Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
Those were exciting days, but what did those big signings really do for the Argos on the field? One good team in 71 and an embarrassing overtime playoff collapse in 73. 1970 was a decent team, but the rest of the decade was disappointing at best.

In the 80s, the last decade before CFL and NFL salaries really separated themselves, the Argos had few if any high-profile NFL or NCAA signings (does Dan Manucci count?). We saw seven playoff appearances and three Grey Cups, and you could argue 80 and 81 were really an extension of the 70s.
I am of the camp that we need both competitive and exciting football. I think that Jim Popp understands an uphill battle for fans in a large metropolitan area.
Excellent Montreal football teams just about filled Olympic Stadium for playoff games.

Before the salary cap, the big signing of Rocket Ismail provided both the talent, competitive football and the media coverage that kept the Argos relevant. Also sold 40,000 tickets too. I don't propose to sign the expected #1 NFL Draft Pick, but wouldn't mind a marquee player. Popp has been known to pull the trigger on that type of a player in the past.