Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Is there any positive Argo news?

After today's FA activity it is safe to say the Argos are a gutted and rudderless ship. As constructed right now they are the polar opposite of a best in class franchise. I remember the frustrating days of the 2015 season but there was the understanding of better days ahead in 2016 and the move to BMO FIELD. 2017 may well go down as one of the darkest times in Argo history. I hope they can survive it. I hope ownership is truly in it for the long haul and in it to make the Argos the flagship of the CFL. We are about to find out how committed they are. I have nothing positive to report. Perhaps others have something encouraging to say about the team right now. As constructed I don't think they can beat Laval right now.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ricky Ray is feeling good and wants to play in 2017?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    After today's FA activity it is safe to say the Argos are a gutted and rudderless ship. As constructed right now they are the polar opposite of a best in class franchise. I remember the frustrating days of the 2015 season but there was the understanding of better days ahead in 2016 and the move to BMO FIELD. 2017 may well go down as one of the darkest times in Argo history. I hope they can survive it. I hope ownership is truly in it for the long haul and in it to make the Argos the flagship of the CFL. We are about to find out how committed they are. I have nothing positive to report. Perhaps others have something encouraging to say about the team right now. As constructed I don't think they can beat Laval right now.
    Well said. Add to this, whatever media coverage we may have had in this market, we will probably lose that.

I listened to TSN1150 today and their 3 hour FA coverage. Every night they cover some CFL. Sad to say I need to tune into a Hamilton station to get my football fix. Can even the hardcore fans hold on?

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    We haven't overspent in free agency so far, so we'll have plenty of money for recruiting.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Possible signing of Earnest Jackson is good news.

No college team is beating a CFL team. It's men against boys.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    TSN 1150 had great coverage. Refreshing. I assume there was zero talk on 1050 what with Chewbacca signing with the Raptors and there being 1 of 84 Leaf games tonight. Their interview with Copeland this morning was good. You can sense the frustration by Naylor and Landsberg which shows me they care for the well being of the team.

Gobbler your point on not overspending in free agency is a beauty point. Well said.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    TSN 1150 had great coverage. Refreshing. I assume there was zero talk on 1050 what with Chewbacca signing with the Raptors and there being 1 of 84 Leaf games tonight. Their interview with Copeland this morning was good. You can sense the frustration by Naylor and Landsberg which shows me they care for the well being of the team.

Gobbler your point on not overspending in free agency is a beauty point. Well said.
    Naylor, Landsberg and Simmons were agitated and extremely critical of Copeland's approach this off season and IMO were dead on!
    Rome burns and Copeland blissfully continues his road trip chatting and gathering info as to the type of guy necessary to run the Argos.
    The rest of the league must be delighted as many Argonauts jump at the chance to leave the organization.
    Sad part is Copeland seems oblivious to all of this happening.
    To answer your question Scooter, no positives now or in the foreseeable future.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Agreed. Although I missed Copeland, I did catch the Naylor-Landsberg-Simmons discussion and you described it well.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    To answer your question Scooter, no positives now or in the foreseeable future.
    That is some industrial-strength depression!

I don't think we've lost anyone indispensable. I would have liked to keep Shaw and Jefferson, but not at any price.

Game #1 is a long, long way off...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    That is some industrial-strength depression!

I don't think we've lost anyone indispensable. I would have liked to keep Shaw and Jefferson, but not at any price.

Game #1 is a long, long way off...
    Correct, a depressing time indeed.
    Yes the Argos were 5-13 with the likes of (Jefferson, Shaw and Spencer) in their lineup but much better organizations saw fit the pursue and sign them as free agents to presumably improve themselves.
    Many of these players will flourish simply by getting out of Toronto.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I've yet to see anything impressive under the New Ownership and Copeland. While I did want Milanovich and Barker gone, the timing of Copeland's decision screwed us. Then again, Barker and Milo screwed us by sticking with Ray, then trading for Willy, but we've danced that dance too many times lol.

Copeland on Naylor and Landsberg in the Morning.
    http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050...leafs-1.671255

Naylor, Landsberg, Simmons. Starts at 14:18

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    We haven't overspent in free agency so far, so we'll have plenty of money for recruiting.
    LOL. Well, I must commend your sense of humour sir. It's all we can really do, I guess. Argo recruiters are probably trying to get a job somewhere else right now. Indeed the process continues, but a very futile first day in Free Agency. Many of the guys that interested me, are gone. More Argo's spread around the league, trained and ready to be great, and in their prime.

We paid for the learning curve. Ottawa continues to impress, and Toronto continues to confound. The first whistle hasn't been blown yet, but getting quality CFL ready starters is a huge head start.

I shudder to think how empty the stands will be for the season opener. Good vibe and good press is huge for this franchise. Instead, we get Jeff Matthews.

Yes, all you can do is laugh.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    American LB Winston Venable agrees to terms with #Argos https://t.co/UpCBsvRIti #Toronto #Argonauts #CFL #CFLFA pic.twitter.com/URHnljctxC
    — Justin Dunk (@JDunk12) February 15, 2017

Well, there is some much-needed good news! I am sure that Rich Stubler is quite happy with this signing.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I've yet to see anything impressive under the New Ownership and Copeland. While I did want Milanovich and Barker gone, the timing of Copeland's decision screwed us. Then again, Barker and Milo screwed us by sticking with Ray, then trading for Willy, but we've danced that dance too many times lol.

Copeland on Naylor and Landsberg in the Morning.

Naylor, Landsberg, Simmons. Starts at 14:18
    I listened to him with Naylor and have to say that I don't think the current CFL rules regarding 1 and 2 year contracts will enable him to achieve his grand vision. He is saying the right things about building a perennial contender that is set up for a decade of excellence but how do you do that in today's CFL? Players are moving every other year. Today is a good example of that. I really like the the 2015 Argos (having so much stacked against them, I love how they handled that adversity) but most of those players have now moved on. If it were for player loyalty I might choose the Redblacks instead of the Argos (considering who they all got today) but I am an Argos fan. I just wish there were some players that were going to be with the team long term. Aside from Ray, Foley, Durie, and Coombs, who else has been around more than 4 years?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Happy with Venerable signing!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Any positives? Of course. We won't have to worry about an immense raiding party trying to sign away talented Argo free agents in 2018. Also as a close to expansion team we should be have lots of bucks to pursue free agents a la Ottawa in its early years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    Agreed re Winston Venable. Curious how the other pieces play out on the defensive end.Jefferson was our top corner no?That’s less than ideal, although obviously replaceable.

I think both Shaw and Spencer could have breakout years too – especially Kenny Shaw. Spencer, needs the scheme of getting him the ball in open space more imo, shaw just made plays.

Regardless, very happy with the Venable signing, would have been an over the top day signing Dennis too but it is what it is. Have to assume that the organization will be relying on the free agency camps to plug some of these holes (which has been a bit hit or miss in the past).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    Agreed re Winston Venable. Curious how the other pieces play out on the defensive end.Jefferson was our top corner no?That’s less than ideal, although obviously replaceable.

I think both Shaw and Spencer could have breakout years too – especially Kenny Shaw. Spencer, needs the scheme of getting him the ball in open space more imo, shaw just made plays.

Regardless, very happy with the Venable signing, would have been an over the top day signing Dennis too but it is what it is. Have to assume that the organization will be relying on the free agency camps to plug some of these holes (which has been a bit hit or miss in the past).
    As we witnessed the last two seasons; it is tough to break in new DB's *especially when they are ALL basically new."

I really wanted AJ back for his 3rd season. He'll probably be an All Star in Ottawa.

Aaron Berry should be on one side and now who for the other?

Patrick Watkins? Macho Harris? Squeeze some more football out of Jovon Johnson? He's versatile, and could help lead this group. I think one of these 3 players is needed, as the team has been left with many holes. Good QB's will run a defense roughshod if one side of the field is not strong.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    If Michael Copeland was hired to blow up the franchise and in doing so finally bury the CFL for good so that an unfettered Bell Media/Larry Tannenbaun can finally land a NFL I have to say he's done a fine job. I have no confidence that anything other than an interim GM/HC will be in place to start a season!!

I just hope that history repeats itself and Trudeau tables legislation to keep the NFL out and the CFL alive.