Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed Hervey Fired

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Ed Hervey Fired

Are the Esks gonna get crapped on like the Argos did? Doesn't seem like it's so sunny over in Edmonton with Rhodes. P.S. Can we get Argos alumni to post here?

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/07/eskimos-part-ways-gm-ed-hervey/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Are the Esks gonna get crapped on like the Argos did? Doesn't seem like it's so sunny over in Edmonton with Rhodes. P.S. Can we get Argos alumni to post here?

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/07/eskimos-part-ways-gm-ed-hervey/

ArgoGabe22 are you suggesting that the Argos situation should be compared to the Eskie's situation. I'm counting 10 missteps on the Argos front and last count, 3,500 STH left. I was at a Commonwealth Stadium Argo game recently and marvelled by all aspects of their CFL product. Do the other CFL teams have missteps, of course. Can you possibly group the recent Argos operations with a non-BC Lion western team? Hardly. We used to be hated out there. Now they just feel sorry for us remaining fans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Now they just feel sorry for us remaining fans.
    That's ok. Over the years, I've felt sorry for Stamps fans (save the stamps telethons in the mid 80's), Riders fans (same) and even Ti-Cats fans (how often were they rumoured to die before Bob Young?). Ottawa lost their team twice. Things happen.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Achievements:
    Level
    ArgoGabe22 are you suggesting that the Argos situation should be compared to the Eskie's situation. I'm counting 10 missteps on the Argos front and last count, 3,500 STH left. I was at a Commonwealth Stadium Argo game recently and marvelled by all aspects of their CFL product. Do the other CFL teams have missteps, of course. Can you possibly group the recent Argos operations with a non-BC Lion western team? Hardly. We used to be hated out there. Now they just feel sorry for us remaining fans.
    I was more referring to firing your GM at a strange time and how Copeland got criticized harshly for. Deservedly so but will CFL fans criticize Rhodes for doing the same?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I was more referring to firing your GM at a strange time and how Copeland got criticized harshly for. Deservedly so but will CFL fans criticize Rhodes for doing the same?
    I think that Rhodes made a good move here. I think that a major reason why attendance has been stagnant, at best, in Edmonton is because Hervey restricted access to players to the media and, ultimately, the fans. The biggest problem with this move though is the timing which is far worse than what happened with the Argos.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I think that Rhodes made a good move here. I think that a major reason why attendance has been stagnant, at best, in Edmonton is because Hervey restricted access to players to the media and, ultimately, the fans. The biggest problem with this move though is the timing which is far worse than what happened with the Argos.
    Interesting to read some comments today that none of Hervey's draft picks over 4 years at the helm are starters. Yet they were still able to win a Grey Cup. Very interesting.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't think the Eskies timing on this move was anywhere near as bad as Argos dismissal of JB. It looks like the Eskies got all the FAs they were going after. It appeared to be a stable management to FAs who signed.

Eskies probably have their draft selections prioritized. In fact, timing was probably exactly when Rhodes wanted to pull the trigger. Under Rhodes, you can't complain about Eskies results.

""However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Len Rhodes' press conference was very impressive.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-115...eason-1.718474

The Eskies are a close second to the Oilers in the Edmonton market. They're very concerned with a drop off 3% in attendance coming off the 2015 Grey Cup win. They attributed this to a restrictive access policy under GM Hersey. Large media turnout. Len even handled a couple of questions in the French language. The Eskies are regarded as a well run community owned CFL team. Hats off for the progressive move and the unwillingness to except less than their high standards.

Their last published financials show display a team running on all cylinders: http://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net...areholders.pdf

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    If GM Barker were hired as an interim GM, the Argos might have found a savings from the commitment on his salary.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Glad to see the negativity towards the Argos is continuing even in a non Argos thread. We get that some don't like Copeland and that anything less than Pinball is unacceptable. Personally, I'd love to see the negativity if not gone completely, at the very least given a rest.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    How about I stay positive about the progress of the Eskies, the preferred destination of Argos FAs. They continue to excel and have stretch goals, and not settling for anything less than progress? The Argos are not to be held accountable? The 5th Estate no longer cares about the team in Toronto. If the fans aren't critical of their mistakes, then who holds the accountable? This is hardly airing dirty laundry in public.

Should we all just grasp our hands together and all sing Kumbaya??

Where I come from, the customer is always right. This is an Argofans forum isn't it, or I am at risk to get banned for mentioning Argo's shortcomings on a CFL thread?
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 04-08-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    How about I stay positive about the progress of the Eskies, the preferred destination of Argos FAs. They continue to excel and have stretch goals, and not settling for anything less than progress? The Argos are not to be held accountable? The 5th Estate no longer cares about the team in Toronto. If the fans aren't critical of their mistakes, then who holds the accountable?

Should we all just grasp our hands together and all sing
    Kumbaya??

Where I come from, the customer is always right. This is an Argofans forum isn't it? Am I at risk to get banned mentioning Argos on a CFL thread?
    Angelo's post was a suggestion, not a command.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I know lots of goodwill was created by an exclusive invite to 46 Argofans.com, but what is different for 2017? We're well into April and I watch the fan engagement events across the league during season ticket sales. Have I missed something locally?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Len Rhodes' press conference was very impressive.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-115...eason-1.718474

The Eskies are a close second to the Oilers in the Edmonton market. They're very concerned with a drop off 3% in attendance coming off the 2015 Grey Cup win. They attributed this to a restrictive access policy under GM Hersey. Large media turnout. Len even handled a couple of questions in the French language. The Eskies are regarded as a well run community owned CFL team. Hats off for the progressive move and the unwillingness to except less than their high standards.

Their last published financials show display a team running on all cylinders: http://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net...areholders.pdf
    I was surprised by Hervey's firing, but, as in most jobs, most firings have to do more with other things than competence. Terry Jones argues that the ego fight between Hervey, Rhodes and others was central to the termination.

Ed Hervey was an exceptional head of football operations and an equally excellent general manager of the Edmonton Eskimos. So why in the world was he fired Friday?
    Hervey thought he was all nine members of the board of governors, the president, the CEO, the director of marketing, public relations and media relations and apparently wanted to be compensated as such. As good as he was as vice-president of football ops and GM, Hervey was equally inept at all the other jobs, especially the one involving media relations.
    Hervey found out there was a line to how far he could go bullying his bosses Friday. ...
    “Two major reasons drove this decision,” said Rhodes. “First, both parties could not agree to contact extension terms. Secondly, there are differences in philosophy over the way we do business. During the course of recent negotiations for a possible contract extension, it became clear that we would be unable to meet Ed’s expectations.”
    The problem with Hervey has been the problem with much of the league these last four years or so. Football ops has been running the show. Ed Hervey was running Len Rhodes’ show and even the show of board chairman John Moquin and the other eight governors.
    If the Eskimos do their homework in hiring Hervey’s successor, thanks to the job Hervey did, his replacement will be way ahead of the game. The next general manager after U.S. scout Paul Jones takes the team through the draft and tryout camps as interim GM, will move into an excellent situation if he’s smart enough to not reinvent the wheel.
    And the next GM has a very good map of where not to go and what not to do.
    Hervey, who almost entirely refused to do media availabilities other than at the mid-season mark of the schedule, was a complete contrast to the likes of Norm Kimball and Hugh Campbell, who were always available. Kimball went so far as to tell your correspondent to call him at 4 a.m. if a breaking story needed team reaction.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/fo...e-eskimos-door
    Last edited by jerrym; 04-08-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    A lot of fans aren't happy with Rhodes in Edmonton. I personally think he made Hervey the scapegoat.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Like most big decisions, those making it better be right, or they wear it. Hats off to Edmonton for excellence. If you haven't been out to Commonwealth Stadium and interacted with their fans and the opportunity arises, take it. It's a lot of fun.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I was surprised by Hervey's firing, but, as in most jobs, most firings have to do more with other things than competence. Terry Jones argues that the ego fight between Hervey, Rhodes and others was central to the termination.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/fo...e-eskimos-door
    Thanks for this JerryM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    How about I stay positive about the progress of the Eskies, the preferred destination of Argos FAs. They continue to excel and have stretch goals, and not settling for anything less than progress? The Argos are not to be held accountable? The 5th Estate no longer cares about the team in Toronto. If the fans aren't critical of their mistakes, then who holds the accountable? This is hardly airing dirty laundry in public.

Should we all just grasp our hands together and all sing Kumbaya??

Where I come from, the customer is always right. This is an Argofans forum isn't it, or I am at risk to get banned for mentioning Argo's shortcomings on a CFL thread?
    Personally, I think you're full of it. Last year was last year. It's been over for a while. Get over it.
    You have an issue with Copeland, so you have nothing good to say about anything concerning the team. If Pinball was in charge, and made the exact same decisions that Copeland has, you would be 100% behind it. No idea what Copeland has personally done to you, but it must have been a doozy for you to go on and on and on about it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Let's be very clear,
    1. I know very "Pinball" remains unavailable to work for the new Argos. If he was hired, he wouldn't get a pass from me either.
    2. Copeland has done nothing to me. I am pretty sure he is a pretty nice fella.
    3. Your continuing ability to give the Argos a free pass is admirable.
    4. No comments made here are about last year..
    5. I will limit my comments to positive CFL and other team moves on this link.
    6. I don't care what you think of me personally, but I do think those thoughts don't belong here.
    7. I have yet to see any resembling progress from broad fan engagement from the Argos. The Argo Fans' Day Town Hall meeting that was discussed here was to be on the first week of March to fill the vacuum that Dec - Feb became. It will now be held very late, on May 15th. The broad fan base has been disengaged since early November.
    8. I am happy you met with management and shared with them what a swell job they were doing. Too bad they didn't ax Mike and the radio show before the meeting. I guess the place for cost cutting was on fan engagement and not the 100% additional HQ overhead.
    9. I will remain furious about the state of the Argos as long as STH number below 5,000, games are empty and the franchises like Ottawa, Hamilton in the east fill their stadiums and have exceptional game day experiences. And that goes for anyone in charge.
    10. Finally, it doesn't matter what you or I think, at the end of this season they will have excuted on their business plan and tangible progress will be made, or this discussion will have ended because a new management team will replace them.
    End of story.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 04-09-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    FWIW Pinball got hired by the Argos in an advisory role.