Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipyard View Post
    most teams now are going to import tackles due to ease of injury replacement, and cap space (cdn T cost 250k, while a 2nd cdn receiver might be 100k; cdn DT might be 140k as your 7th cdn starter)
    I've been on board with this type of thinking for a while. A lot of good skilled position Canadian players out there.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I've been on board with this type of thinking for a while. A lot of good skilled position Canadian players out there.
    I agree, but haven't seen any evidence that Popp buys into this. He's long been a proponent of loading up the o-line with NATs.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Copeland will announce the hiring of Popp on NHL trade deadline day. Then announce Trestman on NBA trade deadline day. Opportunities always missed
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    copeland will announce the hiring of popp on nhl trade deadline day. Then announce trestman on nba trade deadline day. Opportunities always missed
    lmfao!!
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Frank Z's vies on the situation:

Nothing is official until all the necessary paper work gets completed, but there’s a growing sense around the CFL that the Argos have finally and painstakingly put their football house in order.
    The timing, the optics, the perception, the casualties may all be set aside if the rumoured speculation involving a reunion between Jim Popp and Marc Trestman becomes reality, a scenario many believe will play out as early as next week.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/22...house-in-order

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If this deal goes through (and until it does I am not counting on it), I fully expect Ray to be the starting QB, unless he has a debilitating injury. Trestman had five years of success with an older, experienced and smart QB -- someone a lot like Ricky. Willy survives long enough to see if Ricky is healthy out of camp, IMO, and could still end up as an experienced No. 2 (or No. 1 if Ricky is injured). I don't think think Kilgore is out of the picture as No. 2. Fajardo has considerable potential; the question is whether he can adapt his style to a Trestman system. Mathews seems like a huge longshot to stick on the roster but could be kept as a No. 4.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If this deal goes through (and until it does I am not counting on it), I fully expect Ray to be the starting QB, unless he has a debilitating injury. Trestman had five years of success with an older, experienced and smart QB -- someone a lot like Ricky. Willy survives long enough to see if Ricky is healthy out of camp, IMO, and could still end up as an experienced No. 2 (or No. 1 if Ricky is injured). I don't think think Kilgore is out of the picture as No. 2. Fajardo has considerable potential; the question is whether he can adapt his style to a Trestman system. Mathews seems like a huge longshot to stick on the roster but could be kept as a No. 4.
    Too bad you know two passed on Brandon Bridge when he was available, IIRC, for nothing or close to it.

Regardless of the Argos catatonia for these past months - at this point Popp and Trestman take on "added lustre" - I am happy that Milanovich and Barker are gone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Too bad you know two passed on Brandon Bridge when he was available, IIRC, for nothing or close to it.

Regardless of the Argos catatonia for these past months - at this point Popp and Trestman take on "added lustre" - I am happy that Milanovich and Barker are gone.

The 2 dorks who saw Drew frickin' Willy as a prize QB acquisition and gave away lots for him would have no interest in Bridge - who might develop into a good QB just based on superb arm strength, plus size/mobility; he would need some playing time/patience to develop and the right style of offence (designed QB roll-outs and scramble/improv stuff +let him throw vertical/lots of bombs), IMO. Not sure Bridge would ever become a solid QB in standard, same-old, basic look CFL offence of today - the one that ego-Jones has Kevin Glenn ready to be his starter in - LOL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The 2 dorks who saw Drew frickin' Willy as a prize QB acquisition and gave away lots for him would have no interest in Bridge - who might develop into a good QB just based on superb arm strength, plus size/mobility; he would need some playing time/patience to develop and the right style of offence (designed QB roll-outs and scramble/improv stuff +let him throw vertical/lots of bombs), IMO. Not sure Bridge would ever become a solid QB in standard, same-old, basic look CFL offence of today - the one that ego-Jones has Kevin Glenn ready to be his starter in - LOL.
    I don't know if Bridge will develop into a decent QB or not, but Trevor Harris spent 3 years developing as a backup and Danny Barrett spent four years as a CFL backup developing. After two years developing as a backup, Darian Durant still had to learn a lot when he became a starter. Bridge has some of the skills needed to become a CFL starter. Whether he does depends on whether he gets the opportunity and whether he focuses his effort on learning not only during a game and in practice, but while sitting on the bench. When Jeff Garcia arrived in the CFL, he was quite far from in development in terms of being a starter. However, he focused like a laser beam on improving and the results speak for themselves.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Trestman not only stuck with Calvillo for five years, which was the obvious and correct thing to do, he showed little interest in developing a backup, by playing Calvillo until the end of the game nearly always, even in blowouts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I have next to no interest in Bridge. I just don't see him developing into a viable QB in this league. Happy (for nationalistic reasons) to be proven wrong, but I'm not expecting that to happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Have been told it's Popp/Trestman. I consider the person who told me that to be very reliable.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Hopefully Popp has learned from his last few years in Montreal and doesn't repeat those mistakes, teaming up with Trestman should help.
    At the very least the Argonauts finally have some direction, Popp and Trestman have had success in the CFL so this seems preferable to starting from scratch with some NFL reject.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    At the very least the Argonauts finally have some direction, Popp and Trestman have had success in the CFL so this seems preferable to starting from scratch with some NFL reject.
    True. Copeland did not even bother to interview a couple of (or, indeed, any) current CFLer(s) considered by many to be ready to become GM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    True. Copeland did not even bother to interview a couple of (or, indeed, any) current CFLer(s) considered by many to be ready to become GM.
    Copeland could not interview any current CFL people who were ready to become GM,s because he waited far too long to fire Jim Barker.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    After January 31st he couldn’t. Before January 31st he would have needed written permission from the other team and the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Hopefully Popp has learned from his last few years in Montreal and doesn't repeat those mistakes, teaming up with Trestman should help.
    Funny thing is I can just imagine all the NFL snobs laughing at the Argos if they hire Trestman. They will only be aware of his 14-19 record as HC of the Chicago Bears and then his departure from the Baltimore Ravens. As an Argo fan I could not be happier.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Funny thing is I can just imagine all the NFL snobs laughing at the Argos if they hire Trestman. They will only be aware of his 14-19 record as HC of the Chicago Bears and then his departure from the Baltimore Ravens. As an Argo fan I could not be happier.
    Let them laugh, Trestman is a proven winner in the CFL.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Removing his win-loss record, this doesn't sound too shabby

2015: (with Baltimore) The Ravens’ offense set a franchise record by averaging 266.9 passing yards per game, despite starting four QBs (Joe Flacco, Matt Schaub, Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Mallett) for the first time in team history...Baltimore ranked 14th in the NFL in total net yards (5,749), second most in Ravens history...Flacco, who missed the final six games with a season-ending knee injury, was on pace to throw for a career-high 4,466 yards...Baltimore, which finished the season with six offensive starters on Injured Reserve, allowed the NFL’s third-fewest sacks (24).

2013-14: (with Chicago) 2013: Trestman’s Bears set single-season franchise records in total net yards (6,109), net passing yards (4,281), passing TDs (32) and passer rating (96.9)...QBs Jay Cutler and Josh McCown both had career years, with McCown setting the single-season franchise record in passer rating (109.0) and completion pct. (66.5), while Cutler finished second (now fourth) in Bears single-season history with a 63.1 completion percentage and a then-career-best 89.2 passer rating...Pro Bowl RB Matt Forte ranked second in the NFL in rushing yards (1,339), while Pro Bowl WRs Alshon Jeffery (sixth, 1,421) and Brandon Marshall (11th, 1,295) were among the league leaders in receiving yards...Trestman became the 14th head coach in Chicago Bears history.