Thread: Johnny Manziel

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    IMO it just goes to show that Copeland and TanenBELL have no clue as to what they're doing.
    If you had said at the end of the season that both Barker and Milanovich would've been gone none of us would've been too surprised. But imagine finding out back then that the Argos would not have a coach or a GM in time for free agency? We would've wondered what kind of gong show are they running?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    CFL on social media today, is doing a straw poll on whether the Ticats should sign Johnny football. Are they are being proactive on this issue after suffering the PR disaster they went through this week?
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    CFL on social media today, is doing a straw poll on whether the Ticats should sign Johnny football. Are they are being proactive on this issue after suffering the PR disaster they went through this week?
    They used to call that "testing the water". lol

Didn't Manziel get charged with hitting his then girl friend in Texas a couple of years ago?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    A lot of issues with this one. Terrible timing too.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Manziel has activated his 10 day window (sign, trade or release within a 10 day period). I'm surprised our media isn't going gaga over the idea of Manziel landing here, Naylor's pushed it hard for the last couple of months though.

Montreal and Toronto need a QB of the future, so they're the most likely fits IMO.
    Last edited by R.J; 09-14-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Manziel has activated his 10 day window (sign, trade or release within a 10 day period). I'm surprised our media isn't going gaga over the idea of Manziel landing here, Naylor's pushed it hard for the last couple of months though.

Montreal and Toronto need a QB of the future, so they're the most likely fits IMO.
    I predict Montreal will be his destination. With the night clubs there, it will be quite the test to see if he is beyond his party days.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

New Fan
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Yeah Montreal seems more likely to me than Toronto does at this point and I had exactly that thought about Johnny Football and the Montreal party scene this morning. I have doubts that Popp or Trestman have much interest in him, unless both the opportunity and financial costs are quite low.

That being said it would be a hell of a comeback story if he did come up here and got his life/career back together in the process.

Does anyone think there any chance that Ottawa would have any interest, considering the situation with Trevor Harris?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm thinking that he ends up in Saskatchewan.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post

It would create quite a stir for a while if the Argos managed to land him. So how does this sign, trade or release in 10 days work. Suppose Hamilton gave what the
    league considered a fair offer and the Manziel camp turned it down. Does he then become a free agent? Or stay on the Hamilton neg list?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Suppose Hamilton gave what the
    league considered a fair offer and the Manziel camp turned it down. Does he then become a free agent? Or stay on the Hamilton neg list?
    I believe it would go to an arbitrator at that point. Perhaps even the commissioner. Personally, I think they should have to release him at that point. It's absurd to hold a player that has never been under contract back from signing. Time to abolish the stupid neg lists.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    If Manziel becomes a free agent, I don't think he will pick Toronto because Marc Trestman doesn't play his backups unless he absolutely has to and Manziel has shown no patience at any time in his career.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    It would create quite a stir for a while if the Argos managed to land him. So how does this sign, trade or release in 10 days work. Suppose Hamilton gave what the
    Here is how it works.

If a contract offer is not received within that period, the player is removed from the neg list. If a contract offer is received but rejected, the player is removed from the list one year from the offer date.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/09/13/jo...-clock-report/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    That's utter stupidity. Neg lists need to go away. I'd even prefer an International draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here is how it works.

If a contract offer is not received within that period, the player is removed from the neg list. If a contract offer is received but rejected, the player is removed from the list one year from the offer date.

http://3downnation.com/2017/09/13/jo...-clock-report/

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    That's utter stupidity. Neg lists need to go away. I'd even prefer an International draft.
    I agree but after the Art Briles fiasco in Tiger Town do they really want to risk another fiasco with Manziel given his history that includes a domestic violence charge? If Hamilton wants to salvage something out of this, they could make a minimum salary offer to Manziel and quickly trade his rights to one of the other teams interested in him. Personally I wouldn't even do that because the Cats already have created an image problem with their fans.

The league has said Manziel would have to undergo an assessment with a domestic violence prevention official and meet with commissioner Randy Ambrosie, who’d then decide whether to approve the contract. In January 2016, Manziel was charged after being accused of hitting and threatening a former girlfriend before reaching an agreement with prosecutors to dismiss the case. ...
    It’s unclear which teams are interested in Manziel but any club acquiring him would have an additional 10 days after the consummation of the deal to make him a contract offer. If an offer was made and Manziel turned it down, he’d remain on the franchise’s negotiation list for up to a year from the date of rejection. ...
    A team could initially present Manziel a two-year deal – one year plus an option – for the league minimum of $53,000 annually knowing it’d be turned down. But it would be with the understanding two sides would have up to a year to work out a more suitable agreement while ensuring Manziel doesn’t step on to a CFL field with another franchise.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/09/14/ti...erest-manziel/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree but after the Art Briles fiasco in Tiger Town do they really want to risk another fiasco with Manziel given his history that includes a domestic violence charge?
    A domestic violence charge doesn't look like it's gonna hurt Ezekiel Elliott's career very much. In the NFL kneeling for the anthem is considered a bigger sin than hitting a woman. Why would domestic violence charges be any less forgivable in the CFL?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    As I said in February, it wouldn't surprise me if Larry Tannenbaum was strongly "encouraging" Popp to sign Johnny Football. Larry knows that people love big names in this town, and I'd bet he believes that signing a big name like Manziel would put the Argonauts on the map.

But I agree with Angelo, it would only make sense if he signed a 3-year contract, this year plus a commitment for 2 more. Johnny could spend the rest of this season learning the ropes watching Ricky play and take over for the start of next season, while Tannenbaum watches ticket sales go through the roof.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As I said in February, it wouldn't surprise me if Larry Tannenbaum was strongly "encouraging" Popp to sign Johnny Football. Larry knows that people love big names in this town, and I'd bet he believes that signing a big name like Manziel would put the Argonauts on the map.

But I agree with Angelo, it would only make sense if he signed a 3-year contract, this year plus a commitment for 2 more. Johnny could spend the rest of this season learning the ropes watching Ricky play and take over for the start of next season, while Tannenbaum watches ticket sales go through the roof.
    This is where I disagree. I don't think signing Manziel would result in a major spike in ticket sales. A minor one, yes, but not a major one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Would be a shame to go from a class act like Ricky Ray to this guy, no thanks.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    This is where I disagree. I don't think signing Manziel would result in a major spike in ticket sales. A minor one, yes, but not a major one.
    Two questions:

Can he make the throws a QB needs to make in the CFL?
    Character: is there any evidence whatsoever of quality in this fellow?