Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Manziel

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    My first reaction to Manziel is no. I see a cancer, that will affect an entire team. I see another fiasco. The Argos sign a big name that turns into a big joke, that actually ends up harming the team more than helping. But on the other side, I see a reborn Manziel, who has realized the bright lights are gone, who hopefully has burned through most of his money, and has learned a lesson, and a desire to actually play the sport he has the talent to play. He has talent, and a talent that is suitable to the CFL with his agility. He has a big name that could draw fairweather fans. I'm not sure I'm for it, but it sure would be interesting to watch. I'm sure, for different reasons, there were those who chuckled when Doug Flutie signed with BC, so who knows.

About neg lists, please get rid of them. They are antiquated and unnecessary due to the salary cap as someone mentioned already. They are secret but they are not and they are definitely not fan friendly, which should be the goal of the CFL, to be as fan friendly as possible. I almost wish there was some type of draft for international free agents who've never played in the CFL, but I think that wouldn't work, or maybe it would with certain rules. There must be some other way to do this besides the neg lists. Perhaps just ridding them entirely is the way to do it. But it would be nice to know that your team has the rights to a certain player, if your team actually does, instead of this para-secret neg list that's currently in place.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Manziel is not worthy to wear the Double Blue.
    No thanks.
    Amen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Manziel with the Argos has no chance of happening anyway unless the Ticats deal his CFL rights.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Manziel with the Argos has no chance of happening anyway unless the Ticats deal his CFL rights.
    Are you suggesting the Cats would prevent Manziel from signing in Toronto by refusing to deal his rights? Isn't there a gentlemen's agreement about this among the old boys? And even if there wasn't, there's no way Orridge would stand back and watch the League lose Johnny Football over a stupid neg list issue. Deals would be made, strings would be pulled, just like the Ricky Ray trade. No harm, no foul, everybody wins.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    I almost wish there was some type of draft for international free agents who've never played in the CFL, but I think that wouldn't work, or maybe it would with certain rules.
    I love this idea. It would stir up all kinds of new interest in the CFL from fans and also from the NCAA players. Our teams could draft underclassmen and we could follow their college careers. The draft strategy would be fascinating. 10 rounds at least?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    They don't need one and done guys to be the face of the team. That may mean one and done with fans that are only here to see that player.
    No they shouldn't do it if it is for only one year. At least two, and I'd even be hoping to squeeze three years out of the guy, he is still only 24. But even if it's only two, we'd hopefully have Fajardo still ready to run the same offence after Johnny left.
    Last edited by Rich; 02-11-2017 at 02:40 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    No they shouldn't do it if it is for only one year. At least two, and I'd even be hoping to squeeze three years out of the guy, he is still only 24. But even if it's only two, we'd hopefully have Fajardo still ready to run the same offence after Johnny left.
    If you can get his name on a 3 year contract, absolutely, let`s get his rights and do it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Manziel is obviously a pretty good QB talent - from his US college ball play anyways; but he didn't do much in some NFL opportunity, plus he seems like a head-case with party galore problems = Argos do not need an over-hyped ego-head clown competing at QB, IMO.

Much rather see them sign (probably won't be drafted) Mac QB Asher Hastings - who set the CIS single season TD passing record a couple of years back - decent size too at 6-2, 215. I realize I would be wayyyy in the minority here (a lot of CFL fans probably never heard of the guy), but IMO he would be worth a TC look - and probably proud to get a CFL shot and learn/develop; as opposed to a character like Manziel who probably figures he would get handed the Argo starting job and walk all-over CFL defences.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I agree with Rob Vanstone's view that Jones failure to allow questions about Manziel to be answered leaves lots of question marks about the situation.

The Roughriders contend that they have not done anything wrong. In a media release issued Thursday afternoon, Jones — the head coach, general manager and vice-president of football operations — said: “The Saskatchewan Roughriders have not held or attended a workout involving Johnny Manziel. With that, I will not be commenting further on the report.”
    The problem is, many people are still talking about it. ...
    Even after the denials, the story remained on 3DownNation.com and the Hamilton Spectator’s website.
    Such decisions are not taken lightly in the reporting business. Although there are plenty of gasbags who bleat “fake news,” that fashionable claim often turns out to be, well, fake news.
    The Roughriders did not resort to applying that label, but they did respond sharply to Dunk’s latest bombshell of a report. Jones told Lawless that legal action was being considered. The team’s prepared statement came later.
    Unblinking amid the mention of possible litigation, neither Dunk nor 3DownNation.com editor Drew Edwards retreated from the oft-retweeted story.
    Despite what media-bashers may think, such stories are not thrown around frivolously, haphazardly and/or maliciously. Reporters’ careers are on the line. A swing and a miss on a major story can be damaging to one’s credibility, a quality Dunk and Edwards possess in abundance.
    While weighing both sides of this “he said, he said” story, it would be preferable to hear directly from Jones in an interview setting that allows for direct questioning and follow-ups.
    A canned response unaccompanied by a face, or a voice, leaves questions unanswered. (Could this simply be a matter of semantics? How, precisely, is a “workout” defined by the team? Were any overtures of any nature made to Manziel or his people? Is there some sort of explainable misunderstanding? Was it an innocent mistake? Et cetera.)
    Jones, who I consider to be a straight shooter, certainly is not averse to addressing matters head-on and in impressive fashion.
    Laudably, he flew from his native Tennessee to Regina to personally address the media — and, by extension, the fans — after the rights to marquee quarterback Darian Durant were traded to the Montreal Alouettes on Jan. 13. Only after patiently and courteously fielding every inquiry did Jones head back to the airport.
    It was a spectacular display of accountability.
    In the latest instance, however, nary a word has been heard.
    http://leaderpost.com/sports/footbal...needed-a-voice

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I love the enthusiasm, but it should be noted that Ricky Williams didn't exactly help the Argos kill it at the box office. If Manziel's plan was to come up here for a year to establish that he has changed his ways, then what from an Argos perspective? They don't need one and done guys to be the face of the team. That may mean one and done with fans that are only here to see that player. They had it with guys like Chad Owens, Ricky Ray and Andre Durie.
    I don't necessarily think we need a face for the team or want one. That's too short sighted. What we need is a circus. Interest. If 10 people come I hopes of seeing Drake and Manziel, and only 2 come back the year after that's 2 more young fans to our game.

Will it happen? Doubtful. But tbh for anyone to say no right off the bat is a lil too short sighted and elitist. I love the game and what we need for it to do well and not be an afterthought in Toronto is something big to draw interest.

After that we need to continue what we currently have, great atmosphere, great location and field, a great schedule and hopefully a winning team. All of which we can build and continue after Manziel.

All of these would, i'd argue, make Argos a big BIG draw.

My apologies for my passion, I just get a bit excited when thinking of ways to get the team we love away from this 3rd rate team bullshit.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenners View Post
    I don't necessarily think we need a face for the team or want one. That's too short sighted. What we need is a circus. Interest. If 10 people come I hopes of seeing Drake and Manziel, and only 2 come back the year after that's 2 more young fans to our game.

Will it happen? Doubtful. But tbh for anyone to say no right off the bat is a lil too short sighted and elitist. I love the game and what we need for it to do well and not be an afterthought in Toronto is something big to draw interest.

After that we need to continue what we currently have, great atmosphere, great location and field, a great schedule and hopefully a winning team. All of which we can build and continue after Manziel.

All of these would, i'd argue, make Argos a big BIG draw.

My apologies for my passion, I just get a bit excited when thinking of ways to get the team we love away from this 3rd rate team bullshit.
    Shortsighted would be bringing in a malcontent who seemingly has no self respect and even less respect for the organization he plays for.
    Short term sideshow that would have zero impact on the Argonauts long term viability and in fact would smack of desperation.
    How about they get the basics taken care of first, hire a GM, stabilize their coaching staff and go from there.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm all for giving him a chance. The league has done it many times and been rewarded for it. As I said, I think it would look bad on the team and league if he played for a year, had success and left. Commit to a 3 year contract or no for me.

As for the Drake thing? A big no thanks for me. I can't see him being interested anyways. He doesn't strike me As the type that would partakei in a Canada only way event.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Just for fun, I asked two friends if they would go to an Argo game if Manziel was QB and they both said yes. They're both the classic snobby Toronto football fans who mostly brush off the CFL. There's no doubt that he would garner interest and probably get us a few sell outs. The organization needs people to check out a game at BMO and if only 1 or 2 out of 10 ever come back it's still worth it at this point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Manziel is not worthy to wear the Double Blue.
    No thanks.
    That's essentially why I don't want to see him here. I think he has talent, but I'd rather not see him sully the Argos or CFL name with his off field antics.

https://onsidecfl.wordpress.com/2017...itti-from-tsn/
    He's not the only one that thinks this. I've heard Naylor, Landsberg, and Lawless bring it up multiple times now within the last week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    That's essentially why I don't want to see him here. I think he has talent, but I'd rather not see him sully the Argos or CFL name with his off field antics.

https://onsidecfl.wordpress.com/2017...itti-from-tsn/
    He's not the only one that thinks this. I've heard Naylor, Landsberg, and Lawless bring it up multiple times now within the last week.
    Just listened to this podcast, doesn't sound like the Argo GM situation will be resolved soon.
    Honesly I find their approach to be rather bizarre.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just listened to this podcast, doesn't sound like the Argo GM situation will be resolved soon.
    Honesly I find their approach to be rather bizarre.
    IMO it just goes to show that Copeland and TanenBELL have no clue as to what they're doing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    IMO it just goes to show that Copeland and TanenBELL have no clue as to what they're doing.
    I think you are correct SnowRogue.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level

Pretty much what I suspected and said when this ownership group was announced. Often the situation for pro sports teams now = the play-things of rich guys (or corporations) that are clueless clowns with anything to do with the sport they are involved in.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Often the situation for pro sports teams now = the play-things of rich guys (or corporations) that are clueless clowns with anything to do with the sport they are involved in.
    It's a video that is on endless replay with the owners often expecting the community to subsidize them through paying for their expensive stadiums.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level