Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

2017 CFL Combines

The CFL has announced its National Combine and three regional Combines schedule, as well as the rosters for each one.

The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced that the League will once again host three regional combines with the participating players having one final opportunity of earning an invitation to the 2017 National CFL Combine presented by adidas, which will take place in Regina, March 23-25.
    For the first time in its history, the CFL Combine will head west to Regina as a part of the broader CFL Week festivities.
    The CFL will host regional combines for the fifth consecutive year with the trio beginning in Montreal for the Eastern Regional, Toronto for the Ontario Regional and Regina for the Western Regional.
    Last year, 17 players from regional combines were extended an invitation to the National CFL Combine.The CFL, with input from all teams, will then invite additional players from the regional combines to the national Combine in Regina depending on player performance. Each regional combine will invite approximately 40 to 45 football players.
    The top players eligible for the upcoming 2017 CFL Draft, as ranked collectively by the teams and the league office, are invited to attend the national CFL Combine presented by adidas.

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2017/...-participants/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    A few top rated prospects not going? Justin Senior, Jordan Herdman, and the 2 CIS East-West US game participants - Geoff Gray and Anthony Auclair. Agents advising them not to attend to concentrate on NFL shots (chance of injury at the CFL Combine?) Also, former Dino star receiver Rishaun Simoinse not on the Combine list - had an NFL look last year, and hoping for a recall there (Bengals i think it was?).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    A few top rated prospects not going? Justin Senior, Jordan Herdman, and the 2 CIS East-West US game participants - Geoff Gray and Anthony Auclair. Agents advising them not to attend to concentrate on NFL shots (chance of injury at the CFL Combine?) Also, former Dino star receiver Rishaun Simoinse not on the Combine list - had an NFL look last year, and hoping for a recall there (Bengals i think it was?).
    Injuries are always a risk. I remember meeting a guy in university who in high school in Hamilton was considered as good as Tony Gabriel, who played in the same region. He won a football scholarship at a tryout for Kent State. However, after he was told he had made it, he continued the tryout as others were still being checked out, only to be injured. When he asked the Kent State coach how this would affect his scholarship, the answer was "We don't take cripples". I'm sorry I can't remember his name as it was more than 40 years ago.
    Last edited by jerrym; 02-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Injuries are always a risk. I remember meeting a guy in university who in high school in Hamilton was considered as good as Tony Gabriel, who played in the same region. He won a football scholarship at a tryout for Kent State. However, after he was told he had made it, he continued the tryout as others were still be checked out, only to be injured. When he asked the Kent State coach how this would affect his scholarship, the answer was "We don't take cripples". I'm sorry I can't remember his name as it was more than 40 years ago.
    Anyone remember watching Argonaut star Jim Stillwagon tearing up his knee participating in "All pro countdown" a made for TV CFL skills competition, he was never the same after that.
    I realize not exactly the same scenario but these events can pose some risk for the player.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Marshall Ferguson reviews eight NCAA who are coming to the 2017 CFL Combine below:

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/24/ferguso...eaded-combine/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Marshall Ferguson reviews eight NCAA who are coming to the 2017 CFL Combine below:

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/24/ferguso...eaded-combine/

A few question marks about Ferguson's comments there:

Jordan Herdman is NOT listed as going to the CFL Combine - in favor of holding a pro day for NFL scouts? - why does he include him?

Says Maine LB Mulumba Tshimianga is more a CFL OLB candidate? - guy is 240 range and a natural MLB where he played college ball - where does he come up with that thinking ??? Guy is a blue-chip CFL MLB prospect.

Says D-lineman prospect Justin Vaughn is a DE? - pretty sure he was an all-star DT in US college ball last season?

Compares DB prospect Wright to a Raptors player ??? - WTF ?

Mason Woods was a guard in US college ball, but he opens his comments there referencing OTs ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    A few question marks about Ferguson's comments there:

Jordan Herdman is NOT listed as going to the CFL Combine - in favor of holding a pro day for NFL scouts? - why does he include him?

Says Maine LB Mulumba Tshimianga is more a CFL OLB candidate? - guy is 240 range and a natural MLB where he played college ball - where does he come up with that thinking ??? Guy is a blue-chip CFL MLB prospect.

Says D-lineman prospect Justin Vaughn is a DE? - pretty sure he was an all-star DT in US college ball last season?

Compares DB prospect Wright to a Raptors player ??? - WTF ?

Mason Woods was a guard in US college ball, but he opens his comments there referencing OTs ?
    Great questions. The article has something of the air of Rod Blackism, who always mentions former NFLers in the CFL with a kind of reverence, in other words that American is better than Canadian. However, with regard to Jordan Herdman, who is skipping the CFL combines, he mentions him in the context of his usually overlooked twin briother, Justin. Justin will be attending the combine in Regina. Jordan himself says that the SFU defence was partly designed to have Justin and others channel offensive players towards him, increasing the record breaking number of tackles that he achieved. Justin could well turn out to be a great pickup for the team that drafts him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is an interview with 6 foot-9 OL University of Idaho Mason Wood, the 10th ranked prospect.

“I want to prove to people that there’s a lot more to Mason Woods than a 6-foot-9 frame,” says the towering lineman out of Port Coquitlam, B.C. “I’m a fairly intellectual guy, I’m in the fittest shape possible and I’m extremely adaptable at multiple positions.”
    In keeping with the theme of adaptability, Woods saw time at four of the five spots on the Vandal line over the course of his career — tackle in 2014, both tackle and guard in 2015 and full-time duties at strong guard this past season.
    “Our coaching staff was very patient with me, coming to meetings early to help me nail things down during the transition,” explains Woods, ranked third amongst offensive linemen by CFL central scouting. “Within our system we switched sides, so where I was comfortable playing right tackle and left tackle, I’m now comfortable playing right and left guard as well.”
    As a member of a strong offensive line which allowed the Vandal offence to flourish, Woods played a role in Idaho’s remarkable turnaround from 1-10 laughing-stock in 2014 to 8-4 Potato Bowl champions this past season.
    “I realized that if you’re somebody who just relies on strength, eventually you’ll meet somebody stronger, so you have to be able to adapt,” says Woods. “I know myself well and I’m confident that I can adapt my game, whether I’m facing a strong D-tackle or a really fast D-end, at the pro level.”
    http://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/27/idahos-...-just-big-man/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is a video interview with #7 prospect, McMaster receiver Danny Vandervoort, 3rd all-time in career TDs and a Argo fan.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/12/19/top-pro...y-vandervoort/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here is a video interview with Calgary Dino #17 prospect DB Robert Woodson, brother of former Argo Anthony Woodson and son of former CFLer Tony Woodson.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/12/22/top-pro...thony-woodson/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Manitoba Bison #5 prospect OL Geoff Gray is interviewed below.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/12/27/top-pro...an-geoff-gray/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Eastern Regional Combine will be the first combine, occurring tomorrow in Montreal.

Three-time RSEQ All-Star and recent Vanier Cup Champion and defensive back Alexander Hovington headlines the list of those looking to impress on Friday, while fans should also keep a close eye on Montreal Carabins defenders Alex Cromer-Emond and Emile Charron-Ligez.
    Acadia defensive back Harland Hastings will be one to watch in the 40 after he put up a 4.57 a year ago at the East-West Bowl Combine. Hastings ranked second in the AUS last season with 39 unassisted tackles.
    Rounding out CFL.ca’s prospects to keep an eye on Friday is Oumar Toure, a 6-foot-4, 250-pound tight end out of Sherbrooke with a unique skill-set.
    http://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/09/testing...four-combines/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    As the #20 CFL prospect, Regina Rams receiver Mitchell Picton is not getting as much attention as some other receivers.

But his numbers tell a different story.
    The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Picton led the nation in touchdown receptions (11) and finished second in receiving yards (834), ahead of all other ranked USports prospects in both categories.
    Along with cousin and Regina quarterback Noah Picton — the 2016 Hec Creighton winner — he helped turn the Rams from 0-8 laughingstock in 2015 to 6-2 regular-season Can-West Champions in 2016.
    “I had an incredible group around me on offence, and with Noah slinging it to me, the season as a whole went really well, even though it didn’t end the way we wanted it to,” reflects Picton, whose Rams fell in the Can-West semi final to UBC. “To bounce back from 0-8 the way we did was huge, and I had a great year with stats, so it was all-around an incredible season.”
    The unique chemistry between Regina’s star quarterback and top receiver dates back to their days in youth and high school football together.
    “Football is something (the two of us) have been doing for a long time, since we started walking basically,” laughs Picton, an accounting major. “I’ve never played on a team where he hasn’t been throwing me the ball, and that chemistry built up over a lot of years playing football, hockey and being in school together.”
    http://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/09/quiet-c...-picton-radar/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The article at the url below discusses five players to watch at the Eastern Regional Combines on Friday: LB Alex Cromer-Emond, LB Alex Hovington, DL Emile Charron-Ligez, DB Harland Hastings and TE Oumar Toure.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/09/5-playe...ional-combine/

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I'm looking forward to reading reports from the combines. I've said this before, but... I wish Duane Forde still cared about CFL prospects.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Possible its about injuries, probably is. But these guys have all gone through similar work outs at the all star games and NFL work outs. CFL scouts always attend those so they have a pretty good idea what those guys can and cannot do. IMO.
    Allows a few more players to attend the combine that wouldn't be there if the above mentioned guys were there. That is probably a good thing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I'm looking forward to reading reports from the combines. I've said this before, but... I wish Duane Forde still cared about CFL prospects.

Yeah - what up there? Forde used to write all those articles on the TSN web page, tracking the CFL draft/prospects.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Possible its about injuries, probably is. But these guys have all gone through similar work outs at the all star games and NFL work outs. CFL scouts always attend those so they have a pretty good idea what those guys can and cannot do. IMO.
    Allows a few more players to attend the combine that wouldn't be there if the above mentioned guys were there. That is probably a good thing.
    Jordan Herdman is holding his own pro day in North Vancouver today in the hopes of NFL spiking already significant interest in him.

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    don't see Herdman drawing high 1st round interest. maybe draw interest in 2nd round/late 1st for teams that still use a cdn LB.

LB (like Tackle) is going American around the league

Key reasons are:
    - injury replacement (easy to replace with a "comparable" US Player)
    - teams are going 10-12 americans on defence now.
    - cap related: why spend $200-$250k on a starting cdn LB, when you can have a starting/rotational DT for 140k, 4th & 5th WR for 100k. BC is even looking at going with cdn field corners for 75-100k.

These are the same reasons for the death of the cdn tackle position.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I believe Forde's articles will appear closer to the draft.