Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Duvernay-Tardif is going to medical school. I get that he's got $20 million guaranteed in his pocket, but doing both can be done.
    That does not change the QB opportunity message that Buckley's two years in Calgary sends out to USports QBs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Stampeder Canadian LB Mike Labinjo from Toronto, a member of the 2008 Calgary Grey Cup team who also played in the NFL, has died in his sleep. He was only 38.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of Mike's death," John Hufnagel, Stampeders' president and general manager, said in a statement. "He was a big man, with a big personality to match and he was a key part of our Grey Cup championship team in 2008. ...

The six-foot, 285-pound Toronto native played collegiately at Michigan State (2000-03) before being taken in the third round by Calgary in the 2003 CFL draft. During his college football career, Labinjo was an honorable mention All-Big Ten selection and named the Spartans' defensive MVP in 2003.
    Instead of heading to the CFL, Labinjo signed as a free agent with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2004. He played in the team's 24-21 Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots. Labinjo was released by the Eagles during the '05 season and later joined joined the Indianapolis Colts, before ending the campaign with the Miami Dolphins. He was released by Miami at the end of the season and re-signed with Indianapolis in the off-season, but was let go in May 2007. In all, Labinjo appeared in 10 career NFL games, registering 19 tackles and a forced fumble. ...

Labinjo joined the Stampeders on July 16, 2007 and picked up two tackles and four special-teams tackles in six games before suffering a season-ending elbow injury. The following season, Labinjo had five sacks, tying him for the team lead with Canadian Miguel Robede and Charleston Hughes. He also had 33 regular-season tackles, and registered eight tackles and three sacks in Calgary's 22-18 win over B.C. in the West Division final.
    Labinjo was also a key figure for Calgary in its 22-14 Grey Cup win over Montreal with three tackles, one sack and four pass deflections.

The Stampeders dealt Labinjo to Montreal on Jan. 12, 2011 for future considerations, but the Alouettes voided the deal a week later amid concerns of an elbow operation Labinjo had undergone. Calgary released Labinjo on May 11, 2011, ending his pro football career. Labinjo appeared in 44 career games with Calgary, recording 61 tackles (nine for a loss), seven special-teams tackles, six sacks, seven knockdowns and two fumble recoveries.

The Stampeders said Labinjo remained in the Alberta city following his football career, working at Solengo Capital and FirstService Residential.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...dead-1.4835054

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Canadian WR Juwan Brescacin is becoming an increasingly important part of the Stampeders' offence.

As a receiver, sometimes I’ve gone games where I didn’t have a ball thrown my way,” he said. It kind of just keeps you hungry and humble and working hard. So when you do get that opportunity you make the most of it.” ...

Year by year, game by game, it’s getting there for Brescacin. He played in seven games as a rookie in 2016, but played more on special teams. He got into 15 games in 2017 and had 260 yards and figured he played 45-plus snaps in their crushing Grey Cup loss to Toronto. With injuries ravaging the receiving corps, an already increased role this season is continuing to develop. With DaVaris Daniels breaking his collarbone on the field this past week in Hamilton, Brescacin stepped up and had a career game, pulling in five passes for 109 yards.

“I thought our Canadian guys balled out,” Dickenson said after his team won its 10th game of the season. With questions of bringing in a veteran free agent swirling after the game, Dickenson was more focused on what he already had. “I thought Bres had a great game. Sometimes you get all into this American-Canadian, the American should be better. Let’s just play the best guy,” he said. “I’ve got to give credit to Bres, having a great game. He was sore and he was blocking his butt off making those great catches.” ...

Brescacin said Mitchell has been a big part of his success this year, too.
    “In the offseason I went out (to Calgary) to throw with him before camp and he let me stay with him and his wife, Maddy, they treated me like family. I didn’t have to worry about anything,” he said. “Having a guy like that off the field be a genuine, nice person, welcoming you into their house and taking care of you for a week (when) he has a baby girl…I feel like it showed a lot about his character. He’s just a genuinely nice guy and a great leader, a great friend.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/09/2...opportunity-2/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary is expecting WR Eric Rogers, who had five receptions for 131 yards against the Argos in Week 2, back this week when the Stampeders face the Argos again. Just what the Argos need.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Although the Stampeders were expecting Eric Rogers back for the game against Toronto, the team has decided today to give him more time to recover from his knee injury, so he will not play against Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders demonstrated both their depth and their ability to develop players against the Argos. Even though they had already lost Eric Rogers, DaVaris Daniels, and Kamar Jorden before they game started, and then lost Reggie Begelton early in the game, they were able to produce a strong passing attack with back-ups Juwan Brescacin, Julan Lynch and Markieth Ambles in addition to regular Marken Michel. The two Canadians, Brescacin and Lynch went 5/64 and 2/62, also showing they have no lack of Canadian talented WRs, even though they cut Anthony Parker, who has 2,300 receiving yards at age 28.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    WR Reggie Begelton will miss the rest of the season with a broken arm.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Because of the loss of four starting receivers (Eric Rogers, DaVaris Daniels, Reggie Begelton and Kamar Jorden), the Stampeders have signed former CFL and NFL wide receiver Chris Mathews. He should be a plus for a depleted receiving corps. I remember his outstanding performance at the Super Bowl well.

Matthews, 28, began his pro football career in the CFL with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after going undrafted in the NFL. In his rookie season in 2012, Matthews recorded 1,192 yards with seven touchdowns over 18 games. He only appeared in five games in his sophomore campaign before joining the Seattle Seahawks in 2014.

The native of Long Beach, California saw limited success in the regular season, but the game of his career came at Super Bowl XLIX against the New England Patriots. Matthews caught four passes for 109 yards and a touchdown in a 28-24 loss.

Over 22 regular season games with the Seahawks and Baltimore Ravens, the Kentucky product recorded 16 receptions with 176 yards and a single touchdown.

https://www.tsn.ca/former-nfl-wr-mat...ders-1.1184390

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    DL Micah Johnson talks about his two sacks and 3DTs against the Argos below.

“This game I had more opportunities and one-on-ones,” he said. “Usually I get double-teamed pretty hard as the centre works my way pretty much every play, but for some reason last game I was able to get some one-on-ones and I was able to capitalize on them.
    “We had some good rushes; the defensive backs have been playing lights-out so the quarterback had been holding onto the ball for a few extra seconds, so we had plenty of time to get there.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/10/02/one-week-time/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After signing WR Chris Mathews on Monday, the Stampeders had him practicing today and are trying to get him ready to play this weekend if possible. Quite a contrast to the Argos go slow approach to integrating Duron Carter in their offence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    After signing WR Chris Mathews on Monday, the Stampeders had him practicing today and are trying to get him ready to play this weekend if possible. Quite a contrast to the Argos go slow approach to integrating Duron Carter in their offence.
    What are they thinking, they’re in first place!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After all the injuries to their receiving corps, the Stampeders have added another WR to their PR: Jeremy Tabuyo. He attended rookie minicamp with the Los Angeles Rams in 2017 after playing for Texas A & M, where he had 35 receptions for 454 yards and 5 TDs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders have released International LB/ST Dwayne Norman who played intermittently in four games over the last two years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The injuries to their receiving corps have also prompted Calgary to add former Ottawa 2017 sixth round draft pick Austen Hartley to their PR. Hartley was 3/22 in five games this year with the Redblacks before being released, after catching 2 passes for 57 yards in the Eastern semi-final against the Riders last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary has added three Internationals to their PR: RB Ka'Deem Carey, DB Dashaun Amos, and LB Warren Long. Carey was a 2014 Chicago Bear fourth round draft pick who played 37 games over three years while rushing for 443 yards and picking up 113 yards in receptions. Amos attended New York Giants TC in 2017 after playing for East Carolina in college. Long attended Seattle Seahawk and New York Giants TCs this year after playing for Northwestern.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Something is finally slowing down the Stampeders - injuries. Could this be another season where they finish first and don't win the Grey Cup?

Without DaVaris Daniels (broken collarbone), Kamar Jorden (knee surgery), Reggie Begelton (broken arm) in the lineup, the numbers just weren’t there for the pass-catchers in Montreal. Despite hauling in six passes, Eric Rogers (knee) return to active duty from injury was slowed by double-coverage, including talented CB Tommie Campbell, all game long. Newcomer Chris Matthews was put on the one-game injured list prior to the tilt.

And Lemar Durant, Markin Michel, Richard Sindani and Markeith Ambles all proved pretty much ineffective, as they caught six balls between them. The one receiver QB Bo Levi Mitchell could find with consistency was Canadian Juwan Brescacin, who grabbed six passes for 78 yards. It won’t get any better for the Stamps in that regard either, with Daniels, Jordan and Begelton all on the six-game injury list and all likely done for the season.
    https://calgarysun.com/sports/footba...in-in-montreal

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders have now lost the best of their remaining uninjured WRs with Marken Michel being placed on the six-game injured list because of a broken shoulder.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM John Hufnagel discusses what he learned from Wally Buono below.

“Two things impressed me about Wally the years that I worked for him,” the Stampeders President and GM, a Wally Buono advocate, is reflecting. “An eye for talent. And an organizational structure that’s required so everyone has a chance to be successful. We knew exactly what we needed to do. He didn’t really have to tell us twice."

“I’m sure every coach that’s worked for him would tell you the same thing. He developed a certain culture that I believe has remained. I know when I was out of the league there were some tough times in Calgary. But the culture he cultivated is the same type of program that when I came back, I mimicked. And why not? You learn things, you adopt things, from successful people.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/10/12/hes-very-wally/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With WRs Begelton, Daniels, Michel and Jorden all on the six-game injured list and the Calgary offence looking very pedestrian against BC, the question of whether the Stampeders might be eliminated in their first playoff game is starting to be raised.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bakari Grant, who was 84/1,033 in receptions in 2017 but was released by the Riders in TC, has signed with Calgary, which is looking for replacements for its greatly depleted receiving corps.