Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Tough to read where Calgary is right now. Did they peak too early, or did they shut it down with nothing to play for after clinching the division?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure I've ever seen a 1st place, supposed powerhouse CFL team turn to looking like $hite so bad to end a season as the Stumps have shown lately ?

Their offence has become a total pop-gun joke lately - Bovine Mitchell afraid to throw downfield or else often inaccurate when he tries passes more than 10 yards or so; Messam looking like he has lost it, with no confidence in his skills; and an O-line that has had to go thru quite a few changes due to injury, but looks like it has forgot how to both run block & pass protect.

They still have a real strong (but IMO over-rated ) D and outstanding special teams, so that could win in the play-offs, but that offence looks horrible now and IMO they will not get out of the West playing like that. Maybe Bo has been injured/nicked some (shoulder apparently) and the rest till the West Final will help him get it together, plus maybe their whole offence gets to re-focus or re-energize ?

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Not sure I've ever seen a 1st place, supposed powerhouse CFL team turn to looking like $hite so bad to end a season as the Stumps have shown lately ?

Their offence has become a total pop-gun joke lately - Bovine Mitchell afraid to throw downfield or else often inaccurate when he tries passes more than 10 yards or so; Messam looking like he has lost it, with no confidence in his skills; and an O-line that has had to go thru quite a few changes due to injury, but looks like it has forgot how to both run block & pass protect.

They still have a real strong (but IMO over-rated ) D and outstanding special teams, so that could win in the play-offs, but that offence looks horrible now and IMO they will not get out of the West playing like that. Maybe Bo has been injured/nicked some (shoulder apparently) and the rest till the West Final will help him get it together, plus maybe their whole offence gets to re-focus or re-energize ?
    They get off to too good a start perhaps?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Stampeder LB Anthony McClanahan has been accused of murdering his wife.

ormer Calgary Stampeders who played alongside Anthony McClanahan reacted with shock and sadness to news of the tragic circumstances surrounding the former linebacker.
    Police say McClanahan is the prime suspect in the stabbing death of his 28-year-old wife, Keri, early Thursday morning and is being held in a jail in Park City, Utah, without bail.
    Charges have not been laid.
    McClanahan faces unrelated child kidnapping charges after allegedly taking his eight-year-old son from a previous relationship from an Arizona school without permission and driving him to Las Vegas and then Utah last month.
    It’s all a terrible turn for the player-turned personal trainer who sprinkled in plenty of charity work throughout his career.

“To me, it’s shocking because you never think you’re going to know somebody that’s part of any of that,” said Jay McNeil, who was a Stampeders offensive lineman when McClanahan played in Calgary from 1995-98.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...ony-mcclanahan

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Rob Cote and Josh Bell have been recognized for their off-field activities as a Stampeder.

Stamps fullback Rob Cote was announced as the team’s nominee for the 2017 Jake Gaudaur Veterans Awards, which is given annually to the CFL player who “best demonstrates the attributes of Canada’s veterans.”
    Then, Stamps safety Josh Bell was honoured as the 2017 winner of the Herm Harrison Memorial Award. Every year, the award goes to the player who distinguishes himself in the field of community service.

While Bell was named one of the Stampeders captains this year and was a key cog in the team’s dominant defensive machine, his work on the field is barely as impressive as what he does away from the football stadium.
    He mentors young men and women in both Calgary and his native Dallas, while also providing financial assistance to low-income families.
    In the off-season, Bell volunteers as a track coach at Skyline High School in Dallas, while offering guidance and moral support to young athletes. He also coaches track in Calgary, as well.
    To top it off, the 32-year-old has organized an annual charity flag-football program with approximately 100 kids from Dallas-area schools participating every year. ...

Cote, meanwhile, is a no-brainer nominee for an award that goes to a player who demonstrates the attributes of Canada’s veterans, which the Stamps described as “strength, perseverance, courage, comradeship and contribution to the community.”
    In his 11th season, Cote is the Stampeders’ longest-serving player and has been a team captain for the past six seasons. He provides an example on the field for his teammates to follow and off the field is a spokesman for Hospice Calgary and a regular at charitable events.
    http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foot...8-bbeaba71b8ff

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In addition to winning the Herm Harrison Memorial Award for community service, Joshua Bell has also won the President's Ring.

The Presidents’ Ring has been presented annually since 1967 to the Stampeders player who best demonstrates excellence on and off the field as voted by the players. Candidates are judged on their in-game contributions, leadership, inspiration and motivational skills. ...
    In his fourth season with the Stampeders and his sixth in the CFL, Bell served as one of Calgary’s team captains. He started 15 games at safety and had 31 tackles including a tackle for loss. He also had one sack, one interception, two knockdowns, one forced fumble and three QB pressures.For his career, Bell has played 86 regular-season games and accumulated 206 tackles, 16 special-teams tackles, one sack, five interceptions, two forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. Bell started his career with two seasons as a member of the BC Lions before joining the Stampeders as a free agent. He was a starter for the Stamps’ Grey Cup-championship team in 2014.
    In addition to his play on the field, Bell often delivers emotional pre-game speeches to the players in the locker room and he started the practice – since picked up by other members of the defence – of painting his face in team colours for games. ...
    “Joshua is a strong, steadying presence for us both on defence and in the locker room,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. “His leadership and on-field contributions make him an excellent choice for the Presidents’ Ring.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2017/11/1...esidents-ring/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    A key to the Western Final is whether the best defence in the league can stop the best QB in the league this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    A key to the Western Final is whether the best defence in the league can stop the best QB in the league this season.
    I say Calgary will win this. Everybody's hard on the Esks bandwagon, but I still think Calgary is the better team.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    If Calgary wins, I hope it's because of a controversial play/challenge just to see Maas go insane.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    If Calgary wins, I hope it's because of a controversial play/challenge just to see Maas go insane.
    Oh that would be great TV.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The Stumps offence has to get it's act together after looking just horrible for a good part of late in the season; they have the strong D and the very good special teams that can carry a team to victory.

The Esks have more talent IMO - on both offence & defence (too bad Sherritt & Greenwood were not there for that D); but coaching smarts - play calls, adjustments, etc. could be the real key.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Oh that would be great TV.
    That would be highly amusing, however I think that Edmonton will prevail: not lacking at QB, excellent receiver corps, entirely rejuvenated Gable, Calgary has played rather badly recently and I'm not sure that the tap can be turned on again so easily, especially against a motivated opponent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is a detailed description of Alex Singleton's rapid rise to stardom in the CFL.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/16/long-r...t-rising-star/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Dickensen is still thinking about who will play RB for the Stampeders tomorrow.

With Jerome Messam expected to start and kick returner Roy Finch likely serving as his backup, it’s unclear whether the Stampeders can find room for either Dominique Williams or Terry Williams.
    Having three running backs on the roster – two of whom are American – isn’t something the Stampeders have done since Week 13, but it’s possible that head coach Dave Dickenson will shuffle his lineup to include another option on the ground in Sunday’s West Division Final at McMahon Stadium.
    “I’m thinking about it — I really am,” Dickenson said. “I think the guys who have been repping have different qualities. I would expect three tailback-type of guys that certainly could play.”
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...-running-backs

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Kamar Jorden thinks being considered an underdog is an advantage for the Stampeders.

In his mind, it’s just another chance to prove people wrong. “It’s kind of been a position where we haven’t really been too often, for years really, and it’s kind of put a chip on our shoulder,” Jorden said. “We’ve got something to prove. We just want to focus on us, focus on getting on the same page and kinda getting that swagger back.” ...
    For Jorden, though, having something to prove is his natural setting. If you want to call him or his team the underdog, he’s cool with it. “I felt like that my whole career in football and everything in life,” Jorden said. “Coming from where I came from, really there was nobody that made it professionally — there wasn’t a lot of people I knew growing up who got football scholarships coming out of high school. Really, every level I’ve been at, I kind of had to prove myself.”
    Sunday offers another opportunity for Jorden to prove himself, which is honestly a little bit ridiculous given the way he burst out of the gates this year. ...

Through the first six weeks of the CFL season, Jorden was leading the league in receiving touchdowns and was in the top-five in receiving yards.

After three years spent fighting for a chance with the Stampeders, Jorden was arguably the most talked-about player in the CFL until a leg injury sidelined him for almost three months. Memories are short, though, and now, he’s part of a Stampeders receiving unit that’s being largely overshadowed by their counterparts in Edmonton heading into the West final.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...doubters-wrong

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I don't think Maas was disrespecting Calgary's offence, as Singleton says below, but rather made a very poor emotional judgement on what the best choice would be and overestimated the chances of a quick successful stop by his defence when his team was third and four on the Calgary 13 with 1:56 to go. However, Bo Levi Mitchell's response to Singleton's honest assessment of the situation is a classic and humorous example of sports-interview doublespeak.

The only player to give an honest answer was Stamps linebacker Alex Singleton
    “I thought they were disrespecting our offence,” Singleton said when asked about the decision.
    “To think they could come out and stop them after we rushed for 150 yards in a half with 1:40 left was a bad call in my opinion.”
    It was an opinion Eskimos quarterback Mike Reilly couldn’t share, publicly at least, insisting he’d never question a coach’s decision.
    Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell rolled his eyes when asked about the botched call — effectively concurring it was idiotic, before answering with classy diplomacy.
    “I should have answered the question first so (Singleton) knew how to answer it — we don’t want to comment on what they do,” Mitchell said with a chuckle, playfully elbowing his teammate before being a little more forthcoming.
    “If we were in the same situation, I think I’d be surprised because they went for it on third-and-10 and thought they’d go for it again because they would put us in a situation where if they don’t get it we’re on the five-yard line against the wind and we can’t take a safety because then they’re only down by three. Hard to tell as a coach.”
    Not really.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...amps-singleton

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders are thanking the media for spurring them on with their reminders that last year's team didn't succeed after a dominant regular season.

http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...say-stampeders

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Marquay Mc Daniel is aching for a do-over after last year's loss in the Grey Cup.

https://www.stampeders.com/2017/11/2...niels-do-over/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Stampeder DEs Charleston Hughes and Ja'Gared Davis have different views on the Argos as the Grey Cup approaches. Trestman should post Hughes words for all to see, especially the Argo OL.

Charleston Hughes has sacked more quarterbacks than any other CFL player over the last two seasons. Maybe that’s why the outspoken Calgary Stampeder defensive end snorted when asked if Toronto Argonaut quarterback Ricky Ray was hard to catch. “Ricky Ray is not difficult to take down,” said Hughes, who led the league with 11 sacks and had 19 quarterback pressures during the regular season. “He’s one of the easier quarterbacks to sack. When he sees you coming he’s going to turtle.”
    Ja’Gared Davis, Hughes’ bookend on the Stampeder front four, was a little more retrospective when talking about Ray. “He’s a savvy quarterback,” said Davis, who had nine sacks this year. “He’s a guy who has been in this league for a long time. He’s seen and dealt with every kind of pass rush and stunts. Pretty much everything you have to throw at him, he has seen. He has weathered the storm on every occasion.” ...
    “With him (Wilder) and Rickie Ray, it’s like a two-head tiger,” said Davis. “It’s hard to just key on one guy because you know you got the other guy waiting to get his chance to get at our defence.” ...

Calgary (13-4-1) allowed 349 points this season and limited teams to 314.7 yards a game, both league lows. But, as the Stampeders learned in their upset 39-33 loss to the Ottawa REDBLACKS at last year’s Grey Cup, season statistics mean little in a one-game showdown. ...
    “We were a punching bag last year when we first started the game,” said safety Joshua Bell. “We were kind of catching instead of attacking. We may be attacking a little too much this year.”
    https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/24/stamps...-argos-attack/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    As Nik Lewis wraps up his on-field career, after spending most of it with Calgary, he showed up at CFL Commissioner's media event to ask about player safety on a media pass. He is also exploring whether he has any career options as a coach.

The former Calgary Stampeders receiver, who changed his aliases annually, is in the nation’s capital with an eye on making his next career move.
    Although he has one year left on his CFL contract with the Montreal Alouettes, the 35-year-old was injured and used sparingly this year as part of what many saw as his farewell tour of a league in which he recently became the all-time leading receiver. While his plan is to sit down to with whomever the Alouettes hire as their head coach to discuss his future, in all likelihood he’ll move on to the media, coaching or … heck … maybe even acting.
    “I grew up wanting to be a coach, not play professional football — this football life has been extra,” said the colourful Texan. “All this has helped me become a better coach.”
    As an accredited media member this week, hosting podcasts for 3DownNation, Lewis showed up Friday at the commissioner’s annual state of the league news conference where he pressed Randy Ambrosie on the health of players’ brains. “I’d do media — I’ve talked to TSN as I’ve always been interested in doing different things,” said Lewis, who defied odds to dominate as a 5-foot-10, 240-lb. receiver. “Anything to expand the portfolio and keep your options open is a good thing.”
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...-second-career