Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Finally got to see Rourke play last week end. Looks like the real deal and could eventually have a good chance of starting for a CFL team. But if he has a good Senior year in 2019 will probably get some NFL interest.

Was disappointed Irons didn't see any action as apparently their original #1 RB Ouelette got the call after being injured earlier in the year. Ouelette is a good back but I don't think he is a game breaker. Would be a good second RB in the CFL if he was a Canadian. Maybe Irons can do the same thing and he is a lot bigger at about 230.
    I guess i was way more impressed with Ouellette, who IMO is a total package back; and there are some pretty average to mediocre import backs who have got to play in the CFL lately. like Jeremiah Johnson, CJ Gable, Moises Madu or the Stamps 2nd stringer behind Jackson this season - and i bet Ouellette or Irons (and some other backs on this year's draft board) could be better.

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    A little premature but Chad Owens Jr. just finished his Jr Football HS football season. Interesting to see if he will stay in Canada for the reminder of his highschool career and see what his offers are. Since he started playing football here, although not born, he should be classified as a national. Now, that is a few years down the road.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Rourke is arguably the best Canadian US college ball trained QB since Jesse Palmer (and arguably a more complete QB too) or Gerry Datillio way before that.
    Rourke is better than Brandon Bridge?
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Rourke is better than Brandon Bridge?
    At the pro level? - who knows; that would be demonstrated thru play on the field - TC competition and game action; at the US college level - Rourke has arguably accomplished quite a bit more. Like Gerry Datillio did.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Rourke is arguably the best Canadian US college ball trained QB since Jesse Palmer (and arguably a more complete QB too) or Gerry Datillio way before that.
    In 1975, rookie Gerry Datillio was on the Argos roster but he got into only one game with no stats. He went to Montreal in 1976 where he won an Outstanding Canadian award and was runner up for Most Outstanding Player in 1980. Hopefully, the Argos will give Picton a closer look than they gave Datillio.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    In 1975, rookie Gerry Datillio was on the Argos roster but he got into only one game with no stats. He went to Montreal in 1976 where he won an Outstanding Canadian award and was runner up for Most Outstanding Player in 1980. Hopefully, the Argos will give Picton a closer look than they gave Datillio.
    I doubt the Argos gave him any sort of look as a QB; he was a special teamer and back-up receiver at first when he went to the Als. His passport negated his fine US college ball resume as a star QB to the GOBs back then at first.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I guess i was way more impressed with Ouellette, who IMO is a total package back; and there are some pretty average to mediocre import backs who have got to play in the CFL lately. like Jeremiah Johnson, CJ Gable, Moises Madu or the Stamps 2nd stringer behind Jackson this season - and i bet Ouellette or Irons (and some other backs on this year's draft board) could be better.
    I don't know about that OV. Ouellette had a good College career in total yards but CFL defenses are a lot tougher than the MAC IMO. I didn't see any real break away speed and he's a little under sized to be an every down RB in the pros IMO.
    Jeremiah Johnson (Oregon) and C J Gable (USC) had pretty good College careers in big time DIV I football and have had their moments in the CFL. I agree about Madu being your average RB and you never know when he's going to put the ball on ground.

But not to be all negative. You were right about MLB Justin Herdman out in BC once he got a chance to play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I doubt the Argos gave him any sort of look as a QB; he was a special teamer and back-up receiver at first when he went to the Als. His passport negated his fine US college ball resume as a star QB to the GOBs back then at first.
    I was being diplomatic in my choice of words about the Argos in 1975.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The dust has not totally settled on this score for this CFL TC / season (after one ex. game); but seems like O'Connor (actually drafted) is getting a real CFL look, and the others IMO were more some sort of PR stunt or the Argos & Als hoping that the new CBA was going to produce some sort of big bonus for carrying a Canadian QB.

Picton getting cut from Argo TC was no surprise at all - size issue plus in a camp with 5 other QBs (why was he not one of 5 getting a serious look on a team like BC or Edmonton or his home province Riders - who all have zip-o proven at #s 2 or 3 on the QB depth chart) ?

As for Merchant & Richard with the Als - both CFL undrafted (= no real interest to begin with) - Merchant got one series in the Als pre-season game vs. the Argos and Richard got zero opportunity; we shall see next pre-season game if they get a shot, but they were in a CFL TC with a team that has 4 CFL experienced QBs already - I don't believe they are getting a real, serious look there, and again, why were both not drafted and in a CFL TC as one of 5 QBs in the main/real competition (Ottawa could have signed Richard as a FA when they had huge QB need - way before they signed Jennings as a FA).

Oh well - at least O'Connor getting a decent shot with the Argos is some sign of progress on the GOB file on this one ? ;o)

O'Connor and Bridge both making the Argos- 2 Canadian QBs on one CFL team ??? !!! - might get some myopic / mind all ready set types to think a bit anyways (probably not though).

Up next year/ CFL draft on this file - Nathan Rourke (Ohio - playing great in Div. I ball) and Adam Sinagra (Hec winner with the Dinos with a real good passing arm) = we shall see again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    For the record Merchant got at least two and possibly three series.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    The dust has not totally settled on this score for this CFL TC / season (after one ex. game); but seems like O'Connor (actually drafted) is getting a real CFL look, and the others IMO were more some sort of PR stunt or the Argos & Als hoping that the new CBA was going to produce some sort of big bonus for carrying a Canadian QB.

Picton getting cut from Argo TC was no surprise at all - size issue plus in a camp with 5 other QBs (why was he not one of 5 getting a serious look on a team like BC or Edmonton or his home province Riders - who all have zip-o proven at #s 2 or 3 on the QB depth chart) ?

As for Merchant & Richard with the Als - both CFL undrafted (= no real interest to begin with) - Merchant got one series in the Als pre-season game vs. the Argos and Richard got zero opportunity; we shall see next pre-season game if they get a shot, but they were in a CFL TC with a team that has 4 CFL experienced QBs already - I don't believe they are getting a real, serious look there, and again, why were both not drafted and in a CFL TC as one of 5 QBs in the main/real competition (Ottawa could have signed Richard as a FA when they had huge QB need - way before they signed Jennings as a FA).

Oh well - at least O'Connor getting a decent shot with the Argos is some sign of progress on the GOB file on this one ? ;o)

O'Connor and Bridge both making the Argos- 2 Canadian QBs on one CFL team ??? !!! - might get some myopic / mind all ready set types to think a bit anyways (probably not though).

Up next year/ CFL draft on this file - Nathan Rourke (Ohio - playing great in Div. I ball) and Adam Sinagra (Hec winner with the Dinos with a real good passing arm) = we shall see again.
    Sinagra’s Great grandpa Frank was a hell of a singer👍
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    For the record Merchant got at least two and possibly three series.

I stand corrected - looking at the play-by-play log - it was 2 series at the end of the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Sinagra’s Great grandpa Frank was a hell of a singer

Hee, hee; more like talked with that schmaltz stuff.

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    I stand corrected - looking at the play-by-play log - it was 2 series at the end of the game.
    The coaches aren't going to throw in a guy that's not ready, it's like a lamb to the slaughter. They see these guys every day in practice, they are out there throwing the ball, calling plays, trying to learn plays, getting used to the faster, stronger defenses and guys that have played in the NFL and tier 1 NCAA.
    If the guys isn't ready in practice, he's not going to be ready in a game.

It's not about the CFL not giving Canadians a chance, it's the fact they just aren't prepared for the pros, same with ex-NCAA guys, some just aren't ready.
    When you have 5 QBs and the other guys are just so much better in practice you have to go with the better guys and get down to 3 QBs. Your backups have to be prepared to go into a game if the starter goes down. If you keep a QB just because he's Canadian and he's not at the pro-level, you are hurting him and your team.
    The QB coach, the O coach and the head coach are out there to pick the best 3 QBs, they don't care what passport he has.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    The coaches aren't going to throw in a guy that's not ready, it's like a lamb to the slaughter. They see these guys every day in practice, they are out there throwing the ball, calling plays, trying to learn plays, getting used to the faster, stronger defenses and guys that have played in the NFL and tier 1 NCAA.
    If the guys isn't ready in practice, he's not going to be ready in a game.

It's not about the CFL not giving Canadians a chance, it's the fact they just aren't prepared for the pros, same with ex-NCAA guys, some just aren't ready.
    When you have 5 QBs and the other guys are just so much better in practice you have to go with the better guys and get down to 3 QBs. Your backups have to be prepared to go into a game if the starter goes down. If you keep a QB just because he's Canadian and he's not at the pro-level, you are hurting him and your team.
    The QB coach, the O coach and the head coach are out there to pick the best 3 QBs, they don't care what passport he has.
    Right on spammer - the CFL should just do away with that silly ratio; no Canadian players (other than some Div I US ball trained guys) could hope to compete in a CFL filled with ex- NFL / NCAA superstars; could you imagine Andrew Harris or Brad Sinopoli or Henoc Muamba or Zack Evans or Sean McEwen or Jermaine Gabriel, etc. etc. etc. being ready to play in the CFL ??? - why it would be like lambs to the slaughter - they would fail miserably cause they just don't have the skills or training of those NFL / NCAA trained stars - they just aren't prepared and that's a sad fact that the CFL continues to be blind to by insisting some Canadian guys get a chance to play in the pro league in their own country. What a bummer for the CFL GMs and coaches who have to put up with that $hite.

The likes of Merchant or Hugo Richard having any kind of hope to compete against superstar QB talents like Jeff Matthews or Shitz ? - please - they just aren't good enough and the American coaches in charge know these facts from the get-go; not sure why the Als wasted valuable TC time time bringing in inferior Canadian talent like that? - maybe some sort of PR stunt to say they gave the Canadian kids a shot ? The Als and all other CFL teams should concentrate on finding 7 only NI starters from the O-Line, plus maybe one little used receiver and maybe hide an inferior Canadian or 2 somewhere on the D if they are lucky.

It's only the minor league CFL though, so no big deal really I guess, but it sure could be better without inferior, unprepared Canadians wasting roster space.

GO Raptors !!!

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The CFL may not be screwing Canadian QBs anymore but their luck sure hasn't changed. They never seem to be in the right place at the right time. I'm seeing Isaac Harker has a chance of starting for the Riders, that's THE Isaac Harker of NCAA II Colorado Mines (stadium capacity 4000). Ok, I know the comparison isn't fair and good players can come from anywhere but I'll bet the perception some of the coaches hold for him is still different than any CIS QB. Not tryin' to start something, just sayin'

Banned
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    The CFL may not be screwing Canadian QBs anymore but their luck sure hasn't changed. They never seem to be in the right place at the right time. I'm seeing Isaac Harker has a chance of starting for the Riders, that's THE Isaac Harker of NCAA II Colorado Mines (stadium capacity 4000). Ok, I know the comparison isn't fair and good players can come from anywhere but I'll bet the perception some of the coaches hold for him is still different than any CIS QB. Not tryin' to start something, just sayin'
    The problem with the CIS QBs is that they have only faced CIS defenses, never played against NCAA players that are bigger, faster, stronger and better coached, the NCAA also plays more games and their players train 12 months a year.
    The CIS QBs are playing against Canadian DBs, when a CIS QB goes to training camp he is throwing against NCAA DBs and ex-NFL DBs, it's rare for a Canadian to be a DB except at safety.

There are Canadian QBs in the NCAA, they have been scouted in Canada in high school and the QBs that have pro-potential are offered scholarships. The QBs that are not offered NCAA scholarships move on to the CIS.

Of course the preception of a CIS QB is going to be different, they just haven't played at the same level as an NCAA QB and they are not going to be up to the same standard as an NCAA QB in the training camp.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLfan View Post
    The problem with the CIS QBs is that they have only faced CIS defenses, never played against NCAA players that are bigger, faster, stronger and better coached, the NCAA also plays more games and their players train 12 months a year.
    The CIS QBs are playing against Canadian DBs, when a CIS QB goes to training camp he is throwing against NCAA DBs and ex-NFL DBs, it's rare for a Canadian to be a DB except at safety.

There are Canadian QBs in the NCAA, they have been scouted in Canada in high school and the QBs that have pro-potential are offered scholarships. The QBs that are not offered NCAA scholarships move on to the CIS.

Of course the preception of a CIS QB is going to be different, they just haven't played at the same level as an NCAA QB and they are not going to be up to the same standard as an NCAA QB in the training camp.
    More uninformed, inferiority BS.

Better coached, do you have qualitative proof for that? Do you have any idea of the restrictive rules the NCAA has on the amount of time coaches can be with their players. A Canadian coach doesn't have those same restrictions. Bigger, faster stronger? Are the concepts of the barbell and kinesiology not known across our barren wasteland.

A little fact checking for you, Chris Merchant, Hugo Richard and Michael O'Connor all had NCAA scholarships and "moved on" to CIS

Thank you for confirming the bias, now tell me about that great competition Colorado Mines was facing in NCAA II.
    Last edited by bannedforlife; 06-19-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    More uninformed, inferiority BS.

Better coached, do you have qualitative proof for that? Do you have any idea of the restrictive rules the NCAA has on the amount of time coaches can be with their players. A Canadian coach doesn't have those same restrictions. Bigger, faster stronger? Are the concepts of the barbell and kinesiology not known across our barren wasteland.

A little fact checking for you, Chris Merchant, Hugo Richard and Michael O'Connor all had NCAA scholarships and "moved on" to CIS

Thank you for confirming the bias, now tell me about that great competition Colorado Mines was facing in NCAA II.

You got fished in by spammer's typical Canadians are inferior at football B$; "ex - NFL/NCAA" talent ? - why a Canadian player out of the inferior Canadian system has no chance what-so-ever to compete against that ? ;o) Nice reply though.

There used to be a poster on one of the old pan-CFL fan sites - way back - that used to always chime in on this subject - and he insisted that only a NCAA Div I trained QB could possibly be good enough to play at the CFL level, and that's why CFL coaches would not bother to look at Canadian QBs with Canadian training. Goes way back in CFL GOB standard practice - Brancato having no use for Bill Robinson at QB; Chris Flynn got zero real CFL chance; etc. etc. etc. on to today. Why don't the Riders - with Collaros out and huge QB need - try to grab O'Connor off the Argos PR or bring in Merchant for a look ?

Funny how Div II QBs like Trevor Harris, Antonio Pipkin and now young Harker in Sask. have all merited CFL shots over the past few years, and mostly showed they can play QB in the CFL; also funny how Canadian QBs are never "lucky" enough to be in the right place at the right time to get such a CFL opportunity as well - kinda difficult when they're almost never even on a game roster as even a 3rd stringer; the Als have that Shitz guy at QB on the roster over Hugo Richard.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    You got fished in by spammer's typical Canadians are inferior at football B$
    Oh, I think I know where "cflfan" is coming from. I just hope Merchant is able to stick around for a bit and see if he gets lucky. Saskatchewan would be a nice place.