Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    Hopefully the current assistant GM (Zimmerman) can be convinced to remain as well... to look after all of the details of front office work.
    Young Zimmerman has done an admirable job under tough circumstances IMO.

I know that Popp and Trestman will be hired a bit later than any of us would have desired but "better late than never"!
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Young Zimmerman has done an admirable job under tough circumstances IMO.

I know that Popp and Trestman will be hired a bit later than any of us would have desired but "better late than never"!
    Baptism by fire for Zimmerman, acquitted himself quite nicely IMO.
    Missing out on some bigger free agents more of a reflection on Copeland than him.
    Hopefully he stick around in Toronto and continue to learn and develop as a possible future GM.
    Last edited by Argo57; 02-25-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    Hopefully the current assistant GM (Zimmerman) can be convinced to remain as well... to look after all of the details of front office work.
    Didn't Popp have a guy named Joey Abrams as his assistant in Montreal. GM's always like haven't people around they know and trust, so I wonder how that is going to play out. Also I presume all the 2016 assistants contracts were up in January and have been in limbo except maybe Stubler, who has a 2 year deal. Condell hired before the Head Coach is as a possible OC, but Trestman generally is his own OC. Last year's OC Brady worked for Trestman before so maybe he stays as QB Coach.
    Copeland supposedly made a lot of visits to other PRO Teams to learn the business, but I think most of us could have told him this past few months was not how to run the business. lol But hopefully now once the "professionals" are in charge things can start sounding and looking like a Pro Football Team and lets get it started.
    Last edited by doubleblue; 02-26-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Didn't Popp have a guy named Joey Abrams as his assistant in Montreal. GM's always like haven't people around they know and trust, so I wonder how that is going to play out. Also I presume all the 2016 assistants contracts were up in January and have been in limbo except maybe Stubler, who has a 2 year deal. Condell hired before the Head Coach is as a possible OC, but Trestman generally is his own OC. Last year's OC Brady worked for Trestman before so maybe he stays as QB Coach.
    Copeland supposedly made a lot of visits to other PRO Teams to learn the business, but I think most of us could have told him this past few months was not how to run the business. lol But hopefully now once the "professionals" are in charge things can start sounding and looking like a Pro Football Team and lets it get started.
    His whole staff quit without a job to go to.... They will likely all be joining him. Abrams and Casey for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    So......... I have been told from an extremely reliable source involved with the Argos, that Copeland has nothing to do with the Popp hiring. Bell and Tanenbaum wanted Trestman brought in from the get go, but Copeland wanted to find another way to bring Trestman in. When he couldn't deliver and wasted too much time in TanenBELL's eyes, Tanenbaum called Popp almost two weeks ago, after that conversation and then another in which Popp brought up that he had spoken to Trestman who is willing and interested in coming back to the CFL, Tanenbaum flew Popp to Toronto for some wining and dining and the Leafs game. Tanenbaum is now taking on a more hands on approach with the Argos - I don't know what that means for Copeland.

Deal should be announced this week. My guess based on the conversation I had, would be either Thursday or Friday (will avoid NHL trade deadline on Wednesday).
    Last edited by R.J; 02-26-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    So......... I have been told from an extremely reliable source involved with the Argos, that Copeland has nothing to do with the Popp hiring. Bell and Tanenbaum wanted Trestman brought in from the get go, but Copeland wanted to find another way to bring Trestman in. Then would he couldn't do it and wasted too much time in TanenBELL's eyes, Tanenbaum called Popp almost two weeks ago, after that conversation and then another in which Popp brought up that he had spoken to Trestman who is willing and interested in coming back to the CFL, Tanenbaum then flew Popp to Toronto for some wining and dining and the Leafs game. Tanenbaum is now taking on a more hands on approach with the Argos - I don't know what that means for Copeland.

Deal should be announced this week. My guess based on the conversation I had, would be either Thursday or Friday (will avoid NHL trade deadline on Wednesday).
    This pretty much lines up with Sportsnet's story. March 1st (Wed) is the date they give.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    So......... I have been told from an extremely reliable source involved with the Argos, that Copeland has nothing to do with the Popp hiring. Bell and Tanenbaum wanted Trestman brought in from the get go, but Copeland wanted to find another way to bring Trestman in. Then would he couldn't do it and wasted too much time in TanenBELL's eyes, Tanenbaum called Popp almost two weeks ago, after that conversation and then another in which Popp brought up that he had spoken to Trestman who is willing and interested in coming back to the CFL, Tanenbaum then flew Popp to Toronto for some wining and dining and the Leafs game. Tanenbaum is now taking on a more hands on approach with the Argos - I don't know what that means for Copeland.

At least we know that ownership gives a shit.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    At least we know that ownership gives a shit.
    I know Tanenbaum does. Bell (the company) and their shareholders: who knows.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Screw delaying the announcement. NHL trade deadline is vastly over rated not to mention drawn out drivel involving spare parts being traded. Let's hear some real Canadian sports news.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Screw delaying the announcement. NHL trade deadline is vastly over rated not to mention drawn out drivel involving spare parts being traded. Let's hear some real Canadian sports news.
    Doesn't matter, we don't need to share the spotlight again like when Babcock was hired.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I read on twitter Tuesday would be the day it's announced. Before or after, what is worse? Not really sure. NHL trade deadline day isn't what it used to be. I would say though, it's better to go first. If there is a huge trade you had 1 day of spotlight. If there isn't you have more time. You have no control on the day after if some huge trade happens to take place.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Popp to the Argos is a done deal, and it sounds as though Trestman is coming for sure as well, but I didn't hear confirmation that he's signed. Trestman also has 2-3 coaches that have already agreed to come with him to Toronto (no mention if they've signed deals yet or what title they'll have and positions they'll coach). The hold up from my understanding is Trestman's Coaching staff - they don't necessarily all need to be signed right now, but Trestman and Tanenbaum want to know who's coming for sure and who the back up plans would be should anyone decline the offers.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    This pretty much lines up with Sportsnet's story. March 1st (Wed) is the date they give.
    I thought Arash was guessing Tuesday?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Popp to the Argos is a done deal, and it sounds as though Trestman is coming for sure as well, but I didn't hear confirmation that he's signed. Trestman also has 2-3 coaches that have already agreed to come with him to Toronto (no mention if they've signed deals yet or what title they'll have and positions they'll coach). The hold up from my understanding is Trestman's Coaching staff - they don't necessarily all need to be signed right now, but Trestman and Tanenbaum want to know who's coming for sure and who the back up plans would be should anyone decline the offers.
    They just need to get it done... The waiting is agonizing.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    They just need to get it done... The waiting is agonizing.
    Yes, and I am sure there's a place in all of our brains where we wonder if Copeland is still around in the background bungling this whole deal.

On the other hand, it would seem feasible that Larry Tanenbaum realizes that Argo fans (and CFL fans en masse) need to be placated with something firm, strong and resolute. We've gone this long right?

The extra time could also be necessary if Copeland is getting turfed. I hope we see a new Biz VP or Prez introduced alongside Popp and Trestman.

Right now, fresh is best, and that will be reflected (I am sure) in a bump in season ticket sales. Hoping anyway.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Furthermore, one really has to wonder why Copeland couldn't have been covertly courting the two NFL guys he reportedly made offers to all the while? Can this guy not do two things at once?

Most CEO's would have had contingency plans in play, and I suggest that it's never too early for that, especially when it becomes obvious and a team wins only 15 games in 36 chances (42%) in two seasons. Clearly stale. It happens.

Maybe Milanovich even stays after he meets his new GM? Not that that is necessarily optimal.

Did Barker tell him to go F himself or something? Cos I can think of no other reason why you don't accomplish the first box, before you check off the 2nd box. Really no reason to make yourself look so unprepared and incompetent.

Even most incompetent people get this. (;

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Furthermore, one really has to wonder why Copeland couldn't have been covertly courting the two NFL guys he reportedly made offers to all the while? Can this guy not do two things at once?

Most CEO's would have had contingency plans in play, and I suggest that it's never too early for that, especially when it becomes obvious and a team wins only 15 games in 36 chances (42%) in two seasons. Clearly stale. It happens.

Maybe Milanovich even stays after he meets his new GM? Not that that is necessarily optimal.

Did Barker tell him to go F himself or something? Cos I can think of no other reason why you don't accomplish the first box, before you check off the 2nd box. Really no reason to make yourself look so unprepared and incompetent.

Even most incompetent people get this. (;
    There has to be more to the whole story, has to be. We may never find out, but as almost everyone has remarked, the way it has unfolded doesn't make any sense. In my business, I have seen this scenario quite frequently. A Manager is put in charge and presents himself to the public, clients and contacts as so, answering for and explaining his decisions. When things are falling apart and every single person around the business is questioning the direction their heading, the owner takes matters into their own hands, solves the issues for the immediate time being and that Manager is gone, never to be heard of. If what we are being presented is true, Copeland is toast.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Lawless, Naylor and Dunk have been all over this story all along, Captain Obvious (Madani) swoops in near the end and makes like he's in the know.
    Complete joker!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    He did.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...tman-jim-popp/

New Fan
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    So......... I have been told from an extremely reliable source involved with the Argos, that Copeland has nothing to do with the Popp hiring. Bell and Tanenbaum wanted Trestman brought in from the get go, but Copeland wanted to find another way to bring Trestman in. When he couldn't deliver and wasted too much time in TanenBELL's eyes, Tanenbaum called Popp almost two weeks ago, after that conversation and then another in which Popp brought up that he had spoken to Trestman who is willing and interested in coming back to the CFL, Tanenbaum flew Popp to Toronto for some wining and dining and the Leafs game. Tanenbaum is now taking on a more hands on approach with the Argos - I don't know what that means for Copeland.

This sounds promising. Great that I stumbled across a site that has some inside info......AWESOME