Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Or that just because SM couldn't make it work effectively past 2013 doesn't mean that Trestman won't be able to do so himself.
    SM's mistake wasn't the offence he developed but assuming that initial success (after all he won a Grey Cup with a pretty potent offence meant he could continue indefinitely with the same approach as the opposition adapts to it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I'd rather not see either Cato or Adams in double blue, and I would hope Popp would let Trestman decide on the QB's. I also hope that Trestman if he comes in, quickly gives the boot to Willy and Matthews. I have no issue with Ray sticking around as a back-up, but if he sees the field then IMO the Argos are in big trouble.
    I feel as though Trestman would get the most out of both Ray and Willy. I have no issues with either Adams or Cato though. I have not been a big fan of Mathews but am willing to give him another chance.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Frank Z's vies on the situation:

Nothing is official until all the necessary paper work gets completed, but there’s a growing sense around the CFL that the Argos have finally and painstakingly put their football house in order.
    The timing, the optics, the perception, the casualties may all be set aside if the rumoured speculation involving a reunion between Jim Popp and Marc Trestman becomes reality, a scenario many believe will play out as early as next week.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/22...house-in-order

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I feel as though Trestman would get the most out of both Ray and Willy. I have no issues with either Adams or Cato though. I have not been a big fan of Mathews but am willing to give him another chance.
    Trestman knows QBs and passing offence; would boggle my mind if he did not go with Ray as the starter (barring that Ray is really damaged goods in his passing arm); Trestman gots lots out of vet QB Calvillo with the Als, and Ray is simply a better QB than Calvillo - hands down / no contest IMO and I get that Calvillo has all-time passing records.

Back-up QB could be a battle between the likes of Willy, Matthews ( a stiff IMO) Fajardo or some new get like Cato (I like him) or even Adams; the number 2 there should see the field little if Ray is healthy and has a decent O-line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    It is also possible that Trestman the QB Guru has been working with some free agent QBs and he wants to bring one with him up to the Argonauts. I say there is no way either Ray or Willy starts for the Argos this season, Ray is finished and Willy has the stench of 2016 all over him. You gotta believe management wants a new and exciting name at QB to generate interest, and Popp is just the guy to find one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It is also possible that Trestman the QB Guru has been working with some free agent QBs and he wants to bring one with him up to the Argonauts. I say there is no way either Ray or Willy starts for the Argos this season, Ray is finished and Willy has the stench of 2016 all over him. You gotta believe management wants a new and exciting name at QB to generate interest, and Popp is just the guy to find one.
    I disagree. I see that the chance for Ricky to remain an Argo has only increased with the expected arrival of Popp and Trestman. We'll see a quick release/west coast offense with good inside possession receivers and outside guys that can get up and grab the ball on the sidelines.
    I think you'll also see the addition and deletion of one other QB.
    Only spit-balling here but I think if he's offered a shot as a playing/QB Coach that the Argos could keep his contract mutually beneficial. I am sure Ricky, who wants to get into coaching, would love nothing more than to learn under Condell and Trestman.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If this deal goes through (and until it does I am not counting on it), I fully expect Ray to be the starting QB, unless he has a debilitating injury. Trestman had five years of success with an older, experienced and smart QB -- someone a lot like Ricky. Willy survives long enough to see if Ricky is healthy out of camp, IMO, and could still end up as an experienced No. 2 (or No. 1 if Ricky is injured). I don't think think Kilgore is out of the picture as No. 2. Fajardo has considerable potential; the question is whether he can adapt his style to a Trestman system. Mathews seems like a huge longshot to stick on the roster but could be kept as a No. 4.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If this deal goes through (and until it does I am not counting on it), I fully expect Ray to be the starting QB, unless he has a debilitating injury. Trestman had five years of success with an older, experienced and smart QB -- someone a lot like Ricky. Willy survives long enough to see if Ricky is healthy out of camp, IMO, and could still end up as an experienced No. 2 (or No. 1 if Ricky is injured). I don't think think Kilgore is out of the picture as No. 2. Fajardo has considerable potential; the question is whether he can adapt his style to a Trestman system. Mathews seems like a huge longshot to stick on the roster but could be kept as a No. 4.
    Too bad you know two passed on Brandon Bridge when he was available, IIRC, for nothing or close to it.

Regardless of the Argos catatonia for these past months - at this point Popp and Trestman take on "added lustre" - I am happy that Milanovich and Barker are gone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I have next to no interest in Bridge. I just don't see him developing into a viable QB in this league. Happy (for nationalistic reasons) to be proven wrong, but I'm not expecting that to happen.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Trestman not only stuck with Calvillo for five years, which was the obvious and correct thing to do, he showed little interest in developing a backup, by playing Calvillo until the end of the game nearly always, even in blowouts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Too bad you know two passed on Brandon Bridge when he was available, IIRC, for nothing or close to it.

Regardless of the Argos catatonia for these past months - at this point Popp and Trestman take on "added lustre" - I am happy that Milanovich and Barker are gone.

The 2 dorks who saw Drew frickin' Willy as a prize QB acquisition and gave away lots for him would have no interest in Bridge - who might develop into a good QB just based on superb arm strength, plus size/mobility; he would need some playing time/patience to develop and the right style of offence (designed QB roll-outs and scramble/improv stuff +let him throw vertical/lots of bombs), IMO. Not sure Bridge would ever become a solid QB in standard, same-old, basic look CFL offence of today - the one that ego-Jones has Kevin Glenn ready to be his starter in - LOL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The 2 dorks who saw Drew frickin' Willy as a prize QB acquisition and gave away lots for him would have no interest in Bridge - who might develop into a good QB just based on superb arm strength, plus size/mobility; he would need some playing time/patience to develop and the right style of offence (designed QB roll-outs and scramble/improv stuff +let him throw vertical/lots of bombs), IMO. Not sure Bridge would ever become a solid QB in standard, same-old, basic look CFL offence of today - the one that ego-Jones has Kevin Glenn ready to be his starter in - LOL.
    I don't know if Bridge will develop into a decent QB or not, but Trevor Harris spent 3 years developing as a backup and Danny Barrett spent four years as a CFL backup developing. After two years developing as a backup, Darian Durant still had to learn a lot when he became a starter. Bridge has some of the skills needed to become a CFL starter. Whether he does depends on whether he gets the opportunity and whether he focuses his effort on learning not only during a game and in practice, but while sitting on the bench. When Jeff Garcia arrived in the CFL, he was quite far from in development in terms of being a starter. However, he focused like a laser beam on improving and the results speak for themselves.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Have been told it's Popp/Trestman. I consider the person who told me that to be very reliable.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Hopefully Popp has learned from his last few years in Montreal and doesn't repeat those mistakes, teaming up with Trestman should help.
    At the very least the Argonauts finally have some direction, Popp and Trestman have had success in the CFL so this seems preferable to starting from scratch with some NFL reject.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    At the very least the Argonauts finally have some direction, Popp and Trestman have had success in the CFL so this seems preferable to starting from scratch with some NFL reject.
    True. Copeland did not even bother to interview a couple of (or, indeed, any) current CFLer(s) considered by many to be ready to become GM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    True. Copeland did not even bother to interview a couple of (or, indeed, any) current CFLer(s) considered by many to be ready to become GM.
    Copeland could not interview any current CFL people who were ready to become GM,s because he waited far too long to fire Jim Barker.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Hopefully Popp has learned from his last few years in Montreal and doesn't repeat those mistakes, teaming up with Trestman should help.
    Funny thing is I can just imagine all the NFL snobs laughing at the Argos if they hire Trestman. They will only be aware of his 14-19 record as HC of the Chicago Bears and then his departure from the Baltimore Ravens. As an Argo fan I could not be happier.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Agreed on all points.

I'm slowly coming around to the idea of Popp taking over here as the Pres of Football Operations and GM. I'm actually a lot more comfortable with Popp being here than Trestman, as I really don't want to see the POS checkdown offence anymore, and Marcus Brady is a Trestman guy, which could mean that he's sticking around, and that is not sitting well with me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Agreed on all points.

I'm slowly coming around to the idea of Popp taking over here as the Pres of Football Operations and GM. I'm actually a lot more comfortable with Popp being here than Trestman, as I really don't want to see the POS checkdown offence anymore, and Marcus Brady is a Trestman guy, which could mean that he's sticking around, and that is not sitting well with me.
    Perhaps Trestman will freshen the playbook up, I also hope the Argos utilize Tommy Condell's talents (perhaps OC and Assistant HC).
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions