Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    New Fan
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    A recurring nightmare/premonition I get from time to time: The NFL sets up shop here with a starting CANADIAN quarterback. Sometimes this League of ours just doesn't get it, and doesn't want to get it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Dick View Post
    A recurring nightmare/premonition I get from time to time: The NFL sets up shop here with a starting CANADIAN quarterback. Sometimes this League of ours just doesn't get it, and doesn't want to get it.

The "radically" American CFL; run by mostly Americans / favoring American players; been like that for a long, long time; and that, IMO, is what a lot of people don't get or else are afraid to discuss and/or admit it.

Canadian QB Nathan Rourke might make an NFL team if he continues to progress with his passing arm at Ohio; doubt he even gets a serious CFL shot even if the NFL totally ignores him next year; there won't be an NFL team in Canada anytime soon - so no need to worry about that premonition.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Dick View Post
    Sometimes this League of ours just doesn't get it, and doesn't want to get it.
    So true, the loyal CFL fan doesn't want the ratio touched and wants a Canadian QB. I am sure there are a few dissenters who truly believe in less ratio and could care less about the value of a Canadian QB but if you checked the majority's past posts (here and elsewhere) you'd probably figure out why.

This league needs a lot more radical fans who will "push back" and stop taking the crap they've been taking, only then will it stop. I've seen it here and at other CFL sites. Maybe some people think some of us are overzealous but I truly believe this league is worth fighting for and in today's toxic environment it has to be fought for or it will be lost.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    When Brandon Bridge signed with the BC Lions in October, Giulio Caravatta, one of only three Canadian quarterbacks to start a CFL game since (the others were Larry Jusdanis in 1997 and Danny Brannagan in 2010) until Brandon Bridge in 2015, introduced Bridge to the team. Bridge hugged Caravatta for a long time before finally letting go, reflecting the loneliness of the Canadian QB in the CFL. Although the CFL is bringing more Canadian QBs to TC, the new 2020 rule restricting teams to two QBs per game will also restrict Canadian QBs opportunities to play.

Bridge has been reunited with BC OC Jarius Jackson, the one coach, who Bridge feels believed in him in the past. However, that relationship is now up in the air with the firing of Claybrooks.

Many have questioned Bridge's performance, but the same is true of American QB Vernon Adams, until this year.

They’re two men from two completely different backgrounds and, except for that one small piece of CFL history, there would seem to be little in common between Giulio Caravatta and Brandon Bridge. But they share one thing. They both know what it means to be judged by a different standard. They both know how hard it is to play when the coach is looking for an excuse, any excuse, to get them out of the game. And they both know the feeling that one mistake will land them on the bench.

Mostly, however, they both know their careers would have been easier if they carried a different passport. When Caravatta introduced himself to Bridge at a B.C. Lions practice he wasn’t sure how he’d be received. Bridge, after all, was three-years-old when Caravatta made his second of two career CFL starts. But the older man was barely into his story when the younger man wrapped him in his arms and held him tightly. “He didn’t let go for a long time” says Caravatta. “That was a really, really cool moment.” ...

Bridge has flirted with a long-term starters’ job on a couple of occasions, most notably in Saskatchewan where he enjoyed a big second half in 2017 under the tutelage of current Lions offensive coordinator Jarious Jackson. But Bridge has also had five different stops since he started for the Montreal Alouettes in 2015, largely because of a deep-rooted prejudice felt by every Canadian who has ever played the QB position.

On Wednesday, Bridge was asked if his career would have unfolded differently if he was form Mobile, Ala., or Lubbock, Tex.
    “One hundred per cent,” he said. “I do feel if I was American I’d have more opportunities. Being Canadian it’s one shot and if you don’t make it they’ll pass on you.”

Which is something Caravatta knows about.
    “I told him when I watched him play it reminded me of my career,” says the broadcaster/firefighter. “It looked like he was playing scared, that he didn’t want to make a mistake because he was going to get pulled. You just can’t play the position that way. You have to let it hang out and know if you do make a mistake, you’ll get another chance. His coaches never had his back.”

Actually, there was one moment in his career when Bridge enjoyed the confidence of his coach and that also explains why the Lions signed him. In 2016, the Mississauga, Ont., product landed in Saskatchewan where Jackson was the QB coach and the two men formed a connection.
    In 2017, ‘Riders starter Kevin Glenn also went down with an injury and Bridge took over, completing 92 passes in 138 attempts for 1,236 yards and 10 touchdowns, against four interceptions.

He also played the second half in the Eastern Final and had the Roughies leading late before QB Ricky Ray directed a game-winning TD drive in the final seconds of a 25-21 Argos’ win.
    Bridge remembers a lot of things about that game. Mostly he remembers the confidence Jackson showed in him. “At half time Jarious said, ‘You’re going to play the rest of the game,’ ” Bridge said. “ ‘I don’t want you to worry about begin pulled. It doesn’t matter if you throw five interceptions.’ And we started playing better. That gave me confidence.” ...

The next year, Jackson returned to the Lions as their coordinator, the ‘Riders signed Zach Collaros in free-agency and Bridge was back on the bench. He started and lost the Western Semifinal against Winnipeg when Collaros suffered a concussion, making him the first Canadian in 34 years to start a playoff game.

But that was his last game with Saskatchewan. Last off-season he signed a free-agent deal with Toronto, was released before the season, caught on with Montreal for a month, then was released again. Two-and-a-half months later he was reunited with Jackson in B.C. “He has all the talent in the world,” says Jackson. “I know he can do it and I see the same spark in him. It hasn’t left.”
    “Jarious is the one guy who’s believed in me,” says Bridge. That might lead to a chance with the Lions. Reilly is cemented as the starter here, but the backup spot is open and, who knows?, maybe one day Bridge will get the chance that was given to Cody Fajardo in Saskatchewan this season or Dane Evans in Hamilton, or any number of CFL backups who’ve excelled when given the opportunity over the years.

Of course, they were all American. “That’s the frustrating part,” says Caravatta. “The only reason he doesn’t get that opportunity is because he’s Canadian. If no one knew that was his nationality there’d be a different attitude towards him.”
    https://vancouversun.com/sports/foot...0-930f2eabda97

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Canadian QB Brandon Bridge is retiring from the CFL to become a member of the Peel Regional Police.

Boatman
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Canadian QB Brandon Bridge is retiring from the CFL to become a member of the Peel Regional Police.
    Here's a link to an article about that: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...n-police-work/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bridge played a major role in pushing to have Canadian QBs included in the ratio.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Bridge played a major role in pushing to have Canadian QBs included in the ratio.
    Good for Bridge for pushing the issue of Canadian QBs getting REAL CFL shots.

He did get his shot, and unfortunately came up way short in a big play-off game start for the Riders ( very poor game); but, he could or should be in the mix in a CFL TC to compete still ? But good for him again if he is comfortable moving on to get a good job in another field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I always thougth Bridge was pushed to early in his career. The learning curve for QB's can be steep. But we will never know now and good for him moving on in life when he had the opportunity.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Brandon Bridge: it’s been over 100 years in this league and they did not respect a Canadian QB
    3Down Staff 3downnation March 14, 2020

Brandon Bridge feels some type of way about how the Canadian Football League looked at Canadian quarterbacks.

“It’s been over 100 years of this league and they did not respect the Canadian QB,” Bridge said on The Rod Pedersen Show (start at 24:15).

It appears Bridge has traded in a football for police badge. However, Bridge still left a memorable mark in the pro three-down game: Canadian quarterbacks are included in the ratio due to his work.

“I think I coulda left a bigger stamp — I was able to make a change. I got a lot of people around me, even Americans, saying I should push for that. Some said there might be backlash because owners and general managers might not want it, but I was urged to push for it,” Bridge said.

“If I had to be a sacrificial lamb for younger generations to get the opportunity, then it is what it is. I’m not comparing myself to Colin Kaepernick but he stood up for something and didn’t care what could happen. I didn’t want younger generations to jump the same barriers that I had to. I hope they can leave a bigger footprint than I did.”

Bridge spent the 2017 and 2018 seasons in Saskatchewan after signing with the Riders in August 2016. During 2018, Bridge played in eight games, completing 82-of-131 passes for 804 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions. He also rushed 25 times for 110 yards. Saskatchewan didn’t offer Bridge a contract prior to free agency.

“If the CFL gives me what I want financially, then I’ll do it but if not, I don’t see why. It doesn’t make sense to me. I’ve gotta think about my lifestyle, like what’s gonna happen now moving forward?” Bridge said.

“I know my worth. I came into games, won games, and coming from a handicap of being down 17, 10 (points), whatever the case may be, and I showcased myself pretty well, I’d have to say. I feel like I have more positive games than negative games than a lot of other QBs that are on teams right now.”

The South Alabama product has shown intriguing potential, especially in 2017. Bridge started in Week 13 for the Riders in Hamilton and guided the team to a victory with 231 passing yards and three touchdowns. Two weeks later, he came off the bench to lead a comeback win against Toronto, finishing 20-of-28 for 292 yards and two touchdowns.

“I can still play football. I honestly feel like I can still compete. Personally I feel like I’d be at least the second-best option on any CFL team now at least. I actually feel that in my heart but with the police, you have benefits and pension and that’s what we all want, a salary,” Bridge said.

Overall that season, Bridge passed for 1,236 yards with a 66.6 completion percentage (92-of-138) and 10 touchdowns compared to just four interceptions while adding 20 carries for 127 yards and one rushing touchdown during the 2017 season. He sparked the Riders offence in the East Final, completing 11-of-21 passes for 141 yards and one touchdown in the team’s defeat. The TD toss was the first by a Canadian in a post-season game since Russ Jackson in the 1969 Grey Cup.

“It’s gonna go downhill, honestly. Unless we actually give each other a true chance. The Canadian QB actually is a dying breed right now because kids are going to school and saying ‘Why am I going to play QB?’” Bridge said.

“You’re going to see bad football because kids will say: ‘What’s the point of going to this school or that school?’ Everyone’s going to play offensive line or defensive line because they’ll actually get a fair chance. I think it’s going to die out soon.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Chris Merchant - Hec & Vanier winner - already decided to move on to play in the Finnish league (?),after the GOBs showed no further interest in him i guess (was at Als TC last year and played a bit in one ex. game).

This coming draft features Nathan Rourke, Adam Sinagra (just led the Dinos to a Vanier win), and a couple of other pretty good U Sports QBs in Des Catellier (Manitoba) and Clay Sequira (U of T) - we shall see if there is any CFL interest in these Canadian QBs - and with lots of CFL teams with little proven QB depth and need for TC competition. Be also interesting to see if Maciocia in Montreal gives Hugo Richard a real shot to compete there.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Chris Merchant - Hec & Vanier winner - already decided to move on to play in the Finnish league (?),after the GOBs showed no further interest in him i guess (was at Als TC last year and played a bit in one ex. game).
    Western QB Chris Merchant to sign with Wasa Royals of Vaahteraliiga
    John Hodge 3downnation February 11, 2020

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There are now four Canadian QBs signed in the CFL: Michael O'Connor (Argos); Hugo Richard and Adam Sinagra (Als); and Nathan Rourke (Lions). Even if some of them don't make it out of TC, if there is one this year or next, when was the last time that happened? It is ironic that this occurs in the year that Covid puts the CFL season's, and possibly the league's, existence in question.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    There are now four Canadian QBs signed in the CFL: Michael O'Connor (Argos); Hugo Richard and Adam Sinagra (Als); and Nathan Rourke (Lions). Even if some of them don't make it out of TC, if there is one this year or next, when was the last time that happened? It is ironic that this occurs in the year that Covid puts the CFL season's, and possibly the league's, existence in question.

Bridge was still in the CFL last season; O'Connor was with the Argos; Richard & Chris Merchant were in the Als TC last season = so no big improvement or movement on that file there.

A bunch of CFL teams have little to zip-o in terms of QB depth or any kind of experienced back-ups - they will reach out to sign any American QBs they can for TC; Sinagra was not drafted, nor were a couple of other good U Sports QBs (Catellier (Manitoba) & Sequira (U of T); and Merchant saw the GOB writing on the wall and signed to play in Europe.

Same old /same old.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    ^Just wondering what that has to do with the CFL screwing Canadian QBs

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    Separate thread created.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post

??? - CFL teams had a chance to address the QB competition situation at QB for TCs, and yet again they chose not to give some Canadian QBs a shot by not drafting Sinagra, Catellier & Sequira, plus they had no further interest in another top Canadian QB in Merchant who had to sign in Europe to get a chance to play. And I didn't start the thread saying the CFL are "screwing" Canadian QBs - not sure the term applies - but they just have little to no use for them = same old / same old. Get it ?

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    ??? - CFL teams had a chance to address the QB competition situation at QB for TCs, and yet again they chose not to give some Canadian QBs a shot by not drafting Sinagra, Catellier & Sequira, plus they had no further interest in another top Canadian QB in Merchant who had to sign in Europe to get a chance to play. And I didn't start the thread saying the CFL are "screwing" Canadian QBs - not sure the term applies - but they just have little to no use for them = same old / same old. Get it ?
    He was asking about jerry's post about Khari Jones' getting death threats while playing in Winnipeg. I split that post out into a separate thread.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    He was asking about jerry's post about Khari Jones' getting death threats while playing in Winnipeg. I split that post out into a separate thread.

Ok = i get it now; sorry bout the confusion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    In recent years, we are seeing more Canadian QBs getting a chance in the CFL so that is a big improvement.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force