Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Funny thing is I can just imagine all the NFL snobs laughing at the Argos if they hire Trestman. They will only be aware of his 14-19 record as HC of the Chicago Bears and then his departure from the Baltimore Ravens. As an Argo fan I could not be happier.
    Let them laugh, Trestman is a proven winner in the CFL.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Honestly, I would just be happy that Copeland didn't put this franchise on the critical care list. Like a moth to the fire, that's where he seemed to desire to go. Going into a new season with two of the finest CFL minds, and we are talking Hall of Fame here folks, is a great big giant relief. Say all you want about styles, but lets face it, talking about 'style' means life-breath. It's a healthy debate. At least we're not discussing missing the playoffs for the next three seasons with 5,000 people in the stands as some NFL hot head tears the guts out of everything that Barker tried to build up. The ability to bounce back (sooner) from several damning, near ruinous months for the Argonauts is nothing but positive news. I guess even a blind squirrel finds the odd nut. But sometimes that squirrel is eaten by the wolf too.

Both of these football men played a part in a huge football resurgence before. They know what it took. They know how it was done.

This is kind of 'phew, relief' for this longtime Argo fan. If they can get a competitive team on the field (every year) and sell the game day experience, while beating the bushes to put bums in the chairs, this is all rather do-able now.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Funny thing is I can just imagine all the NFL snobs laughing at the Argos if they hire Trestman. They will only be aware of his 14-19 record as HC of the Chicago Bears and then his departure from the Baltimore Ravens. As an Argo fan I could not be happier.
    Removing his win-loss record, this doesn't sound too shabby

2015: (with Baltimore) The Ravens’ offense set a franchise record by averaging 266.9 passing yards per game, despite starting four QBs (Joe Flacco, Matt Schaub, Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Mallett) for the first time in team history...Baltimore ranked 14th in the NFL in total net yards (5,749), second most in Ravens history...Flacco, who missed the final six games with a season-ending knee injury, was on pace to throw for a career-high 4,466 yards...Baltimore, which finished the season with six offensive starters on Injured Reserve, allowed the NFL’s third-fewest sacks (24).

2013-14: (with Chicago) 2013: Trestman’s Bears set single-season franchise records in total net yards (6,109), net passing yards (4,281), passing TDs (32) and passer rating (96.9)...QBs Jay Cutler and Josh McCown both had career years, with McCown setting the single-season franchise record in passer rating (109.0) and completion pct. (66.5), while Cutler finished second (now fourth) in Bears single-season history with a 63.1 completion percentage and a then-career-best 89.2 passer rating...Pro Bowl RB Matt Forte ranked second in the NFL in rushing yards (1,339), while Pro Bowl WRs Alshon Jeffery (sixth, 1,421) and Brandon Marshall (11th, 1,295) were among the league leaders in receiving yards...Trestman became the 14th head coach in Chicago Bears history.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Perhaps Trestman will freshen the playbook up, I also hope the Argos utilize Tommy Condell's talents (perhaps OC and Assistant HC).
    I really hope so as well, but I doubt it. Trestman in Montreal and Chicago had full control over the offense. I'm not completely opposed to Trestman coming in though, hell of a guy, and I have a lot of respect for him as a coach, highly intelligent as well, but without Calivlllo and his quick release will we see what we saw in Montreal or here in Toronto with Milanovich ?

Funny thing is I'm a big fan of Jason Maas and how he operates an offence, it's the Trestnan Milanovich base, but very aggressive.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    True. Copeland did not even bother to interview a couple of (or, indeed, any) current CFLer(s) considered by many to be ready to become GM.
    After January 31st he couldn’t. Before January 31st he would have needed written permission from the other team and the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Honestly, I would just be happy that Copeland didn't put this franchise on the critical care list. Like a moth to the fire, that's where he seemed to desire to go. Going into a new season with two of the finest CFL minds, and we are talking Hall of Fame here folks, is a great big giant relief. Say all you want about styles, but lets face it, talking about 'style' means life-breath. It's a healthy debate. At least we're not discussing missing the playoffs for the next three seasons with 5,000 people in the stands as some NFL hot head tears the guts out of everything that Barker tried to build up. The ability to bounce back (sooner) from several damning, near ruinous months for the Argonauts is nothing but positive news. I guess even a blind squirrel finds the odd nut. But sometimes that squirrel is eaten by the wolf too.

Both of these football men played a part in a huge football resurgence before. They know what it took. They know how it was done.

This is kind of 'phew, relief' for this longtime Argo fan. If they can get a competitive team on the field (every year) and sell the game day experience, while beating the bushes to put bums in the chairs, this is all rather do-able now.

Sorry, can\t agree on Poop - might have been a quite good CFL GM years & years ago, but has been nothing but a clown-act for the past few years with the Als - embarrassing at times. The notion that a CFL team just HAS to hire a guy who has held the position in the league before (or else is an American football "name") is typical, myopic, laughable GOB stuff. There are lots of sharp football people/minds out there - people who have contacts for players in the States AND know the Canadian football system for scouting & drafting. It doesn\t have to be a recycle job like Popp - bringing his same old GOB thinking, getting another CFL shot.

I'm OK with an experienced HC hire with success on his resume like Trestman; they did NOT (unless they came as a package only?) have to team him with a recycled hack like Poop - who might be inclined to sign some over-rated, ego act all-american saviours for the Argos, plus make all sort of misses in the draft and be dismissive of Canadian talent in general = like his GOB act with the Als for the past number of years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Sorry, can\t agree on Poop
    Honestly, would it kill you to stop using nicknames that only you think are clever or funny?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sounds like you and Copeland think alike. I think the both of you are wrong.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Reading Madani's tweets, seems like Copeland wanted to avoid hiring Popp at all costs and even tried bringing in Trestman without Popp. Eventually, Copeland (ownership?) realized that Popp is needed in getting to Trestman.

Copeland spent months trying to bring in someone new but that makes him a GOB? Or is going to the NFL GOB thinking? But then targeting Popp is a GOB move? So in the end, everyone and everything is a GOB?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Honestly, would it kill you to stop using nicknames that only you think are clever or funny?
    D'oh! - damn lousy spell-checker.

I'll have to come up with a less messy nickname. How bout Jimmy P ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Reading Madani's tweets, seems like Copeland wanted to avoid hiring Popp at all costs and even tried bringing in Trestman without Popp. Eventually, Copeland realized that Popp is needed in getting to Trestman.

Copeland spent months trying to bring in someone new but that makes him a GOB? Or is going to the NFL GOB thinking? But then targeting Popp is a GOB move? So in the end, everyone and everything is a GOB?

Elementary me dear Watson, er, Gabe. CFL teams wanting to hire an American football person with ZERO experience in or knowledge of the Canadian game (like Copeland is reported to have tried) = GOB like - been there , done that. AND, A desperate CFL team turning to recycle an American GM or HC who has lots of poor results, losing and questionable behaviour on his plenty of CFL chances in the past = very GOB like as well.

Canadian Football League ? Sure it is.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    So in the end, everyone and everything is a GOB?
    Now you've got it!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Removing his win-loss record, this doesn't sound too shabby

2015: (with Baltimore) The Ravens’ offense set a franchise record by averaging 266.9 passing yards per game, despite starting four QBs (Joe Flacco, Matt Schaub, Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Mallett) for the first time in team history...Baltimore ranked 14th in the NFL in total net yards (5,749), second most in Ravens history...Flacco, who missed the final six games with a season-ending knee injury, was on pace to throw for a career-high 4,466 yards...Baltimore, which finished the season with six offensive starters on Injured Reserve, allowed the NFL’s third-fewest sacks (24).

2013-14: (with Chicago) 2013: Trestman’s Bears set single-season franchise records in total net yards (6,109), net passing yards (4,281), passing TDs (32) and passer rating (96.9)...QBs Jay Cutler and Josh McCown both had career years, with McCown setting the single-season franchise record in passer rating (109.0) and completion pct. (66.5), while Cutler finished second (now fourth) in Bears single-season history with a 63.1 completion percentage and a then-career-best 89.2 passer rating...Pro Bowl RB Matt Forte ranked second in the NFL in rushing yards (1,339), while Pro Bowl WRs Alshon Jeffery (sixth, 1,421) and Brandon Marshall (11th, 1,295) were among the league leaders in receiving yards...Trestman became the 14th head coach in Chicago Bears history.

That's pretty impressive.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sorry, can\t agree on Poop - might have been a quite good CFL GM years & years ago, but has been nothing but a clown-act for the past few years with the Als - embarrassing at times. The notion that a CFL team just HAS to hire a guy who has held the position in the league before (or else is an American football "name") is typical, myopic, laughable GOB stuff. There are lots of sharp football people/minds out there - people who have contacts for players in the States AND know the Canadian football system for scouting & drafting. It doesn\t have to be a recycle job like Popp - bringing his same old GOB thinking, getting another CFL shot.

I'm OK with an experienced HC hire with success on his resume like Trestman; they did NOT (unless they came as a package only?) have to team him with a recycled hack like Poop - who might be inclined to sign some over-rated, ego act all-american saviours for the Argos, plus make all sort of misses in the draft and be dismissive of Canadian talent in general = like his GOB act with the Als for the past number of years.
    It's beeen reported that the only way to get Trestman was by hiring Popp. It's also been reported that Copeland wanted Trestman but didn't want Popp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Popp had great success as a GM from 1994 to 2012 - that is a hell of a run. He didn't become stupid overnight. He has had struggles since 2013 but I truly believe that it is because his focus went to coaching - which is not his strong suit - instead of managing which is absolutely his strong suit. He and Trestman will breathe new life into this Argonaut franchise. I would argue that this is the most significant managing hire for the Argos since Ralph Sazio was lured from Hamilton back in 1981.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Popp had great success as a GM from 1994 to 2012 - that is a hell of a run. He didn't become stupid overnight. He has had struggles since 2013 but I truly believe that it is because his focus went to coaching - which is not his strong suit - instead of managing which is absolutely his strong suit. He and Trestman will breathe new life into this Argonaut franchise. I would argue that this is the most significant managing hire for the Argos since Ralph Sazio was lured from Hamilton back in 1981.
    Totally agree with this perspective. Whether or not Popp and Trestman are as wildly successful in Toronto as they were in Montreal... they really seem like the only option available that can prevent the upcoming season from becoming a disaster of historical proportions. That's certainly saying a lot when you think of some of the legendary missteps of years past. I also agree that the management team that created the current atmosphere of near certain doom must go immediately.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It would be astounding should Copeland be able to continue in his job with this team after all this. If he does, it would have to be his last lifeline, and that to me is exceedingly gracious. "Impending doom" is not the atmosphere that Presidents are charged to cast. He has people, media, players and agents shaking their heads coast to coast. I blame none of them for not staying here. I'd be outey big time too!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Elementary me dear Watson, er, Gabe. CFL teams wanting to hire an American football person with ZERO experience in or knowledge of the Canadian game (like Copeland is reported to have tried) = GOB like - been there , done that. AND, A desperate CFL team turning to recycle an American GM or HC who has lots of poor results, losing and questionable behaviour on his plenty of CFL chances in the past = very GOB like as well.

Canadian Football League ? Sure it is.
    I never felt good about the focus on hiring an "NFL Type", doesn't work and would have put this franchise even further back.
    If Popp conducts himself as he did in his first 10 years in Montreal then we are in good shape, having Trestman agree to return to the CFL with our team has me excited for the next few seasons.
    Popp and Trestman reportedly had a great relationship in Montreal so I give ownership props for ending the Copeland tour the continent fiasco and making a decision.
    Just wish they'd have done it much sooner and put the Argonauts in better shape for 2017.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Maybe he became Lazy ? It will be interesting. Smarts are there. Work ethics unsure and will agents want to deal with him ? He damaged his reputation with agents pretty hard last couple years. Will all depend how all of this is structured and what he is responsible for.

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRoYoBoat View Post
    Maybe he became Lazy ? It will be interesting. Smarts are there. Work ethics unsure and will agents want to deal with him ? He damaged his reputation with agents pretty hard last couple years. Will all depend how all of this is structured and what he is responsible for.
    Hopefully the current assistant GM (Zimmerman) can be convinced to remain as well... to look after all of the details of front office work.