Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With WRs Begelton, Daniels, Jorden and Michel all on the injured list, the last thing Calgary needed was another WR injury, but that's what happened, as Eric Rogers will miss the final game against BC. Bakari Grant will replace him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders showed they are ready for the playoffs with their offence back on track led by Bo's passing and Jackson's running.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders face possible major changes in the offseason that could make it difficult for them to continue their regular season dominance.

Like every team in the league, the Stamps will have a plethora of free agents to re-sign after this season. At the top of that list will be Bo Levi Mitchell. Alex Singleton will be right behind him. Both could explore NFL options after this season.
    Defensive coordinator DeVone Claybrooks remains the most sought after coaching candidate in the league. Montreal wanted him for the job last year but he declined. BC is already looking for its next head coach and Toronto joined the mix on Saturday morning, firing Marc Trestman. Other teams could make moves in the next few weeks or in the days after the Grey Cup. He won’t be a coordinator forever. ...

“I think we’ve proved over the last couple of years that it’s important to cash in on these opportunities whenever you get them, because your team is going to change every year,” Mitchell said. “This year especially, with contracts, the CBA . . . guys can’t even sign after their last game of the season. We told everybody, me and Micah (Johnson) said it partway through the season, ‘Hey man, realize that this team is going to look a lot different this year. This is the only chance we get to play together. We’re too good and we put in too much time and paid the price. Make sure we take advantage of that and reap the benefits.’”
    “It’s my third year in a row clinching the Western Final,” Singleton said after making seven tackles in the game, padding his league-leading total to 122. We want to win the Grey Cup. That’s all we want to do as a group. For the three years I’ve been here not much has changed, really. It’s one goal in mind. It’s going to the Grey Cup.” ...

Dickenson, Mitchell and Singleton are all there now, sharing the driver’s seat again with maybe one last, really good shot at another Grey Cup with this group.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/04/oleary...factor-stamps/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary has released several International players from its PR: WR Armanti Foreman, DL Marcell Frazier, RB Gerald Holmes, LB Warren Long and WR Jeremy Tabuyo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    International DL Micah Johnson has won the team's 2018 President's Ring, which is awarded to the player who best combines excellence on and off the field as measured by one's leadership, inspiration, motivational skills and in-game contributions on the stingiest defence in the CFL in terms of points and TDs surrendered, as well as by fewest rushing yards given up per game.
    Last edited by jerrym; 11-08-2018 at 02:13 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With so many starting receivers injured, the Stampeders re-establishing their ground game against BC as Don Jackson, Terry Williams and Nick Arbuckle rushing for 145 yards comes at a critical time as Calgary enters the playoffs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Dave Dickenson comments on his opponents in the West final.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers now represent the roadblock to a third consecutive Grey Cup appearance.

“Honestly, they’ve been kinda gearing up,’’ reckoned Dickenson of the Big Blue’s 23-18 West semi-final slapdown of the homestanding Saskatchewan Roughriders on Sunday afternoon. “To me they’re a very deep team, a very talented team. I think they’re very balanced, too. Whereas I felt like Sask was riding their special teams and their D – except against us, of course (referencing a Week 19 29-21 Rider victory in which the guys in green rolled up 492 in total offence). “I knew Sask was going to bring pressure. I knew they wouldn’t just sit back and wait; they’d try to press the issue, try to force turnovers and create field position. But Winnipeg just wouldn’t give it up. Sask still made some plays but they didn’t create the turnovers they were looking for.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/11/1...-front-of-you/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary's defence has been dominant in many areas and will play a critical role in whether they win the West final this weekend.

Despite fading over the second half of the season, the Stampeders’ defence remains one of the league’s most statistically sound, ranking first in the league in average points allowed (20.2), rushing yards (86.5), yards per passing attempt (7.2) and sacks (45). When you add all of it up, the Stamps have forced 100 two-and-outs this season, the second-most in the league behind only Saskatchewan at 107.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/13/number...stern-final-2/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Stampeder rookies comment below on playing their first playoff game this weekend.

https://www.stampeders.com/2018/11/1...hance-rookies/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Punter Rob Maver has won the Herm Harrison Memorial Award for community service. He co-chaired the Rob Maver Guts N Glory Flag Football tournament and helped raise $44,000 for Crohn's and Colitis Canada.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary, which has given up 56 fewer points than the second best defence in the league (Winnipeg), demonstrated once again that it is the CFL's best defence by giving up only 14 points and no TDs against the Bombers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    One possibility for the refurbishing of the Stampeders' home field, McMahon Stadium, with the defeat of the plebiscite to hold the 2026 Olympics.

McMahon Stadium, almost 60 years old, was the site of the opening and closing ceremonies in 1988 and is the home of the CFL’s Stampeders. The Saddledome, built in 1983 for both the NHL’s Flames and the Winter Games, is 35 years old.
    While a new stadium and new NHL arena weren’t in the proposed draft plan for 2026, upgrades to both were.

An indoor sport fieldhouse, which has been on Calgary’s books as a recreational need for over a decade, was also in the 2026 plan.
    “I was at the football game yesterday,” Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi said Monday. “I continue to think that McMahon is a great place to watch a football game once you’re in your seat. Getting to your seat, kind of miserable. This had been our plan to really re-do McMahon and make that a beautiful venue for future generations. There’s seven other venues within the city of Calgary that need that kind of rejuvenation.”

Nenshi estimated between $600 million and $700 million would be needed to both build a fieldhouse and match the investment into the ’88 legacies proposed in a 2026 bid.

“It’s going to be important to really start on that strategy now,” the mayor said. “It’s also important to recognize that we are in an environment where we are more capital-constrained than we ever have been since I’ve been in this job, meaning that council and myself and citizens are going to have to temper our expectations.”
    http://3downnation.com/2018/11/19/20...ts-facilities/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM John Hufnagel once again showed his ability to fill hole in the lineup when he rebuilt the defensive backfield.

The Calgary Stampeders president/GM entered free agency with a couple of major holes in his defensive backfield, and came out with two CFL veterans — halfback Emanuel Davis and utility man Troy Stoudermire — who have played major roles in getting his team to the Grey Cup this year.
    A couple of months later, American rookie Tre Roberson stepped up in a major way at training camp and claimed another of the team’s starting DB jobs when he became the Stamps’ first choice at corner. ...

After the 2017 CFL season, the Stamps lost three crucial components of their defensive backs group. Shaquille Richardson, who played SAM, signed with the NFL’s Oakland Raiders, while corner Tommie Campbell joined the Montreal Alouettes and starting safety Josh Bell retired from playing and took over as the Stamps defensive backs coach. Veteran halfback Jamar Wall moved to SAM this year, and Davis took over the spot Wall had previously held and Roberson took over for Campbell. Stoudermire, meanwhile, emerged as an everything man for the Stamps and played just about wherever he was asked before an MCL injury put him on the sideline in October. ...

While Davis didn’t get an all-star nod this season, everyone on the Stampeders is adamant he should have received end-of-season recognition after a first year in Calgary that saw him pick up 55 defensive tackles and a team-leading four interceptions.
    Similarly, voters bizarrely passed up on Roberson for the West Divison’s Most Outstanding Rookie nomination.
    https://calgarysun.com/sports/footba...ps-from-day-11

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Mixed news for the Stampeders on the injury from: Romar Morris, who tore his ACL in the West Final will of course miss the Grey Cup: but,Eric Rogers, who scored 3 TDs in the West final despite missing part of the game due to his knees that limited him to nine games in the regular season, will play. When Rogers is healthy or close to it, he can destroy defences.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Davaris Daniels wants to be in and win a Grey Cup because he knows how difficult it is to do. His father, Phillip, failed to do so in fifteen years as a lineman in the NFL with Philadelphia. However, he may not even play. HC Dickenson will decide which WRs play based on this week's practice because Daniels hasn't played since mid-September. Since he had 747 yards in 12 games, I find it difficult to believe that he might be left off the game roster of a team that still has several other WRs injured, if Daniels is anywhere near 100%.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jamar Wall talks about his shift to SAM LB below.

“Well, I’m feeling a lot more comfortable, let’s say that,” confesses Jamar Wall on a Grey Cup eve morning walk-through on the slick surface at Commonwealth Stadium just completed.

A fixture in the Stampeders defensive secondary umbrella for six seasons, Wall is preparing to make his first title-tilt start at strongside linebacker when the Red & White take on the Ottawa Redblacks Sunday.
    The Sam, if you’ll remember, was filled last Nov. 26 at TD Place Stadium against Toronto by Shaq Richardson.
    When Richardson decided to test the NFL waters down south, Wall shifted to the new role, making room for import DB Emanuel Davis to slide into his old spot.

“Honestly, I’ve been trying to play the Sam for awhile,’’ he conceded this week. “So I was prepared. I was thinking of it being more of a defensive back position, though, when in reality it’s more of a linebacker position, especially the way we’re playing this year. So it took me awhile to adjust, to figure it out. I was confused on some things, getting frustrated because I wasn’t making the plays I was used to making. But we were winning, so I couldn’t really complain.

“Sitting in meetings with teammates and coaches, I said: ‘I need to make plays.’ So I had look in the mirror and ask: ‘What do I need to do?’ This is the first year I haven’t had any picks, and it’s kinda humbling. But If I’m not making interceptions, what do I need to do? Do I need to be closer to the box? More tackles? Whatever. I had to adjust. I’m really, really involved with the run now, and that’s different for me. The guys were supportive, you know, like: ‘This’ll be great! Something new.’”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2018/11/24/strong-man/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders held their Grey Cup victory rally on Tuesday.

The Calgary Stampeders held a victory rally on Tuesday afternoon to celebrate a 27-16 win in Sunday’s Grey Cup against the Ottawa Redblacks. ...
    On stage there was a buzz among players, team officials and even Mayor Naheed Nenshi about the opportunity facing the Stamps to win another championship, this time on home turf, when the city hosts the Grey Cup in 2019. For the fans in the crowd they buzzed with excitement over this possibility too. ...

Mike Hassel, a Stampeders fan for more than 35 years, travelled to watch the Stamps play in the Grey Cup in 2012, 2016 and 2017, only to see the team lose each game. On Sunday, he was in Edmonton to finally watch his team win the Grey Cup live. “Oh, it was beautiful. My three-year losing curse was finally broken last Sunday,” Hassel said. “It was just sheer joy. I lost my voice almost. It was just amazing to finally see it, we win the Cup. And to see the team celebrating on the field, unlike other times I’ve watched where it’s just despair.” ...

But, despite so much talk about the Stampeders’ expectation to return to the Grey Cup next year, the Stampeders faced questions about how many of their players would return for next season. Mitchell, for one, said he had no idea if he’ll be back next year, adding that he wanted to pursue tryouts with NFL teams next season.

“At this point, if I sign that contract right now, it would be long-term to commit to this city and this team for a long time,” Mitchell said. “Before I do that, I have to know. I’m an athlete, I’m a competitive man, I grew up in Houston, Texas and I got to know.”

http://3downnation.com/2018/11/27/fans-turn-out-in-force-as-stampeders-bring-the-grey-cup-home-at-calgary-rally/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In a chant reminiscent of Ricky Ray at the Argos Grey Cup victory parade, fans were chanting "One more year. One more year." Stampeder management also hopes to resign him but Bo wants to explore his NFL options. It sounds like there is a good chance he won't be back.

If he’s returning to the CFL, he’s probably going to be back in Calgary. The relationship he has with both his head coach and Stamps president/GM John Hufnagel is solid, and for a guy as invested in his own legacy as Mitchell, the Stamps’ recent history makes them the most likely team for him to win more Grey Cups.
    But the NFL is there. It was his childhood dream, and nobody is going to fault him for pursuing those options. He brought Calgary two Grey Cup championships and no other starting quarterback in the club’s history has managed to accomplish that.

After winning Sunday’s Grey Cup, Mitchell was open about the fact that he is going to explore his options south of the border.
    “I’ve let my agent handle it,” Mitchell said. “Obviously, I’m waiting to find out what happens with the CBA, until then I will explore my options and find out. I want to sit down and have a talk with (Stamps president/GM John Hufnagel), have a talk with (head coach Dave Dickenson), see how they’re feeling about things and the future they see with this team. I love being here, I’m not a complacent guy, I’m not going to stay here just because I’m comfortable. I’ve put a lot of work in with this team and the legacy with this league, I want to continue to build that. For family and everything, if something else arises it would be hard not to test it, but I think I have time with that based on the CBA.”
    https://calgarysun.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/everyone-wants-bo-levi-mitchell-to-return-to-stampeders

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary coaches and players comment on their route to and winning the Grey Cup below.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...-eight-players

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bo Levi Mitchell has had conversations with Dave Dickenson, Jeff Garcia, and Doug Flutie about the best way to pursue NFL opportunities. He noted that the CFL CBA won't get done until May. In addition, he is aware he would have to sign a three year undrafted free agent contract for $480,000 with $75,000 increases in each subsequent year. Sure sounds like he is going.