Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM John Hufnagel talks about how difficult it was to trade Charleston Hughes in the video below.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/0...-hughes-trade/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary has signed 2017 sixth round DL Alexandre Gagnon who returned to Sherbrooke University after attending Stampeder TC last year.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/0...xandre-gagnon/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders' chances of hosting another Grey Cup have been reduced but not eliminated by the state of McMahon Stadium.

The state of McMahon Stadium doesn’t officially disqualify Calgary from hosting another Grey Cup, but it probably won’t help much, either.
    On Tuesday, CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie spoke with Calgary Stampeders season ticket holders at the local stop on a cross-country fan-engagement tour. Asked specifically whether the aging McMahon would prevent the city from hosting the CFL’s championship game, Ambrosie said the 57-year-old stadium would not disqualify Calgary. “I think, again, all the teams that are bidding on Grey Cups have to take into account what they have available to them and then make their bid based on those realities,” Ambrosie said. “The thing about Grey Cups is, obviously, the big game is the epicentre of the whole thing, but communities are building around that with great festival concepts. I think Calgary needs to have a new stadium. I would love to see that for so many reasons. This is one of Canada’s greatest cities, I would (encourage) everyone to get to the table and figure this out.”

Calgary has hosted the Grey Cup four times, most recently in 2009, but with new stadiums popping up in Winnipeg, Regina and Toronto in recent years – while Ottawa’s TD Place stadium got major renovations – it might be a while before the big game comes back.
    McMahon Stadium is by no means dilapidated, but it lacks the modern amenities that most other CFL facilities now boast.
    Another piece that might be missing from any Calgary Grey Cup bid is an indoor practice facility, something that has become almost essential to hosting the event. ...

It’s hard to imagine the CFL asking teams to prepare for the league’s showcase game in the sort of weather conditions that often hit Calgary in late November.

“I’m not sure (an indoor practice facility) is a requirement, but these are things that are all going into the bid packages,” Ambrosie said. “They’re part of that broader story of how do you make for a great Grey Cup experience not just for the fans but for the teams themselves.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...other-grey-cup

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/02/09/stamps...quay-mcdaniel/

Saw this one coming a mile away, considering Marquay's age, production, and salary.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary has also told Jerome Messam to test free agency, feeling that at 32 Messam is likely winding down and not wanting to pay out a large contract to him, especially when last year's backup, the much cheaper and younger Terry Williams, looked so good in producing a 8.9 yard rushing average, admittedly in limited action.This does not mean however that the Stampeders would not resign Messam if other teams are not willing to bid high to sign him.

http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...ut-free-agency

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    2017 eighth round draft choice WR Richard Sindani has signed with Calgary. He attended TC last year and had a couple of catches in preseason games.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/0...chard-sindani/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With the retirements of Josh Bell and Rob Cote, the trade of Charleston Hughes, and the release of Jerome Messam and Marquay McDaniel, the Stampeders are clearly undergoing a youth movement. Not including other players who have yet to resign and could go elsewhere in free agency, Calgary now has only five players who are 30 or older on their roster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Getting rid of many of their older stars has now enabled the Stampeders to have the money to resign the CFL 2016 Most Outstanding Rookie, Davaris Daniels who is 25, and arguably the best available National receiver, Anthony Parker, who is 28, on the eve of free agency.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ese Mrabure discusses why he signed as a free agent with the Stampeders below.

“Heading into free agency I got a lot of feedback from guys around the league, and even before, to be honest,’’ said Mrabure. “And any time I’ve talked to someone about Calgary or somebody came from Calgary to either B.C. or the Riders, I heard absolutely nothing but amazing things.
    “About the guys who play for the team. The people who take care of the team. The coaches. All-around, across the board, the organization is rich in family-oriented vibes.
    “On top of that, it’s a proven winning program.
    “Then just looking at the defensive line and the likes of Ja’Gared Davis and Micah Johnson, I felt like my athleticism mixed well with what they already do. It’s a perfect fit.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/1...-sold-calgary/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Tiger Cat International free agent DB Emanuel Davis says signing with the Stampeders was a no-brainer.

“It’s a winning culture, it’s a first-class culture,” said the international defensive back. “I’ve talked to a lot of guys that have been over in Calgary and they talk real highly about the program and the people in the program. They’re highly recommended through the league and I felt like it was a no-brainer for me.” ...
    “A fresh start is priceless,” said the native of Manteo, North Carolina. “You get rid of any baggage or any misconceptions or anything like that. A fresh start is a fresh start, I’m coming in to play football and make plays and just contribute to the team.”Davis has amassed 191 defensive tackles, 10 interceptions, six forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries, four touchdowns and a sack in 61 regular-season games over five CFL seasons. ...
    “I’ve always watched those guys from afar,” said Davis, who joins a defensive backfield that features the likes of Jamar Wall, Brandon Smith, Shaquille Richardson and Ciante Evans. “(you steal) little techniques from those guys cause I know they’ve kind of had an older group, so those guys know the tricks of the trade. I’ve always watched them from afar and it’s going to be good to get on the field with those guys.”
    A two-time East Division all-star in 2015 and 2016, Davis was limited to six games last season due to injury, and is eager to show he belongs in one of the league’s best secondaries.
    “I think I can bring just that love for the game, just the hard work and blue-collar mentality — willing to do anything for a win,” said Davis. “I feel like my track record speaks for itself. I know the game, the CFL game, and I’ve been able to make plays in the past and I think I feel like I can bring that play-making ability, that hunger. I’m a team guy first so I feel like I can be a chameleon and blend in and do things to help the program a lot.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/1...emanuel-davis/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM John Hufnagel comments on the Stampeder signings and how the new players into the team. In the video he also says that he has a verbal commitment from another player. I think the player he is referring to is Derek Dennis who is reported to be returning to Calgary now. When asked about free agent Davaris Daniels returning to the Stampeders because he hasn't signed with anyone, Hufnagel said he was "all tapped out now", so it sounds like that won't happen.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/1...ents-16-02-18/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Derek Dennis in the interview below talks about how much he loved being back in Calgary, in the process saying even more between the lines about his time in Riderville.

“It was an adjustment,’’ says Dennis, who Friday returned to the Stampeders fold after emigrating to Saskatchewan to join the rival Roughriders exactly a year and a day ago.
    “I’m not going to say I didn’t miss being in Calgary, around the people in that organization and the players in that locker-room. I did. I missed the atmosphere. We had fun moments in Sask, some good times, but it just didn’t feel the same.
    “I spent time with the Patriots and I always compare my two years in Calgary with my time in New England. You’ve got blue-chip guys in a set culture who come in every day and work hard, but they have fun, enjoy being around each other. Just a great environment to be a part of.” ...

“Last year, I thought I’d make a decision for my family – my little boy (Kayson) is four-months old now – and make a little more money than I thought I could in Calgary.
    “Running after the money, I put myself in a bad situation. Now I’m back in a situation where I know people want me, care about me, and I’ll be successful.
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/1...s-coming-home/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders have included written descriptions of the players on their negotiation list whose names have been released at the url below.

CALGARY STAMPEDERS
    Josh Allen OT Louisiana-Monroe
    Keyarris Garrett WR Tulsa
    Bennett Jackson DB Notre Dame
    Anthony Johnson DT LSU
    Tommylee Lewis WR Northern Illinois
    Givens Price OT Nebraska
    Tyler Rogers QB New Mexico State
    Brandon Silvers QB Troy
    Greg Ward Jr. QB/WR Houston
    Tourek Williams DE Florida International
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/2...otiation-list/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Daniel Austin suggests that DB Bennett Jackson is

Considered by some to be the most likely player on the Stamps’ list to make an impact in Calgary soon, Jackson was a sixth-round draft pick by the New York Giants in 2014 after an impressive career at Notre Dame, but has had his pro career derailed by several injuries. He signed a futures contract with the Baltimore Ravens in January.
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/2...otiation-list/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Daryl Slade has just written a book entitled 'Sugarfoot' on Ezzrett "Sugarfoot" Anderson, one of the first African American football players to break the colour barrier in both the US and Canada. He played for the Stampeders from 1949 to 1954, but he was much more than that. Over a 97 year lifetime that only ended last year, he was a Hollywood actor, disc jockey, jazz musician, bandlieader, heavy duty mechanic and service station owner, who maintained in his connection to the Stampeders and the Calgary community throughout his life. He won a Canadian legacy award for bringing the Blues to Canada.

https://globalnews.ca/video/4008605/...rfoot-anderson

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Free agent National DB Adam Berger was attracted to signing with the Stampeders when former teammate Joshua Bell told him he was considering retiring to become a coach, opening up a starting position in the defensive backfield.

When that move was confirmed in early February, Berger knew where he wanted to be.
    “Immediately, Calgary jumped off the page to me as somewhere that I really, really wanted to return to,” said Berger. “Obviously, they treated me well and they have a great team and a great organization, so I always would have been okay going back. But as soon as that kind of happened, I was really, really hoping that [I would go back], and then it all worked out on signing day, so yeah, it was perfect.”
    Because the Stampeders were previously utilizing an international safety in Bell, Berger decided that it made sense to explore other options during last year’s free agency, ultimately choosing to sign with the RedBlacks.
    The emergence of national player Tunde Adeleke at the safety position this past season, coupled with Bell’s move to defensive backs coach, made a return to Calgary more than ideal for Berger.
    “It was kind of a two-fold thing where I’m good friends with [Bell] and I know he’s going to be an excellent coach so that had its own draw,” he explained. “But then also the fact that the team was moving towards a Canadian safety also had a big draw, giving me opportunity to be a backup or whatever my role is going to be there, it will possibly be more significant than when I was first there.”
    Berger expects Adeleke to be “the guy” for the Stampeders when they kick off their 2018 season, and that’s just fine with him.
    For now, at least.
    “Anywhere I sign, I want to start, I want to play as much as I can. So I’m coming into camp ready, I’m going to be competing, I’m going to make sure he’s on his A-game and knows all his stuff and all that,” said Berger. “But at the end of the day, I try to put my ego aside for what’s best for the team, and if he’s our guy going forth then I will support him 100 percent. If something happens, whatever happens, and I’m in there, I’m going to be ready to go.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/02/2...e-wants-to-be/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    International LB Deron Mayo has not played since October 15, 2016 when he blew out his knee. He resigned with Calgary on the first day of free agency, probably because other teams weren't willing to take a risk on someone out so long with an injury.
    At the time of the injury he was a team captain and leading the team in tackles, but he will be turning 30 before the end of the month making age and the wear and tear of a veteran factors both in his rate of recovery and how he is perceived in TC, if he is able to play by then.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary has made major changes in its core group of players following consecutive losses in the Grey Cup game to teams with much worse regular season records, the RedBlacks and the Argos, getting younger and cheaper in the process.

Gone are 30 and over
    Jerome Messam, Charleston Hughes, Marquay McDaniel, Josh Bell, Rob Cote, Joe Burnett and Tommie Campbell through either free agency, trade or retirement, leaving the Stampeders with only five players 30 or older. Furthermore, two of these are kickers Rene Paredes and Rob Maver, who tend to age out more slowly because the demands on their bodies are less.

This has given them enough cap space to extend: the league's top ST player 26 year old Roy Finch; one of the top National WR 28 year old Anthony Parker;
    get 29 year old Derek Dennis back to bolster their OL; sign promising 25 year old National free agent Ese Mrabure; and keep the CFL 2016 Most Outstanding Rookie, 25 year old Davaris Daniels. The Stampeders also signed three DBs: National 27 year old Adam Berger whose skills the Stamps know well as he played four years in Calgary before going to Ottawa last year; and two Internationals 29 year old, six year Calgary veteran Deron Mayo, and former Tiger Cat 2015 and 2016 Eastern All Star, 28 year old Emanuel Davis. Mayo and Davis, although talented, likely are gambles but were relatively cheap to sign because of long-term injuries hampering them last year.

The team has kept DL James Vaughters (24), Cordarro Law (29), and Ja'Gared Davis (27). Terry Williams, who is 25, is likely to replace Messam at RB.
    Their other receivers are Internationals Kamar Jorden (28), Marken Michel (24), Reggie Begelton (24) and Nationals Lemar Durant (25) and Juwan Brescacin (25).

With such a young, deep and talented lineup Calgary could be challenging for the Grey Cup for many years to come.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Yesterday I left out one of the very best players on Calgary, some would say the best, in describing this young talented team because I was focusing on the loss of aging veterans and the addition of young players: 24 year old Most Outstanding Defensive Player, Alex Singleton. The Stampeders also have another young good linebacker in 23 year old Jameer Thurman. So the main problem the team will face in future years will be trying to keep this deep core of young players together as free agency beckons. So far they have been better at that than other teams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bo Levi Mitchell and Alex Singleton, already two of the best players on the team, have hired a personal trainer to help them maximize their fitness in preparation for the season. Mitchell also works with athletic therapist Jeff Peach on his shoulder.

In preparations for the upcoming season, Mitchell and middle linebacker Alex Singleton have added a U.K. import -personal trainer Tim Neenan – to the mix. Jeff Peach continues to aid in sharpening the 2016 MOP’s throwing mechanics and strengthening that meal-ticket right shoulder.
    “Those guys,’’ Mitchell enthuses, “are both awesome. I started my training at the Olympic Centre at home, like to build a base there, with my group, Alex and all those guys.
    “Tim helps me create that perfect program so that when I head off for a month – like now – I’ve got my plan in place.
    “It’s pretty easy to push yourself when you’ve got a trainer sitting right there, watching you, telling you do every rep. But when you get into a gym, by yourself, I think it builds that mental toughness to make yourself finish.”
    Mitchell begins his Hawaiian training day with a morning run, Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays, before heading off to a local football field for – among other things – hill sprints, then over to the gym for a 45-minute stretch/warm-up and a further 45 minutes on rehab, including a throwing program using a two-pound ball.
    Depending, that work is often supplemented by another hour and a half of strength exercises.
    “At the end of the day, I hit around three, three-and-a-half hours, depending on whether I’m throwing,’’ reckons Mitchell.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/03/0...rd-off-season/