Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Stampeders have signed National DL Michael Kashak. At 6 feet 1, if he makes it, he would almost certainly be a ST/rush end.

A sixth-round selection by the Stampeders in the 2016 draft, Kashak attended training camp with the Red and White a year ago before returning to university to play his final season at McMaster. ...
    Kashak was a first-team Canadian and conference all-star at McMaster in 2016 after leading Ontario University Athletics with 11.5 sacks. He also recorded 29.5 tackles, including 16.5 tackles for loss, and two forced fumbles.
    Kashak was also a first-team Ontario all-star in 2015 as he led the conference with 8.5 sacks. In 39 career games over five seasons (2012-16) for the Marauders, he accumulated 91.5 tackles, including 42.5 tackles for a loss, 29 sacks, four forced fumbles and one interception.
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/09...ichael-kashak/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    A great story on Sugarfoot Anderson who not only played receiver for the Stampeders from 1949 to 1955, but acted in 32 movies, yet remained a Stampeder ambassador for over fifty years.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/03/09...cmahon-stadium

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's a Roy Finch highlight video.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/13...eel-roy-finch/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is an interview with International DE Charleston Hughes.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/14...leston-hughes/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo DL Bryan Hall has signed with Calgary.

Hall has played a total of three CFL seasons with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Toronto Argonauts and he previously appeared in five games for the National Football League’s Baltimore Ravens. ...
    “Bryan is an experienced defensive tackle who is able to play both the one-technique and the three-technique,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. “He’s been a productive player over the first three years of his CFL career.”
    In 50 career CFL regular-season games, Hall has accumulated 125 tackles, including five tackles for a loss, 11 sacks, 11 knockdowns and three forced fumbles. He spent his first two seasons (2014-15) with Hamilton before signing with Toronto and playing one season for the Argos.
    Hall played a total of three division playoff games for the Ticats and was also in uniform for the Ticats’ 2014 Grey Cup meeting with Calgary.
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/16...-joins-stamps/
    Last edited by jerrym; 03-17-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bryan Hall discusses why he signed with the Stampeders.

After speaking with the Calgary Stampeders coaching staff, Bryan Hall was pretty much convinced that he wanted to make the move west and join the Canadian Football League team.
    A call to an old friend from high school sealed the deal. The defensive lineman dialled up Micah Johnson to ask about playing for the Stampeders and came away from the phone call ready to sign on the dotted line. “Me and Micah Johnson go back to high school, so there’s definitely a lot of familiarity,” Hall said. “I definitely gave him a call and talked about it, and we’re both excited and just looking forward to going to work.” ...
    While the opportunity to go from a struggling Argos organization to a Stampeders team that is widely expected to be in contention for another Grey Cup was enticing, that wasn’t the main factor motivating Hall’s move to Calgary. “It was more about being wanted,” Hall said. “I talked to the defensive co-ordinator, coach (DeVone) Claybrooks, I talked to (defensive line coach Corey Mace) and Coach (Dave) Dickenson and they just let me know how much they wanted me here, that was a big thing for me.”
    Hall will be joining a defensive line that was dominant throughout the 2016 season. The Stamps defence tied for the most sacks in the CFL last season, with 52, helping the team hold opposing offences to the fewest points in the league, with 369.
    The 28-year-old will have to fight for his place, but he’s got a resume that suggests he’ll be able to contribute.
    http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foot...ary-stampeders

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's a more detailed interview Bryan Hall did with local Newstalk 770 Hall did this week, including comments on his time with the Argos.

On the process leading up to his signing with the Red and White:
    I talked to the defensive coordinator – Coach Claybrooks – and Coach Mace and Coach Dickenson and those guys expressed a lot of interest in me. We talked and they gave me the vision of where they see me playing in this defence. I’m looking for the opportunity to come in and play and they obviously have the confidence in me to come in and produce. This is a championship team. I’m just trying to play my part to a Grey Cup this year.
    On joining a team that fell just short of a championship in 2016:
    Those guys have chips on their shoulder. And with me coming off of my season – if you thought (Calgary’s) season was disappointing, you should check out what the Argos had to go through last year. It was a very disappointing season. We had a lot of expectations going into that season and it just didn’t work out. Every year is different. In Calgary, I know what they’ve done. But it’s all about what you’re going to do with your next step. I just want to come in and help the team continue to win.
    On his single season as a member of the Argonauts:
    Toronto was a great time. The city was wonderful. It was definitely tough, especially with some of the (smaller) crowds and getting people involved. But I believe in Mr. (Michael) Copeland (the Argos’ president and CEO) and I believe those guys will turn the corner. They’ve got Jim Popp in there now, Marc Trestman, Corey Chamblin . . . they’ve got big-name guys who’ve had a lot of success in the CFL and hopefully it translates (into success).
    On expectations for the Stamps in 2017:
    It’s a nine-team league. Any team can get hot. I can’t go out there (and assume) we’ll be great. We have to work towards it every day. It’s like right now with my training. What am I doing to help secure a Grey Cup? The extra sets, the extra reps. Whatever it takes. I’m just coming in to work. I’ve been to the Grey Cup and came up short. I’ve been to the Eastern Final and came up short. And I’ve been (in a season) where we weren’t able to go to the playoffs. Those are my three seasons in the CFL right there. I’m hungry and I’m just waiting to take that next step.
    On waiting more than a month after the start of free agency before finding a team:
    There were definitely interested teams but at the end of the day, it was just finding the right opportunity. Those may not come up at the beginning. I wanted to play on my own terms and have the right opportunity, and it just so happened to be with the Calgary Stampeders.
    On the person he knows best in the Stamps locker room:
    One of my homeboys – I’ve known him since high school – is Micah Johnson. We played against each other in high school and we played on all-star teams together. I called him up the day before I signed. We’re excited. He’s a CFL all-star and I’m trying to get where he’s at. We’ll be able to work and build with each other.
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/18...t-coming-work/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Sixth overall draft pick and starting MLB Alex Singleton, who, although born in California, is a National thanks to his Canadian mother, discusses his first year in the CFL after a tryout with the Vikings. Next week he'll be at the National Combines to see his brother Matt compete.

“It’s been crazy,” says Singleton. “I didn’t know if I was ever going to come up here because I was still under contract down there. Then, all of the sudden, that didn’t work out and, two weeks later, I was up here.
    “And it’s really changed my life, you know? I haven’t gone home yet. It’s been amazing. I’ve loved every minute of it but it’s definitely been wild.” ...
    Singleton made his first-ever trip to Calgary in time for 2016 training camp, earned a spot on the team and, by Labour Day, had taken over the starting middle linebacker role. The Montana State grad began the season earning his dues on special teams and steadily seeing more action on defence. He played all 18 games, starting 10, and finished second on the team in total tackles with 74.

Somewhere along the way, Singleton decided Calgary was where he wanted to spend the off-season to train.
    “I talked to Bo (Levi Mitchell) and (Deron) Mayo super early in the season to be able to set that up for this off-season,” says Singleton about training at Canada Olympic Park. “It’s been awesome. There are Olympic athletes in there, so as much as we think we’re big, fast and strong, you see these people work so hard for their one sport. They don’t get as much publicity as football does obviously, but just the way they work out, it’s so cool to be around people like that. And then obviously with Bo and Mayo, it’s awesome having them there.”

Another important reason the 23-year-old wanted to stay in Calgary was to get involved in the community. He’s made numerous appearances through the Special Olympics of Calgary, the BOKS program and is a member of the Stamps basketball team which plays junior high and high school teams in the area. ...

He’ll then stay a couple extra days to watch his younger brother, Matt, take part in the National Combine.
    Like his brother, Matt is also a linebacker and got his Canadian citizenship in October of 2015. He played his college football at Black Hills State in South Dakota.
    “I’ve just been giving him pointers because I think Coach (Brent) Monson is running the linebacker drill so I’ve been telling him what he’s going to have to do,” says Singleton. “He’s just getting ready and it’s cool because I get to go there for the CFL Week and then stay the extra days to watch him compete and I’m just excited to see the next class of guys coming in.”
    A year ago, Singleton had never been to Calgary. Now it’s a place he calls home.
    “I just love being here,” he says. “I love where I live. And I just thought it would be a good opportunity to just stay in rhythm and keep staying involved.”
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/17/alex-makes-home/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's more on Alex Singleton's brother, Matt, who will be at the National Combine.

The younger Singleton, a linebacker at Black Hills State, a Division II school in Spearfish, S.D., is trying to follow Alex’s path to the CFL. The Thousand Oaks, Calif., native became a Canadian citizen nine months ago – he qualified for that status because the brothers’ mother Kim Singleton is a Canuck – and now he’s hoping his performance at the combine will result in him hearing his name called at the May 7 draft. ...
    “Alex’s success was definitely a part of making me want to go up there and try it,” says Matt. “Before he played up there, I honestly didn’t know very much about the Canadian league. But being able to play football for a career has been a dream of both of ours’ since we were seven years old.”The brothers, born just 20 months apart, are very close. “We shared a room until I left for college,” says Alex. “We played football in our room together since we were four. He’s one of my best friends. I talk to him about everything. I’m just excited for him.”
    Alex has done his best to help prepare his brother by sharing the knowledge gathered during his first season in the CFL. “You give him every tip you can,” he says. “To have someone on your side and be able to tell you what’s going to go on. Because it’s something that not a lot of people get to do, so there’s not a lot of people who can tell you want to expect.”
    Matt already got a crash course on the CFL by keeping tabs on Alex’s excellent rookie campaign with the Stamps, which saw the older sibling earn the starting middle linebacker’s job after starting the season on special teams. “Over the summer, before our season started, I was able to watch every one of his games,” says Matt. “Even in the fall, I still followed him. I would be on the road and my game would finish when his was starting, so I’d be sitting at the back of the bus with my headphones on watching his game on my ESPN app. So I got around to watching every game. Not all of them were exactly live.” ...

Matt can picture himself playing on the bigger Canadian field.
    “I feel like I’d be a pretty good fit because of the couple of differences that there are,” he says. “Especially the three downs instead of four. Special teams is a bigger aspect of the game and I feel special teams is what’s going to allow me to make it on a roster.”
    Alex agrees, and he points to former Stamp Cam Ontko, now a member of the BC Lions, as proof Matt can make the cut.
    “That’s my CFL comparison for him,” explains Alex, “especially to start out. They’re both shorter, stockier dudes who are going to go out there and bang heads and make plays on special teams. Those are the kinds of guys you want in the league. Cam had a shot at the NFL and he got all the (feedback) about being undersized. Then he came up here and there’s no stopping him.”
    While Alex was on the CFL radar even before earning Canadian citizenship and was the Stamps’ first-round pick in the 2016 draft, Matt faces longer odds. Then again, he’s no stranger to major challenges. Take his two years with the Black Hills State Yellow Jackets, for example, after transferring from Ventura College.
    “It was a pretty crazy experience,” he says. “My junior year, we went 0-11. It was a rough year. It wasn’t a big fanbase and we didn’t have a lot of support.” That led to an off-season of introspection and some hard questions. ...

“We asked ourselves ‘Are we satisfied with this or are we going to be the team that changes the culture of this program and school?’ ” he recounts. “This past season, we ended up 7-4 and we accomplished a bunch of milestones for our program – first team to start 3-0, first team to beat a ranked opponent, first team to have a winning season. Our program is definitely on the rise now. It was great to be a part of that and I’m excited to continue to watch it to grow in the future.”
    “It was super cool to see them turn around the program,” says Alex. “To see them go from 0-11 to 7-4, that’s crazy. That doesn’t just happen. It was cool to watch him do what he’s been doing and hopefully I’ll get to see him do it an even higher level.”
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/21...on-singletons/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bo Levi Mitchell has shown that he is a team player by not trying to maximize his salary.

There is a parallel to the New England Patriots. Their quarterback, Tom Brady, is not even close to being the NFL’s highestpaid quarterback. He is, however, the most accomplished.
    “I’m not going to be the guy who goes and asks for $550,000 or $600,000,” Mitchell said. “I told Dave (Dickenson, head coach) and Huf (general manager John Hufnagel) that I don’t want to be the highest-paid quarterback. I don’t want to be the highest-paid player in the league, because that handicaps them in what they can do. If I ask for that kind of money, we probably don’t get Quay (slotback Marquay McDaniel) back.”
    https://www.pressreader.com/canada/c...82119226364899

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary has two Stampeders in the 2017 Hall of Fame class: RB Kelvin Anderson and Stan Schwarz, who had a 30 year career with the team, starting as an assistant coach and wrapping up as an executive.

Anderson’s 8,292 yards on the ground represents the second-highest total in Calgary history. Over his Calgary career, Anderson had 52 rushing touchdowns and 24 receiving scores for a total of 76 majors, second only to Allen Pitts in the Stamps record books. Anderson played with BC in 2003 and recorded one more 1,000-yard season in his final year in the CFL. The eight consecutive 1,000-yard campaigns are a league record. Anderson, a South Bend, Ind., native who played at Southeast Missouri State before turning pro, was a two-time Grey Cup champion with Calgary, winning titles in 1998 and 2001. In the 1998 championship game, he established a Calgary Grey Cup record that still stands by rushing for 105 yards. ...
    Schwartz, who will enter the Hall in the builders’ category, ended a 30-year relationship with the Stampeders when he retired in early 2017.

In 1976, the Medicine Hat native started his eight-year career as an assistant coach with the Stampeders. He left his coaching position with the Stamps and became senior executive/manager of McMahon Stadium. In 1995, Schwartz returned to the Stampeders fold as vice-president and general manager-administration. In 1996, he was elevated to the post of Calgary Stampeder Football Club president, a position he held for eight years. He closed out his career with the Red and White as executive vice-president and consultant to the executive committee.
    In 2009, Schwartz was awarded the CFL’s Hugh Campbell Distinguished Leadership Award. The same year also saw the inception of the Stan Schwartz Heart of a Champion Award, which is presented annually to three Calgary high school seniors who display determination, pride, perseverance, dedication, leadership and integrity through their pursuit of excellence on the field, in the classroom and in the community.
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/22...ter-hall-fame/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's a more detailed article on Hall of Famer Kelvin Anderson in the article connected to the tweet below.

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    He was definitely one of the underrated running backs of his time IMO.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Calgary and Edmonton will bid for the 2018 Grey Cup.

The competition is the first under the CFL’s revamped selection process. After years of awarding the Grey Cup – and its estimated $100 million of economic activity – based on backroom handshake deals or regional preferences, the CFL Board of Governors has put a formal process in place to judge each application on its merits.
    Calgary last hosted the league’s championship showcase in 2009 while the game was played in Edmonton the following year. The 2017 Grey Cup game is set to be hosted in Ottawa, an event that coincide with country’s 150th anniversary celebrations.
    It would also appear that Hamilton’s drought in hosting the CFL game – something they haven’t done since 1996 – will continue another year.
    When the City of Hamilton opened its publicly-funded $155 million stadium in 2015, the hope was that the city would be in position to host multiple Grey Cups in a short period of time, giving both the city and the team a significant economic boost.
    Last November, Hamilton Tiger-Cats CEO Scott Mitchell said that legal issues surrounding Tim Hortons Field was the major impediment to the team bidding for the game.
    “There’s still a significant legal claim against the builder dealing with the delays in delivering the stadium. That’s going to have to be taken care before we’re able to put together a bid with the city,” Mitchell said at the time. “The reality is, with everything that’s going on, 2018 is going to be a tough timeline. Typically, you want to be well into your plans two years in advance.”
    https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers?...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    An interview with WR Marquay McDaniel is at the url below.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/29...quay-mcdaniel/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jean-Luc Caron, who earned the job of long snapper in his rookie season with Calgary last year, discusses his off-season in the interview below.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/30...shing-started/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In the video at the url below, Special Teams Coordinator Mark Kilam discusses his off-season, including kickers Maver and Paredes, returner Roy Finch, LS Jean-Luc Caron, as well as new special team players.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/03/30...th-mark-kilam/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bo Levi Mitchell is interviewed below.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/04/05...levi-mitchell/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    DeVone Claybrooks discusses the upcoming season on defence for the Stampeders in the video attached to this tweet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With All-Star DB Tommie Campbell tweeting that drug charges against him have all been dropped the team and fans are celebrating the fact he should be available in 2017.

Calgary Stampeders fans are cautiously celebrating after reading the latest tweet on all-star cornerback Tommie Campbell’s Twitter account.
    “All charges dropped,” read the tweet. “I’ll be making a statement at a later date. This has been a very difficult time for me and my family.”
    Dozens of felony drug charges were laid against Campbell, 29, in connection with his arrest on Jan. 24 amid allegations he was selling drugs out of his mom’s house in Aliquippa, Pen.
    At the time, Aliquippa police Chief Don Couch told reporters his officers arrived at the house with a search warrant only to watch Campbell run away and jump the back fence.
    Campbell’s lawyer did not return calls for comment and Postmedia could not independently confirm charges had been dropped.
    Police alleged Campbell fumbled his Stampeders backpack that allegedly contained 180 grams of individually wrapped crack cocaine and $3,000 in cash. He faced 21 counts each of possession of a controlled substance and possession with intent to deliver, along with 10 counts of possession of drug paraphernalia, one count of flight to avoid apprehension and one count of tampering with evidence.
    Upon hearing the news, Stamps fans understandably feared they had seen the last of the shutdown corner in a Calgary uniform.
    All along, Campbell maintained his innocence. All along, the Stampeders kept No. 25 listed on the team roster.
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/04/03...l-drug-charges