Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Three of 4 GMs from CFL GM Panel 2015 are now gone. B.C. Lions' Wally Buono remains, while Saskatchewan Roughriders' Brendan Taman, Montreal Alouettes' Jim Popp, and Toronto Argonauts' Jim Barker. Attachment 844

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Rumour has it, Hufnagel's contract is expiring or expired at the end of last season (February like FAs?). We have 2/3 same owners who went after Shanahan, Lou and Babcock. Do they offer a nice big contract to Hufnagel to become GM and Director of Football Operations/football czar?
    There never was any love lost between Jim Barker and John Hufnagel. Ironic, if he was the reason for Jim's early release.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 01-25-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't understand the timing of this move, and if Popp is brought in, it's a sideways move at best IMO. Milanovich sticking around is just another smh moment.

What is it with this new regime and everything being delayed so much ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    "Fire Barker!", then "They fired him too late, should have kept him." At least there is some comedy around here. Let's see who gets hired before we all jump off a cliff.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Rumour has it, Hufnagel's contract is expiring or expired at the end of last season (February like FAs?). We have 2/3 same owners who went after Shanahan, Lou and Babcock. Do they offer a nice big contract to Hufnagel to become GM and Director of Football Operations/football czar?
    Apparently, they extended him long term. One article suggested his contract was up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    "Fire Barker!", then "They fired him too late, should have kept him." At least there is some comedy around here. Let's see who gets hired before we all jump off a cliff.
    In the midst of an epochal gong show, this little entertainment is entirely overwhelmed.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    And another negative about the timing. It didnt give Barker an opportunity to find employmen in the cfl. Certainly reduced his chancesby keeping him bound to the argos. He did need to pay for the .willy trade as it was a season killer when it was announced and we paid way too much

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggiemac View Post
    And another negative about the timing. It didnt give Barker an opportunity to find employmen in the cfl. Certainly reduced his chancesby keeping him bound to the argos. He did need to pay for the .willy trade as it was a season killer when it was announced and we paid way too much
    With two years still left on his Argos contract, I am guessing that Barker has no plans of working in 2017 anyway.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Better late than never imo. I would've preferred the firing take place after their last game, but perhaps they didn't have anyone already lined up. I'm pretty sure that with this timing, they've just about got a deal with someone in secret.

Let's face it, the Sports media in Toronto is not always going to be chasing stories and following the moves of the Argonauts front office, so I would not expect them to know about it. For Pete's sake, many had no idea Mike Babcock was coming to coach the Leafs, and several in the Toronto sports media already reported him shuffling off to Buffalo, and that was the NHL team in this market. Can you really expect real journalism and scoops from the guys today. The days of Pat Marsden, Jim Hunt, and I'll say it, Marty York leading the way with scoops on CFL news in Southern Ontario are long gone in comparison to the shills and cheerleaders that make up Sports journalism and reporting in this city today.

How could some of you say they might as well have kept Barker for this season? Did you watch that product that he put on the field last year? Who would want to sit through that again?

Popp and Trestman would be a huge upgrade...Jim Popp on his own would be an upgrade based on the type of defensive players that he brings in to the league. Say what you will about the Als struggles to replace Anthony Calvillo at QB since his retirement, but the defense has kept them in many games against the top teams. The Argos recruitment of defensive players under Barker has been pretty bad over the last 2 seasons. I could swear Calgary could've put 70-80 points vs the Argos at BMO last year...that's not a pro football defense that can hardly be called an effort.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    This move had to be made but took way too long.
    Who is next, if they are looking south perhaps Trestman or Chris Rossetti are in the mix but with Copeland who knows?
    Last edited by Argo57; 01-25-2017 at 06:48 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    If Copeland had a new GM under contract in his pocket then it would have been announced by now. With Free Agency 3 weeks away a Argos team without a GM is a handicap that the Argos can ill afford. Taking 3 months time to assess and evaluate the Argos situation is a smoke screen for incompetence. Copeland should be fired for this and the Grey Cup ticket sales fiasco.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Calling for Copeland to be fired because he waited too long to fire Barker ignores the fact that only half of the equation is complete. Until we know who's coming in as head of football ops, it's too early to pronounce judgment on this move. If Rossetti or Burke or Sunderland comes aboard, there might be cause for celebration. If Hufnagel or Buono were to come aboard, there would definitely be cause for celebration. But no matter who comes in, we won't actually know whether the right decision was made for some time to come. (We also don't know how much the pricing of Grey Cup was Copeland's call, FWIW.)

I said from the end of the season that I'd rather they take their time evaluating ops and get it right than rush to a decision. Time will tell whether or not firing Barker and hiring Mr. X was right, but so far only half of that equation is known.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    As for why it took so long, based on Copeland's statements yesterday I'd be willing to bet he left football ops alone when he was hired in late 2015, trusting that vets like Barker and Milo could keep that end afloat while the new mgrs. focused on marketing, sales and the Grey Cup. When that plan went awry, Copeland had to do the sort of due diligence that probably would have happened in the first place if they weren't moving into a new building, trying to turn around the fortunes of a franchise with little place in the public consciousness and trying to sell a major event. The fact that the Grey Cup was a sales disaster prevented Copeland from doing all this until after the season. Hence it took that long.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Rosetti was the guy I was trying to think of that went to the Dolphins. If he were to come back as GM I could see him being ok with Milanovich staying on. Wouldn't be any big news in Toronto IMO such as hiring Hufnagel etc. but he caught the eye of the Dolphins so he may be an up and coming smart exec. Barker trained him so maybe when the dust were to settle Barker would stay on as a US Scout. Something he might really like at this stage in his life and career.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    If they go after an NFLer to become GM instead of someone that understands the Canadian game we are most likely in trouble. NFLer's like Trestman almost never work out historically. Should have figured out your football operations / president and then deal with Barker later after he is able to evaluate the situation himself. They promoted Zimmerman to assistant GM... again putting the cart before the horse. This upcoming season is a loss and Milanovich will be fired by no later than the end of the next season. i agree with many that this may have to do with costs. Time will tell but I am really disappointed and regret renewing my seasons. I hate watching losers with little to no hope.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    If they go after an NFLer to become GM instead of someone that understands the Canadian game we are most likely in trouble. NFLer's like Trestman almost never work out historically. Should have figured out your football operations / president and then deal with Barker later after he is able to evaluate the situation himself. They promoted Zimmerman to assistant GM... again putting the cart before the horse. This upcoming season is a loss and Milanovich will be fired by no later than the end of the next season. i agree with many that this may have to do with costs. Time will tell but I am really disappointed and regret renewing my seasons. I hate watching losers with little to no hope.
    As a coach, Trestman did in fact work out -- so not the best example of a failed "NFLer." Second, Zimmerman's promotion is no doubt temporary to ensure that someone is in charge of football ops until a new head is appointed. I doubt Copeland would saddle the next football boss with an assistant when he's already said he's not forcing him to keep the head coach. Amazing that anyone could write the season off already, when so much is still to be determined, but clearly there are Argo fans who demand constant and instant success.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Does Michael Copeland hire a football guru and let him hire the GM, or is the football guru position off the table and the rush is on to fill the GM position? I am a little surprised that JB was fired before the structure of football operations were finalized? Begs the question on timing. Is there a hire already out there that has already been determined and just awaiting finalizing?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Rosetti was the guy I was trying to think of that went to the Dolphins. If he were to come back as GM I could see him being ok with Milanovich staying on. Wouldn't be any big news in Toronto IMO such as hiring Hufnagel etc. but he caught the eye of the Dolphins so he may be an up and coming smart exec. Barker trained him so maybe when the dust were to settle Barker would stay on as a US Scout. Something he might really like at this stage in his life and career.
    I'm hoping it is Rosetti.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    As a coach, Trestman did in fact work out -- so not the best example of a failed "NFLer." Second, Zimmerman's promotion is no doubt temporary to ensure that someone is in charge of football ops until a new head is appointed. I doubt Copeland would saddle the next football boss with an assistant when he's already said he's not forcing him to keep the head coach. Amazing that anyone could write the season off already, when so much is still to be determined, but clearly there are Argo fans who demand constant and instant success.
    That was my point Trestman worked out which is very rare. Bringing in NFLer's from players, coaches to executives almost never works out. So you believe this is a receipt for success? You cannot change the football operations at this stage in the year and be successful this year in my opinion. If they do not hire a CFL guy or the new person does not surround himself with CFL experienced people we will be in big trouble. Trestman was smart enough to surround himself with good experienced CFL people which helped ensure he was successful. For this season the QB position is still a question mark along with the defensive secondary. If I was a free agent I wouldn't want to come to Toronto.

I also think this past year that Copeland was and is not ready for this job. It has proven to be too much for him to handle. From attendance at the season opener, Grey Cup issues and the managing of the football side of the business. If he is not able to show good progress this year he will be fired next year as well.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thomas Dimitroff is stolen away from the Atlanta Falcons right after they win the Super Bowl and returns to Canada/Ontario to rudder the good ship Argo, and becomes the 1st GM to win back-to-back Super Bowls and Grey Cups !

OK, maybe not; probably going to be some typical CFL BOB re-use/recyle job. Please not that over-rated clown Poop; and if it's that moron Tillspin, I swear I might abandon my 5 decade plus allegiance to the good ship Argo.