Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
I like Buckley - good QB talent and was very impressive last ex.game for the Stumps - we shall see if he really wins the #2 job there.

However - anybody who believes that the only reason he is there with the Stamps is just because of "talent" - like he is/was the clear cut best CIS QB of the past decade or so and that's why he is getting a CFL shot, are seriously deluded IMO. Good for the Stamps for giving him a shot and he was playing right in there own backyard for them to scout, but sorry, there have been several other CIS QBs with as good or better QB skills than Buckley in the past few years, let alone decades, and basically none of them have been given a real CFL TC shot to compete for a job.

When several CFL teams yearly start giving top notch Canadian QB talent real TCs shots to compete - I'll believe there has been some real change on this file. Not happening - lately, now or doubtful in the forseeable future. Same old GOB CFL. ;o)
So why would he be named the backup if not for his talent? there is no advantage or incentive to have a Canadian, he doesn't count against the ratio.
CFL teams will start giving "top notch" Canadian QB talent a real shot if they can find "top notch" Canadian QBs.
CIS QBs may shine in the CIS but they don't face the talent that an NCAA QB has to face, the bigger stronger defences, faster strong pass rushes, longer season more games and longer practice schedules, NCAA QBs are better coached and it's a full time job when you get an NCAA scholarship.
CIS QBs are usually in shock when they get to a CFL training camp and they are facing the bigger, faster, stronger ex-NFL or ex NCAA defences, they have never had to face players of that quality.
Sorry but CIS QBs just don't match up against the superior NCAA and ex-NFL QBs. I think it's great that Buckley has overcome the adversity and earned a backup in the CFL.
Buckley proves the point you are trying to make that the CFL does give "top notch" QB talent a real shot. Too bad there are not more "top notch" Canadians out there.