Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    New Fan
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level

Argos Town Hall - Do You Have Any Ideas?

Hi Everyone. We hope you caught the news yesterday. It was a great day for Argos Football and the start of a new era. We hope you are excited as we are.

Now that we have Jim and Marc in place, Michael Copeland wants to hold an Argos Town Hall event for fans to provide you with an opportunity to meet our new football leaders, to talk football and ask questions of them, and for us to hear your feedback on anything else that might be on your mind.

This event will be exclusive for season seat holders. We are currently planning the event. Once we have more info, we will be sure to share it with all season seat holders.

But we would also like to hear your ideas about what you might want to see at an Argos Town Hall. Keep in mind that we are also returning the Argos' Fan Day, so that event will include more player access, football activations, autographs, etc. This event is more for providing you with an opportunity to hear directly from Jim and Marc on the football side, and Michael on the business. But while we are planning the event, if you have any ideas, we want to hear them.

Post them here and I will come back and check them out.

Thanks.

Jamie Dykstra
    Last edited by Jamiedykstra; 03-01-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Hi Jamie,

Thanks for this. Some ideas to consider:

1. Personally, I always enjoy when we can mingle with Argos & Argos Alumni (Pete Martin, Bill Symons, Jeff Johnston, Sandy Annuziatto, etc.)
    2. Mike Hogan & Don Landry are part of the Argos family and we always enjoy their participation,
    3. I am not sure an Argos event is complete without the on-and-only Michael "Pinball" Clemons,

We're really looking forward to this event. Thanks for arranging it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Hi Jamie -- thanks very much for asking; that in itself is a very positive step. The suggestions that come immediately to mind are:

1. Q-and-A session, not just speeches and presentations. Fans will have questions about business ops as well as football ops.

2. It's an opportunity for fans to get to know each other. Do something that enables us to make new connections with our fellow fans. I don't have any brilliant ideas about that, but it feels like something creative could be done (maybe involving stadium seat allocations) that would allow everyone to make some new friends among the diehards.

I may think of other things later, but that's what popped into my head right off the bat.

Cheers,

Paul
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    For us the date, time & location are the biggest logistical concerns. As to the event itself we would like the opportunity to have conversations in addition to a Q&A.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Is there any consideration of the Argos moving training camp back into the GTA? I like Guelph, but it would be nice for the fans of the team not to have to drive an hour west to watch the team in camp.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks for the info Mr. Dykstra. As you are probably already aware, this is something we die hards have really wanted to see return.

Some ideas:
    1. Hold the event at either Real Sports or some other establishment.
    2. Introductions to the new GM, Head Coach, maybe even another Coach or two, along with Mr. Copeland, and a player or two would be great as well. I think that beyond the introductions we need to hear from these individuals about what the plans are, obviously not into a lot of detail, but IMO it's important that we fans are aware of what the plans are, as opposed to just being told that they do have plans for the future etc.
    3. Q&A period for the fans with these individuals. Moderated by someone like Mike Hogan and/or Don Landry.
    4. "Special appearance" by Pinball - I don't think I need to go any further than that lol.
    5. I've thought that a paid event where most of the proceeds go the a charity and/or youth football, could be a good way to go.

I'm just happy to hear that the team/Copeland are looking into bringing this great event back. Just another opportunity for us fans to mingle with the Franchise we love.
    Last edited by R.J; 03-01-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Thanks for the info Mr. Dykstra. As you are probably already aware, this is something we die hards have really wanted to see return.

Some ideas:
    2. Introductions to the new GM, Head Coach, maybe even another Coach or two, along with Mr. Copeland, and a player or two would be great as well. I think that beyond the introductions we need to hear from these individuals about what the plans are, obviously not into a lot of detail, but IMO it's important that we fans are aware of what the plans are, as opposed to being told there they do have plans for the future etc.
    3. Q&A period for the fans with these individuals. Moderated by someone like Mike Hogan and/or Don Landry.
    4. "Special appearance" by Pinball - I don't think I need to go any further than that lol.
    5. I've thought that a paid event where most of the proceeds go the a charity and/or youth football, could be a good way to go.

I'm just happy to hear that the team/Copeland are looking into bringing this great event back. Just another opportunity for us fans to mingle with the Franchise we love.
    I like SnowRogues' suggestions. I think alot of us were thinking along the same kind of ideas.

I would like Fan Day to be held back in Toronto or come back east like you did in Oshawa in 2015 (I wasn't here for that one, was in Alberta at the time and missed that whole season), Since I do not drive, I did not go to the one in Guelph last year, if it could be held at York again perhaps or the Downsview practice field if you still have access to it.

I am in some Facebook Argos groups and I know of some season ticket holders that would probably contribute if they knew about this.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

New Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    in short, this is an interactive "state of the franchise" type of event?

im for it

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    For us the date, time & location are the biggest logistical concerns.
    Isn't it for everyone? LOL

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Some great ideas. Town Halls are not going to significantly increase ticket sales, but events like this do keep the existing base involved and likely secure from leaving, hence their importance. Real Sports would be a great venue, I'm sure Tanenbaum could get a discount being part owner and all. They currently have the most expensive chicken wings in the city, but if complimentary (one can dream) or included with a cover, it would be an awesome Argonauts party!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Some great ideas. Town Halls are not going to significantly increase ticket sales, but events like this do keep the existing base involved and likely secure from leaving, hence their importance. Real Sports would be a great venue, I'm sure Tanenbaum could get a discount being part owner and all. They currently have the most expensive chicken wings in the city, but if complimentary (one can dream) or included with a cover, it would be an awesome Argonauts party!
    That would be awesome.

Is second city still around? In my first few years as a sth since 2010, the town halls were held there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    That would be awesome.

Is second city still around? In my first few years as a sth since 2010, the town halls were held there.
    Second City is still there and they are available for corporate events. They confirmed this with me a couple of weeks ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post

Some ideas:
    2. Introductions to the new GM, Head Coach, maybe even another Coach or two, along with Mr. Copeland, and a player or two would be great as well. I think that beyond the introductions we need to hear from these individuals about what the plans are, obviously not into a lot of detail, but IMO it's important that we fans are aware of what the plans are, as opposed to just being told that they do have plans for the future etc.

I think noise could be an issue at a bar but WEGZ in Vaughan could be another good venue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I think noise could be an issue at a bar but WEGZ in Vaughan could be another good venue.
    Having it in one of the suburbs would make attendance difficult-to-impossible for fans living in other suburbs. The only truly "central" location (i.e. about as accessible from all directions) is downtown.

I agree re noise. If it's in a bar, there has to be a dedicated room or space for the event.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Having it in one of the suburbs would make attendance difficult-to-impossible for fans living in other suburbs. The only truly "central" location (i.e. about as accessible from all directions) is downtown.

I agree re noise. If it's in a bar, there has to be a dedicated room or space for the event.
    Downtown is not central. It's the most difficult area to drive to, which is how most people will be getting there. You seem to forget that most Argonauts season ticket holders live in the 905, not the 416. If you want central for this group that would probably be Richmond Hill or Thornhill. Vaughan is good because you have the 400, 407, Highway 7, Viva express buses and depending on when this meeting is the Subway to Vaughan City Centre.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Downtown is not central. It's the most difficult area to drive to, which is how most people will be getting there. You seem to forget that most Argonauts season ticket holders live in the 905, not the 416. If you want central for this group that would probably be Richmond Hill or Thornhill. Vaughan is good because you have the 400, 407, Highway 7, Viva express buses and depending on when this meeting is the Subway to Vaughan City Centre.
    We've had this discussion before. The 905 is gigantic; it goes all the way from Hamilton to well past Oshawa. If Argo fans mostly live in the 905, they are in fact scattered over an area that can take two hours to traverse from one end to another -- when there is no traffic. For those who wish to drive to an event and don't live near that event, downtown is as easy to get to as any other location. In some cases it's easier. I can drive downtown easier than I can drive to Vaughan. And I have a second option to get downtown (public transit) that doesn't exist for any suburban location.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    We've had this discussion before. The 905 is gigantic; it goes all the way from Hamilton to well past Oshawa. If Argo fans mostly live in the 905, they are in fact scattered over an area that can take two hours to traverse from one end to another -- when there is no traffic. For those who wish to drive to an event and don't live near that event, downtown is as easy to get to as any other location. In some cases it's easier. I can drive downtown easier than I can drive to Vaughan. And I have a second option to get downtown (public transit) that doesn't exist for any suburban location.
    Obviously I don't know where you live but hopping on the highway is an option for most.

Public transit doesn't exist for any suburban location? GO Transit, YRT, Viva, Zum...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Obviously I don't know where you live but hopping on the highway is an option for most.

Public transit doesn't exist for any suburban location? GO Transit, YRT, Viva, Zum...
    durham transit to anywhere the go system connects with.

If its in toronto I should be able to get to it by go train and ttc...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    My point was clearly that there is no public transit that takes you from any suburban location to any other suburban location. There is public transit that takes you from any suburban location to downtown, tho.

There is no public transit I know of that will take someone in the far west of the GTA to somewhere in the north of the GTA, unless you are suggesting a GO train from Burlington or Oakville, then a subway to Downsview, then a bus to wherever up there. Can't see anyone making a two-plus-hour journey involving maybe three separate transit systems.

I don't know what the situation is for the Osh/Whitby/Pickering region -- maybe there are buses that go straight to Vaughan/Richmond Hill? But there aren't any in the west.

This debate happens like clockwork every off-season.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The 905 region extends farther beyond Oshawa. I believe that the border between 905 and 613 might be the Trent-Severn Canal (at least at it's southern end along the 401), and I think the 905 wraps around onto the Niagara Peninsula. I do not know the western border of the 905 and 519 though (possibly W of Milton)?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022