Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

CFL Trying to Remove/Reduce Canadians in CLFPA Negotiations

The latest CFL Offer is now trying to completely get rid of the Canadian Ratio, reduce Canadians and Veteran Americans on the roster, in addition to a whole lot of other ridiculous items in latest proposal. This has been reported by 3DownNation, Dan Barnes, and Arash Madani via Sportcage. It's to no surprise, nothing is on the TSN site, just some small tweets somewhat playing things down from Naylor and Lalji.

If there is one thing Ambrosie and his cronies (in this case, Wade Miller and Scott Mitchell) are good at is, killing a brand.

3Down Article
    https://3downnation.com/2022/05/05/c...s-association/

Dan Barnes Article
    https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...ers-hit-a-wall

SportsCage with Arash Madani (it's about 10 minutes in)
    https://c1.futuripost.com/ckrm/playl...sc_ref=twitter

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wow, league going scorched-earth here. Obviously the PA will never agree to this.

Though I get why the league wants to reduce paying the premiums that Canadian starters get and pay Americans more -- they're worried the USFL and/or XFL will have staying power this time around.
    https://www.tsn.ca/player-recruitmen...-cfl-1.1795594

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well, hopefully this is just a combo of typical labour negotiations hard-ball and hyperbole, AND some typical Canadian inferiority complex media people trying to stir things up ...

... BUT, I have a very bad feeling about the future of the CFL that I have been a huge fan / follower of for 5 decades plus. The talk of an XFL merger, going to American rules (they got the hash-marks changed, there was the 4 down talk) and getting rid of Canadian players (the clueless, gullbile dupes who believe they would "get to play if they're good enough" = just mind-boggling to me and zero grasp of how that works and who has been in place in the CFL in that department for decades) ... leads me to believe something very bad is going to happen for the old CFL. It might exist in some form , with a new & improved "business model", and I wonder about MLSE's role in all of this (Argos - since 1873 = owned by a pathetic gang of corporate clowns and American wannabes) but it will be see ya later & pi$$-off from me. Not another nickel spent or second of my time. I'll still be able to watch some U Sports or Junior ball to watch real Canadian football, and if I want to watch the best American players play their game, I'll continue to get to watch the NFL.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Well, hopefully this is just a combo of typical labour negotiations hard-ball and hyperbole, AND some typical Canadian inferiority complex media people trying to stir things up ...

... BUT, I have a very bad feeling about the future of the CFL that I have been a huge fan / follower of for 5 decades plus. The talk of an XFL merger, going to American rules (they got the hash-marks changed, there was the 4 down talk) and getting rid of Canadian players (the clueless, gullbile dupes who believe they would "get to play if they're good enough" = just mind-boggling to me and zero grasp of how that works and who has been in place in the CFL in that department for decades) ... leads me to believe something very bad is going to happen for the old CFL. It might exist in some form , with a new & improved "business model", and I wonder about MLSE's role in all of this (Argos - since 1873 = owned by a pathetic gang of corporate clowns and American wannabes) but it will be see ya later & pi$$-off from me. Not another nickel spent or second of my time. I'll still be able to watch some U Sports or Junior ball to watch real Canadian football, and if I want to watch the best American players play their game, I'll continue to get to watch the NFL.
    I agree with OV Argo. If they lower or eliminate the ratio it will be the end of the CFL for me after being a fan for over 50 years. I will watch U Sports for the Canadian content and the NFL for the best American players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ski View Post
    I agree with OV Argo. If they lower or eliminate the ratio it will be the end of the CFL for me after being a fan for over 50 years. I will watch U Sports for the Canadian content and the NFL for the best American players.
    I'm leaning in the same direction. It'd mean two fewer STs for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Freezing the salary cap for 10 years sounds reasonable. Cost of living should remain the same over that time. Good work guys, lets put the CFL out of business.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Freezing the salary cap for 10 years sounds reasonable. Cost of living should remain the same over that time. Good work guys, lets put the CFL out of business.
    My guess is that claim is probably not 100% accurate. Maybe there are no guaranteed cap increases, but I bet there is room for increases tied to revenues.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I'm leaning in the same direction. It'd mean two fewer STs for the Argos.
    We're with you guys (OV, j-ski, Mocha)... we would also cancel our STs as well. For this year, we already have multiple group outings planned, plus recently got approval for doing a corporate event at a game, but we would cancel all of these, which is unfortunate.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    CFL management is obviously relying on the Onion report that said the Ukraine war will be over by June and gas will drop to 5 cents per barrel.

Problem is that U-Sports football is in an even more precarious position right now due to 50 years of internal disinterest and mismanagement. If worst case were to happen and the CFL disappeared, I bet a number of schools would use that as an excuse to mothball football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    This league continuously gets in its own way, nothing like building anticipation for the upcoming season with last minute CBA negotiations that includes a generous offer from the league to virtually eliminate any Canadian content in the CANADIAN Football League and no pay raise for the next 10 years, stop the insanity and get your sh*t together guys!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    This league continuously gets in its own way, nothing like building anticipation for the upcoming season with last minute CBA negotiations that includes a generous offer from the league to virtually eliminate any Canadian content in the CANADIAN Football League and no pay raise for the next 10 years, stop the insanity and get your sh*t together guys!
    BOG & GOB apologists are going to tell you these are just normal negotiating tactics and the CFL was perfectly right to leave it till the last second and try to give the players nothing or take away Canadians ... after all, this is just good "business" practice, and the CFL is a business just like any other; and besides, unions are evil or full of commies or some other small c boogeymen. Tough $hite CFL fans; and guess what - ticket & concession prices just had to be raised.

What a total F-ing joke the CFL has evolved to in terms or leadership & owners. Pathetic.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    CFL management is obviously relying on the Onion report that said the Ukraine war will be over by June and gas will drop to 5 cents per barrel.

Problem is that U-Sports football is in an even more precarious position right now due to 50 years of internal disinterest and mismanagement. If worst case were to happen and the CFL disappeared, I bet a number of schools would use that as an excuse to mothball football.
    I will agree that USports has it's own issues but mothballing football programs is not one. It's more likely non-football playing member schools will go out of business(Laurentian, Fraser Valley).

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level
    The management has no interest in getting it together.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    BOG & GOB apologists are going to tell you these are just normal negotiating tactics and the CFL was perfectly right to leave it till the last second and try to give the players nothing or take away Canadians ... after all, this is just good "business" practice, and the CFL is a business just like any other; and besides, unions are evil or full of commies or some other small c boogeymen. Tough $hite CFL fans; and guess what - ticket & concession prices just had to be raised.

What a total F-ing joke the CFL has evolved to in terms or leadership & owners. Pathetic.
    I have always defended the CFL over the years but as time goes on I am less interested in justifying how they do business, the way they treat the players has become increasingly deplorable and embarrassing.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I have always defended the CFL over the years but as time goes on I am less interested in justifying how they do business, the way they treat the players has become increasingly deplorable and embarrassing.
    I'm with you there 57 - we're both long-time fans, but it's getting close to intolerable, IMO.

I really fear for the future of the CFL - at least as real Canadian football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    I will agree that USports has it's own issues but mothballing football programs is not one. It's more likely non-football playing member schools will go out of business(Laurentian, Fraser Valley).
    It's a question of money. Olympic sports are far less expensive to operate than football.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    * Ratio Update* : 8 starting Canadians, 1 of whom is nationalized Canadian (vet American, at least 3 years same team, or *5* in league). 3 other nationalized Americans can play up to 49 per cent of all snaps on offence or defence.#CFL #CFLPA

So I guess teams only need to start 4 "real" Canadians now. This sucks! Ratio down from 7 to 4.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    * Ratio Update* : 8 starting Canadians, 1 of whom is nationalized Canadian (vet American, at least 3 years same team, or *5* in league). 3 other nationalized Americans can play up to 49 per cent of all snaps on offence or defence.#CFL #CFLPA

So I guess teams only need to start 4 "real" Canadians now. This sucks! Ratio down from 7 to 4.
    But there has to be at least 7 real Canadians playing 51% of the snaps. I'd rather see real Canadians make up 70-75% of the rosters, including starters, but this isn't the worst compromise. We'll have to see how it's implemented, but I think the intent is to allow Americans to back up Canadian starters.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks guys for all the interesting information and conversation over the last years. The CFL died for me today. I'm out of here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks guys for all the interesting information and conversation over the last years. The CFL died for me today. I'm out of here.
    Sad to hear buddy; I might be joining you soon in saying see ya to the CFL. We'll see when the roster changes kick-in (tracking snaps of players so the GOBs can get more of their American buddies on the field = what a laughable farce). Still not hearing all the details, like when the changes start - 2023 was one report ?

So I'll probably watch my usual tons of CFL ball this season. And the Argos - with all of their Canadian talent - might demonstrate a mind-set on this subject; if they defer to Americans mostly / 7 only need apply thinking, rather than letting a lot of that Canadian talent play and make an impact. BC, with Canadian QBs (#1 & 2 right?) and also plenty of Canadian talent, will be interesting to me - not sure Campbell gets it though. I can guess how that clown Jones will approach his roster/ratio in EE land.