Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
I don't agree with you that this is a waste of time at all. With so many U.S. colleges, it would be impossible to fully scout all of them, and these try-outs provide an opportunity for the team to find that "diamond-in-the rough" who may have been overlooked but has talent and passion to play. For example, Cameron Wake was shopping himself around to all teams and could barely get a sniff of interest until the BC Lions took a chance on him. The rest is history. I am not positive, but I think several players the Argos eventually signed were discovered at these free-agent tryouts. Cory Boyd comes to mind, but like I said, I am not positive. Not sure if that info is kept anywhere or if anyone else can clarify. But in the end, what does it hurt?
The Argos have definitely signed some guys who made the team out of these FA camps. One I recall who didn't turn out too well was Claude Wroten, a huge defensive tackle who turned heads at the Florida mini-camp in 2011 and looked as if he would make a big impact with the Boatmen. I remember a play where he fought off a double-team block and made a sack or tackle for a loss using just one arm. But he was gone a few months later for reasons we can only speculate about. He's just one -- there have been others who made it. Ravi will probably remember some.