Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

OV's annual CFL all- Draft board team 2017 edition

Post CFL Combine - not meant to be a predictor of CFL drafting, but a positional team - based mostly on college ball play: stats, awards, all-star recognition, plus Combine numbers (size, test results, reviews of one-on ones, etc.)

QB - N/A

RB - Sean Thomas Erlington (Montreal)

Receivers - Dan Vandervoort (McMaster), Nate Behar (Carleton), Mitch Picton (Regina), Alex Morrison (UBC), Anthony Auclair (Laval)

O-Line - Justin Senior (Mississippi), Geoff Gray (Manitoba), Darius Bladek (Bethune Cookman), Quadr Spooner (McGill), Mason Woods (Idaho)

DT - Junior Luke (Montreal), Justin Vaughn (Fordham)

DE - Kwaku Boateng (Laurier), Evan Foster (Manitoba)

LB - Jordan Herdman (Simon Fraser), Chris Mulumba Tshimanga (Maine), Justin Herdman (Simon Fraser)

DBs - Robert Woodson (Calgary), Dondre Wright (Henderson St.), Jordan Hoover (Waterloo), Nate Hamlin (Carleton), Adam Laurensse (Calgary)

Kicker - Felix Menard Briere (Montreal)

Returner - Tunde Adeleke (Carleton)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Post CFL Combine - not meant to be a predictor of CFL drafting, but a positional team - based mostly on college ball play: stats, awards, all-star recognition, plus Combine numbers (size, test results, reviews of one-on ones, etc.)

QB - N/A

RB - Sean Thomas Erlington (Montreal)

Receivers - Dan Vandervoort (McMaster), Nate Behar (Carleton), Mitch Picton (Regina), Alex Morrison (UBC), Anthony Auclair (Laval)

O-Line - Justin Senior (Mississippi), Geoff Gray (Manitoba), Darius Bladek (Bethune Cookman), Quadr Spooner (McGill), Mason Woods (Idaho)

DT - Junior Luke (Montreal), Justin Vaughn (Fordham)

DE - Kwaku Boateng (Laurier), Evan Foster (Manitoba)

LB - Jordan Herdman (Simon Fraser), Chris Mulumba Tshimanga (Maine), Justin Herdman (Simon Fraser)

DBs - Robert Woodson (Calgary), Dondre Wright (Henderson St.), Jordan Hoover (Waterloo), Nate Hamlin (Carleton), Adam Laurensse (Calgary)

Kicker - Felix Menard Briere (Montreal)

Returner - Tunde Adeleke (Carleton)

I could agree with many of these choices. But on my board I would have Johnny Augustine also as a RB. Small but tough and quick.

I would think DT Eli Ankou at be ahead of Luke and Vaughan. Justin Vaughan didn't help himself IMO, didn't participate in much except the 40 (5.1) shoulder issues I guess but he is 6'5 280. I think Price has potential but he's over weight and needs to get in the weight room to turn some of that flab into muscle.

I have OL Qadr Spooner at the head of the class especially if Senior and Gray sign on with the NFL. I would grab Spooner real quick if he was still there at #10.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I could agree with many of these choices. But on my board I would have Johnny Augustine also as a RB. Small but tough and quick.

I would think DT Eli Ankou at be ahead of Luke and Vaughan. Justin Vaughan didn't help himself IMO, didn't participate in much except the 40 (5.1) shoulder issues I guess but he is 6'5 280. I think Price has potential but he's over weight and needs to get in the weight room to turn some of that flab into muscle.

I have OL Qadr Spooner at the head of the class especially if Senior and Gray sign on with the NFL. I would grab Spooner real quick if he was still there at #10.
    I'd agree Ankou might be the top rated DT by most CFL scouts - based on his Div I resume as a starter and massive size; but he may be more of an American ball, big run plugger DT type and those aren't as valuable in the CFL; he was not a Conference all-star or a big stat guy (like sacks); OTOH - Vaughn was an all-star last season in US college ball with some impressive stats; and Luke is a CIS all-star DT who also went down to a US college all-star game and won lineman of the game award there. I think both might prove better CFL DTs due to more quickness or athleticism (and I'm probably biased towards Luke cause i saw him play several times for that strong Carabins team and he was impressive - especially in tough play-off competition; I saw Ankou play a bit in a UCLA game last season and he did little to impress me - small sample though)

You'd have the Argos use their top pick on Spooner (or any other O-linemen this draft)? - where is the guy supposed to fit with all the vet NI O-linemen the Argos have now, plus last year's draft picks still around ? There are much more important position groups to address IMO - like D-line (good crop of both DT & DE this draft, IMO).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I'd agree Ankou might be the top rated DT by most CFL scouts - based on his Div I resume as a starter and massive size; but he may be more of an American ball, big run plugger DT type and those aren't as valuable in the CFL; he was not a Conference all-star or a big stat guy (like sacks); OTOH - Vaughn was an all-star last season in US college ball with some impressive stats; and Luke is a CIS all-star DT who also went down to a US college all-star game and won lineman of the game award there. I think both might prove better CFL DTs due to more quickness or athleticism (and I'm probably biased towards Luke cause i saw him play several times for that strong Carabins team and he was impressive - especially in tough play-off competition; I saw Ankou play a bit in a UCLA game last season and he did little to impress me - small sample though)

You'd have the Argos use their top pick on Spooner (or any other O-linemen this draft)? - where is the guy supposed to fit with all the vet NI O-linemen the Argos have now, plus last year's draft picks still around ? There are much more important position groups to address IMO - like D-line (good crop of both DT & DE this draft, IMO).
    IMO Spooner will be the best pro out of this year's OL crop. By 2018 a front of LT? Holmes McEwen Spooner and Campbell could look pretty good.
    I picked Sukh Chungh in 2015 and Jason Lauzon-Seguin in 2016 as my top guys. Still like those guys as tough long term CFL players. So we will see how things turn out. Some of this year's DL crop may eventually turn out to be all stars and if the Argos take one I hope they do. But I don't see any Ted Laurent's in this class.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I think Johnny Augustine has moved up considerably in the draft after his fine performance in the National Combine.

After his one-on-ones with the running backs at the CFL Combine last month, Johnny Augustine’s day wasn’t done.
    The running back out of Guelph was headed back onto the field as a receiver, where he showed scouts and general managers from nine CFL teams that he’s pretty fluid as a pass-catcher, too.
    From his big day on the bench press to a dominant performance in the one-on-ones, Augustine’s draft stock took a significant leap during CFL Week in Regina. ...
    “He basically planted Jordan Herdman on the one rep,” said CFL.ca draft analyst Marshall Ferguson. “You like to see when a guy who looks like Augustine — and measures like Augustine — plays in a way that matches his physicality on paper.
    “I thought he did that and much more. I was surprised by how smooth his route running was.”
    Augustine’s physical dominance is hardly a secret but on the biggest of stages, with the CFL Draft just a month away, the stocky ball-carrier showed there’s more to his resume than just a physical build.
    On top of a strong showing in the one-on-ones, Augustine also tested well, as he needed to, earning him a score of 62.61 on Ferguson’s post-combine assessment. ...
    While Augistine’s size — 5-foot-8, 202 pounds — closely resembles that of Argos versatile running back/slot back Anthony Coombs, a closer comparison might be McMaster graduate and 2016 second round pick Wayne Moore.
    Moore turned in a strong combine performance that eventually helped him become the 11th overall pick by the Montreal Alouettes.
    “Johnny is like a pocket-sized version of Wayne Moore but plays with similar burst,” said Ferguson. “His ability to read the opening and beat a linebacker to the spot suggests someone who has the raw ability, before the benefit of CFL coaching, to make plays.”
    Moore failed to draw into the Als’ lineup while spending 2016 on the six-game injured list but may have a chance to contribute in 2017 both on offence and special teams.
    http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/07/compari...nny-augustine/