Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    That wasn't Dunk, but rather John Hodge - one of the regular contributors on that site.

Some of his picks make good sense, but others are kinda nonsense IMO - but it's the CFL draft we're talking here and all sorts of bizzarre or whacky stuff happens there.

Bummers are super well positioned this draft: I could see them going with a top DT prospect like Luke 1st overall maybe, but at # 6 they should still be able to get one of the blue-chip MLB prospects (either Jerome Herdman or Mulumba-T (Maine) - to address a big hole at MLB ther). Luke in the mix at DT along with vet Jake Thomas and last year's pick Rupert Butcher should allow them to rotate those guys on the D-line for at least one Canadian at DT; they already have Westerman (backed by Corney) at one NI DE spot; Loffler at safety; and a NI starting MLB (between the draft pick or Thomas Miles or several other Canadian LBs on their roster) = they could easily roll with 4 or even 5 NI starters on D = probably not going to happen though. ;o)

Highly doubt the Riders will use 2nd overall on Mason Woods - who is massive and has significant NCAA Div I starting experience at guard - but he is not going to be a CFL OT and the Riders already have plenty of NIs to compete at interior O-line. Ego-Jones should pick a DT to go with Gaydosh = he probably won't - makes too much sense. ;o)

Vandervoort - local guy and seeming great receiver prospect to the Ticats - with Fantuz injured and aging = makes too much sense = probably won't happen. ;o)

Wally and BC have real good draft position too with #s 3, 7 & 16 - but i have no clue what Squinty will be thinking there - maybe some more NI O-line and receiver depth when he could be going for DT & DE players where they have need and where there are good crops = makes too much sense. ;o)

Argos take Boateng? - maybe, makes some sense as they need NI D talent and particularly on the D-line i guess with Foley gone, but rather see them go DT - a guy who could platoon with Waud at a starting DT spot (Ekakitie or Vaughn or Narkaj); no way in hell a rookie Canadian DE out of CIS ball plays much right away with Jimmy P & Chamblin there. Too much sense to go with needed Canadian talent on D = probably use the 1st pick on a depth O-lineman or an H-back to replace Dupuis (Jimmy P used 11th overall last year to draft RB Wayne Moore out of Mac - guy will get zero shot to play tailback in the CFL and the Als barely use a fullback/H-back anyways - IMO a laughable to embarassing draft pick).

Who knows. Maybe the Professor and Jimmy P talk to Squinty, Ego or GOB and make a little trade? (; Have you ever written a cartoon series in your life?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Who knows. Maybe the Professor and Jimmy P talk to Squinty, Ego or GOB and make a little trade? (; Have you ever written a cartoon series in your life?

Maybe, but a) - the Argos would have to have something to offer one of those teams - who would that be?, and, b) who would Jimmy P & the Professor (Neal Peart is with the Argos now?) really value in this draft to want to trade and move up for ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I have noted with interest, your belief in Hoover as a prospect. Do you feet he is a iron-clad starter in the CFL? I read somewhere that some of the bird-dogs believe there are only two potential starting DB's in this class; Wright and Woodson. History tells us that, based on that, those two will be picked inside the first two rounds. Where do you estimate Hoover to fall? The way things are lining up, it looks like to me, the Argos will have a good shot at this guy in 3 and 4. However, I think I'd gamble a risk at Senior or Auclair to start the 3rd Round. Thoughts?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    I have noted with interest, your belief in Hoover as a prospect. Do you feet he is a iron-clad starter in the CFL? I read somewhere that some of the bird-dogs believe there are only two potential starting DB's in this class; Wright and Woodson. History tells us that, based on that, those two will be picked inside the first two rounds. Where do you estimate Hoover to fall? The way things are lining up, it looks like to me, the Argos will have a good shot at this guy in 3 and 4. However, I think I'd gamble a risk at Senior or Auclair to start the 3rd Round. Thoughts?
    I bet Hoover will move up quite a bit due to his very good set of testing #s (he also was a CIS INT leader in the past so that should have drawn some bird-dog attention , you would think ?) - not sure if he or either of Wright or Woodson will be at least 2nd rounders, but maybe ? All would be viewed as CFL safety prospects - Wright was a safety but in US ball where it is a different position; Woodson is a repeat CIS all-star D-half (and a Canadian hasn't regularly started at D-half in the CFL in something like 25 years now).

And I'd only draft Auclair, if he does not get some decent NFL interest, and only IF he would be viewed as a regular CFL receiver (huge target slotback) and not just a little used / hardly every touches the ball CFL H-back (though a guy with the size of him or Brian Jones should be able to do both - stay on the field at all times and keep defences guessing as to what they might do - pure slotback at times or fullback or TE look). So, with the Argos already having Jones on the roster, I really don't see much need for Auclair - unless it's for GOB "depth" thinking; no way they are going to entertain 2 twin tower big Canadian slotbacks starting in the same offence. The Argos once wasted an early draft pick on Luke Willson who has been an NFL TE with the Seahawks ever since - wonder what he would have done on a CFL/Argo offence if he had shown up ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Willson was a 5th round pick by the Argos. Hardly early.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Willson was a 5th round pick by the Argos. Hardly early.

Yeah - my bad; worth a gamble at that stage I guess.

Woulda been real interesting to see where Willson would have fit in on a CFL offence; guy is huge and probably faster than a lot of CFL starting slotbacks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Marshall Ferguson argues that their are many striking similarities between DBs Tunde Adeleke and Jermaine Gabriel. With the loss of National depth on defence he would be a good draft pickup for the Argos.

For CFL.ca’s Marshall Ferguson, the plot sounds a little familiar: Adeleke’s path appears similar to that of current Toronto Argos starting safety Jermaine Gabriel.
    “Long, lean, raw athleticism,” Ferguson described the two defensive backs. “Both were in need of an opportunity. Gabriel found his in Toronto and ran with it. I think in five years we’ll be saying something similar about Adeleke.” ...

It was Adeleke’s bench press performance of 16 reps that made a difference for Ferguson. While Adeleke’s always been a gifted athlete, CFL.ca’s draft analyst needed to see that the long, lanky defensive back has the physicality needed to play at the next level.
    “I just didn’t expect him to have that kind of strength based on his length, and when you watch him in-game as a returned kicks he has such long strides that he make you think that he’s just a sprinter,” said Ferguson.
    “You almost want to put him in that box of ‘skinny guy that’s out-running everybody but is scared to get hit’ — but he’s not,” he added. “He’s physical and he’s long and lanky.
    “I would put him right there with Dondre Weight in terms of physicality after watching the bench press.”
    Adeleke, of course, still has lots to prove at the next level. But it starts with an opportunity, and all that’s left now is to wait.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't know about Adeleke being long and lanky unless one is taking in the 3 or 4 inches of hair standing up. But at 5' 9 3/4" and 190 he is similar to Gabriel size wise. Wright is 1/2 inch taller and ten pounds heavier. Adeleke out bench pressed him 16 to 11 but IMO the bench press isn't as important for a DB as a lineman or linebacker. I would take him in the third round. With the increase of more talented players coming out now the top four rounds seem to have players capable of coming in a making the club. I haven't seen the latest top twenty rated players since the combine, so where is Adeleke rated now?

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    The final rankings won't be out for a couple of weeks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Adelke was a corner or D-half in CIS ball, but his main strength there was as a dangerous punt returner (8 punt return TDs over the past 2 seasons = off the charts outstanding); he's made the OUA 2nd team all-star once a corner and once as a D-half. Maybe a good CFL safety prospect with his speed, but he'd have a lot of learning to do. More of a long-shot project as a safety, but maybe a CFL team might give him a real look as a returner? Ferguson's draft comments are often way out to lunch IMO - as far as long & lanky ??? Adelke was also measured at just 5-6 at the CIS East West Combine last spring - a good number of height discrepancies between players at that camp and the recent CFL Combine - so either some typos or somebody is plain wrong with their measurements (DE prospect Evan Foster measured 6-3 at the CIS event but is now under 6' according to the CFL Combine ?)
    Last edited by OV Argo; 04-09-2017 at 11:28 PM.