Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I am sorry but being this upset about a broadcast on radio turning into a simulcast is an overreaction. It is the same situation as merchandise for the CFL in Toronto in stores which has been pointed out. We are all true double blue fans here but if there are not the ratings and sales in the case of merchandise then no business person would fill there store or radio station with this content.

Last year I bought 4 Argo items at the Adidas store at Yonge Dundas Square. I did that because I want to support the team and forfeited my season ticket discount. If it doesn't see it will not be stocked and if the ratings are not large enough changes need to be made. I cannot remember the year but there was a year or two when the Argos had no radio broadcasts at all... remember that! That was sad and that is something to be outraged about. I did not hear any mention that there would not be a pre and post game radio show.

What I don't like is the second there is change for whatever reason everyone want to jump off the good ship Argonaut. Hopefully progress will be made. The brand will be built up over the next few years. The stands will be full every game and merchandise will fly off the shelves. Until then these tough descisions need to be made and I think we shouldn't overreact. I watch most CFL game throughout the year on TV and rarely listen to them on the Radio. I do enjoy the post and pre game shows so I hope they have some version of this still on the radio.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Will this move mean that an immediate drop of 50% of the media at Argos press conferences? Will Frank Zicarelli, Toronto Sun be responsible for all the questions now? Often, Hoagie asked half the questions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    I am sorry but being this upset about a broadcast on radio turning into a simulcast is an overreaction. It is the same situation as merchandise for the CFL in Toronto in stores which has been pointed out. We are all true double blue fans here but if there are not the ratings and sales in the case of merchandise then no business person would fill there store or radio station with this content.

Last year I bought 4 Argo items at the Adidas store at Yonge Dundas Square. I did that because I want to support the team and forfeited my season ticket discount. If it doesn't see it will not be stocked and if the ratings are not large enough changes need to be made. I cannot remember the year but there was a year or two when the Argos had no radio broadcasts at all... remember that! That was sad and that is something to be outraged about. I did not hear any mention that there would not be a pre and post game radio show.

What I don't like is the second there is change for whatever reason everyone want to jump off the good ship Argonaut. Hopefully progress will be made. The brand will be built up over the next few years. The stands will be full every game and merchandise will fly off the shelves. Until then these tough descisions need to be made and I think we shouldn't overreact. I watch most CFL game throughout the year on TV and rarely listen to them on the Radio. I do enjoy the post and pre game shows so I hope they have some version of this still on the radio.
    If the current play-by-play people aren't coming back, where would the personnel come from for pre- post games shows?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    If the current play-by-play people aren't coming back, where would the personnel come from for pre- post games shows?
    TSN Radio have many host of shows and so does the CFL on TSN. Could be anyone or could be none. No one said there would be no pre or post game show so why assume the worst. What about TSN 1150 in Hamilton? Maybe one of there people like Jim Tate could do it. Maybe Mike Hogan could still do it. It is in the team and TSN's best interest to have something pre and post game.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    TSN Radio have many host of shows and so does the CFL on TSN. Could be anyone or could be none. No one said there would be no pre or post game show so why assume the worst. What about TSN 1150 in Hamilton? Maybe one of there people like Jim Tate could do it. Maybe Mike Hogan could still do it. It is in the team and TSN's best interest to have something pre and post game.
    MIke wasn't informed that the radio show was changing. He thanked everybody for the fifteen years as the show was ending. Great call by the braintrust. Especially in the critical turnound period.

Since the traditional media has abandoned the Argos, this wasn't even covered, it's essential that outrage be expressed. If there isn't any outrage, than this speaks volumes, too!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'd be surprised if there are pre game and post game shows --they would cost money and we seem to be in a penny pinching mode right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I have always liked Mike Hogan, doesn't seem to have an ego and comes across as a regular sports fan (which in this day and age is quite refreshing), he seems to have no luck at times.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I have always liked Mike Hogan, doesn't seem to have an ego and comes across as a regular sports fan (which in this day and age is quite refreshing), he seems to have no luck at times.
    You have perfectly described Hogie, and that is what I really like about him too.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    we seem to be in a penny pinching mode right now.
    This certainly wasn't the impression Mr. Copeland left at the open mic. He was pretty clear that ownership understands you have to spend money to make money. He said a big reason the Argonaut brand has fallen so far in this city is because previous owners skimped on communications and marketing, making the whole organization look second-rate. He boasted how front-office staff has grown from 20-something to 50-something people. He wants the city to know the Argonauts organization would be nothing but first class moving forward.

Well it's a good thing the Hogan PxP dump didn't get picked up by the media, because it sounds like a move the old, second-rate, penny-pinching Argonaut administrations would have made. For god's sake Hogan is the best friend the Argonauts have in the local media, bar none. PR rule #1: cultivate your media friends, don't fvcking punish them. Surely a couple of those extra bodies fetching coffee at 10 Lower Spadina could have been exchanged for keeping the radio broadcasts.

Boatman
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Absolutely agree Rich! I was not able to attend the Open Mic event but it is encouraging to hear that Mr. Copeland shared the intention of the organization to spend money on communications and marketing. What is perplexing at the very least is that just a few short weeks later they dump their most loyal and supportive media personality from their PxP broadcast which once again proves that they were just words from Copeland. Although TSN and Bell say they want the Argos to succeed and grow as a brand in the GTA, their actions continue to demonstrate the exact opposite.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Growing up as a kid listening to the Argo games on CFRB before I was actually able to attend games it is disappointing for me to not have local broadcasters doing the Argo games. Back then the players were bigger than life to me as heard on the radio. But I admit when home and the games are on I generally watch the telecasts, but there are times I am driving when an away game is on and appreciate the radio broadcasts. Not very good PR IMO to just pick up the TV feed even though they are probably saving a few bucks.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:

Level
    Let's not forget - to get PxP radio time you need SPONSORS!
    Maybe our blame is misdirected - or at least we need to be a bit more understanding of the realities...?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    are we sure this is all argos fault? Hoagie would have been a tsn employee. if tsn is not making money on it's argos broadcast, they would have to find some cost savings and simulcasting the broadcast would be one of the ways.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    None of us knows the full story, but it seems fairly easy to connect the dots. Bell seems to be slowly bailing out of its sports-radio investment because TSN1050 has lousy ratings (as does the Fan except for McCown -- sports talk may be a dying entity, at least in Toronto). TSN 1050 has no locally originated programming in the evenings other than Leafs and Raptors broadcasts. The radio side of Bell may have told the Argos they would be happy to sell them airtime but it would mean Argos buying 72 hours of programming, plus paying all production costs. A cost-benefit analysis may have determined that the number of new fans reachable through radio play by play was far below what would be required to justify the cost.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TOBenfica View Post
    are we sure this is all argos fault? Hoagie would have been a tsn employee. if tsn is not making money on it's argos broadcast, they would have to find some cost savings and simulcasting the broadcast would be one of the ways.

Argo Broadcast rights have not been worth much, if anything, in a decade or more. Probably more like 15 years. They've been batted around a bunch....CFRB, Talk 640 (When I worked for the team), 1050 Chum.

Not much corporate interest. PD and GM's in radio see it as something they have to contend with, and it's often met with indifference/ or as a burden.

The stations aren't crazy interested in selling time on a product that isn't selling, or is hard to sell.

Rates get lower and lower, and they its sometimes an easy call to go to a lower cost music/ or syndicated program as opposed to 2-3 talent fees, plus 2-3 crew fees. You have an automated product on air, or 1 host or Op as opposed to 5-6 people and remote incidentals and production to pay.

So in effect the cost is 3 or 4 times more, so the ad time has to cover. And clearly, it wasn't.

My guess is, that this was an easy call for BELL, as it is part of their content mantra. Put money into the moneymaker.

The only solution is more interest in the team.

Popp and Trestman was a good start. But it will still take a few years, and lots of hard work. It's do able, but it won't be easy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    This does not help their image. A first class organization would have a pre-game and post game and play by play. And the owner is a broadcaster. I assume they intend to have future fans. If so they need to have content to provide these fans. Anything less looks bush league and unprofessional. Does TFC have radio play by play? Their numbers would be less than Argo numbers. The fans of TFC are already at the stadium. They don't watch on TV and likely not listening on radio. So why invest in them and not the Argos?
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    None of us knows the full story, but it seems fairly easy to connect the dots. Bell seems to be slowly bailing out of its sports-radio investment because TSN1050 has lousy ratings (as does the Fan except for McCown -- sports talk may be a dying entity, at least in Toronto). TSN 1050 has no locally originated programming in the evenings other than Leafs and Raptors broadcasts. The radio side of Bell may have told the Argos they would be happy to sell them airtime but it would mean Argos buying 72 hours of programming, plus paying all production costs. A cost-benefit analysis may have determined that the number of new fans reachable through radio play by play was far below what would be required to justify the cost.
    I'd bet that more than doubling the size of the office staff didn't pass a cost-benefit analysis either, but they did it anyway. Why? Because you need to act like a first-class organization in order to be perceived as one. What really rankles is the relatively small costs of the local radio broadcast: 5 hours of work for 5 or 6 people 20 times a year, plus the cost of cheap evening or weekend airtime. Seems like such a small price to pay for a 5-hour platform for the Argonauts biggest media fan sharing his enthusiasm for the team and the CFL each and every game.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'd bet that more than doubling the size of the office staff didn't pass a cost-benefit analysis either, but they did it anyway.
    Or because Braley fired them all, when in fact the roles he removed are actually deemed necessary - like a marketing team.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree with ArgoGabe.
    Maybe Braley can be thanked for keeping the team alive - but he certainly put them on a starvation diet!!

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos would be better served to live stream their games via Spotify, Apple Radio or via Twitters platforms.

Unfortunately younger consumers do not digest content the same way as my parents or most of the Argos current crowd digests it.

It would be cool if the Argo did partner with a Spotify and the streaming services to have Mike provide content on game day.

I get the business point of this and I think it makes sense for where they are in the marketplace at the moment. The money for the radio broadcasts

would be better served having events with the current fan base and focusing in on the 4 or 5k season ticket holders they have. If they start

treating those 5k season ticket holders with the best customer service in the world renewals rates will all of a sudden go from 50% to 95% and

slowly we will get back to 10 and 15k SSH's. That is when Radio Partners will come back