Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Naylor seems pretty adament that this is not just a chance encounter, and that Popp should be the next.GM, bringing with him Trestman as Head Coach. I'm not really crazy about either move, especially Trestman as Head Coach, as I was hoping to never again see the Trestman/Milanovich offence ever again here in Toronto.
    Keep in mind Milanovich came to Toronto on the coat tails of Trestman success. Scott M was OC but Trestman made the calls on game day. My point is, just because we had Scott M, does not really mean we had the Trestman offence

BTW Gary Lawless, though adds a disclaimer at end, but he pretty much states it`s a done deal if you listen to the full audio at TSN, States TSN has confirmed that Trestman is gauging interest in coaches through a mediator, basically putting a team together

http://www.tsn.ca/trestman-gauging-i...staff-1.678052

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    At this point I guess I'd be happy with Popp as GM considering how Copeland has put the franchise sideways.
    As long as they make sure Popp can't become coach. Maybe a new challenge will get him back to focusing as a GM!

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
    Keep in mind Milanovich came to Toronto on the coat tails of Trestman success. Scott M was OC but Trestman made the calls on game day. My point is, just because we had Scott M, does not really mean we had the Trestman offence.
    Or that just because SM couldn't make it work effectively past 2013 doesn't mean that Trestman won't be able to do so himself.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I remember the Alouettes offence being more vertical and quick release than the SM Argo offence. Not as much dink and dunk and a lot more successful.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Banned
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I remember the Alouettes offence being more vertical and quick release than the SM Argo offence. Not as much dink and dunk and a lot more successful.
    My favorite thing Trestman said was this...You have heard it said you have to run the ball to open up the passing game, Well Trestman says he prefers throwing the ball to open up the running game. I prefer that as well

I like a passing game over a running game any day of the week. Give me the 70 yard bomb, that is football to me

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Jim Popp was always my first choice for Argo GM. Funny this comes up in a week when Leo Cahill is in the news, god bless him. Leo always understood, just as Popp always understood, that the GM's job in one of the major CFL cities has as much to do with generating fan interest as it does with winning. Barker never understood this. Tannenbaum wants to bring in the Argonaut equivalent of Giovinco, and there is no better GM for bringing in big names than Jim Popp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Or that just because SM couldn't make it work effectively past 2013 doesn't mean that Trestman won't be able to do so himself.
    True, Trestman called the plays while thankfully Milanovich then for the Als was in the background.
    In addition, there is no question AC credited Trestman for extending his career.
    Specifically, changing AC to a quick release with a 3 step drop.
    Do not quote me here, under no circumstance do I want Ray back, however under the same scheme if we have no other choice then perhaps the same can occur with Ray here.
    A much quick release, definitely getting him out of the drop back pocket mode and away from the pylon mentality for the Defences.

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    True, Trestman called the plays while thankfully Milanovich then for the Als was in the background.
    In addition, there is no question AC credited Trestman for extending his career.
    Specifically, changing AC to a quick release with a 3 step drop.
    Do not quote me here, under no circumstance do I want Ray back, however under the same scheme if we have no other choice then perhaps the same can occur with Ray here.
    A much quick release, definitely getting him out of the drop back pocket mode and away from the pylon mentality for the Defences.
    Ricky will be the starter unless by some miracle Willy shows something in TC. Anyways both will play based on injury history. both will be way better this year as thats trestman's expertise.
    I wouldn't think the offense will not change that much (its basically trestman's offense), but i expect gameplanning and calling will be way better.

Key is they need to recruit a good 3-tool RB for our offense.
    All the work recruiting for TC was done by Barker over last 9 months, those are guys signed already roster is at 66 already. The piece we missed out on is high-end CFL free agents, but spending big $ in FA usually backfires. Big worry is ratio ... we better draft well over next couple years.
    Last edited by Shipyard; 02-22-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Yikes we would have been better off keeping Barker. Not a fan of Popp. He thinks he is gods gift to the cfl.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I've never liked Popp's personality -- too arrogant for my taste -- but at this point he's clearly the best option available. If this goes through with both Popp and Trestman, I wonder if we could see a return of Josh Bourke. He didn't play well last season but I had the feeling there were other factors involved in his disappearance. He and Bulcke are old Windsor buddies and both somehow fell out of favour quickly. May have been based entirely on performance/on-the-field factors, but my suspicion is that there was something else at play. Trestman and Popp presumably have fond memories of what they got out of Bourke in the past.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I've never liked Popp's personality -- too arrogant for my taste -- but at this point he's clearly the best option available. If this goes through with both Popp and Trestman, I wonder if we could see a return of Josh Bourke. He didn't play well last season but I had the feeling there were other factors involved in his disappearance. He and Bulcke are old Windsor buddies and both somehow fell out of favour quickly. May have been based entirely on performance/on-the-field factors, but my suspicion is that there was something else at play. Trestman and Popp presumably have fond memories of what they got out of Bourke in the past.
    Could Jeff Perrett join them as well if they are hired?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Copeland will announce the hiring of Popp on NHL trade deadline day. Then announce Trestman on NBA trade deadline day. Opportunities always missed
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    copeland will announce the hiring of popp on nhl trade deadline day. Then announce trestman on nba trade deadline day. Opportunities always missed
    lmfao!!
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Could Jeff Perrett join them as well if they are hired?
    I wouldn't mind seeing Perrett here, and either asking Van Zeyl to restructure his reported deal or just release him. I suppose one concern with Perrett is his age and he would end up becoming 2017 version of the Josh Bourke experiment.

As for Popp, my biggest concerns are that he failed to replace AC, and we badly need a top end starter now, or at the latest 2018. Ray, Willy and Matthews are not a top end QB stable IMO. Already seeing the Manziel talk ramp up again, and we do have Baker Mayfield on our neg list (If people haven't noticed - I really want Mayfield in double blue lol). I suppose another issue is that the Als went very veteran heavy, and reportedly had issues with the cap in 2016. Also IMO Cahoon and the all star Offensive line were never replaced either. In saying all that, considering Copeland was looking NFL only, I'm not opposed to Popp now, still not crazy about it, but I'd rather have someone with CFL experience up top, who would know who to hire and bring than an CFL newbie with NFL only experience.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Perrett here, and either asking Van Zeyl to restructure his reported deal or just release him. I suppose one concern with Perrett is his age and he would end up becoming 2017 version of the Josh Bourke experiment.

As for Popp, my biggest concerns are that he failed to replace AC, and we badly need a top end starter now, or at the latest 2018. Ray, Willy and Matthews are not a top end QB stable IMO. Already seeing the Manziel talk ramp up again, and we do have Baker Mayfield on our neg list (If people haven't noticed - I really want Mayfield in double blue lol). I suppose another issue is that the Als went very veteran heavy, and reportedly had issues with the cap in 2016. Also IMO Cahoon and the all star Offensive line were never replaced either. In saying all that, considering Copeland was looking NFL only, I'm not opposed to Popp now, still not crazy about it, but I'd rather have someone with CFL experience up top, who would know who to hire and bring than an CFL newbie with NFL only experience.
    Poop to pursue Manziel for Argo QB? Would make Poop sense - all-american hero name to the rescue. Start planning the GC parade now if this comes to pass and Johnny Football sure to insure Argo sell-outs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipyard View Post
    Ricky will be the starter unless by some miracle Willy shows something in TC.
    There's also a chance that the new GM and head coach might want to start with a clean slate at QB. If Popp is calling the shots we can be reasonably sure that Vernon Adams will be in the mix and maybe Cato too, and at this point I would probably take my chances with those two, plus Fajardo, over Ray and Willy. Surely one of Adams, Cato or Fajardo would click, they have more CFL experience than meets the eye.

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    most teams now are going to import tackles due to ease of injury replacement, and cap space (cdn T cost 250k, while a 2nd cdn receiver might be 100k; cdn DT might be 140k as your 7th cdn starter)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipyard View Post
    most teams now are going to import tackles due to ease of injury replacement, and cap space (cdn T cost 250k, while a 2nd cdn receiver might be 100k; cdn DT might be 140k as your 7th cdn starter)
    I've been on board with this type of thinking for a while. A lot of good skilled position Canadian players out there.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I've been on board with this type of thinking for a while. A lot of good skilled position Canadian players out there.
    I agree, but haven't seen any evidence that Popp buys into this. He's long been a proponent of loading up the o-line with NATs.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There's also a chance that the new GM and head coach might want to start with a clean slate at QB. If Popp is calling the shots we can be reasonably sure that Vernon Adams will be in the mix and maybe Cato too, and at this point I would probably take my chances with those two, plus Fajardo, over Ray and Willy. Surely one of Adams, Cato or Fajardo would click, they have more CFL experience than meets the eye.
    I'd rather not see either Cato or Adams in double blue, and I would hope Popp would let Trestman decide on the QB's. I also hope that Trestman if he comes in, quickly gives the boot to Willy and Matthews. I have no issue with Ray sticking around as a back-up, but if he sees the field then IMO the Argos are in big trouble.