Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level

Johnny Manziel

I think he is either a drug addict or alcoholic (well, thats what the radio men are saying) but they also say he wants to make a come back to football.
    We need publicity, we need some chance to winning football games when Ray inevitably splinters his bones after falling over onto the grass, so hey why not.

Bring this problem child in and see what happens, it can't be any worse than our current predicament.

Better yet, hire him as head coach and see how that goes.
    Hey everybody! Check out my YouTube page at MARCWAGZ ON YOUTUBE for some Mediocre Martial Arts and Music Videos.

New Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    lol i would actually be open to signing him. Tons of publicity. He probably wont tho because of his massive ego

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    While I don't think we have a good starting QB on our roster, guys like Manziel and Cato aren't the answer IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I gotta believe Larry Tannenbaum would do anything to try and sign Johnny Football. Tannenbaum looks at what Giovinco did for TFC and he's gotta figure the Argonauts need their own equivalent. Giovinco gave TFC (and MLS) a certain legitimacy -- in the eyes of some casual fans -- that they didn't have before. He singlehandedly raised the profile of the team in this town, and as an added bonus, he delivered on the field and helped the team win a lot of games.

It's highly unlikely Johnny would be as successful on the field as Giovinco was, but you can be damn sure casual fans would be talking about the Argos again if they signed him. I think it would dovetail nicely with all the people curious about the tailgating, and honestly I think they could sell out the joint if they did it, at least for the first few games.

There's also a good football reason to go after Manziel: Cody Fajardo. Any system you built for Johnny would also be perfect for Fajardo. One of the reason teams are reluctant to go with a read/option style is that QBs get hurt too much when they carry the ball that much. But bring a coach in to commit to such a system -- and I think Tom Clements would love to work some kind of read option hybrid up here -- then you just plug in the great athletes at QB: Manziel, Fajardo, even LeFevour fits the bill but maybe they could find a rookie upgrade.

Having said all this I'd be willing to bet some NFL team is going to take a flyer on Manziel. And I'm not sure there's another possibly-available "name" QB that could stir up that kind of interest up here. Maybe they could reunite Kaepernick and Fajardo :-)?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Wow, if the report is true that Chris Jones worked him out, then maybe Johnny really is in play. Maybe Tannenbaum is wining and dining him as we speak, introducing him to Drake and showing him how much good "clean" fun he could have in Toronto (answer: a lot). Maybe that's what this whole delay's about so they can announce Clements and Manziel at the same time and blow the lid off this town.
    Last edited by Rich; 02-10-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Wow, if the report is true that Chris Jones worked him out, then maybe Johnny really is in play. Maybe Tannenbaum is wining and dining him as we speak, introducing him to Drake and showing him how much good "clean" fun he could have in Toronto (answer: a lot). Maybe that's what this whole delay's about so they can announce Clements and Manziel at the same time and blow the lid off this town.
    Chris Jones is firing back now though saying he didn't because that would violate Hamilton's negotiation list.

He does seem overly sensitive about the matter though, saying he might sue...
    Hey everybody! Check out my YouTube page at MARCWAGZ ON YOUTUBE for some Mediocre Martial Arts and Music Videos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Justin Dunk is doubling down, somewhat precariously IMO.

His story says: "One of the sources works in the CFL and another is close to Manziel. They independently said they had knowledge of a workout but did not want their identities divulged."

On Regina radio yesterday, he reportedly said, "I like to deal with the facts and it did happen . . . If he indeed worked out for a CFL team, which is true, . . ."

So he's stating categorically that Manziel worked out for the Sask Roughriders. The only way he could know with absolute certainty that it happened is if he was physically present for the workout. His two sources could have lied or been mistaken. It is not out of the realm of possibility that someone in the CFL who's out to get Jones made the story up, and someone close to Manziel was mistaken or in on the scam. Dunk is trying to become a journalist but he seems to have ignored fundamentals of the profession, such as not accepting everything someone tells you as gospel. You'd think in this age where political leaders spin falsehoods routinely, that would be self-evident.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Justin Dunk is doubling down, somewhat precariously IMO.

His story says: "One of the sources works in the CFL and another is close to Manziel. They independently said they had knowledge of a workout but did not want their identities divulged."

On Regina radio yesterday, he reportedly said, "I like to deal with the facts and it did happen . . . If he indeed worked out for a CFL team, which is true, . . ."

So he's stating categorically that Manziel worked out for the Sask Roughriders. The only way he could know with absolute certainty that it happened is if he was physically present for the workout. His two sources could have lied or been mistaken. It is not out of the realm of possibility that someone in the CFL who's out to get Jones made the story up, and someone close to Manziel was mistaken or in on the scam. Dunk is trying to become a journalist but he seems to have ignored fundamentals of the profession, such as not accepting everything someone tells you as gospel. You'd think in this age where political leaders spin falsehoods routinely, that would be self-evident.
    I agree totally Paul.

I for one am tired of so called reporters trying to be private I's, and looking for TMZ style stories to report on. Just tell me the basics of what I need to know, and stop trying to dig for dirt. The world's security is not at risk over these type of things.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree totally Paul.

I for one am tired of so called reporters trying to be private I's, and looking for TMZ style stories to report on. Just tell me the basics of what I need to know, and stop trying to dig for dirt. The world's security is not at risk over these type of things.
    On that we disagree. Yes, the fate of the world does not hinge on whether or not Sask worked out Manziel. But rules are there for a reason, and if they are broken it is often in the public interest for that to become known. It is certainly in the interest of others who are bound by the same rules. If a CFL team breaks the rules all teams are expected to comply with, as a fan I want to know that. But if I'm one of the teams, it's not a matter of want, it's a matter of need.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    no no no

this is a guy who couldn’t take the NFL seriously, how do we think he’s going to take the cfl seriously?

I don’t get a sense that he needs the money – why does anyone really think he’s going to show up and grind? I for one see disaster – honestly I hope he figures his life out and maybe I’m dead wrong on this but I don’t think the CFL is the answer here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    On that we disagree. Yes, the fate of the world does not hinge on whether or not Sask worked out Manziel. But rules are there for a reason, and if they are broken it is often in the public interest for that to become known. It is certainly in the interest of others who are bound by the same rules. If a CFL team breaks the rules all teams are expected to comply with, as a fan I want to know that. But if I'm one of the teams, it's not a matter of want, it's a matter of need.
    I don't believe rules should be broken either, but IMO, it's not up to a glorified blogger to report it. Teams, or the league should be the ones that do the investigating on this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't believe rules should be broken either, but IMO, it's not up to a glorified blogger to report it. Teams, or the league should be the ones that do the investigating on this.
    That's like saying politicians should investigate whether other politicians are on the take. Independent reporting to hold the powerful accountable is a requirement of democracy, and the same basic principle applies to an institution like the CFL. If no one independent reports on it, rules can be broken with impunity. The league doesn't have the investigative know-how or resources to determine if teams are contravening the salary cap -- all it can go by is whatever info the teams provide voluntarily. If a team was hiding spending, the chance of it being uncovered by the league or other teams is very low. Whether Dunk is a journalist or a "glorified blogger" is a matter of opinion, but we need journalists to report on what's happening in the league, even if some of that reporting makes the league or teams uncomfortable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That's like saying politicians should investigate whether other politicians are on the take. Independent reporting to hold the powerful accountable is a requirement of democracy, and the same basic principle applies to an institution like the CFL. If no one independent reports on it, rules can be broken with impunity. The league doesn't have the investigative know-how or resources to determine if teams are contravening the salary cap -- all it can go by is whatever info the teams provide voluntarily. If a team was hiding spending, the chance of it being uncovered by the league or other teams is very low. Whether Dunk is a journalist or a "glorified blogger" is a matter of opinion, but we need journalists to report on what's happening in the league, even if some of that reporting makes the league or teams uncomfortable.
    You are comparing serious issues here to entertainment (sports), Paul. I love the Argos and the league as much as anyone, but I personally don't care about these type of things. The only good that might come out of this? Maybe the league will decide to rid themselves of the outdated neg lists they have. All non draft eligible players should be free agents IMO, especially now that the league has a true salary cap.

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    no no no

this is a guy who couldn’t take the NFL seriously, how do we think he’s going to take the cfl seriously?

I don’t get a sense that he needs the money – why does anyone really think he’s going to show up and grind? I for one see disaster – honestly I hope he figures his life out and maybe I’m dead wrong on this but I don’t think the CFL is the answer here.
    Personally, i think it would be GREAT for the Argos. Manziel + Drake are buddies, you want that Millennial interest? there it is. That's a 100% recipe for gold.

Why would Johnny want in? Easy, if he is reformed as he says he is, it's the EASIEST way to to get the attention of the NFL. Prove yourself, prove that you don't have an ego, that you still have skill, that you can work with a team and the NFL will come CALLING. how many players did the CFL release early to "pursue NFL opportunities" already? The NFL cherry picks our talent, they're always watching.

Johnny signs with the Argos, for 1 year for decent money (CFL terms, not his) it shows he's humbled
    Johnny will get opportunity to play, Willy may not pay off and Ray is too often injured, which will get the attention of NFL big-wigs
    Johnny reaches out to Drizzy, Drizzy shows up to 1 game. JUST ONE, and we'll have sold out tickets. 100% guaranteed.

The risk?
    brings bad press to the Argos...but as the saying goes, no such thing as bad publicity.
    we do shit in the season. we'd still sell out, for those who buy tickets in hopes to see Drake chillin' on the sidelines.
    we pay too much. Willy. need i say more?
    he leaves after 1 season - expected
    he trashes the game/league. <- this is the worse case scenario IMO.

the rewards?
    rejuvenate the Argos
    recognition on the world stage
    Johnny gets opportunity show his new colours
    Argos get to show the beauty of our stadium
    CFL gets to show our awesome game.

The biggest group who would oppose this play would be the old guard, the purists. Unfortunately, we need to reach beyond them. We need spectacle. If we want the Argos to thrive, we'd need to sacrifice what we "think" is best and open our eyes to opportunity.

I really hope someone from Argos HQ saw this. lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    You are comparing serious issues here to entertainment (sports), Paul. I love the Argos and the league as much as anyone, but I personally don't care about these type of things. The only good that might come out of this? Maybe the league will decide to rid themselves of the outdated neg lists they have. All non draft eligible players should be free agents IMO, especially now that the league has a true salary cap.
    I would be happy to see the end of neg lists, but I stand by my belief that even "fun and games" deserve to be come under scrutiny from journalists. As someone who spends a not-insignificant amount of money on this entertainment, I want to feel confident that it is a level playing field with fair competition. I didn't like the Roughriders practising with extra/unsigned players and allowing injured-list players to practise with actives, and I'm glad it came to light and sanctions were issued. Although in that case I think the journalists covering the Roughriders dropped the ball -- the story was broken, more or less, by a Bo Levi Mitchell tweet. Anyone covering the team in Regina could and arguably should have counted bodies and noticed injured guys on the field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenners View Post
    Personally, i think it would be GREAT for the Argos. Manziel + Drake are buddies, you want that Millennial interest? there it is. That's a 100% recipe for gold.

Why would Johnny want in? Easy, if he is reformed as he says he is, it's the EASIEST way to to get the attention of the NFL. Prove yourself, prove that you don't have an ego, that you still have skill, that you can work with a team and the NFL will come CALLING. how many players did the CFL release early to "pursue NFL opportunities" already? The NFL cherry picks our talent, they're always watching.

Johnny signs with the Argos, for 1 year for decent money (CFL terms, not his) it shows he's humbled
    Johnny will get opportunity to play, Willy may not pay off and Ray is too often injured, which will get the attention of NFL big-wigs
    Johnny reaches out to Drizzy, Drizzy shows up to 1 game. JUST ONE, and we'll have sold out tickets. 100% guaranteed.

The risk?
    brings bad press to the Argos...but as the saying goes, no such thing as bad publicity.
    we do shit in the season. we'd still sell out, for those who buy tickets in hopes to see Drake chillin' on the sidelines.
    we pay too much. Willy. need i say more?
    he leaves after 1 season - expected
    he trashes the game/league. <- this is the worse case scenario IMO.

the rewards?
    rejuvenate the Argos
    recognition on the world stage
    Johnny gets opportunity show his new colours
    Argos get to show the beauty of our stadium
    CFL gets to show our awesome game.

The biggest group who would oppose this play would be the old guard, the purists. Unfortunately, we need to reach beyond them. We need spectacle. If we want the Argos to thrive, we'd need to sacrifice what we "think" is best and open our eyes to opportunity.

I really hope someone from Argos HQ saw this. lol
    I love the enthusiasm, but it should be noted that Ricky Williams didn't exactly help the Argos kill it at the box office. If Manziel's plan was to come up here for a year to establish that he has changed his ways, then what from an Argos perspective? They don't need one and done guys to be the face of the team. That may mean one and done with fans that are only here to see that player. They had it with guys like Chad Owens, Ricky Ray and Andre Durie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Instead of going after and signing these "projects" and with Manziel he is a head case, the team should do everything possible to trade for the stud James Franklin.
    Just like last year when they gave the store for Willy who appears done, this guy looks like the next great one.
    It's possible the Esks may not trade him, but somehow I doubt it as he is a FA after this year and there is no chance he will take back up money when so many teams will go after him.
    Let's make the deal now.

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The day Ricky Williams signed we had a mad house in the office selling tickets. I worked in the office during that time period.

Now he is not a long term solution for the Argos problems, But he solves our biggest problem and that is to get people down to experience BMO Field. We need a reason for people to come and see that BMO Field is a different atmosphere for Football. During Ricky's time attendance was still above 28k a game which is a sellout at BMO Field

I think it is worth the risk we got nothing to loose

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think Manziel would help for more tickets, at least early on, but I don't think it would be sustained. Although like the jokingly mentioned idea of Rex Ryan coming in, the media would be all over the team, and let's be honest the team really needs that right now.

IMO Baker Mayfield is another version of Manziel, but without the off field issues. Both are tailor made for the CFL IMO, and both have a lot of talent, but Manziel's off field issues without question are a concern.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I think Manziel would help for more tickets, at least early on, but I don't think it would be sustained. Although like the jokingly mentioned idea of Rex Ryan coming in, the media would be all over the team, and let's be honest the team really needs that right now.

IMO Baker Mayfield is another version of Manziel, but without the off field issues. Both are tailor made for the CFL IMO, and both have a lot of talent, but Manziel's off field issues without question are a concern.
    Manziel is not worthy to wear the Double Blue.
    No thanks.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions