Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I didn't find that to be the case at all. What was especially interesting coming out of this press conference is that Copeland and Sara Moore both played key roles in luring Popp and Trestman to Toronto - Trestman even acknowledged this - and I am very thankful for that.
    I was intrigued by the two mentions of Dale Lastman. Who knew he had anything to do with the Argos? He's an MLSE guy, not a Kilmer guy. What, is he moonlighting for some extra cash? And what exactly is his role?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I was intrigued by the two mentions of Dale Lastman. Who knew he had anything to do with the Argos? He's an MLSE guy, not a Kilmer guy. What, is he moonlighting for some extra cash? And what exactly is his role?
    huh? Who? What article?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I don't think the sarcasm is helpful, guys, but yeah...

I'm glad you're excited, 1971GC, but things haven't really changed that much. Barker was a very good GM, and I don't think he lost a trade other than the Willy deal. Popp isn't better. Trestman should be a very good HC, but we're expecting him to run an offense similar to Milanovich's, aren't we? Hopefully he'll make some important changes and/or do a better job, but that remains to be seen.
    That's ok Wobbler, the Barker and Milanovich apologists are still pretty sore that their outcome, another year of dismal football, hasn't come to pass. They'll nitpick whenever the opportunity provides.

Clearly the team has to be rebuilt, but I believe in 2018 and beyond we'll have a team that fans will come out and support. I'll do much better in future in clarifying my enthusiasm.

I learned a lot after the first game in 2016 when our BMO Field debut was a flop and I was chastised for not loving this JB/SM duo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    That's ok Wobbler, the Barker and Milanovich apologists are still pretty sore that their outcome, another year of dismal football, hasn't come to pass. They'll nitpick whenever the opportunity provides.

Clearly the team has to be rebuilt, but I believe in 2018 and beyond we'll have a team that fans will come out and support. I'll do much better in future in clarifying my enthusiasm.

I learned a lot after the first game in 2016 when our BMO Field debut was a flop and I was chastised for not loving this JB/SM duo.

The time for change was so very obvious. To me, only someone too close couldn't see it. However, it was getting to the point where it would have been better to stay status quo. And that would have been better, but still bad. This is an outstanding outcome. I have respect for both Barker and Milanovich. If things go well for Scott, he could end up an OC or even a Head Coach in the NFL someday. He's got a way to go, but he's got the stuff IMO. Barker will re surface if he chooses to. Those two deserve credit for putting up with all the non sense that was happening in Toronto over their term. The great thing about a new regime, is they can ask, and they can expect. Good for all. Hopefully someday Barker can be the expansion GM of the Maritime Schooners, the Kelowna Mountaineers or the Quebec City Ramparts (;

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I think he is either the Argo rep to the board of governors or the alternate governor.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I'm glad you're excited, 1971GC, but things haven't really changed that much. Barker was a very good GM, and I don't think he lost a trade other than the Willy deal. Popp isn't better.
    I like Barker (which makes me an "apologist" in some quarters) and I've never been a fan of Popp's personality, but to suggest Barker is as good a GM as Popp seems like a real stretch. Popp took his team to 10 Grey Cups and won four in 23 years as a GM. Barker took his team to one Grey Cup (and won it) in nine seasons as a GM. People say Popp and Trestman rode the coat-tails of Calvillo, but you don't get to Grey Cups with just a good QB (and Calvillo IMO is not the greatest QB of his generation, as some have suggested, despite his impressive stats).
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Barker's stand out contributions amount to stealing Ricky Ray from Edmonton and the hiring of Chris Rosseti who loaded this team with import talent which Barker was unable to retain for mainly three reasons.

1= Braley ownership and lack of facilities and money.
    2- Held hostage by Milanovich and his bad decisions. (Harris and Collaros)
    3- NFL opportunites to top players on defense.

Barker work ethics are average to poor and his connections are extremely limited (Southern California) due to his history with the XFL.

Had Barker been successful he would have used his stay with the Argos to parlay that into a job out West as soon as an opportunity presented itself.

Good riddance to him and Milanovich and they can thank Ricky Ray an Chris Rosseti for all the money they pocketed with the Argos.

Future will tell if Popp has the work ethics to rebuild the Argos but at the very least Trestman will put on the field a team that is at least as well prepared and disciplined as any in the league and will win more than the five games they won last year. Even with the late start to the off season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Graat to see Popp officially signed as GM as long as he has no visions of being HC, even on an emergency basis.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I wonder if there is any room on the TSN panel for Jim Barker.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I wonder if there is any room on the TSN panel for Jim Barker.
    Not unless he gives up his pay from the Argo!

New Fan
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I like Barker (which makes me an "apologist" in some quarters) and I've never been a fan of Popp's personality, but to suggest Barker is as good a GM as Popp seems like a real stretch. Popp took his team to 10 Grey Cups and won four in 23 years as a GM. Barker took his team to one Grey Cup (and won it) in nine seasons as a GM. People say Popp and Trestman rode the coat-tails of Calvillo, but you don't get to Grey Cups with just a good QB (and Calvillo IMO is not the greatest QB of his generation, as some have suggested, despite his impressive stats).
    The Argo Bounce was a great reads, loved it!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Welcome aboard, headhoncho. If you were referring to Bouncing Back, thanks for the kind words! If you were referring to The Argo Bounce, Jay Teitel's memoir about being an Argo fan through the three decades of darkness, I agree completely -- it's my favourite book of all time and a truly great read.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I think he is either the Argo rep to the board of governors or the alternate governor.
    Yes, Lastman has been in one of those roles since the change in ownership.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I'm not convinced there was any other way to get this particular outcome. If Copeland had hired Popp in November, would we have Trestman right now? I wouldn't be surprised if Trestman was pursuing NFL opportunities until shortly after the Super Bowl.
    Furthermore, does anyone really believe that it was Copeland's idea to look for NFL people? Copeland has been around the CFL for a long time now and knows what works and what doesn't. Tanenbaum, on the other hand, likely thinks that an NFL guy can't fail in the CFL. My guess is that Tanenbaum was the one putting the pressure on Copeland to find an NFL guy and that it was Copeland who had to convince Tanenbaum to go with Popp. This would at least give Tanenbaum a head coach who is recognized widely as an NFL coach in addition to having a history of being a terrific CFL head coach.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Lastman is the Argos Governor (rep to the Board of Governors). He's involved in the team board meetings, a big argo fan, and Tanenbaum's right hand at MLSE (MLSE Director and Alt Governor for the Leafs and Raps).

New Fan
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Welcome aboard, headhoncho. If you were referring to Bouncing Back, thanks for the kind words! If you were referring to The Argo Bounce, Jay Teitel's memoir about being an Argo fan through the three decades of darkness, I agree completely -- it's my favourite book of all time and a truly great read.
    They are both great books! Absolutely read both...thanks

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Furthermore, does anyone really believe that it was Copeland's idea to look for NFL people? Copeland has been around the CFL for a long time now and knows what works and what doesn't. Tanenbaum, on the other hand, likely thinks that an NFL guy can't fail in the CFL. My guess is that Tanenbaum was the one putting the pressure on Copeland to find an NFL guy and that it was Copeland who had to convince Tanenbaum to go with Popp. This would at least give Tanenbaum a head coach who is recognized widely as an NFL coach in addition to having a history of being a terrific CFL head coach.
    You could be right on that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Interesting theory. Copeland said Popp was the first and only choice, so why not hire him earlier or at very least, before the draft or free agency? If Tanenbaum would only agree on Popp's hiring if Trestman was involved and Trestman only now became available, then that would explain the delay and the vague explanations. We're not getting the full story, but I'm happy of the outcome regardless.

Many of us have been calling for Trestman and it should be a welcome change. 2017 is now not a loss, even though it still will be challenging to make the playoffs. Looks like they might have sacrificed some of the season to get the man they wanted. I feel good about 2018, got to get through this tough year first though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Interesting theory. Copeland said Popp was the first and only choice, so why not hire him earlier or at very least, before the draft or free agency? If Tanenbaum would only agree on Popp's hiring if Trestman was involved and Trestman only now became available, then that would explain the delay and the vague explanations. We're not getting the full story, but I'm happy of the outcome regardless.

Many of us have been calling for Trestman and it should be a welcome change. 2017 is now not a loss, even though it still will be challenging to make the playoffs. Looks like they might have sacrificed some of the season to get the man they wanted. I feel good about 2018, got to get through this tough year first though.
    Popp alluded during his interview with McCown that they wouldn't have gotten Trestman if he was hired earlier.

There's 3+ months until our first preseason game. I'm not writing off making the playoffs in 2017 yet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    There's 3+ months until our first preseason game. I'm not writing off making the playoffs in 2017 yet.
    Nor am I. We have one of the best coaches in the modern history of the league, and a GM who took his team to the Grey Cup 10 times. To think they can't find some new talent and mold the talent we already have into a competitive team this year would be incredibly pessimistic. This is a league where turnarounds can happen quickly. We have two experienced QBs (including a future Hall of Famer), some strong Canadian players and a scattering of other guys who have shown they can play. Now Popp needs to work his contacts and the neg list to recruit some new guys who can also play, and take advantage of a buyer's market to pluck a few of the remaining free agents. I believe this team can not only contend but have a winning record in 2017. A lot of fans around the league who think we're a basket case are in for a big surprise.