Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Remember Chris Merchant? He didn't give up on his CFL dream after leaving the Als in 2019. He had signed with Wasa in Finland in 2020 but that fell apart because of Covid. On Saturday he led his Spanish team the Las Rozas Black Demons to an impressive 29-7 victory, defeating a team that had won 47 games in a row and won four consecutive national championships.

The 2017 Vanier Cup champion and reigning Hec Crighton Trophy winner was passed over by the CFL after being cut by the Montreal Alouettes ahead of the 2019 season, but he’s already making his presence felt overseas.

On Saturday, Merchant saw his first action in Europe, quarterbacking the Las Rozas Black Demons to a stunning 29-7 victory over the Badalona Dracs in Spain. While that accomplishment may mean little to Canadian football fans, it was a massive shift for European football.

Ahead of Saturday’s matchup, the Dracs had won 47 consecutive games in Spanish action and claimed the last four national titles. While Spain’s Liga Nacional de Futbol Americano is considered a mid-tier league by European standards, the Dracs have been routinely competitive in international competition and are highly regarded across the continent.

In his victory over the Spanish powerhouse, Merchant looked like his vintage self from his days with the Western Mustangs, managing the game, making the necessary throws and extending plays with his legs. He finished 10-of-18 passing for 193 yards and a pick, while adding 46 yards and two touchdowns on the ground. A spectacular scrambling touchdown toss late in the first half was called back on a penalty.

The star Canadian’s arrival on the scene may mean a changing of the guard on the Iberian peninsula and it’s been a long-time coming. ...

Merchant and the Black Demons must now be considered the team to beat in Spain and the Canadian passer is just getting started. There are four games remaining in the Spanish regular season, with the potential for make-up games and playoff games on top of that, and Merchant hopes to use it to showcase his talent enough to get back to the CFL or jump to a larger international league.

Already one of the most accomplished players in U Sports history, conquering the world is simply next on the list.
    https://3downnation.com/2021/02/14/c...spanish-debut/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    According to Farhan Lalji, Calgary is the only team that would evaluate Michael O'Connor fairly as a Canadian QB.

The open competition for the number two spot behind franchise pivot Bo Levi Mitchell is already shaping up to be one of the premier camp battles of the upcoming season. Prukop, a University of Oregon product, may have the edge right now, but all eyes will be on newly acquired Canadian quarterback Michael O’Connor to seize the job.

“It will be a good battle and whoever wins it, in my opinion, will be worthy to backup Bo and play if needed,” Lalji said. “Bo’s had some injuries, so you better make sure you have the right guy and I think Dave Dickenson has got the two right guys battling for that job.”
    Both pivots spent the 2019 season in Toronto and showed early promise, but O’Connor carries the weight of a nation on his shoulders. The 20th overall selection in the 2019 CFL Draft is considered by many to be the best homegrown quarterback in recent memory and captured the Vanier Cup in just his first season at the University of British Columbia.

That might not be the case everywhere. In Toronto, the addition of Nick Arbuckle and the specter of the potential return of McLeod Bethel-Thompson limited O’Connor’s possibilities and biases elsewhere would have held him back just as much.

A Penn State University transfer from Orleans, Ontario, O’Connor was 15-of-25 for 173 yards and one touchdown in limited reps during his rookie season. Lalji believes he has the potential to be truly special for the Stampeders.

“Michael O’Connor needs to be in Calgary, he needs to be in a quarterback room with Bo Levi Mitchell and Dave Dickenson with a legitimate competition and a guy who’s not going to be biased against him because he’s a Canadian quarterback,” Lalji says.
    “Dave has liked Michael since day one and he will give him a real opportunity to compete for number two.”

“The one thing about Dave is he truly will evaluate him as a quarterback. I’m not convinced anybody else in the Canadian Football League would,” Lalji said frankly.
    “I get a lot of people coming up to me or who will hear this when it gets posted and say, ‘What are you talking about? I view Canadian quarterbacks legitimately, look at my background.’ I don’t agree.”Lalji believes that the biases and limitations placed on Canadian-born passers persist and even homegrown coaches and general managers fall victim. Even the greatest CFL coach in history had this particular fault. “Wally Buono was the worst when it came to Canadian quarterbacks,” Lalji emphasized. “He had as big a bias as anybody and I’ve got a ton of respect for Wally. We used to argue in his office about this.”

The limitations those biases pose to quarterback opportunities and development have been noticeable. The CFL has lacked a legitimate national star at the sport’s most important position since the retirement of Russ Jackson in 1969 and the rise of such a player could do wonders for the league’s popularity.

“When a guy like Andrew Harris or Jon Cornish steps up and does great things at a skill position, touches the ball and can be a star and can be a Grey Cup MVP, that matters. It really does. People do take hold of those story lines,” Lalji insisted.
    “If Michael O’Connor can do it here, at this position, I think it would be a fantastic thing for the Canadian Football League and I think it would be a great thing for grass roots football.”

O’Connor won’t be the first to try and break down that barrier this century, with players like Brandon Bridge and Andrew Buckley leading the way and rookie Nathan Rourke following behind. In Calgary, he finds a perfect situation to achieve what others have not and he’s got all the talent in the world to make it happen. ...

“I love the kid and I think he works his tail off,” he said. “He’s got such an unbridled enthusiasm, passion, and a real knowledge for football that I think he is going to be able to take that step.”
    https://3downnation.com/2021/02/14/s...-farhan-lalji/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Remember Chris Merchant? He didn't give up on his CFL dream after leaving the Als in 2019. He had signed with Wasa in Finland in 2020 but that fell apart because of Covid. On Saturday he led his Spanish team the Las Rozas Black Demons to an impressive 29-7 victory, defeating a team that had won 47 games in a row and won four consecutive national championships.

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/14/c...spanish-debut/

That 3 Down article reveals that Merchant's team also has some American Div I players = bringing in ringers to upset the top team, eh ? (don't know if they have any roster rules there with regards to nationality ?)

GOBs will unlikely give a flying **** about how well Merchant plays over there though. ALL CFL teams - most with little proven for QB depth - had a chance to sign Merchant for upcoming TCs (I'd guess he would be able to get out of his European contract, if they are even still playing there come CFL TC time ?) Adam Sinagra = CFL undrafted and un-signed too.

Anyhow Jerry - thanks for the link and keeping this thread/topic going. There's another CFL forum (one with way more traffic than this one) where this subject would IMO get little traction and likely mostly get met with scorn & derision - the nerve to bring it up and question the inscrutable GOBs ;o)
    Last edited by OV Argo; 02-14-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Sounds like a European League of Football is starting up in July 2021. Hopefully Merchant can get a chance there too.

Anybody hear anything about Sinagra? He is not on the Alouettes roster. Anybody going to give him a chance?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ski View Post
    Sounds like a European League of Football is starting up in July 2021. Hopefully Merchant can get a chance there too.

Anybody hear anything about Sinagra? He is not on the Alouettes roster. Anybody going to give him a chance?
    Sinagra was a 2020 non-roster invite to the Als TC as part of the two allotted National players teams can bring to camp provided that they have never played a down in the CFL. So he is not on the roster, but I just checked and Hugo Richard, who QBed for Laval, still is on the Als roster. Richard was on the game roster for 3 games in 2019, but has no other stats, unsurprisingly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Sinagra was a 2020 non-roster invite to the Als TC as part of the two allotted National players teams can bring to camp provided that they have never played a down in the CFL. So he is not on the roster, but I just checked and Hugo Richard, who QBed for Laval, still is on the Als roster. Richard was on the game roster for 3 games in 2019, but has no other stats, unsurprisingly.

Richard was on the Als PR for most of last season, but got promoted to the game roster when an Als QB (Adams?) was out. Be very interesting to see how he fares this year, with Maciocia (who has brought home a bunch of Quebec players) as GM there; hard to believe Richard could not make #2 or 3 there over the likes of Shiltz (useless when given a CFL chance) and some raw rookie American QBs they brought in.

Heard the story that Sinagra was going to get that non-counter TC invite, but i'll believe it when i see it - why didn't they just draft him or FA sign him over a couple of new American QBs they brought in ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is an interview with Chris Merchant by someone from the Spanish league in which he plays. It is evident from the questions the interviewer asks that he has a very detailed knowledge of Merchant's life, his time at Buffalo University and at Western University, as well as the CFL. Basically a respect is shown to him that is often missing for Canadian QBs in their home country.

https://www.spanishbowl.com/interview-chris-merchant

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Below is an interview with Chris Merchant by someone from the Spanish league in which he plays. It is evident from the questions the interviewer asks that he has a very detailed knowledge of Merchant's life, his time at Buffalo University and at Western University, as well as the CFL. Basically a respect is shown to him that is often missing for Canadian QBs in their home country.

https://www.spanishbowl.com/interview-chris-merchant
    Thanks for that Jerry; and yeah - the lack of respect for Canadian QB talent in their own country is frustrating/pathetic IMO; a bunch of CFL fan sites would have zero mention of Merchant even with this info on him playing in Spain (3 Down reports, plus) - just crickets from a lot of CFL fans who don't care about U Sports football or Canadian talent. Sad, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    On Saturday, Chris Merchant led Las Rozas to a 33-0 lead in the first half before giving way to his backup QB. Las Rozas is 4-0 with Merchant at QB. By the half Merchant had two TDs rushing and one passing.

American Football International (AFI) (https://www.americanfootballinternat...0-cet-1100-et/) lives streams these games and many others. AFI (https://www.americanfootballinternational.com) also covers other leagues.

By clicking on Fuengirola Potros @ Las Rozas Black Demons, Feb. 27, 17:00 CET (11:00 ET) and registering with AFI you can watch this game. The broadcast quality is not great and is mostly in Spanish but they do have English commentary from time to time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    On Saturday, Chris Merchant led Las Rozas to a 33-0 lead in the first half before giving way to his backup QB. Las Rozas is 4-0 with Merchant at QB. By the half Merchant had two TDs rushing and one passing.

American Football International (AFI) (https://www.americanfootballinternat...0-cet-1100-et/) lives streams these games and many others. AFI (https://www.americanfootballinternational.com) also covers other leagues.

By clicking on Fuengirola Potros @ Las Rozas Black Demons, Feb. 27, 17:00 CET (11:00 ET) and registering with AFI you can watch this game. The broadcast quality is not great and is mostly in Spanish but they do have English commentary from time to time.
    Interesting and thanks Jerry; i would have thought that 3 Down would have followed up with more info on his play there after their initial report of his big win against the powerhouse team - 2 games and wins since; but probably so little interest from the general CFL fan base

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Another Canadian QB prospect. I wonder if anyone drafts him.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/03/i...ns-in-the-nfl/

"(Draft-eligible Canadian quarterback) Mike Beaudry might be better than Michael O’Connor. He’s not as good as (2020 second-round draft pick) Nathan Rourke, but he can sling it."

https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/foot...-beaudry/10238

I doubt he's better than O'Connor.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Mike Beaudry has transferred to Idaho for the 2021 season. He kind of lost his starting job last year to another Canadian QB Jack Zergiotis 6'1 205 at Connecticut. But I see he did get some time at QB this pass fall completing 48% of his passes 2 TD's and 1 Int. I thought they had moved him to TE last year. He's a big guy at 6'5 250. Maybe he can light it up next fall at Idaho.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Mike Beaudry has transferred to Idaho for the 2021 season. He kind of lost his starting job last year to another Canadian QB Jack Zergiotis 6'1 205 at Connecticut. But I see he did get some time at QB this pass fall completing 48% of his passes 2 TD's and 1 Int. I thought they had moved him to TE last year. He's a big guy at 6'5 250. Maybe he can light it up next fall at Idaho.
    A lot of CFL media or fans seem to be hoping for another Canadian QB to emerge from US college ball to get a CFL shot - like Rourke may from BC upcoming.

But this Beaudry guy has done little in US college ball so far. Maybe he will light it up there next season and get some CFL notice ?

And meanwhile, top Canadian QBs out of U Sports ball continue to be written-off by the GOB club (Richard, Merchant & Sinagra undrafted = WTF ???). The next Canadian QB on the CFL horizon should be Tre Ford - who has put up outstanding passing #s at Waterloo, plus is a real run threat (mobile QBs coming more to the fore lately - in the NFL and the CFL (like Fajardo, or even Strevler). Ford has opted out of the next CFL draft to play another season of U Sports ball - he could break passing records, win the Hec & Vanier, and I doubt the GOBs would take him seriously for a CFL try-out (or draft him in the early rounds) = sad.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ski View Post
    Another Canadian QB prospect. I wonder if anyone drafts him.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/03/i...ns-in-the-nfl/

"(Draft-eligible Canadian quarterback) Mike Beaudry might be better than Michael O’Connor. He’s not as good as (2020 second-round draft pick) Nathan Rourke, but he can sling it."

https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/foot...-beaudry/10238

I doubt he's better than O'Connor.

A QB from Ottawa - Christian Veilleux - has been recruited by Penn State (i.e. a big Div I program)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Canadian QB Nathan Rourke talks about missing the 2020 season because of Covid and the upcoming season below. But as so often has been the case in the past, HC and Co-GM Rick Campbell focused entirely on Will Arndt in the interview, a player Campbell had start four games with Ottawa but who looked far from impressive, to say the least. Could this be Groundhog Day all over again for Canadian QBs?

Rourke, who will turn 23 this May, still awaits his CFL debut because of the season cancellation in 2020. He’s been lacing up every Monday to Thursday morning at the BC Lions facility for his daily workout. “I think it was just tough for me in that regard because I had gone 17 years without missing a season of football,” Rourke said. “For some guys, football is where they rely on income. I’m kind of in a good situation right now, as a young guy that still has the luxury of living with my parents. But some guys don’t have that, they have to find other jobs and sources of income.”

The former Ohio University standout led the Bobcats to three straight Bowl victories from 2017-2019. Rourke exited Ohio with a record of 24-13 at starting quarterback, threw for 60 touchdowns and put up a total of 7457 career passing yards. But as Rourke mentioned several times since he was drafted as a Leo, he’ll be taking notes from Mike Reilly and focusing on elevating his game. “I’m going to be learning so much more from him on the field. The knowledge of the game, coverages, the ins and outs of the offence are extremely valuable to learn from,” Rourke said. ...

Rourke said his number one goal this year is to contribute to the team in any possible way. Like everyone else, he’s lacking the practice reps at the moment, which he would have wanted because those reps could help him process the game faster and making better reads on offence. But he makes up for that by improving his throwing mechanics and footwork on his own time.

“I can only control what I can control,” he added. “The weird thing about this past year was that as a college athlete, you had a set schedule and everything was routine-oriented based on what time of the year it was. I think it’s been good because I had to learn to become a professional and how to take care of myself to make my own routine. Coming back to the Lions and have daily workouts has been really good as well. But I’m just looking forward to getting into the routine of the season and be able to play football.”

https://www.bclions.com/2021/03/05/r...me-west-coast/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Chris Merchant led his Spanish Las Razas team to another victory on Saturday while throwing four TD passes and having a 40 yard run before leaving the game in the third quarter for his Spanish backup to finish. The final score was 35-0.

After registering with the website,The game can be seen at:

https://fefa.afi.tv/watch/682-fefa-gij-n-mariners-at-las-rozas-black-demons

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Glen Suitor argues that Chris Jones mismanaged the development of Canadian QB Brandon Bridge. While I'm not saying that Bridge would have developed into a good QB for sure, I did feel in watching Rider games that Jones seemed to get down on Bridge rarely putting him in a position to optimize his skills in 2018 after he showed some promise there in 2017, to put it mildly. He seemed to lose confidence in Regina and played better, though not great, in Montreal before and in BC after he played under Jones.

Bridge was with the Riders for most of the three-year span while Chris Jones was head coach and general manager. “I’ve always had great respect for Chris Jones. That doesn’t mean that I agreed with all of his approach. I thought there were times when, and I’ll just say it, I think he mismanaged the quarterback position at times,” Suitor said on 620 CKRM’s The SportsCage. “I say mismanaged because ripping quarterbacks back and forth I think is a mistake. You’ve gotta roll with them sometimes if you see that potential.”

Darian Durant was the starter in 2016, Kevin Glenn took the lead role in 2017, and Zach Collaros had the No. 1 job in 2018. Bridge spent his time in Saskatchewan largely as a backup, but Suitor wanted to see the Mississauga native as the starter and find out what he was capable of.

“I don’t know if Brandon Bridge would have been a star, championship quarterback at the pro level, I’m not completely sure, but I don’t think he got the same opportunity as some other American quarterbacks,” Suitor said. “Some of the situations he was put in, the team’s down by 10, down by 11, the quarterback who was the starter throws two or three picks, he’s thrown in, he rescues the day and did a bunch that year, and doesn’t get the start the next week or doesn’t get the start two weeks from then.”

The University of South Alabama product displayed intriguing potential, especially in 2017. Bridge started in Week 13 for the Riders in Hamilton and guided the team to a victory with 231 passing yards and three touchdowns. Two weeks later, he came off the bench to lead a comeback win against Toronto, finishing 20-of-28 for 292 yards and two touchdowns. Overall that season, Bridge passed for 1,236 yards with a 66.6 completion percentage and 10 touchdowns compared to just four interceptions while adding 20 carries for 127 yards and one rushing touchdown during the 2017 season. He sparked the Riders offence in the East Final, completing 11-of-21 passes for 141 yards and one touchdown in the team’s defeat.

“You think back to that playoff game where Kevin Glenn wasn’t seeing it, threw three picks in the playoff game in Toronto, and Brandon Bridge was a play away from getting them to the cup after coming back from the big hole they were in,” Suitor said. “I thought Brandon Bridge could’ve really taken a step and shown us that he may have been ready to start. I saw enough in Brandon Bridge athletically and in making the throws.”

That opportunity never came in Saskatchewan as the Riders decided against offering him a contract following the 2018 season. Bridge spent the 2019 season with the Toronto Argonauts, Montreal Alouettes and B.C. Lions. He saw the field twice with the Lions where he connected on 14 passes for 194 yards, with one touchdown, and two interceptions.

“His throwing motion was a little unorthodox, it’s like a weird golf swing when you’re watching it — it works for the person, but it’s not that prototypical release that you see in most quarterbacks at the pro level,” Suitor said. “That probably put some sort of negative thought in some coaches minds. As long as it’s working for him it shouldn’t, but for whatever reason I don’t think he got the same opportunity.”

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/10/g...th-the-riders/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    On Saturday Chris Merchant led his team to another 35-0 win and a 6-0 record. He threw 3 TDs before leaving the game before half time and allowing his Spanish back-up QB to finish the game.

The game can be seen at https://fefa.afi.tv/watch/679-fefa-l...gij-n-mariners

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    On Saturday Chris Merchant led his team to another 35-0 win and a 6-0 record. He threw 3 TDs before leaving the game before half time and allowing his Spanish back-up QB to finish the game.

The game can be seen at https://fefa.afi.tv/watch/679-fefa-l...gij-n-mariners

Wonder if Chris would come home to play in new start-up league (Senior / semi-pro, whatever) in Canada that might be undertaken IF there is a void of real Canadian football when/if the CFL sells-out the Canadian game and Canadian players ?

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Wonder if Chris would come home to play in new start-up league (Senior / semi-pro, whatever) in Canada that might be undertaken IF there is a void of real Canadian football when/if the CFL sells-out the Canadian game and Canadian players ?
    I support OV Argos creation of Senior/semi-pro, Canadian only league:-)

I wish I was super millionaire so I could fund that league.