stampeders on the clock, giving them an exclusive three-week negotiating window with their 6-foot-3, 341-pound blindside protector.
    Dennis will command a hefty contract, with the realistic starting point somewhere in the range of $180,000, which would put him in the vicinity of the CFL’s highest-paid American left tackles.
    B.C. Lions stalwart Jovan Olafioye, 29, Ottawa RedBlacks’ SirVincent Rogers, 30, and Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ Stanley Bryant, 30, have all played at an all-star level and they’ve all been paid at an all-star level.
    Dennis, 28, should be the next.
    Whether or not it’ll be Calgary forking that loot over is another story altogether as general manager John Hufnagel has been busy locking up his terrific Canadian trio of Shane Bergman, Spencer Wilson, and, on Tuesday, centre Pierre Lavertu to lucrative deals.
    Hufnagel also balked at paying Bryant the $160,000 he was asking for in free agency two years ago, preferring to develop a young American or two instead, a plan that worked out beautifully when Dennis emerged.
    Now the question will be whether he views Dennis differently or if the Queens, N.Y., native will have to shop his services elsewhere to find the contract he wants.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/25...urn-to-the-cfl

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    DB Tommie Campbell has been arrested on drug charges.

Stampeder defensive back Tommie Campbell is facing numerous drug charges in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, and has turned himself in to local police, according to WPXI News.
    Aliquippa police chief Don Couch says that Campbell, 29, ran from his mother’s house when police arrived early Tuesday morning. Campbell dropped a bag while fleeing, in which police reportedly found 180 grams of crack cocaine and over $3,000 in cash. ...

he police told WPXI that they believe Campbell was selling drugs out of his mother’s home.
    Campbell denies the allegations, according to his attorney Steve Colafella,
    “He says he didn’t do it. He was quite frank about it with the court," Colafella said. "He wants his name cleared."
    Campbell played previously for the Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars in the NFL before signing with Calgary in May of 2016. He ranked third on the team in total tackles with 71 and intercepted three passes in 18 games.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...-drug-charges/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Tommie Campbell may have thrown away his pro football career.

For those close to Calgary Stampeder All-Star Tommie Campbell, that's the greatest fear — that somehow, a man on the top of his game in the Canadian Football League has found a way to ruin his professional sports career, going from the locker room to the big lock up.

"This has just knocked us on our fannies — we're all just devastated," says John Luckhardt, a retired American football coach who played a significant role in Campbell's success.

"If there's any truth to this, it's just really dispiriting to hear."

On Tuesday, police in Campbell's hometown of Aliquippa, Pennsylvania told reporters the Stampeders defensive back had been arrested on drug charges, after the 29-year-old turned himself in at the police station.

Earlier that day officers had gone to the home of Campbell's mother, a brick bungalow frequently decorated with homemade signs proudly supporting Tommie, the latest batch hanging during November's Grey Cup game.

According to Aliquippa Police Chief Don Couch, officers believed the CFL star was using his mom's home as a base to sell drugs in the off-season.

Being a big deal in Aliquippa, an economically-depressed borough of Pittsburgh still struggling with the loss of the local steel industry, Campbell's arrest was top news, and Couch made a statement to local television reporters:

"Tommie is known and loved in this town, we all are very proud of his success in the upper levels of football, in professional football, but unfortunately when this happens we have to do our job," Couch told WPXI.

"On the one hand, you have this local kid who did good and was in the NFL. On the other hand, I have a job to do and selling drugs is a crime."

Campbell is denying the drug charges, and his lawyer says the former NFL player, who spent five years with the Tennessee Titans and the Jacksonville Jaguars, will fight to clear his name.

His former coach wants that to happen almost as much as Campbell surely does.

It was John Luckhardt who helped lift Campbell up from his previous low-point in life, after the star high-school player — a first-team All-State wide receiver and safety — managed to flunk his way out of a University of Pittsburgh scholarship, and then a second-chance stint at Division II Edinboro University.
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/01/25...ach-devastated