Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    This is another thing to bring up at the meeting next wednesday.
    What meeting next Wednesday?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Very sorry to hear this. We've always enjoyed Hoagie and Jeff in the both. That also means that Sandy Annuziata and Chuck Winters won't be available for the post game shows. I will always remember listening to post game shows all the way back to the 1960s. A rite of passage going over the games afterwards. Good, bad and ugly ones. Mel Profit always amused us with his honesty. Until CFRB canned him, of coarse. Pretty sure Ralph Sazio had a hand in this one.

I think this cost savings, like others, can be drawn directly back to the CRTC ruling that Canadian channels had to air US commercials. If I am correct, a $25 million hit to Bell Media? US commercial content just cost a lot of Canadians their jobs. In retrospect, how wise was that move?
    I don't agree with that CRTC decision but it was only for the Superbowl.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    This move to simulcast TSN tv for radio doesn't bode well for the future of the Argos in Toronto. We'd listen to radio calls in the stands and were glued to the post game show. Has Bell Media mandated cuts to costs until stadium revenue is reversed?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I must not be understanding this correctly.
    Does this mean that fans listening in on radio will only hear is the noise of the game - & the occasional stadium announcer's voice....?
    I can't see how they would think this will keep listeners tuned in for very long!
    But if radio fans would instead hear the TSN television PbyP - then lost jobs aside - it could work fine I guess.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpastum View Post
    I must not be understanding this correctly.
    Does this mean that fans listening in on radio will only hear is the noise of the game - & the occasional stadium announcer's voice....?
    I can't see how they would think this will keep listeners tuned in for very long!
    But if radio fans would instead hear the TSN television PbyP - then lost jobs aside - it could work fine I guess.
    the tv broadcast cannot hold a candle to hogans play by play.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Very sorry to hear this. We've always enjoyed Hoagie and Jeff in the both. That also means that Sandy Annuziata and Chuck Winters won't be available for the post game shows. I will always remember listening to post game shows all the way back to the 1960s. A rite of passage going over the games afterwards. Good, bad and ugly ones. Mel Profit always amused us with his honesty. Until CFRB canned him, of coarse. Pretty sure Ralph Sazio had a hand in this one.

I think this cost savings, like others, can be drawn directly back to the CRTC ruling that Canadian channels had to air US commercials. If I am correct, a $25 million hit to Bell Media? US commercial content just cost a lot of Canadians their jobs. In retrospect, how wise was that move?
    I really don't think the CRTC ruling on simulcasting had anything to do with this as the Argos radio broadcasts have not been economically viable for decades. Do you remember the year they had no radio coverage at all...I think around 1999 or 2000. It had gotten that bad, and word was out that the Argos were paying for their airtime. That won't drive radio sponsors to your product.

You definitely have several years on me if you remember listening to games in the 1960s and 1970s, but I'm pretty sure that Mel Profit had moved out of Toronto by the time Sazio became Argo GM and President in 1981. So it wouldn't have been him who influenced CFRB in their decision. I believe I've heard that happened during one of the late 70s seasons which saw Profit work as a radio analyst with Dave Hodge doing play-by-by....wow, talk about outspoken on-air talent, something that you hardly see and hear from today's company "yes" men.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    It's that, but it won't be very good. As Angelo pointed out above, the TV PBP is intended to help you understand what you're *looking* at; things that are obvious on TV (e.g. incompletions) aren't always explicitly stated. Those listening on the radio will be confused at times this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    the tv broadcast cannot hold a candle to hogans play by play.
    If Cuthbert or Miller are calling the game, and you believe they are inferior to Hogan, you are dead wrong. Hogie himself would not argue that.

If it's only because TV PBP is less descriptive, then I agree.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I hope the day comes soon for the Argos when it isn't 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Now hang on a minute - the TSN guys will know they are now also providing sound to a radio audience.
    And the sponsors will want to keep those listeners happily tuned in.
    So you can't tell me the TSN crew won't be upping their game - & I'm sure you'll hear a more descriptive telecast.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Now hang on a minute - the TSN guys will know they are now also providing sound to a radio audience.
    And the sponsors will want to keep those listeners happily tuned in.
    So you can't tell me the TSN crew won't be upping their game - & I'm sure you'll hear a more descriptive telecast.
    can they bring their A game? They have been sort of half assing it the last several years I have been watching.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Unfortunately, the Argos' radio broadcasts have had little to no value since TV blackouts were removed back in 1991. I recall that the removal of TV blackouts was done for a couple of home games back in 1988 and that is when CFRB pulled the plug on their long-standing relationship with the Argos.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    I really don't think the CRTC ruling on simulcasting had anything to do with this as the Argos radio broadcasts have not been economically viable for decades. Do you remember the year they had no radio coverage at all...I think around 1999 or 2000. It had gotten that bad, and word was out that the Argos were paying for their airtime. That won't drive radio sponsors to your product.

You definitely have several years on me if you remember listening to games in the 1960s and 1970s, but I'm pretty sure that Mel Profit had moved out of Toronto by the time Sazio became Argo GM and President in 1981. So it wouldn't have been him who influenced CFRB in their decision. I believe I've heard that happened during one of the late 70s seasons which saw Profit work as a radio analyst with Dave Hodge doing play-by-by....wow, talk about outspoken on-air talent, something that you hardly see and hear from today's company "yes" men.
    Wasn't Profit's final game on radio the season-ending loss to Hamilton in 1976 which put the Argos out of the playoffs again? Didn't he say something like Russ Jackson's offence could fit on the head of a pin? That was five years before Sazio became involved with the Argos.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    This is a terrible decision. Mike Hogan and company are a big part of the Argo family and he is my favourite sports radio personality. How can you throw aside someone who shows such passion for the game? This is a very big blow to the Argo ship in my opinion. I go to every home game, but I love listening to the post game show as I drive away. Hopefully they at least keep that portion of the show.
    Sports radio is killing itself really. I absolutely detest it when I hear programming just brought in from the US. We will never, ever hear anything about Canada while that is on. Sports radio hosts fall over themselves to interview American sports people and will talk endlessly about some college basketball when I am sure there are no more than 100 people in the country who care about it. Or talk about some linebacker for some NFL team and never, ever talk about our own league that way. I think this is what is killing their market. They may not think so. Please keep Mike Hogan. This move will only show that the Argos are cheap, cheap, cheap.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiedykstra View Post
    To be determined. This was a tough decision, but made in the best interest of our organization.
    No, maybe another nail in your coffin. Stinks and just makes you look cheap.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It was reassuring to the see the quantity of outrage voiced on Mike Hogan's Twitter account yesterday. Coast-to-coast colleagues and fans have expressed dismayed on this call. Dismantling the product hardly shows a renewed commitment to the future of the Argos. If anything, I thought adding an internet live stream to the radio broadcast would demonstrate renewed management to addressing demographic changes facing the local market.

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Seems to me almost everyone is making assumptions that is was entirely the Argos who made the decision. No one here actually knows the details, except for the one member.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Should have read "in the best interest of the bottom line of our organization"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    As Ravi correctly notes, radio broadcasts have been a declining asset since 1991 when the team began lifting TV blackouts. They were worth a lot when home games weren't telecast, much less so after that. Every Argo game, home and away, has been available on TV for several years now. Hard-core fans love the pre- and post-game shows, and some even listen in the stadium although I see far fewer people wearing headphones than I did back in the transistor radio era. But most fans are either at the game without access to radio, or watching on TV. A few turned down TV sound to replace Rod Black with Mike Hogan, but even that is difficult given that TV signals are mostly on a delay.

In a perfect world, we'd all have everything we want. In the real world, TSN is no longer producing its own radio programming in the evenings, and it very likely made little to no sense for the Argos to buy 72 hours worth of airtime when the listenership would be small and the likelihood of attracting new fans through radio even smaller.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argo ratings were not good, and this is a cold hard business decision. The media companies (5 main companies) are combining resources from coast to coast which has been very hard on radio and tv, but we are also seeing the same in the print business.

Conventional media usage is going through a revolutionary seismic realignment.

Bell has used the CRTC decision(s) to reason away some of their cost cutting moves. I believe they would happen regardless. The CRTC is weak and relatively useless anyway. They are pretty much a rubber stamp for licenses.

Simulcast won't improve or increase ratings, it will just improve the bottom line for the share holders reports. Simulcast has traditionally failed on terrestrial radio, but failure in presentation is no longer a consideration unless in a cash earning margin.

Argo fans have been marginalized. Toronto is a weak market for CFL Football, so you see it here first. Get ready for other markets to follow, unless they are selling enough time to circumvent the costs of productions, which are not cheap.

This is the new reality in the media business.