Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    National Tunde Adeleke is penciled in to take over International Joshua Bell's job as at safety with Bell retiring to become a Stampeder coach.

“Oh, he’ll be fine,” Joshua Bell is quick to assure one and all of Tunde Adeleke. “Just fine.
    “Physically he has the skills and ability, he has the speed and the burst. He’s willing to throw his body around and that allows him to be a sure tackler.What was important is when he got here, he was able to grasp the concepts that we did, to mimic the veterans, see what they saw and if he made a mistake, it didn’t happen again. When you’d talk to him about why we do things, look him straight in the eye, he was like: ‘OK, I got this. It’s cool.’ And you knew – knew – that it was. He understands. A smart player. I taught him all I could last year and I’ll continue to do whatever I can. He has everything you need to be a dominant safety in the league.” ...

“I’m pretty confident I can fill the role,” says Adeleke. “I’ve had a whole off-season to work on what I learned last year. With Josh not being there, I feel there’s an opening for me and it’s an opportunity I have to make the most of. I know there’s going to be competition. I know it’s something I’ll have to fight for. But that’s football." ...

As much as anyone possibly could, Adeleke – a third-round selection out of the Carleton Ravens program in the 2017 draft – understands the chasm he hopes to bridge if he is indeed to be the one chosen to replace a mainstay: A captain. A President’s Ring and Herm Harrison Memorial Award recipient.
    “Josh had told me maybe a month before the news officially came out about his plans,’’ he confesses. “So I knew what was going on.
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/03/08/tunde-ready-take/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's a highlight reel for 2017 Western nominee for Rookie of the Year, Marken Michel, a very good player who had the misfortune of going up against James Wilder Jr. for CFL Rookie of the Year.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/03/1...marken-michel/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Alex Singleton talks about why he wants to stay in the CFL.

“Bouncing around the NFL,’’ Alex Singleton is recalling, “doing that whole thing … well, it’s no fun, let me tell you.
    “I knew when I got here I didn’t want to do that anymore. Oh, man, I worked out for 13 (NFL) teams, was on three more and none of them for longer than a month. To say I bounced around, a bunch, would be an understatement. Living out of a suitcase, in hotels, all the time is … hard.
    “It wears on you. And I’m from a small school. I wasn’t like I went to a Miami or an Alabama, so when I showed up somewhere in the NFL I already knew five guys on the team. When I showed up, I knew me. Everywhere I went, not only did I have to learn a new playbook, I had to meet new people. Literally, it’s like going to a new school in a new country where you didn’t speak the language – every single week. By the time I did get to know people, I was on my way somewhere else.
    “It was awful.” ...

“That’s why when I got here I signed a 2-and-1, instead of a 1-and-1,’’ explains the CFL’s reigning Most Outstanding Defensive Player. “I wanted the security of having a home, an actual training base, instead of every other month, every other week, living somewhere else, somewhere unfamiliar, starting all over again.
    “And it’s been perfect.” ...

“You know what makes this place great? The people. I know you hear that all the time, about a lot of places, but here it’s true. Everyone’s so friendly. Doesn’t take long to feel at home in Calgary. I do all the volunteer stuff, the Special Olympics stuff, and meet amazing people, all the time. That makes it feel like home right away.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/03/1...-living-dream/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary has signed free agent International LB Maleki Harris.

Harris has played 28 games for the Stamps over the past three seasons, recording 30 defensive tackles, 20 special-teams tackles, two interceptions and one fumble recovery.
    The 25-year-old Tuscumbia, Ala., native made six starts at weak-side linebacker for Calgary in 2017 and had 21 defensive tackles, two tackles for loss and a sack. He also had two special-teams tackles, one QB pressure and one fumble recovery that he returned 46 yards for a touchdown and an interception he returned 27 yards for a score.
    Harris missed the final 12 games of the regular season and the playoffs with a wrist injury.
    “Maleki was progressing very well for us before getting hurt and was making important contributions to our defence,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. “He’s worked hard to get healthy again and I look forward to seeing him pick up where he left off before the injury.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/03/1...maleki-harris/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders have signed International DB/KR Troy Stoudemire, who has played in Winnipeg and Edmonton previously.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/03/1...n-stoudermire/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    John Hufnagel announced that Calgary has made a bid for a future Grey Cup game, probably in 2019.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    HC Dave Dickenson talks about how the Combine affects the Stampeders draft, including how the players carry themselves and talk during their interview affect where they are drafted in the video below. He also mentions that Calgary will aim at drafting the best player available rather than drafting for a position, and discusses his own NFL Combine as a player.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/03/2...ave-dickenson/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Director of US Scouting for the Stampeders Cole Hugnagel, GM John Hufnagel's brother, discussed his role at the Canadian National Combine and compared it to the NFL Combine below. My guess is OV would see Cole Hufnagel this as proof of GOBism to the nth degree despite Calgary's success in recruiting Internationals.

Q: What is your role this week at the Combine?
    H: My role is basically to look at the athletic ability of the players out here. Decipher how they test and then put that together with what they show on film and, at the end of the day, collaborate with everyone else to put a final grade on the player. In terms of the questioning, I try to get a feel for the player, their background, if there’s any type of injury you have to be aware of, how they do in school, what’s their post-football life – just try and get a good feel about the player as a whole just so you know the type of guy you’re bringing into the organization. It’s very important.

Q: How does the NFL Combine compare to the CFL?
    H: It’s a lot more scattered, I guess. A lot more people involved, just because obviously there’s more people and more teams – more players – stuff like that. It’s a show for sure, you know, but at the end of the day it’s the same thing, just watching the players work out and talking to some kids and stuff like that.

Q: How have the open tryouts gone in the States this offseason?
    H: Tryouts have been good, we’re getting good numbers. We’ve protected some guys, we’ve signed some guys from the tryouts. Some guys we’ve been aware of, some guys have just shown up on the scene and we’ve been surprised by and actually signed a couple of those guys to contracts and they’re coming down to our main tryout and competing for a job. We’ve got four more tryouts so hopefully we’ll find a couple more gems out there to compete.

Q: What are you looking forward to the most this weekend?
    H: The interviews tonight. I really enjoy the interviews. Because obviously I spend most of my time in the States and this is my first interaction with these CIS players so kind of just getting to know these guys in person is what I look forward to the most.
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/03/24/q-cole-hufnagel/

Last edited by jerrym; 03-28-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Because of the departure 6'3" 235 lb Jerome Messam, Calgary's ground game is going to be very different this year, as it will be based on small and speedy RBs in the form of Terry Williams, Roy Finch and possibly Dominique Williams, who remains unsigned.

“Terry brings a crazy dynamic to the game, and we know what Roy brings to the table,” said Stamps receiver DaVaris Daniels. “No knock on Jerome at all, but it just speaks to how good those other guys are. I know Terry’s been waiting for this and he sees it and he’s definitely going to take advantage of it.”

All three of the Stamps’ options at running back — and it’s likely they’ll have other options at training camp, as well — are also capable of playing at receiver, and Daniels smiled when he was asked if it was possible that the Stampeders might run plays where Bo Levi Mitchell had six or even seven receiving options to pick from downfield.
    http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...ders-receivers

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With the departure of Charleston Hughes, International DL James Vaughters, who got into 10 games last year and made 36 DT, expects to have a much bigger role in the Stampeder's defence this year.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/03/3...y-bigger-role/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Director of US Scouting for the Stampeders Cole Hugnagel, GM John Hufnagel's brother, discussed his role at the Canadian National Combine and compared it to the NFL Combine below. My guess is OV would see Cole Hufnagel this as proof of GOBism to the nth degree despite Calgary's success in recruiting Internationals.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/03/24/q-cole-hufnagel/

I believe Cole Hufnagel is John's 33 year old Son who used to scout for the NY Giants.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I believe Cole Hufnagel is John's 33 year old Son who used to scout for the NY Giants.
    You're right about his being John's son, not his brother (my mistake), but he worked for the New York Jets not the New York Giants.

He previously spent nine seasons with the National Football League’s New York Jets. He was a video intern when he first joined the Jets in 2006 before earning a full-time position in 2007 as a pro personnel assistant. In 2011 he became a pro scout and was promoted to college area scout after the 2012 NFL Draft, evaluating college prospects in the Western United States. ...
    He was born in Calgary during the days when his dad, John, was a CFL quarterback.
    https://www.stampeders.com/cole-hufnagel/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Fomrer Argo draft choice Dan Federkeil, who announced his retirement as a Stampeder in February, has tested positive for testosterone and faces a two game suspension if he returns to the game.

Federkeil said the positive test was the result of a drug he is using to treat a medical issue, and that he only started taking the drug last year after he decided to retire. The CFL said in its release that Federkeil's positive result came from an off-season test.
    "I have been dealing with a medical issue for two years but the nature of the condition allowed me to postpone treatment because I fully realized the medically prescribed drug was not compatible with the CFL/CFLPA drug policy," Federkeil said in a statement. "It was only after the 2017 season was over and after I had made the decision to retire that I began the treatment process."
    Players face a two-game suspension for a first drug offence under the joint doping policy of the CFL and the CFL Players' Association.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cf...-cfl-1.4611586

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    International 30 year old LB Deron Mayo, who spent six years with the Stampeders, has announced his retirement following numerous setbacks during 18 months of rehab following a torn ACL in October 2016. He was Calgary's Most Outstanding Defensive Player in 2015.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    WR Reggie Begelton, who got into 9 games and gained 304 yards in receptions, talks about his offseason and the upcoming TC below.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/04/05/bet-on-begelton/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    OL Dan Federkeil, who the Argos drafted but traded to the Stampeders when he would not sign with them following his NFL career, discusses his positive drug test during the offseason, as does Stampeder President and GM John Hufnagel, in order to clarify the situation:

“I have been dealing with a medical issue for two years but the nature of the condition allowed me to postpone treatment because I fully realized the medically prescribed drug was not compatible with the CFL/CFLPA drug policy. It was only after the 2017 season was over and after I had made the decision to retire that I began the treatment process.”
    Statement from Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel:
    “The football team was aware of Dan’s situation from the outset and we appreciate him putting his personal comfort on hold so that he could continue to play for us while remaining in compliance with the drug policy. We thank Dan once more for his contributions during his five seasons with the Stampeders and wish him health and success in the post-football portion of his life.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/04/0...john-hufnagel/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    President and GM John Hufnagel discusses the Stampeders signings and losses in free agency below.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/04/1...l-update-pt-1/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    ST/WR Roy Finch, who won the 2017 Most Outstanding Special Teams player award, has been arrested for assaulting a police officer and drug possession of marijuana in Oklahoma. In addition to being tasered, the picture in the article below shows Finch was severely beaten. The article includes a video of his arrest.

The report said the police were called to an apartment complex in Edmond after a caller said a car had been parked and running for more than an hour.
    When they arrived, officers allegedly found Finch in the vehicle smelling of marijuana.
    The Oklahoman said when officers tried to handcuff Finch, he “swung at one of the officers and took off through the complex after the altercation.”

They later used a Taser on Finch and video showed a group of around 10 officers handcuffing him on the ground. No video of the initial incident in which Finch was alleged to have thrown a punch at an officer was made public.
    A mugshot published by the Oklahoman showed Finch with bad bruises along the right side of his face.

The Stampeders released a statement saying they were continuing to collect information.
    “We’ve recently become aware of the matter regarding Roy Finch,” said Stamps GM/president John Hufnagel.
    “We are in the process of gathering information. Once we have more information, we will have further comment.”

Stampeders players past-and-present, took to Twitter late Monday afternoon to support Finch.

“Man we in his car minding his own business,” wrote former Stamps running back Jerome Messam.
    “They’ll never understand what it is to be a black man in our society.”
    Other players offered similar messages.
    “Prayers up for my brother Roy,” wrote Stamps offensive lineman Derek Dennis.
    “I hope he get through this, my heart hurting for him for real.”
    http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foot...e-885f625fd0d0
    Last edited by jerrym; 04-17-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    So sad about Finch - guy was the best/most dangerous returner in the CFL last year - a game breaker.

We don't know all the details - and so many questions about the US and cops going over-board; but i don't care what colour you are - try fleeing the police and you are asking for big trouble. Be nice if he could get out of this jam - but he may have flushed his football career down the drain. And the Stumps had that incident with Tommy Campbell fleeing cops last year = does not look good.

Wonder if this could open the door for Tunde Adeleke to become the Stumps main returner? - that kid had 2 punt return TDs last season in only a limited number of tries (wonder if that was the CFL record to fastest ever to 2 punt return TDs by a rookie? - not sure if that could be checked?). Adeleke also played on D for the Stamps last year - some duty at safety, OLB and corner i believe - and held up well; he might be in the running to grab the vacant safety job there; but the lack of recognition for his obvious talent as a punt returner - i find a bit questionable or telling perhaps ? Guy was a return phenom in CIS ball - and that should have been a reason to have good expectations for him in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    President and GM John Hufnagel has been in contact with Roy Finch but has limited his public statement to saying that he will update what the situation is on an ongoing basis.
    Last edited by jerrym; 04-18-2018 at 02:03 PM.