Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

Level
    It was awesome meeting everyone yesterday! Nice to put some faces to names. I thought it was a great event.
    Good job on the Argos for reaching out to their core. Very informative.

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Is it possible for someone to summarize the topics discussed if not the details? Were opinions asked of us? Perhaps those of us who weren't able to attend could send an email with our thoughts/suggestions as well?

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Patience
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

New Fan
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    It was great meeting those of you who attended last night. Thank you for taking the time to come in and share your feedback. If you were not able to attend I welcome your feedback so please fee free to email me anytime. You core fans are so very important to the Toronto Argonauts and we are going to continue to work hard to make this season great.

Thank you
    Michael Hook
    mhook@argonauts.ca

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Here is my summary of the mtg, covering many but by no means all of the points raised, in no particular order. It was attended by five Argo execs (Copeland, Moore, Popp, Dykstra and Hook) and about two dozen members of this forum.

BUSINESS STUFF

Copeland grew up as an Argo fan because of family connection. He shagged punts from the Big Zee, hung around with Symons and Gabler, and had an Argo flag (boat logo) on his bedroom wall as a kid.

The question of boat logo returning was raised. (Surprisingly it took until 1:51 into the meeting!) It won't become primary logo but will remain a secondary logo with new merchandise this year, designed and controlled by the Argos org, not the league. The shield remains the main logo on the uni (hooray!) but it is difficult to use in merch because very difficult to embroider. (Have to admit that had never occurred to me.) The new simplified A logo will also be a "campaign element" featured on merch. Mockups of new uses of these logos on merch were passed around, looked good.

The team got into BMO for the first time only about two wks before first game, and didn't get some details finalized (including big ones like goal post installation) until very close to that game. BMO mgmt. was not ready for what the Argos required. They thought Argos would have similar needs to TFC, but the needs are different. For instance BMO had only one replay machine attached to the video board (since soccer seldom needs replays). The Argos have purchased a second replay machine so we can get more replays this year.

Despite many improvements, BMO is not state of the art. No wifi yet and there is no way to give STHs a card that could be automated for merch and concession purchases.

TFC mgmt. is co-operative and helpful. TFC worked hard to ensure Argos got the schedule dates they needed this year.

There will be signage in BMO celebrating the Argos' Grey Cup championships. Mockups of new banners (similar to the old ones) were passed around.

There will be a new ticket price map in 2018, with fewer price points, less confusion and fewer instances where big price gaps are essentially side by side. Michael Hook, the new ticket mgr, seems committed to simplifying pricing.

Hypothetically, the team would rather have 25,000 fans at an average price of $50 than 16,000 fans at an average price of $90 -- the more fans in there, the better atmosphere and the more new fans can be won over.

There will be more brand ambassadors (around 20) in the building on game days. STHs will be catered to, with their own entrance and with brand ambassadors instructed to keep us happy and tend to our needs.

The org has grown recently from 14 staff to 35, so feels better equipped for the season. Last season was too much too soon; new building, Grey Cup etc., led to mistakes. Copeland accepted responsibility and promised they will have learned and will be better.

They are emphasizing group sales this season. Reaching out to minor and touch football orgs, among others.

To combat the "NFL is better" mentality of this marketplace, they plan to emphasize the accomplishments of players wherever they were before: NCAA, CIS, NFL. Show on the video board that so-and-so was a member of national championship team at Alabama or Laval, not just list the school, etc.

Tix to this year's Grey Cup in Ottawa will be made available to Argo STHs.

They are looking into getting a restaurant for post-game festivities as they used to do with Shoeless Joe's.

They would like to emulate the growth of supporter groups that TFC has had, but feel it needs to happen organically.

Re Rogers' disdain for the CFL: Copeland takes it as a challenge. He wants to force them to cover the team and be respectful by creating a winning team and a successful organization. Rather than bitch about it, prove them wrong.

There will be Argo merch at the Adidas flagship store at Queen and Yonge. But big retail chains will stock merch only if it can sell in sufficient quantities to justify the shelf space. The org needs to earn that space by developing into a team whose colours fans want to wear.

They thanked Argomania for her suggestion that a 10% discount on merch prices for STHs is not sufficient when shipping costs are factored in.

FOOTBALL STUFF

Re-signing Van Zeyl and Holmes was more important than pursuing FAs from other teams. VZ was described as "the best right tackle in the league, a cornerstone player." (There isn't much agreement in this forum for that sentiment, but for the record Popp seems to believe it.)

Copeland reiterated, with a bit more elaboration, what he said at the Popp/Trestman newser. He had to make sure Tanenbaum agreed with him that Popp was the best GM candidate, and doing so meant presenting LT with a wide range of candidates from the NFL.

Zimmerman did a great job in the interim period and is one of the best up-and-coming future GMs in the league.

2017 is not a strong draft year so they are not overly concerned with having no first-rounder. Added two new NAT starters last season in McEwen and Jones, so in good shape for young Canadians.

Popp likes Fajardo as at least the third-down QB. He noted CF is an athlete who can play on special teams as well. They will keep four QBs including at least one young one being developed. He noted that they have five guys with varying degrees of CFL experience but indicated he would like another QB. (I can't see six coming to camp, so if a kid is signed, IMO it's bye-bye to one of Kilgore, Matthews or Willy.)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I am really disappointed that I could not make it but it sounds like everyone is rejuvenated about the management team which is fantastic to hear. I hope that we all can contribute to filling BMO consistently every game every year and bring back the Argo pride in Toronto like I remember when I was a kid. Thanks to everyone summarizing and giving me an idea of what I missed.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    One other thing that was brough up was the possibility of selling merchandise at the Tailgates and Argonauts season ticket holders would be able to get a discount there since it's not possible to get a discount at BMO Field due to the lack of infrastructure that Paul mentioned.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks for the update guys, a lot of positives to build on!!
    Communication with their fanbase does wonders sometimes, hopefully able to attend the next event.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    thanks Micheal...... it was a great event that helps personalize the organization and shows us fans that the argos are committed to become a success in this town...

Quote Originally Posted by Hook16 View Post
    It was great meeting those of you who attended last night. Thank you for taking the time to come in and share your feedback. If you were not able to attend I welcome your feedback so please fee free to email me anytime. You core fans are so very important to the Toronto Argonauts and we are going to continue to work hard to make this season great.

Thank you
    Michael Hook
    mhook@argonauts.ca

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks for the summary Paul, some very nice things to hear. I'm surprised how many members attended, really wished I could have come after hearing that. Great move by the Argos for hosting such an event. Having positive vibes simply flowing through a fan forum is a great thing to see.

Even though it was a small event, don't you guys feel like your more part of something, that a connection is growing or stronger? This was exactly what I felt was missing last season.

Now that the Argos are engaging their fans again, does that mean ArgomANIA is coming back?

Once you have a template for your logo, any modern company like Adidas can reproduce or embroider it larger or smaller. There has been many more complicated logos, even in this city, than the current Argos logo. It may be more difficult for smaller companies (Mustang) without the modern computers and equipment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Was really great to meet fellow ARGO fans who could attend.

I am very impressed with the ARGO management team... There is some real good people in place running the Argos at this time. Things are definitely headed in a positive direction.

Thanks again to everyone on the ARGOS for making this happen... Go ARRGOS !!!

ARGOFANIan

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thank you Paul, for the excellent summary of information provided at the meeting. Unfortunately I had a prior engagement, so regretfully I had to miss the event.
    One question I would liked to have posed, was in regards to the future recognition of the retired numbers of past Argo players. TFC has a Wall of Honour just outside the Argo dressing room area. Hopefully, a similar plan is in place for the Argos---was that question raised?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks for the update Paul. If the Argos accomplish 1/2's of their goals this year with regard to servicing the fans, that would be an enormous improvement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Paul was on point with his ovearall summary.

Copeland also acknowledged that it is going to take time. I think it's important for all to understand this, and if things don't go the way we all hope this year in terms of a huge turnaround attendance wise, the doom and gloom attitude we saw for much of the last 6 months doesn't just reappear on here.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Thank you Paul, for the excellent summary of information provided at the meeting. Unfortunately I had a prior engagement, so regretfully I had to miss the event.
    One question I would liked to have posed, was in regards to the future recognition of the retired numbers of past Argo players. TFC has a Wall of Honour just outside the Argo dressing room area. Hopefully, a similar plan is in place for the Argos---was that question raised?
    No IIRC we only asked about the banners. You can send an Email to Michael Hook though, as per his post above they are looking for suggestions.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Paul summarized the evening well.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks for the summary Paul. It sounds like a great time and I am happy that the team is making an effort to communicate with it's fans, something that was definitely lacking last year. I get the sense that there is now genuine hope and optimism for the future!

A quick question (& please don't take this as a complaint), when they were talking about not being able to have a card for concession/merchandise discounts, was this meant to imply that is the reason that the STH discount does not apply in stadium?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan81 View Post
    Thanks for the summary Paul. It sounds like a great time and I am happy that the team is making an effort to communicate with it's fans, something that was definitely lacking last year. I get the sense that there is now genuine hope and optimism for the future!

A quick question (& please don't take this as a complaint), when they were talking about not being able to have a card for concession/merchandise discounts, was this meant to imply that is the reason that the STH discount does not apply in stadium?
    Yes. The stadium doesn't have the necessary infrastructure / technology to track and process season ticket discounts on merchandise. They are considering selling merchandise at the Tailgates and offering the season ticket holder discount there.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan81 View Post

That was one of the reasons, Moore mentioned something about control over the merchandise booths as being another reason, yes?

A few other items:

1. Vis-a-vis merchandising the Argos are kind of caught between a rock and a hard place right now. The industry is consolidating and a lot of the mom & pop jersey stores are getting put out of business and dealing with the larger corporate stores is more difficult. The gist I got was that until the Argos can rebuild their brand recognition in Toronto that it'll be difficult to get merchandise in these stores because the "buyers" for these stores will not go for something they feel will not sell. I think this makes Ania's point more pertinent actually as if we are going to have to go online for our Argos merchandise that the discount should reflect that.

2. I don't know if I am remembering this right, but did they imply that the previous management at BMO wasn't exactly cooperative? They seemed to suggest there was a new group there that seems to be a little more cooperative. Copeland also stressed that the relationship between Argos and Toronto FC is actually solid and that the problem is the "militancy" inherent in parts of their supporter groups.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Yes. The stadium doesn't have the necessary infrastructure / technology to track and process season ticket discounts on merchandise. They are considering selling merchandise at the Tailgates and offering the season ticket holder discount there.
    Interesting. I wonder how TFC does it since a discount off merchandise at BMO field is listed as one of their STH benefits?