Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Calgary All-Star OL Dimitri Tsoumpas has left the Stampeders after three years as an assistant strength coach, a period during which the team significantly reduced its injury rate, perhaps in part because of his approach.

Calling himself the Strength Shaman, the first-round CFL draft pick and perennial all-star guard has applied the skills he learned healing himself to relieving the pain of others. "All the guys on my team … it was good to help them,” Tsoumpas said with a laugh.
    Since retiring due to concussions after the 2013 season, Tsoumpas has spent the past three years working as an assistant strength coach with the Stamps, helping turn around an injury situation that was at a record high in the previous two campaigns. That relationship has now ended though as Tsoumpas has branched out on his own to work with us regular folk — those who suffer from pain despite never suiting up for the battle of a CFL game.
    Tsoumpas and the Stamps couldn’t work out an arrangement, so the former lineman has left behind football entirely, even leaving his job as an assistant coach with the University of Calgary Dinos.
    There are no numbers to really back up what Tsoumpas did in his time as an active player. Sure, you could point to rushing stats or sacks allowed, but the 31-year-old is happier with the numbers he put up in his post-playing days.
    In 2012 and 2013, the Stamps were plagued by injuries, but still managed to make the Grey Cup and then host the West final in consecutive years. Each year ended in defeat though, and Tsoumpas figured he could help.
    After the 2013 West final loss, when the Stamps were run over by the Saskatchewan Roughriders rushing attack due to a rash of injuries on the defensive line — most notably ACL tears — Tsoumpas pitched a way to reduce them through strength and conditioning.
    By the 2015 season, ACL injuries were gone and the Stamps hoisted the Grey Cup in 2014.
    “Comparing 2015 to 2013, we reduced the number of injuries by 71 per cent and number of games lost to injury by 75 per cent,” Tsoumpas said. “We overcame the barrier in the playoffs. We were fielding the starting lineup. That was the difference.” ...
    After suffering a concussion the wiped out his 2013 season, it took a lot of healing to make himself feel better, but he found physical pain relief helped his mental state in retirement.
    While working out of Ascension Fitness in Calgary, Tsoumpas is trying to help others heal themselves through his technique, which is based on a combination of motion and joint exercise and strength training.
    “I have a couple of clients who suffer from depression. We cleaned up their diet, got them an exercise program, got them focused and feeling productive and it was huge,” Tsoumpas said.
    “I’ve read a lot of books on psychology and they talk about planning and being productive and taking charge of your body. When you are active, you feel great. It’s just getting over that initial hurdle. If you have that time booked with a trainer, you will come and do it. Trainers are huge for accountability.
    “We are all suffering from injuries. We all have aches and pains. I’m taking it one step forward. I have a model here that speaks for itself and I want to extend it to the public.”
    If the Stamps start suffering from the injury bug in the 2017 the way they did in 2012-13, the loss of Tsoumpas might have something to do with it. He left the program with many players, and still works with a handful of them, but if he’s not there to push them, someone else will have to do that job.
    When he was an active player, he learned that taking care of himself was a 24/7 job, and he started to follow the model set by former centre Jamie Crysdale, who played 210 straight games from the early 1990s to mid-2000s. ...
    “A lot of people have aches and pains and just take some Advil,” Tsoumpas said. “That doesn’t work. You have to help your body overcome these things. Through physical activity you can cure a lot of ailments.”
    http://3downnation.com/2017/04/03/fo...e-pain-others/
    Last edited by jerrym; 04-10-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Like so many CFLers, DB Joshua Bell does community work in his hometown.

For the past seven years, Joshua Bell has helped coach track athletes at his alma mater, Skyline High School in Dallas.
    The veteran Stampeders defensive back shows the young athletes technique, particularly when it comes to starts out of the blocks. He also counsels them on mental preparation. ...

His commitment to Brown and the Skyline track team continued after Bell went on to an NFL career with the Denver Broncos and Green Bay Packers.
    “I would still come around and still be a fan of the program and a friend of the program. I would donate financially and help Coach Brown,” says Bell. “Then, in 2010, I didn’t like how fast I was during my football season in 2009 so I said, ‘You know what, Coach Brown? I’m going to start training with you every off-season, doing my speed work.’
    “So I started learning and became even faster at 25, 26 years old. And I’m a guy who if I’m in, I’m all the way in so I started coming every day and help Coach Brown where he needed help. It actually came to a point where it was just me and Coach Brown coaching. So I became an official assistant coach, without the title or the financial (compensation).”
    Bell may not pocket any money, but he gets rewarded in other ways.
    “I’ve learned so much,” he says, “and I’m so passionate about being a factor in the community I was raised in. I may not be the best person in the world but I’m a pretty good person, I believe, in society and I think that’s because of the people who helped mold me in the community I was raised in. So I’m just trying my best to (positively) affect the kids.
    “I’m just all in, man. Coach Brown has really been a humungous factor in my life, from not only being a coach but also being a father figure and role model to me.”
    Bell takes great pleasure at being able to take all the lessons and tricks of the trade he’s learned from Brown and pass them along. And not just to Skyline athletes.
    “For example, there’s (Stampeders radio play-by-play voice) Mark Stephen,” says Bell. “His son runs the 400 and the 800, so when I talk to him, we actually talk about track.
    “I’m looking at getting a little bit more involved into the track and field world in Calgary.”
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/04/04...ps-kids-track/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    SB Kamar Jorden discusses his offseason youth football clinic below.

https://www.stampeders.com/2017/04/1...ants-show-way/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Surprisingly, Bo Levi Mitchell is already one of the most experienced starting QBs in the league even though he only became the starter in 2014.

Mitchell did get a taste of the job the previous season when he made three starts in the absence of injured Stamps veterans Drew Tate and Kevin Glenn before taking the job for keeps. So just how much has the quarterback landscape in the CFL changed since that 2013 campaign?
    Well, Montreal’s starter that season – Anthony Calvillo – was just named a member of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.
    Henry Burris was Hamilton’s top guy in 2013 but by the following season he was a part of the expansion Ottawa RedBlacks and has recently announced his retirement. An invitation to join Calvillo in the Hall of Fame will surely come in short order.
    Ricky Ray – another solid bet for the Hall – will return as the Argos starter although there had been a lot of speculation about his future after a series of injury-plagued seasons.
    Some of the other QBs back in 2013?
    • Travis Lulay (BC): Lulay is still a Lion but he didn’t make a single start in 2016 as he is now the backup for Jonathon Jennings
    • Buck Pierce (Winnipeg): Injuries took a heavy toll on Pierce and he lost the Blue Bombers’ No. 1 job five weeks into the 2013 season. He was traded to BC and then retired to become a member of the Winnipeg coaching staff. The Bombers’ leading passer in 2013? That would be Max Hall
    • Darian Durant (Saskatchewan): Durant remained the nominal starter with the Riders through the 2016 season although he missed considerable action – including all but one game in 2015 – because of injuries. He was traded to Montreal over the winter
    • Mike Reilly (Edmonton): Reilly is one the rare exceptions on this list as he remains the starter with the Eskimos

That transitional phase means that at the relatively young age of 27, Mitchell has become one of the longest-serving current starting quarterbacks in the CFL. The reigning Most Outstanding Player leads league QBs with 48 starts over the past three regular seasons and the only other signal-callers to make at least 30 starts with their present team during that period are Reilly (41) and Hamilton’s Zach Collaros (35).
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/04/10...-wave-cfl-qbs/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is an interview with Stampeder OL Brad Erdos.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/04/12...ow-brad-erdos/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo and current Stampeders DL coach Cory Mace discusses his first season as a coach and what he expects in 2017 in the video below.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/04/14...th-corey-mace/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bo Levi Mitchell concedes that the Stampeders were overconfident entering the Grey Cup Game. Many players are still haunted by the game and are using as motivation for the upcoming season.

Many Calgary Stampeders remain haunted by last November’s historic upset in the 104th Grey Cup Championship, a 39-33 loss to the Ottawa REDBLACKS in overtime.
    “I haven’t even watched it yet,” sophomore receiver DaVaris Daniels told CFL.ca in an interview during Mark’s CFL Week last month in Regina. “I’ve been trying to get to it. I actually tried to get to it last week but my iPad was dead. So I was just like, it’s not meant to be, I’m not supposed to watch it.
    “It’s been tough. Knowing how it ended and everything was tough.” ...
    This of course, is the Canadian Football League, where no lead is safe and any team can win on any given day. But when the 15-2-1 Calgary Stampeders took on the sub .500 Ottawa REDBLACKS that Sunday night in November, the Stamps simply expected to win.

The Stampeders were the heavy favourite that night in Toronto. And maybe, as their star quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell concedes, a little over-confident.
    “I think the cockiness and the big-headedness came from being very, very respectful of BC and knowing who they were and how explosive they were and the way we handled them,” said Mitchell.
    “I think we got very, very confident in that fact. It was like, ‘oh man, this is it. We did it. We got past BC’.
    The Stamps had handled their closest regular season competition in convincing fashion, defeating the Lions 42-15 in the Western Final in a game that was over by halftime.
    One more win would seal one of the single greatest seasons the CFL has ever seen for a team, and it was against a REDBLACKS squad Calgary had beaten 48-23 back in September.
    “In your head you’re like, ‘hey, Edmonton’s going to make it’, and then you see Ottawa and you’re almost like, ‘oh nice. Henry’s been a bit hurt, they’ve had some quarterback controversy. It’s going to be a good thing for us’,” said Mitchell.
    “Then seeing Henry get hurt in pre-game, you’re like, ‘oh man, we have this. They’re not going to be locked in the right way’.” ...
    Of the five sub-.500 teams that had made the Grey Cup previously, two had come out on top. And before last November, the biggest upset by win differential in a Grey Cup was in 2001 when the 8-10 Stamps took down the 14-4 Bombers, 27-19.
    On this occasion, Burris overcame that pre-game knee injury before etching his name in the CFL history book with 461 passing yards, the fourth-highest ever in a Grey Cup, to go with five combined touchdowns. He was the Grey Cup MVP on a wonky knee at age 41.
    Mitchell, the league’s Most Outstanding Player after throwing for 5,385 yards, 32 touchdowns and only eight interceptions during the regular season, threw three interceptions in the loss.
    Looking back, Mitchell says he would have played the game differently. The Stamps’ quarterback admits he tried to force some things.
    “One thing [Head Coach Dave Dickenson and General Manager John Hufnagel] said to me was ‘you had one of the best seasons in CFL history but did you try and put a stamp on it at the end of the year?’ And I was like, ‘yeah’.
    “I wanted to make all the big plays and the big throws and almost engineer things to happen instead of letting my athletes make plays,” he continued. “I changed that up in the second half and we came back and made things happen but just fell short at the very end.”
    History’s greatest dynasties are often traced to a single altering event. Last November’s upset may just have created a monster.
    The Stampeders were one of the CFL’s best regular season teams ever in 2016 and now they have something to stew over. And that, no one’s uncomfortable talking about.
    “It hurts. To make it that far and make it deep and barely lose a game,” said Stamps defensive end Charleston Hughes, the CFL’s sack leader last season with 16 quarterback takedowns. “To have a winning season like that and to lose in the championship, it’s bittersweet and it hurts. But at the same time you have to find a way to learn upon the mistakes that were made in that game and come back even better.”
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/04/18...pinach-popeye/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bo Levi Mitchell discusses what it was like living on the $35-40,000 as a third string Stampeder QB in his rookie year.

“My first year was my learning experience, making $35,000-$40,000 after taxes and going home and not having any money after a little while and you’re thinking ‘Oh, what do I do? This is the most money I’ve ever made in my life, how do I not have any money left?’, “ Mitchell said. “It’s easy to be irresponsible with your money.”
    http://calgaryherald.com/sports/base...-okotoks-dawgs

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo (on paper at least since he never played for Toronto before being traded to Calgary for Akwasi Antwi) Dan Federkeil is interviewed below.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/04/21...dan-federkeil/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's a excellent article on last year's rookie of the year, DaVaris Daniels and his father, who played in the NFL and is now a coach in the NFL.

In just 11 appearances — after waiting half the season for his chance — Daniels hauled in 51 catches for 885 yards and nine touchdowns. He soundly beat Ottawa Redblacks offensive lineman Jason Lauzon-Seguin in the rookie-of-the-year voting.But drawing on a lesson preached by quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell — to never, ever be satisfied — Daniels moved to Philadelphia this offseason to train under the watchful eye of his father, now the defensive quality control and assistant defensive line coach for the NFL’s Philadelphia Eagles.
    Call it a lineman boot camp for a wiry receiver.“It’s different because it’s something I’ve never done before. Just trying to get more power in my legs and get stronger all the way around,” DaVaris Daniels says.The six-foot-five, 302-pound Phillip Daniels logged 15 seasons in the NFL trenches with Seattle, Chicago and Washington.“He’s a big guy and I was this little frail thing,” says DaVaris, who was listed last year at six foot one and 207 pounds. “So it’s definitely been different, but I definitely see the benefits of what he’s been teaching me.“We’ve done a lot of squats, a lot of deadlifts — a lot of everything. We do these pullover presses that I’ve never done before, burnouts. It’s tough, but it’s definitely good.”Daniels is already good. The overriding question is whether the 24-year-old has what it takes to be great and realize his dream of playing in the NFL just like his dad. ...
    “I’m excited. I feel like there’s added pressure on me now.”Some of that pressure comes from being a known commodity. Defensive co-ordinators around the league have studied film on the Notre Dame product for the last six months. The athletic specimen is a marked man, and defensive backs are no doubt determined to shut him down. ...
    Explosive with top-end speed, Daniels approached every series as a chance to prove he belonged in the starting lineup.“To me, it was the same feeling I had with Eric Rogers walking in,” Mitchell said of the former Stampeders wideout who is now on the roster of the San Francisco 49ers. “DaVaris is a special player. He’s going to do a lot of great things in this league.“I think he’s a guy who has an NFL chance. Obviously I want him to stay here and help me break records, but obviously I want him to do what’s best for him. And while I have him, I’m going to take advantage of him.”
    https://www.pressreader.com/canada/c...82007557278106

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Stampeder Matt Walter discusses his retirement, playing in the CFL and winning the Grey Cup, as well at his ongoing involvement in football at Stampeders.com.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    On the Waggle sophomore Alex Singleton discusses using his mother's Canadian birth to become a CFL National, as well as his brother's participation at the Combine and the ramifications from the Stampeders' loss in the Grey Cup on the upcoming season.

http://www.cfl.ca/thewaggle/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    OL coach Pat DelMonaco discusses his offseason preparation for the 2017 season in the video below.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/04/27...pat-delmonaco/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Rob Maver is interviewed at the url Stampeders.com below.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In an interview Kamar Jordan discusses how the patience to stick around for three years finally led to his becoming a regular and a successful season.

He joined the Stamps’ practice roster all the way back on Oct. 2, 2013. By late September of 2016, almost three full years later, he had appeared in a grand total of six games. The lack of game action was the result of a combination of injuries and getting caught in the numbers game with the talented and deep Stamps pass-catching corps.
    Then an injury to Bakari Grant in Week 13 created an opening at slotback and Jorden took full advantage. In his first game back in the lineup, he had nine catches for 126 yards and a touchdown against Winnipeg. He added another 100-yard game and another major two weeks later against Toronto.
    Jorden made at least three receptions in each of the Stamps’ final eight games of the season including five in both the Western Final and the Grey Cup.
    “Most definitely I want to build off that,” says Jorden. “I want to keep that momentum rolling from last year. This last year was really what I knew I could do. The first two years, I was dealing with injuries and everything else. Last season was the first year I was able to go out there and do my thing.”
    Jorden has certainly had to be patient during his first couple of years as a Stamp. In 2014, both Jorden and Eric Rogers were members of the practice roster for much of the year. Then, late in the season, both players got a chance to play. Rogers got the call in Week 18 and made five catches for 72 yards. The following week, it was Jorden’s turn and, in snowy conditions at McMahon, he managed just one reception for seven yards. ...

So the Stamps went back to Rogers in Week 20 and a standout performance – including two touchdowns – in the regular-season finale earned him a roster spot in the playoffs. The following season, Rogers led the CFL in receiving while Jorden appeared in just two games.
    Through it all, Jorden remained determined and simply waited for his chance. Finally, in the second half of 2016, he was rewarded.
    “Every off-season is the same focus of being better than I was the year before, and to add on to my skills from the previous year,” he says. “I don’t want to keep harping on the Grey Cup but that was the biggest game I ever played and I know it was a big experience for me. It made me want to be a greater receiver. Not just good – I want to be one of the top receivers in the CFL and I want to be able to make plays for Bo (Levi Mitchell) that people don’t expect me to make. That’s my focus – to do that extra rep or whatever it takes to make myself one of the best receivers in the CFL.
    “As long as I believe that and I show that to myself, then the rest of the league will see what type of receiver I am.”
    https://www.stampeders.com/2017/04/2...ays-off-kamar/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bo Levi Mitchell's goal is to go undefeated.

If Bo Levi Mitchell had it his way, the Calgary Stampeders would never lose a game again.
    He’d never have to take the disappointing, head-hung-low walk off the field, never have to explain what went wrong to members of the media and never have to feel the disbelief of an overtime loss in a game late in November.
    Finishing an entire season without a loss may seem far fetched but it’s not impossible.
    The 1948 Calgary Stampeders remain the CFL’s only team to have a perfect regular season, finishing their campaign with a 12-0 record. They were 2-0-1 in the playoffs and went on to defeat the Ottawa Rough Riders to win the Grey Cup. ...

2016’s Stampeders were as close to a perfect season as any team has been in recent memory.
    The Stamps were without a loss from Week 2 all the way until their season finale in Week 19 – a loss against the Montreal Alouettes that head coach Dave Dickenson elected to rest most of his starters, including Mitchell.
    After that stellar season, Calgary solidified themselves in history with the longest single season win streak at 14 games and the longest unbeaten streak at 16 games – after a loss against the BC Lions in the team’s opening week, and the loss in the season’s ender, a Week 3 tie against the Ottawa REDBLACKS was the only blip in the Stamps’ impressive run.
    Mitchell himself also set the most consecutive wins by a starter at 14.
    And when asked about matching last season’s success in 2017, the Calgary quarterback confidently said, “I’m going to go undefeated one year.”
    https://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/29/mitche...go-undefeated/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After a 15-2-1 winning season that ended with a loss to a 8-9-1 Redblack team, the Stampeders will be playing with a chip on their shoulders because of their haunting memory of their loss. Bo Levi Mitchell, Marquay McDaniel, DaVaris Daniels and Alex Singleton talk about how the Grey Cup loss still affects them below.

Bo Levi Mitchell waited four long months to watch the video evidence of the nightmare that was the 2016 Grey Cup.
    Until then, he needed no reminder thanks to his subconscious working overtime every night as he tossed and turned.
    “I was having dreams about each play and how I could have done it differently,” the Calgary Stampeders quarterback says. “You wake up and you think you’re a champion.” Every morning, Mitchell had to come to grips all over again with the bitter truth. Yes, the Stampeders dazzled in a 15-2-1 regular season. And yes, they won five trophies – including Mitchell’s hardware for most outstanding player – at the CFL awards show. It’s so crazy – so hard to describe,” Mitchell says. “You’re playing a team that’s 8-9-1. They have a losing record. You almost expect to win …” His voice trails off. “As long as you don’t do what I did.” Mitchell threw eight interceptions through 18 regular-season games last season. In the Grey Cup, he uncharacteristically tossed up three picks.
    But Mitchell, 27, has plenty of company when it comes to Stampeders with regrets over how the championship went down.
    Slotback Marquay McDaniel wishes he hadn’t jammed his shoulder in the first quarter, forcing him to sit out and leave Mitchell without his most dependable target. Linebacker Alex Singleton bemoans the numerous missed assignments and blown coverages that allowed an aging Henry Burris to pile up 39 points. “You don’t win games doing that,” Singleton says. “The defence just wasn’t clicking. It was definitely our side of the ball.”
    Then there was the play debated by armchair quarterbacks all over the country. With time ticking down on second-and-two – and the Stamps two yards away from a Grey Cup title — head coach Dave Dickenson tasked third-string quarterback Andrew Buckley to sweep right as part of an option play. The RedBlacks stymied Buckley, leaving Dickenson open for criticism about why he didn’t ask Jerome Messam to pound the ball up the middle.
    “Actually, Ottawa messed up but it worked out in their favour,” McDaniel says. “They didn’t cover Anthony Parker, who was in motion. They didn’t cover him, and he came back to the side he was supposed to come to. But Ottawa didn’t cover it right and since they didn’t cover it right, it ended up working to their advantage. It’s just football. If it works, great. If it doesn’t work, then it’s `Why didn’t you throw the ball?’ You live with it. Dave is a great play caller. If they line up right and run their defence a little bit different, then it might have worked out.”
    It might have worked out, but it didn’t. And so the Stamps set out to recreate the regular-season fairytale of 2016 but with a happier ending.
    “Honestly, I think we might have needed that loss even with all the success that we had,” says wideout DaVaris Daniels, the CFL’s rookie-of-the-year. “It shows us that even if you win that many games, it is tough to win the Grey Cup. You have to put that work in now to win that. You can be that close and still fall short.”
    McDaniel is a cagey eight-year veteran, so he realizes better than most the magnitude of the missed opportunity. “I’m not taking anything away from Ottawa,” says McDaniel, 33. “They came to play. They came to play and they punched us in the mouth, and we didn’t respond. It’s going to be a long season. That’s the thing about age. You enjoy playing games, but the playoffs are what matters. You wait to get that point and try to get a Grey Cup.”
    It snowed Monday in Calgary, but the Stampeders — one year older and one year wiser — realize time spent in the off-season lifting weights and studying game film could spell the difference come November. Gone are the likes of defensive end Frank Beltre (New York Jets), receiver Bakari Grant (Saskatchewan Roughriders), linebacker Glenn Love (Saskatchewan Roughriders), defensive back Adam Berger (Ottawa Redblacks) and defensive lineman Zach Minter (Saskatchewan Roughriders.) But Mitchell, McDaniel, Singleton and Daniels are back, along with much of the core.
    “You take what happened and you use it,” Singleton says. “You’ve got to use it as a chip on your shoulder. You’re a professional. You need to be able to show up the next day and do it all over again.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...423/story.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    HC John Hufnagel discusses the Stampeders mini-camp below.

“When we started doing our camps in 2008, the other kind of camp (with veteran players) didn’t even exist in the CFL,” says Hufnagel. “If they did, we probably would have done it that way, too. But the camp started as just a way for us to find new players and because we’ve had continuity with our coaches and returning players over the years, we’ve just kept doing it that way.”
    While the occasional player with CFL experience shows up – such as return man Roy Finch, who had played briefly for Ottawa prior to attending the Stamps’ 2016 free-agent camp – most of the attendees are diamonds in the rough and talented but undiscovered players just looking for an opportunity.
    “It’s incredibly valuable,” Stamps director of Canadian scouting Brendan Mahoney says of the free-agent camp. “It gives you an idea of where these players are at physically, but also how quickly they can pick up things scheme-wise in a short period of time.
    “You also see some leadership qualities and you get to sit down and talk to the various players. For us, it’s very valuable, but at the same time, it’s also very valuable for the player to give them a leg up coming into training camp.”
    While they’re virtual unknowns in Canada heading into the Stamps’ free-agent camp, some of the campers emerge into big-time performers. Charleston Hughes, Brandon Smith and Deron Mayo, just to name a few, are some of the current Calgary mainstays who came to the Stamps via the Florida camp.
    Then there’s Finch, who was at the Florida camp in 2016 after a one-year absence from the CFL and eventually became a record-breaking returner in his first season with the Stamps.
    http://www.stampeders.com/2017/05/02...-camp-florida/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Eric Rogers released by 49ers, but not likely headed to CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former NFL QB attended the Stampeders mini-camp.

Freeman has been on Calgary’s exclusive negotiation list since September 2015, which means he can attend mini-camp without a contract, abiding by CFL rules. The 29-year-old did not show well enough to earn a deal and won’t be at the Stamps main training camp. He’ll be dropped off the neg list too.
    The Kansas State product was a first-round pick, 17th overall by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2009. He started 61 games over seven seasons with three different teams, compiling 81 touchdowns, 68 interceptions, 13,873 yards and a 77.6 quarterback rating. His last start came in January 2016 with the Indianapolis Colts and he was out of pro football last season.
    The Stampeders held a three-day mini-camp in Florida that featured mostly first-year players and wrapped up Monday. They currently have four quarterbacks on the roster, led by Bo Levi Mitchell who was the league’s Most Outstanding Player last season. Mitchell Gale, Canadian Andrew Buckley and Nick Arbuckle are on the Stamps depth chart after Calgary traded long-time back up Drew Tate to Ottawa in February.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/05/02/fo...i-camp-stamps/