Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    OL Jean-Simon Roy from Laval clearly won the bench press at the National Combine finishing with 39 reps, five ahead of second place OL Samuel Narkaj of Concordia and eight ahead of third place OL Qadr Spooner of McGill.

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2017/...nch-39-reps-2/

Narkaj is actually a DT - not O-line like that list says.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    OL Jean-Simon Roy from Laval clearly won the bench press at the National Combine finishing with 39 reps, five ahead of second place OL Samuel Narkaj of Concordia and eight ahead of third place OL Qadr Spooner of McGill.

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2017/...nch-39-reps-2/
    I have no idea who Popp may pick at #10 this year. No real urgent need IMO. Depending on how much NFL interest there is in the six guys that didn't show for the CFL combine, maybe he takes a flyer on Justin Senior or Eli Ankou if they are still available. After watching the one on ones Saturday my top picks if available would be OL Quad Spooner 6' 3 1/2" 310, DL Kay Okafor 6'3" 280, WR Daniel Vandervoorst 6'1" 203, DB Dondre Wright 5'10 1/4" 200 and maybe Kwaku Boateng 6' 1/2" 230 as a RE/LBer.
    If all those guys are all gone by #10 then I would draft one of the NFL bound guys and wait for them. They should still be able to get a good depth type player at #19.

Maybe Barker had this year's draft crop pretty well figured out and saw that the #10 pick would still be a very good player and not much difference in talent from the top picks. However, he still over paid for a player of Willy's talent IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Carter seems like an intriguing prospect - due to 6-6 size and some excellent testing #s'; BUT - pretty unproven in college ball (didnt' do much with the Ravens and ended up in Junior ball last year); as opposed to Levi Noel who was a top stat CIS receiver before finishing in Junior ball.

IMO - Argos should not use any of their early picks on a receiver with Jones & Noel (plus Coombs) already in the fold; unless there is open competition in TC, with NIs open to compete for all jobs in the 5 pack.
    That is my line of thinking too. Let's not forget that the Argos have another young Canadian receiver in Malcolm Williams who they like. He spent the entire 2016 season on the PR. He is 6'3" and 221 lbs.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Thing about this draft, IMO, is there seems to be quite a bit of decent depth at a bunch of position groups - as opposed to just one or two top notch, blue-chip type prospects who scream 1st rounder or "best available player" (whatever the f*** that means to the scouting experts ?).

SO, the Argos should be able to address a few position groups with their 1st few picks, even in lacking the 1st rounder. I think they for example could get a good DT at #10, followed by another good prospect at #19 (one of the good DEs or there's some good safety prospects or a linebacker - where they have little now), No real need IMO to go O-line or receiver with early picks IMO, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jimmy P follow thru on standard GOB practice there anyways. ;o) He has me worried with his recent Als draft thinking - a couple of top notch CIS defensive players (Andrew Lue & Chris Ackie) who got zero chance to play / help in an often weak Als secondary; and last year used the 11th overall pick on RB Wayne Moore - a guy who would get zero shot to play the position in the CFL but be thought of as a little used H-back in their offence ? - total joke of a pick IMO. You pre-conceive depth or back-up or special teamer with your draft "thinking" and that's likely best you are going to get; as opposed to going after players who can compete for playing time in areas of need, and right away.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 03-26-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I have no idea who Popp may pick at #10 this year. No real urgent need IMO. Depending on how much NFL interest there is in the six guys that didn't show for the CFL combine, maybe he takes a flyer on Justin Senior or Eli Ankou if they are still available. After watching the one on ones Saturday my top picks if available would be OL Quad Spooner 6' 3 1/2" 310, DL Kay Okafor 6'3" 280, WR Daniel Vandervoorst 6'1" 203, DB Dondre Wright 5'10 1/4" 200 and maybe Kwaku Boateng 6' 1/2" 230 as a RE/LBer.
    If all those guys are all gone by #10 then I would draft one of the NFL bound guys and wait for them. They should still be able to get a good depth type player at #19.

Maybe Barker had this year's draft crop pretty well figured out and saw that the #10 pick would still be a very good player and not much difference in talent from the top picks. However, he still over paid for a player of Willy's talent IMO.
    I think we are really thin at Canadian linebacker and Canadian Defensive Lineman areas. These need to be addressed. Good thing is there certainly seems to be a good supply of players that Popp can draft. For sure the #10 pick should be able to contribute immediately.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Interesting and overall, astute comments by previous posters. IMO if Luke is available at the 10th pick, it might be wise for the Argos to draft him. For the 3rd pick on, I'd like to out on a limb and recommend the following less likely choices, who might be available in later rounds:
    . Hoover-good size (over 6'/194), fast, quick and explosive and plays very aggressively-could be groomed for free safety or even LB-a hidden gem
    . Augustine- impressive in one on ones, he was the find on the combine, could develop into a Durie type back, destroyed LB's in one on ones.
    . McGough-very fast and quick for his size (6'0.6"/247), he could be rush end or even MLB if given time, could surprise if chosen
    . Herdman (Jordan)- ok, combine and pro day result somewhat dismal but hard to overlook college career and Sr Bowl performances.
    . Schram-unheralded going into combine and combine results quite average but best OL'man in one on ones by fair distance--worth a gamble
    . Carter-6'6"and 192, quick and explosive, a raw talent that would be hard to pass by in later rounds--could be this year's sleeper
    Not seeing combine live, as have done previous years, in was necessary to look at stats, listen/watch various "experts" give their opinions and gain what one could from the broadcast. The above are my impressions of some players who may be in later rounds and worth a gamble.
    Look forward to reactions and comments.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Interesting and overall, astute comments by previous posters. IMO if Luke is available at the 10th pick, it might be wise for the Argos to draft him. For the 3rd pick on, I'd like to out on a limb and recommend the following less likely choices, who might be available in later rounds:
    . Hoover-good size (over 6'/194), fast, quick and explosive and plays very aggressively-could be groomed for free safety or even LB-a hidden gem
    . Augustine- impressive in one on ones, he was the find on the combine, could develop into a Durie type back, destroyed LB's in one on ones.
    . McGough-very fast and quick for his size (6'0.6"/247), he could be rush end or even MLB if given time, could surprise if chosen
    . Herdman (Jordan)- ok, combine and pro day result somewhat dismal but hard to overlook college career and Sr Bowl performances.
    . Schram-unheralded going into combine and combine results quite average but best OL'man in one on ones by fair distance--worth a gamble
    . Carter-6'6"and 192, quick and explosive, a raw talent that would be hard to pass by in later rounds--could be this year's sleeper
    Not seeing combine live, as have done previous years, in was necessary to look at stats, listen/watch various "experts" give their opinions and gain what one could from the broadcast. The above are my impressions of some players who may be in later rounds and worth a gamble.
    Look forward to reactions and comments.
    I mentioned Hoover before - as a sort of sleeper pick that could be had in the later rounds ; but he basically had the best overall set of testing #s of the whole Combine = bet he shoots up to a 3rd or even 2nd round pick now ?

Love to see the Argos get a DT with their first pick (a guy who could play right away in a platoon with Waud at one DT spot) and then maybe be able to get one of McGough or Foster with their 2nd pick - athletic DEs who could maybe learn lots from Foley (if he is still around?) and maybe be able to play some reps on D as rookies.

Jimmy P liked picking a lot of O-linemen with the Als when they played 5 - good idea to have guys in the pipeline; but the Argos already have a number of vet NI O-linemen, plus Sackey & Campbell from last year's draft; any room for more NI O-linemen ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I mentioned Hoover before - as a sort of sleeper pick that could be had in the later rounds ; but he basically had the best overall set of testing #s of the whole Combine = bet he shoots up to a 3rd or even 2nd round pick now ?

Love to see the Argos get a DT with their first pick (a guy who could play right away in a platoon with Waud at one DT spot) and then maybe be able to get one of McGough or Foster with their 2nd pick - athletic DEs who could maybe learn lots from Foley (if he is still around?) and maybe be able to play some reps on D as rookies.

Jimmy P liked picking a lot of O-linemen with the Als when they played 5 - good idea to have guys in the pipeline; but the Argos already have a number of vet NI O-linemen, plus Sackey & Campbell from last year's draft; any room for more NI O-linemen ?
    Argos could use some depth at the safety position with Gabriel coming off concussion issues and Black getting up there age wise. Maybe Dondre Wright if he's still there at #10. DT could be a need for sure, but Cleyon Laing is still out there waiting to see what happens in the NFL after their draft. Popp just might decide to take the best player available as Wally and Obie always say "better is better". Trouble is, who Jimmy Popp thinks is better and who we think is better is always up for discussion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Argos could use some depth at the safety position with Gabriel coming off concussion issues and Black getting up there age wise. Maybe Dondre Wright if he's still there at #10. DT could be a need for sure, but Cleyon Laing is still out there waiting to see what happens in the NFL after their draft. Popp just might decide to take the best player available as Wally and Obie always say "better is better". Trouble is, who Jimmy Popp thinks is better and who we think is better is always up for discussion.

Wright might be a very good safety prospect; but unless he is viewed as ready to challenge for the starter job there and beat out Gabriel, I'd rather see the 1st pick (#10) used on a position of big need where a guy is a serious challenge to earn playing time - like DT for this season (though having an inside track on getting Cleyon Laing back in double blue would be nice and cancel using first pick on a DT maybe).

And the Argos have little in terms of NI linebackers now with Greenwood & Miles gone; Newton / is Yurichuck coming back? Some good LBs this draft; but they could also wait till Bombers TC cuts - they have way more Canadian LBs (all with pretty good resumes) than they can possibly carry.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    And the Argos have little in terms of NI linebackers now with Greenwood & Miles gone; Newton / is Yurichuck coming back? Some good LBs this draft; but they could also wait till Bombers TC cuts - they have way more Canadian LBs (all with pretty good resumes) than they can possibly carry.
    Winnipeg has eight on the roster, by my count. One is Rempel who is really just a long snapper, so that gets them down to seven. I could easily see them keeping five in these days of expanded rosters and injury lists. So the question is, are their 6th- and 7th-best guys worth the gamble of not adding to our own depth through some other means? I don't know much about any of them other than Miles and Hurl.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Winnipeg has eight on the roster, by my count. One is Rempel who is really just a long snapper, so that gets them down to seven. I could easily see them keeping five in these days of expanded rosters and injury lists. So the question is, are their 6th- and 7th-best guys worth the gamble of not adding to our own depth through some other means? I don't know much about any of them other than Miles and Hurl.

I just noticed the Bombers have Akheem Wonder on their roster listed as a LB too - wasn't including him as a good LB type who might shake free there - he's done little, bouncing around some CFL camps (including the Argos?).

Looking at the rest of their LBs: Hurl is a vet and started at MLB for them 2 seasons back (average at best IMO); have to think they like Thomas Miles if they added him as a FA and he has demonstrated he can play D in the CFL with the Argos; other younger LBs - former draft pick Jesse Briggs who has played 3 seasons for them - just a ST guy so far though; last year's 4th rounder Shayne Gauthier - former CIS all-star and athletic Combine tester - had 7 ST tackles for them as a rookie; they also last year used a late round pick on Frank Renaud - OUA all-star LB out of Windsor who returned for a final year of college ball there last season; and they signed as a FA last year - John Rush - former CIS D player of the year out of O'Shea's old college team Guelph.

IMO it would be smart or make sense for the Bombers to use one of their top picks this year (they have # 1, 6 & 15) on one of the blue-chip MLB prospects up (Herdman or Mulumba-T (Maine) - the latter bigger, plus better testing #s than Herdman) - and have a wide-open competition for the vacant MLB job there - including Rush or Gauthier. We shall see about that; Bomber fan "ratio problem thinking" commentators I have heard from do not seem to mention a Canadian starting at MLB for them as a possibility; but they lost last year's starter there (Bass) as a FA to Ottawa and I don't exactly see any import with strong MLB resume types on their roster now.

IF one of Briggs, Gauthier or Rush or Renaud get cut (one or two of them pretty well have to be IMO unless they are stashed on IR?) - they might be better LB gets than the Argos could add via mid to later rounds this draft, and they all come with some CFL experience. The Bombers might even cut Hurl to save $M$ if he has a bigger salary as a former starter ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    IF one of Briggs, Gauthier or Rush or Renaud get cut (one or two of them pretty well have to be IMO unless they are stashed on IR?) - they might be better LB gets than the Argos could add via mid to later rounds this draft, and they all come with some CFL experience.
    I disagree they will have to cut one or two. Teams are keeping about 66 players these days between the 46, the IR and the PR. I think Whonder will probably get cut, but after that it's entirely possible they'll keep 'em all around.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    It seems likely that we don't plan to start a NAT at LB this year. We need a couple of candidates on the roster anyway, because a) we don't want to have to start from scratch if we decide to go that direction in the future and b) these guys tend to be good special-teamers. But it would be poor resource allocation to use one of our top picks at this position, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I disagree they will have to cut one or two. Teams are keeping about 66 players these days between the 46, the IR and the PR. I think Whonder will probably get cut, but after that it's entirely possible they'll keep 'em all around.
    Maybe - but i'd take a bet there; and especially if they draft one of the top MLB prospects.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In the video below, Wally Buono and Neil McEvoy of the Lions discuss what they were looking for in the Combine.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Hamilton GM Eric Tillman emphasizes that "the ability to play outweighs combine numbers".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Justin Dunk and Drew Edwards rank the OL vs DL one-on-ones at the Combine below.

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/29/ra...bine-ol-vs-dl/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Justine Dunk's top five ranking (with comments at the url below) for the CFL National Combine: (1) WR Danny Vandevoort; (2) RB Johnny Augustine; (3) DL Junior Luke (4) OL Braden Schram; and (5) DB Nate Hamlin.

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/26/to...e-cfl-combine/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Justin Dunk's Post Combine Mock Draft:

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/29/po...fl-mock-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Justin Dunk's Post Combine Mock Draft:

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/29/po...fl-mock-draft/

That wasn't Dunk, but rather John Hodge - one of the regular contributors on that site.

Some of his picks make good sense, but others are kinda nonsense IMO - but it's the CFL draft we're talking here and all sorts of bizzarre or whacky stuff happens there.

Bummers are super well positioned this draft: I could see them going with a top DT prospect like Luke 1st overall maybe, but at # 6 they should still be able to get one of the blue-chip MLB prospects (either Jerome Herdman or Mulumba-T (Maine) - to address a big hole at MLB ther). Luke in the mix at DT along with vet Jake Thomas and last year's pick Rupert Butcher should allow them to rotate those guys on the D-line for at least one Canadian at DT; they already have Westerman (backed by Corney) at one NI DE spot; Loffler at safety; and a NI starting MLB (between the draft pick or Thomas Miles or several other Canadian LBs on their roster) = they could easily roll with 4 or even 5 NI starters on D = probably not going to happen though. ;o)

Highly doubt the Riders will use 2nd overall on Mason Woods - who is massive and has significant NCAA Div I starting experience at guard - but he is not going to be a CFL OT and the Riders already have plenty of NIs to compete at interior O-line. Ego-Jones should pick a DT to go with Gaydosh = he probably won't - makes too much sense. ;o)

Vandervoort - local guy and seeming great receiver prospect to the Ticats - with Fantuz injured and aging = makes too much sense = probably won't happen. ;o)

Wally and BC have real good draft position too with #s 3, 7 & 16 - but i have no clue what Squinty will be thinking there - maybe some more NI O-line and receiver depth when he could be going for DT & DE players where they have need and where there are good crops = makes too much sense. ;o)

Argos take Boateng? - maybe, makes some sense as they need NI D talent and particularly on the D-line i guess with Foley gone, but rather see them go DT - a guy who could platoon with Waud at a starting DT spot (Ekakitie or Vaughn or Narkaj); no way in hell a rookie Canadian DE out of CIS ball plays much right away with Jimmy P & Chamblin there. Too much sense to go with needed Canadian talent on D = probably use the 1st pick on a depth O-lineman or an H-back to replace Dupuis (Jimmy P used 11th overall last year to draft RB Wayne Moore out of Mac - guy will get zero shot to play tailback in the CFL and the Als barely use a fullback/H-back anyways - IMO a laughable to embarassing draft pick).