Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    If Cuthbert or Miller are calling the game, and you believe they are inferior to Hogan, you are dead wrong. Hogie himself would not argue that.

If it's only because TV PBP is less descriptive, then I agree.

The likes of Miller or Cuthbert are smooth, polished vet play-by-play guys; but they don't have near the football knowledge of a Mike Hogan who is certainly a very well spoken guy on the radio. Different animals though - calling a game on TV vs. radio.

Whenever I have the chance - i will turn down the sound on the TV and gladly listen to the radio broadcast of the game while still getting to watch on TV - unless the radio play-by-play guy and/or his commentator are useless or clueless - the radio commentary is usually 10x more informative and interesting than the pablum we get to hear a lot of times on TV commentary - like Glenn Suitor and his boring, repetitive, cliched game notes; or commentary on some boring and irrelevant sidelline or crowd shot that an idiot TV producer decides to chase; and listening to a Rod Black as a main play-by-play guy who calls half the CFL games = just brutal.

New Fan
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Level
    An Open letter to Michael Copeland,

You must understand the decision to simulcast the TSN TV broadcast of Argos games will destroy an acclaimed and valuable tradition. The power and the essence of radio play-by-play comes from that magical moment when an announcer translates the excitement, the emotion and the action on the field into something you can actually see as it plays out inside your imagination.

My summer memories echo with the static-tinged voices of Blue Jays broadcaster Tom Cheek and Argo legend Bob Bratina. These days, Jerry Howarth has taken up the torch from his late partner in the baseball booth and Mike Hogan’s passion and unparalleled knowledge of the CFL is a tribute to the best Canadian football broadcasters

I can’t imagine how different summers would have been if a radio station had decided to just simulcast the TV audio; no images, no palette of imagination, just disembodied voices discussing what they can see and you can’t. Sadly it appears that the Argos have decided to do just that. I’m stunned that a company so closely tied to sports radio lacks the fundamental understanding of the difference between “audio” and “radio broadcasting”.

New and emerging media has created a much wider variety of options for the sports fan but nothing has replaced the human voice and the creativity behind the best radio play-by-play announcers. It’s no coincidence that satellite radio is littered with dozens of stations focused solely on play-by-play. We spend so much time in our cars where the only option is radio. The smart phone may give us an opportunity to watch things in never-before available locations but it also keeps us tied to a screen and to our work. In those times at the desk, on the road or simply soaking up the summer, radio frees us from the small-screen shackles. It becomes a vital hands-free connection to the teams we follow. And we do follow them; with our hearts and with our growing wallets.

The simulcast option has been tried before with football and basketball and has failed miserably. In fact, it did more damage than anyone anticipated. I hope that the CFL and the Argos will realize that this is a mistake and reconsider providing radio play-by-play of the Toronto Argonauts games. If they continue down the simulcast path, they stand to do a great deal of damage to the Argos, their sponsors and to the still essential institution of radio.

Sincerely, Gord Hunter a lifelong Argos fan from Kingston, Ontario

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Argo ratings were not good, and this is a cold hard business decision. The media companies (5 main companies) are combining resources from coast to coast which has been very hard on radio and tv, but we are also seeing the same in the print business.

Conventional media usage is going through a revolutionary seismic realignment.

Bell has used the CRTC decision(s) to reason away some of their cost cutting moves. I believe they would happen regardless. The CRTC is weak and relatively useless anyway. They are pretty much a rubber stamp for licenses.

Simulcast won't improve or increase ratings, it will just improve the bottom line for the share holders reports. Simulcast has traditionally failed on terrestrial radio, but failure in presentation is no longer a consideration unless in a cash earning margin.

Argo fans have been marginalized. Toronto is a weak market for CFL Football, so you see it here first. Get ready for other markets to follow, unless they are selling enough time to circumvent the costs of productions, which are not cheap.

This is the new reality in the media business.
    We always love travelling to Regina for Argos football games. A Rider's fan tweeted yesterday to Mike Hogan that in addition to game radio Play-by-Play, Regina has TWO (2) radio stations that do pre-game ad post-game shows! Love the West and support for CFL football.

Bombers announce profit of $2.8 million in 2016. I think their radio show is safe for now, too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post

Bombers announce profit of $2.8 million in 2016. I think their radio show is safe for now, too.
    From what I understand, This doesn't include their 4.5M payment for the stadium.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    From what I understand, This doesn't include their 4.5M payment for the stadium.
    I'll check when I read their annual report. The reports are public documents. No speculation required.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gordhunter View Post
    If they continue down the simulcast path, they stand to do a great deal of damage to the Argos, their sponsors and to the still essential institution of radio.
    This was a passionate response, and welcome aboard, Gord. But how, exactly, would this damage the Argos, their sponsors and radio? It seems to me that the ratings for radio broadcasts on this market are likely very low, and radio is under the same threat as every other platform that relies on either subscription revenue or ad revenue. Are there any potential fans who would tune in and be turned off by a simulcast? I tend to doubt it.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    This is a terrible decision. Mike Hogan and company are a big part of the Argo family and he is my favourite sports radio personality. How can you throw aside someone who shows such passion for the game? This is a very big blow to the Argo ship in my opinion. I go to every home game, but I love listening to the post game show as I drive away. Hopefully they at least keep that portion of the show.
    Sports radio is killing itself really. I absolutely detest it when I hear programming just brought in from the US. We will never, ever hear anything about Canada while that is on. Sports radio hosts fall over themselves to interview American sports people and will talk endlessly about some college basketball when I am sure there are no more than 100 people in the country who care about it. Or talk about some linebacker for some NFL team and never, ever talk about our own league that way. I think this is what is killing their market. They may not think so. Please keep Mike Hogan. This move will only show that the Argos are cheap, cheap, cheap.
    You're right on about the piped in US blabber mouths. They lose me real fast. But it is probably a cost saving move.

New Fan
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 12

Level
    Thanks Paul. I see the damage to the Argos as the loss of an avenue of communication and connection and a marketing/promotion tool for their fans. I don't think radio develops a ton of new fans but for fans like me and I'm assuming most on this board, it keeps them engaged and helps to "upsell" fans from listeners to ticket holders, possibly even season ticket holders. Radio ratings are very tricky to gauge. I'd hazard a guess they're better than you'd think but ratings don't matter when the company selling to to advertisers considers their own platform so minor that they're willing to use something from an entirely different style of media. That apathy towards radio will keep sponsors away in droves. As someone else said, it seems as if TSN has thrown in the towel on their radio properties with recent decisions like this and the use of syndicated programming in what most radio stations consider prime listening hours.
    As to your last question, "Are there any potential fans who would tune in and be turned off by a simulcast?" Absolutely. Just have a look through social media responses about this decision and even on this board. No user of ANY service wants to spend time, energy or effort to consume a product that was never intended for them. Would you buy a newspaper that simply published links to websites? That's essentially what TSN is doing, "You can listen to us describe the game to our much more important TV viewers."

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    ^ but it's the most loyal fans who are the most vocal on twitter. And the games will still be broadcasted, just not with Hogan and co. The Argos need to get the casual fan out to games and this decision won't affect that. It only affects the hardcore fans who loved listening on the radio and will probably continue doing so because it's what they do best.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    ^ but it's the most loyal fans who are the most vocal on twitter. And the games will still be broadcasted, just not with Hogan and co. The Argos need to get the casual fan out to games and this decision won't affect that. It only affects the hardcore fans who loved listening on the radio and will probably continue doing so because it's what they do best.
    IMO this is a slippery slope. No Team Shop, no pre-game, post-game and play-by-play experience. I have never before experienced a company in the entertainment business that so often reminded me that it is a business. Not live theatre. Nowhere have I seen this! How often have I heard the word sad and Argos in the media. Wonderful.

TV simulcast is a horrible substitute. I sure hope that they save a tonne of money doing this and it ultimately benefits the survival of the Argos, because I don't see anywhere the marketing resurgence. Talk is cheap. Show me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    IMO this is a slippery slope. No Team Shop, no pre-game, post-game and play-by-play experience. I have never before experienced a company in the entertainment business that so often reminded me that it is a business. Not live theatre. Nowhere have I seen this! How often have I heard the word sad and Argos in the media. Wonderful.

TV simulcast is a horrible substitute. I sure hope that they save a tonne of money doing this and it ultimately benefits the survival of the Argos, because I don't see anywhere the marketing resurgence. Talk is cheap. Show me.
    The Argos ARE on a slippery slope. Properties, in this day and age, are looked at as 'content' providers by giant media companies that hire temporary mercenary businessmen/CEO's who deliver on the bottom line -- for giant bonuses. Then they move along. Losing 'is' slippery. Easy to fall, tough to climb.

The Argos must install a winning football program and hope for the best. That doesn't guarantee a thing, but it's the only option. It'll be a huge challenge and they'll have to do it, in many areas, with their hands tied behind their backs.

If Copeland can convince them money can be made, then once they start putting some bums in seats, maybe we see the return of a crew and it's production?

Ironically, the Argos are owned, in part, by a communications company. That is how bad it is. They simply don't venture into anything that doesn't make money. The Argos are on the clock.

Achievements:
    Level

Would you be you prepared to absorb the losses of having a team shop? And where? BMO is a horrible location and great locations will cost crazy rent. Best they can do is get into the Adidas store, in which Sara Moore said is the plan. It should be no surprise that there's no demand for retailers to carry Argos gear based on a lack of demand.

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Would you be you prepared to absorb the losses of having a team shop? And where? BMO is a horrible location and great locations will cost crazy rent. Best they can do is get into the Adidas store, in which Sara Moore said is the plan. It should be no surprise that there's no demand for retailers to carry Argos gear based on a lack of demand.
    Perhaps there would be more demand (especially from the die hards) if there was more selection -- even if only available online. I (for one), have enough t-shirts, sweaters and hats to get me through each home game without duplication -- I didn't purchase anything new last season and have no intentions of doing so this season unless some unique merchandise becomes available. There are lots of ideas to be had, all one has to do is look to the Riders store or even Tigertown.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan81 View Post
    Perhaps there would be more demand (especially from the die hards) if there was more selection -- even if only available online. I (for one), have enough t-shirts, sweaters and hats to get me through each home game without duplication -- I didn't purchase anything new last season and have no intentions of doing so this season unless some unique merchandise becomes available. There are lots of ideas to be had, all one has to do is look to the Riders store or even Tigertown.
    Hard to sell variety when the sales aren't there. How much inventory will become dead stock and liquidated?

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Hard to sell variety when the sales aren't there. How much inventory will become dead stock and liquidated?
    I (respectfully) disagree. I find that it is the affordable novelty (unique) items that do sell. Every time some one posts on here about unique Argo items being available, the items sell our rather quickly. It is the t-shirts sweaters, hats, jerseys that don't move well because let's face it, how many of these items does one really need?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    There is no evidence anyone is making money selling Argo merchandise -- not the team, the league, the stores. But there is evidence that the last time a major retailer, National Sports, stocked a lot of Argo and Ticat merch (2006-07), it ended up blowing out the stock at rock-bottom prices.

I still believe the Argos can build up a big enough fanbase and develop a high enough profile in the market that some merchandise will be in demand and be stocked by retailers. But those two things have to happen BEFORE retailers will jump on board in any meaningful way, and it's all part of what I originally described as a 3- to 5-year rebuild, which now seems like it may take longer than that.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    There is no evidence anyone is making money selling Argo merchandise -- not the team, the league, the stores. But there is evidence that the last time a major retailer, National Sports, stocked a lot of Argo and Ticat merch (2006-07), it ended up blowing out the stock at rock-bottom prices.

I still believe the Argos can build up a big enough fanbase and develop a high enough profile in the market that some merchandise will be in demand and be stocked by retailers. But those two things have to happen BEFORE retailers will jump on board in any meaningful way, and it's all part of what I originally described as a 3- to 5-year rebuild, which now seems like it may take longer than that.
    Maybe some retailers need to see big demand to stock Argo items; but it not just about that and individual retailers can make up their own minds on carrying items / taking chances without it being dictated by a bean counter somewhere.

There are some small sports shops here that carry plenty of NCAA college sports gear - hats, Ts & hoodies, etc., and I pretty well guarantee there is not huge demand for Nebraska or NC Tar Heels merchandise in Ottawa; those items are stocked because the owner of that store is a fan / wannabe of US college sports and he stocks those items for a FEW like minded sports fans.

Retailers in Toronto might typically not want to carry Argo merchandise because they see and are part of the CFL is inferior/not cool culture that exists there. And the Argos need to work hard to fight the wannabes and the poor image they suffer from. And one or a few retailers could be IMO convinced or cajoled into carrying some Argo merchandise, and maybe it gains momentum from there. The pathetic, defeated Argos are nothing / not worthy attitude in their own town / part of the map has got to go; and the Argos could use some sharp marketing/sales efforts (even something like getting pocket scheds available at retailers like The Beer Store )- and it takes some good people to go to work there; not going to happen if you are too cheap or make no effort.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    To return to the original theme, I will miss the radio broadcast and especially the pre game and post games shows. In spite of the slight broadcast delay, it was always preferable to turn the TV audio down and listen to the play by play on the radio. Firstly, IMO Hogan's broadcast was more knowledgeable and professional than TSN's and secondly, Hogan would specifically concentrate on the Argo play, which gave insight into the game from an Argo perspective. Of course, it is a money issue but it still is another reason to question how committed the organization is, to providing the fans a high quality experience. It is my understanding, only the Argos will be without a true team radio program. Wonder if other teams will follow this short sighted money saving approach?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan81 View Post
    problem is that Diehards account for such a small minority of the population. Even Leaf diehards are in the minority, but they have the huge advantage of having a very high amount of casual fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    To return to the original theme,
    Great point. Sorry that I always get sucked into hijacking of threads.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It's a sad day for Argo play by play, as simulcast tried many times in the sports world clearly does not work.