Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    After listening on the drive to work today, I have absolutely zero confidence in Copeland. If they didn't want Barker as GM anymore, I really wish they had kicked him up to president and let him hire a GM. At least then I'd know someone with good connections would be leading the search.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I found it incredulous when he replied to the perception 2017 FA's have to the Argos situation. To paraphrase "They will see the quality long term structure of the organization and be attracted to coming here".

Wow, with a 2 1/2 year average career length for these young men, I am pretty sure 2021 isn't part of their 2017 FA negotiations. Certainly the cream of the 2017 FAs will play elsewhere. Perhaps even the best Argos FAs have to really be asking themselves the same question.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Michael Clemons should have been CEO and head of football ops a year ago. He is a man with a vision and passion and understanding of what it takes to win. There is no way Copeland makes that hire because it would mean his job. Ownership needs to make this right.
    It's nice for everyone to want Clemons to be the hand picked guy, but why would he want it? As far as his vision and what it takes to win, are we forgetting that he hand picked Gary Etcheverry and Rich Stubler as head coaches, and neither made it through their first season? It's one thing to motivate as a player or HC, but hard to do from a front office position. All he could do is tarnish his legacy if things went sour.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I found it incredulous when he replied to the perception 2017 FA's have to the Argos situation. To paraphrase "They will see the quality long term structure of the organization and be attracted to coming here".

Wow, with a 2 1/2 year average career length for these young men, I am pretty sure 2021 isn't part of their 2017 FA negotiations. Certainly the cream of the 2017 FAs will play elsewhere. Perhaps even the best Argos FAs have to really be asking themselves the same question.
    I'm not really worried about that. At the end of the day, most of these guys will go to the highest bidder anyways. I'm more worried about their ability to scout newcomers to the league. For the most part, surprise players that many have never heard of are the ones that make the biggest differences on teams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm not really worried about that. At the end of the day, most of these guys will go to the highest bidder anyways. I'm more worried about their ability to scout newcomers to the league. For the most part, surprise players that many have never heard of are the ones that make the biggest differences on teams.
    I think only the top FAs that get alot more money than current contract will move. There are so many FAs now with 1 year contracts that the money after the big guys is marginal. If so, than alot of guys will go to where they have the best opportunity to win and thereby make a name for themselves for an NFL opportunity next year. The opportunity to win in Toronto is slim with no GM, no coach, no game philosophy and indecisive management. This is where Copeland is disconnected again. Guys signing one year contracts are not buying into what the team might become in 2-3 years.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think only the top FAs that get alot more money than current contract will move. There are so many FAs now with 1 year contracts that the money after the big guys is marginal. If so, than alot of guys will go to where they have the best opportunity to win and thereby make a name for themselves for an NFL opportunity next year. The opportunity to win in Toronto is slim with no GM, no coach, no game philosophy and indecisive management. This is where Copeland is disconnected again. Guys signing one year contracts are not buying into what the team might become in 2-3 years.
    If a player wants an opportunity to make a name for himself looking for an NFL shot, then the opportunity to play a big role on a team is more important than being on a winning team. The opportunity to stand out more increases. It's not like only Grey Cup champs get looked at in the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    If a player wants an opportunity to make a name for himself looking for an NFL shot, then the opportunity to play a big role on a team is more important than being on a winning team. The opportunity to stand out more increases. It's not like only Grey Cup champs get looked at in the NFL.
    Who from the 2016 Argos is getting serious NFL consideration? It was hard to standout last year. If you are a receiver, who is throwing you the ball? If you are a defender and you are on the field for 40 minutes a game and are gassed how will you look? Ottawa lost 3 defensive backs alone, one of which is a backup to the NFL.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Who from the 2016 Argos is getting serious NFL consideration? It was hard to standout last year. If you are a receiver, who is throwing you the ball? If you are a defender and you are on the field for 40 minutes a game and are gassed how will you look? Ottawa lost 3 defensive backs alone, one of which is a backup to the NFL.
    LB Jeff Knox Jr. and DB Otha Foster from Saskatchewan both signed with NFL teams. They were just as bad as the Argos. I might add Knox was a starter on a team that won a total of 8 games over the last 2 years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It's now clear to me that we will almost certainly go into this season with an interim GM (Zimmerman) and an interim HC (probably Condell). Copeland is looking for a Shanahan type to oversee football ops and has belatedly discovered that they aren't in abundant supply. All we can do at this point is put our faith in Zimmerman et al to outperform expectations, which shouldn't be that hard since expectations are now so low.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post

They've already overpaid for CVZ ($230,000 per year for 3 years for a guy who will be 37 at the end of the contract), so how many others would they be able to overpay in order to attract them to unattractive situation in Toronto before they are limited to recruiting also-ran free agents?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    They've already overpaid for CVZ ($230,000 per year for 3 years for a guy who will be 37 at the end of the contract), so how many others would they be able to overpay in order to attract them to unattractive situation in Toronto before they are limited to recruiting also-ran free agents?
    The years, and his age at end of the contract, are irrelevant. No contract is guaranteed. He could be cut before training camp, or any time in the next three years. I suspect teams sometimes give guys long-term deals just to get them signed, knowing full well they may not keep the player for the full term. Not saying that happened in this particular case, but it makes no sense to criticize anyone for overpaying in future years. The only way it would matter is if most or all of any bonus money is paid up front.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    After listening on the drive to work today, I have absolutely zero confidence in Copeland. If they didn't want Barker as GM anymore, I really wish they had kicked him up to president and let him hire a GM. At least then I'd know someone with good connections would be leading the search.
    Not surprised that the Argos moved on from Barker but to do so with no replacement on the horizon is truly bizarre.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Not surprised that the Argos moved on from Barker but to do so with no replacement on the horizon is truly bizarre.
    Yup. Should have done it right after the end of the regular season, or at the very least after the Grey Cup. I really don't understand wtf is going on with this team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Yup. Should have done it right after the end of the regular season, or at the very least after the Grey Cup. I really don't understand wtf is going on with this team.
    I was asked not once, but TWICE today if the Argo ownership group is purposely 'to scuttle' this franchise. I told them I was really starting to wonder myself.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    I was asked not once, but TWICE today if the Argo ownership group is purposely 'to scuttle' this franchise. I told them I was really starting to wonder myself.
    There was always that evil thought lurking - for me anyways - with NFL wannabe Tannenbaum involved with the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Gonzo, how can you say such a thing, Copeland is touring North America unlocking the secrets to building a dynasty😂
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well you think it'd be in Larry Tanenbaum's best interest to show that he is capable of owning a successful football team. Such a conspiracy would also need to involve Goodell himself.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Gonzo, how can you say such a thing, Copeland is touring North America unlocking the secrets to building a dynasty
    Someone tell him that we don't need him to crack the friggin Da vinci code, haha

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Someone tell him that we don't need him to crack the friggin Da vinci code, haha
    Not sure if it's just a sell job, but Copeland brought up that he's looking into people up here as well. I find it hard to believe that CFL teams at this point would be willing to lose an Asst. GM at this point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Gonzo, how can you say such a thing, Copeland is touring North America unlocking the secrets to building a dynasty