Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Is the CFL Screwing Canadian QBs?

John Hodge argues that the league is still screwing Canadian QBs. How do you feel about this? Or is Hodge's suggestion of dressing 22 Internationals regardless of position? Is it going to lead to some teams simply dressing another International starter., while the third string National QB only gets on the field in an emergency and for a single game. Then an International fourth string QB from the PR or another International QB who has been signed becomes the backup and the situation repeats itself.

This year’s CFL combine was paired with the inaugural Mark’s CFL Week in Regina and the results were overwhelmingly positive. Bringing current and future CFL players together in an intimate environment allowed for fans and media to gain access to players and personnel people from around the league, generating a ton of stories, news, and buzz on social media.
    The issue is that the players who partake in the combine are virtually all nameless faces to most fans. Regina product Jeremy Zver was cheered by the locals during the offensive/defensive line one-on-ones, while local boy Mitchell Picton got a similar response from the crowd during the receiving drills. Polite applause with a smattering of hoots and hollers — a solid showing of support, but nothing that blew the lid off of Evraz Place.
    That all changed when Noah Picton hit the field. Picton, still a junior at Regina, is the starting quarterback of the Rams. Tossing balls to cousin Mitchell, Noah won the 2016 Hec Creighton Trophy as U Sports’ Most Valuable Player after a campaign that saw him break Andrew Buckley’s record for most all-time single-season passing yardage (3,186). Picton isn’t eligible for this year’s draft, but participated in the combine’s receiving drills to provide an extra arm. With all due respect to eligible draftees Sam Caron (Montreal) and Asher Hastings (McMaster), Picton was by far the best passer on the day. Picton’s got a lot to prove before he joins Buckley in the CFL. Buckley, the former Dino, will enter the 2017 CFL season with a chance to become Bo Levi Mitchell’s primary back-up following the trade of Drew Tate to Ottawa back in February. Picton’s size is suspect (he’s listed at 5’9, but is actually closer to 5’7) and there’s no understating the difference in game speed between U Sports and the CFL. Still, the Regina native deserves a shot to play professionally in Canada.
    And the CFL would be insane to not want him to get a shot at the pro level. Picton is beloved in Regina — he’s the closest thing the Queen City has to a prodigal athlete like Sidney Crosby or LeBron James — and he plays the game’s most important position. It also doesn’t hurt that the kid is charismatic and bears a striking resemblance to pop sensation Harry Styles. He has superstar written all over him. Quarterbacks sell. They are the game’s biggest stars, hands down. As long the top prospects at the CFL combine are 300-pound offensive linemen (and I’m speaking as both a former offensive lineman and admitted draft junkie), the event will never be a must-see spectacle for most CFL fans. If you want to elevate the profile of the combine and capture the imagination of football fans, quarterbacks have to form a reasonable part of the equation as they do south of the border.
    For that to happen, the league needs to stop disincentivizing teams from carrying Canadian quarterbacks. How is the CFL preventing Canadian pivots from being on even footing with their American counterparts? Allow me to explain. Back in 1969 (yes, the CFL governs its roster regulations by a fifty-year-old rule) there grew concern that teams weren’t doing enough to develop quarterbacks. Pivots — virtually all of whom were U.S.-born — were being traded across the country en masse every off-season, largely due to the overabundance of American pivots interested in coming north (this was back when the CFL could compete with NFL salaries, along with providing better off-hour and off-season job opportunities). Teams were unable to carry more than one quarterback at the time, meaning that acquiring a new passer would require trading or cutting the incumbent unless he was able and willing to play another position. Much was proposed in the way of rule changes to allow for teams to carry a back-up quarterback. Finally, a proposal put forth by Winnipeg was approved with a 7-2 vote. The proposal allowed teams to a) dress a maximum of 14 imports (ie. Americans), one of whom could only enter the game if the player he replaced was no longer going to play or b) dress a maximum of 14 imports with two strictly designated as quarterbacks. Finally, CFL teams could carry two quarterbacks without one having to play a second position, significantly limiting his development.

Teams that dress Canadian quarterbacks — and there are currently only two: Calgary (Andrew Buckley) and Saskatchewan (Brandon Bridge) — get no roster benefit in doing so. Dressing Canadians at any other position benefits teams by allowing them to allocate international roster spots elsewhere. Dressing a Canadian quarterback doesn’t benefit teams because quarterbacks are not considered nationals or internationals due to the origin of the league’s roster rules outlined above. Some pundits have suggested making it mandatory for all nine CFL teams to carry a Canadian quarterback in past years, creating a new roster spot specifically for national passers. In my opinion, this would be an unnecessary over-correction. Canadian quarterbacks shouldn’t be forced upon teams, especially considering that there aren’t nine national pivots available today who could realistically play in the CFL.
    I’d suggest that fixing the league’s roster problem is as simple as eliminating the separate designation for quarterbacks. Canadian pivots should count as nationals and American pivots should count as internationals. It’s not a complex solution. Instead of teams fielding 21 nationals, 20 internationals, and three quarterbacks, teams should field 22 nationals and 22 internationals regardless of position. This would make clubs like Calgary and Saskatchewan eligible to dress an extra American player because of their use of a Canadian quarterback.
    Many teams would continue to dress three international quarterbacks, sure. But who’s to say that, under this proposed rule change, there wouldn’t be a small handful of Canadian pivots to stick on CFL rosters who otherwise would have gone overlooked?

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Regardless of passport, 5'7 QB isn't looking so good. That's an inch shorter than Flutie and the average CFL QB has even gotten taller over time.
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 04-09-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well this thread's going to end well.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Regardless of passport, 5'7 QB isn't looking so good. That's a foot shorter than Flutie and even CFL QBs have gotten taller.
    Gee! I never realized Flutie was 6'7". It puts a whole new perspective on his career.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    What is going on there - some sort of CFL "conspiracy" ??? - blah, blah, blah.

The CFL GOBs will continue to give a rat\s @$$ about Canadian QBs - same old/ same old. The recent examples of Bridge (out of US college ball) and Buckley (out of the Stamps backyard) are just minor blips on the radar, IMO.

Picton is very small for a pro QB - doubt he gets a look. IF any CFL team was really interested in Canadian QBs, then Asher Hastings out of Mac (set a CIS TD pass record + has pro plus QB size) will get some sort of CFL TC look this coming season. We shall see / good luck with that.

Vanier Champ Laval QB Hugo Richard, and previous Vanier winning QB Michael O'Connor (UBC) could/should be on CFL radar in the next couple of seasons - we shall see some evidence there as well. The ratio rules that see Canadian QBs not count may be one factor (and easy as pie to change that - why not eh GOBs?) is one factor; but not the biggest one IMO. Attitude - ignorance, bias, myopia - mean way more here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Well this thread's going to end well.
    Yee of little faith.

It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Yee of little faith.

I did not expect OV to chime in on this topic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yee of little faith.

An easy cut & paste job AV ;o)

On an always amusing or laughable CFL fan forum "topic" of "discussion" - almost guaranteed to come up at least once a year.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    We'd all like Canadian QBs to succeed, they should count for ratio purposes, etc. etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    We'd all like Canadian QBs to succeed, they should count for ratio purposes, etc. etc.
    No disagreement here. I believe that with 44 dressed for all games, it should be an even split of 22 imports and 22 non imports (I'm going old school today and boycotting the current terminology). It just may make it beneficial to a roster under such a scenario to have a Canadian QB dressed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    No disagreement here. I believe that with 44 dressed for all games, it should be an even split of 22 imports and 22 non imports (I'm going old school today and boycotting the current terminology). It just may make it beneficial to a roster under such a scenario to have a Canadian QB dressed.
    Of course they are, they've been doing it for years.

Ask Jamie Bone, ever since he took the league to court in the late 70s, early 80s, it's purposely gotten worse.

Quarterback is just another position in football, sure it's important, but does that mean your left tackle is any less important in protecting him. If the CFL was honest in giving Canadian QBs an opportunity, they'd reward teams who keep a Canadian at QB, (like they do for every other position) by counting them in the ratio, period.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Has anyone read Frank Cosentino's book, A Passing Game, he went in to great detail on how the roster rules have evolved, into so much detail it was actually confusing. But he explains how due to the roster rules and why they came about, there is not a Canadian QB in the CFL. I'm sure everyone is aware that the current roster rules do not make it conducive to having a Canadian QB, due to the fact that a Canadian QB wouldn't count towards the National ratio. But in Frank's book, it explains how we got to this point. So how do we get back to a position where we can have a Canadian QB, and not return to the issues that got us to this point to begin with?

I'm sure the CFL coaches and GMs are aware that developing a Canadian QB would take time, and time being of the essence, takes away from winning immediately, which all coaches and GMs want, and are hired to do. But the league itself must be aware, that having Canadian QBs on teams rosters WILL generate more interest in the game. I know some fans will say they don't care, and just want to see the best talent on the field. I agree, but I also think that some of the great non-QB players in the league since Russ Jackson have been Canadians, and they would never have been given the chance if not for the roster rules and this has helped the game. Obviously the QB position is the most important position in football, but without giving a Canadian QB a chance, I think the league is hindering its growth potential. Let's put it this way, there would never have been a Russ Jackson, if Russ Jackson never had a legitimate chance at becoming a legitimate CFL QB. And I don't think that the Russ Jackson's died when Russ Jackson hung up his cleats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sensible solution Angelo, would love to see a Canadian QB given a chance to develop and establish a career in the CANADIAN Football League.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Sensible solution Angelo, would love to see a Canadian QB given a chance to develop and establish a career in the CANADIAN Football League.
    As would I. As a QB growing up, it would have been a dream come true for me to play in the league. But I also get how tough the competition is.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    QB Asher Hastings - at the CFL Combine and draftable this year; 6-2, 215 size; set a CIS single season TD passing record with Mac a couple of seasons back. His combined completion % in the past 2 seasons as the starter there is over 68 %.

NOT drafted at all last week = gee, what a shocker; while all sorts of back-up depth / long range "projects"/ special teamer only types do get drafted - each and every CFL draft. Desjardins with Ottawa - who i give credit to for using more than just 7 NI starters in a GC winning season - used a 4th round pick for the 2nd-draft in a row to take a long-snapper ??? = WTF myopia - when Ottawa has nothing/zip-o in terms of proven Canadian ball QB talent behind Trevor Harris with Burris gone now, other than aging question mark Drew Tate. Canadian QBs need not even apply for a TC look there I guess?

Point continues to be - Canadian QBs just do not get even close to regularly viewed as legit prospects to compete in a CFL TC for teams that have need at the position. I wouldn't expect a CFL team that had 3 deep CFL experienced QBs, plus a couple of young US ball excellent resume QBs on their TC roster to be looking for more QBs; but this is just not the case with most CFL teams.

Not going to change much anytime soon with continued same old GOBs making CFL personnel decisions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Has anyone read Frank Cosentino's book, A Passing Game, he went in to great detail on how the roster rules have evolved, into so much detail it was actually confusing. But he explains how due to the roster rules and why they came about, there is not a Canadian QB in the CFL. I'm sure everyone is aware that the current roster rules do not make it conducive to having a Canadian QB, due to the fact that a Canadian QB wouldn't count towards the National ratio. But in Frank's book, it explains how we got to this point. So how do we get back to a position where we can have a Canadian QB, and not return to the issues that got us to this point to begin with?

I'm sure the CFL coaches and GMs are aware that developing a Canadian QB would take time, and time being of the essence, takes away from winning immediately, which all coaches and GMs want, and are hired to do. But the league itself must be aware, that having Canadian QBs on teams rosters WILL generate more interest in the game. I know some fans will say they don't care, and just want to see the best talent on the field. I agree, but I also think that some of the great non-QB players in the league since Russ Jackson have been Canadians, and they would never have been given the chance if not for the roster rules and this has helped the game. Obviously the QB position is the most important position in football, but without giving a Canadian QB a chance, I think the league is hindering its growth potential. Let's put it this way, there would never have been a Russ Jackson, if Russ Jackson never had a legitimate chance at becoming a legitimate CFL QB. And I don't think that the Russ Jackson's died when Russ Jackson hung up his cleats.
    I seem to recall Frank writing about Canadian QB Billy Robinson who was in Ottawa the same time as Clements and Holloway. If memory serves he mentions that Robinson outplayed them both in preseason in 75 but was released?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    But the league itself must be aware, that having Canadian QBs on teams rosters WILL generate more interest in the game.
    By more interest, do you mean current fans will pay more attention, or non-fans will start paying attention? I think the former is likely true, the latter likely untrue.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    QB Asher Hastings - at the CFL Combine and draftable this year; 6-2, 215 size; set a CIS single season TD passing record with Mac a couple of seasons back. His combined completion % in the past 2 seasons as the starter there is over 68 %.

NOT drafted at all last week = gee, what a shocker; while all sorts of back-up depth / long range "projects"/ special teamer only types do get drafted - each and every CFL draft. Desjardins with Ottawa - who i give credit to for using more than just 7 NI starters in a GC winning season - used a 4th round pick for the 2nd-draft in a row to take a long-snapper ??? = WTF myopia - when Ottawa has nothing/zip-o in terms of proven Canadian ball QB talent behind Trevor Harris with Burris gone now, other than aging question mark Drew Tate. Canadian QBs need not even apply for a TC look there I guess?

Point continues to be - Canadian QBs just do not get even close to regularly viewed as legit prospects to compete in a CFL TC for teams that have need at the position. I wouldn't expect a CFL team that had 3 deep CFL experienced QBs, plus a couple of young US ball excellent resume QBs on their TC roster to be looking for more QBs; but this is just not the case with most CFL teams.

Not going to change much anytime soon with continued same old GOBs making CFL personnel decisions.
    Agreed OV, instead we see the Cody Pickett's and Dalton Bell's of the world given extended opportunities to establish themselves.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    By more interest, do you mean current fans will pay more attention, or non-fans will start paying attention? I think the former is likely true, the latter likely untrue.

I've heard from some big CIS football fans (or other Canadian amateur football fans), who basically despise the CFL and will have nothing to do with because of the favortism towards American players - with QBs obviously the glaring example. I think a CFL that featured more Canadian talent would attract some of those fans - but I also don't think it's a big number. However, it's still a step the CFL could take to attract some new fans - people who follow and have respect for amateur sport in the country and might like to see all the top Canadian talent (at all positions) get a shot to play in the pro league in their own country = too much to ask for I guess. The sports media could help a bit too - when a Chris Flynn type talent at QB wins multiple Hecs and leads his team to National title games - at least some of the Canadian sports media could have been featuring this player and the league he played in more in headlines and asking questions as to why the CFL would ignore him.

Canadian football needs to grow in support & interest at all levels - and IMO this could contribute to help feed more football interest across the board and make all levels/leagues more successful.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Probably the next U Sports quarter back to get a chance in the CFL would be Michael O'Connor in 2019. Noah Picton looked great in the East West Bowl but is unlikely to get a chance unless he grows 6 inches or changes his last name to Flutie:-)