Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by j-ski View Post
    Probably the next U Sports quarter back to get a chance in the CFL would be Michael O'Connor in 2019. Noah Picton looked great in the East West Bowl but is unlikely to get a chance unless he grows 6 inches or changes his last name to Flutie:-)

There's been several CIS QBs of the past decade or more who have done more than Picton plus had pro plus size - most of them got zero CFL shot. Hugo Richard looked fantastic at times last year IMO in leading Laval to another Championship - and he's not even close to Flutie small for a QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    By more interest, do you mean current fans will pay more attention, or non-fans will start paying attention? I think the former is likely true, the latter likely untrue.
    Do you think a quality starting Canadian QB wouldn't interest Canadian football fans? I'm not sure if it will garner interest in non-Canadian Football fans. I think it might, but it would surely generate interest in people who are already Canadian football fans. And newsflash, not all of them attend games. And since the CFL is gate driven, more interest is good.

You know what, I don't care about when the Argos or any team express interest in some 3rd string QB from Alabama. It doesn't excite me. I do care when there is even a mention that there is a minute interest in a Canadian QB. I want there to be Canadian talent in this league. And I want a Canadian QB. So yes, I think it would garner interest if there were a Canadian QB, and I think the CFL should strive towards that. Stop being so short sighted, like the GMs and coaches in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Do you think a quality starting Canadian QB wouldn't interest Canadian football fans?
    I said (in the comment you quoted) "I think the former (i.e. current fans will pay more attention) is likely true." So not sure why you are asking the question.

Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Stop being so short sighted, like the GMs and coaches in the CFL.
    I prefer to debate ideas rather than have individuals called out for being "short sighted" and so on.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I haven't heard what Canadian University QB will be coming to the Argo camp yet. Some how I am starting to suspect that may be as close we will ever see a Canadian QB on all CFL teams. Keep bringing them in for a couple of weeks to give them some pro coaching which is good for the CIS. Then maybe we will continue to see the odd QB like Buckley make a team here and there.

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Just adds to how underappreciated Russ Jackson is. Different era of course, but a true Canadian QB.
    The import rule is ridiculous. It needs to be overhauled but do we even have a league commissioner right now?
    This issue was covered a couple years ago when the argos cut Danny Brannigan. I don't think we need to mandate a Canadian qb on each roster, but right now it seems to carry one puts a team at a disadvantage. At least create a framework where an exceptional CIS qb has a fighting chance to develop for a couple seasons.

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Buckley named as the backup in Calgary and possibly Brandon Bridge as the backup in Sask.
    These guys EARNED their spots on the roster, they weren't hired to fill a roster quota. They made the team because they were better than other QBs out there, good for them. I'm sure either could be a starter some day.
    The QB position is the most important on the team and it should always be the best player for the job and there should never be any rule that favours a national QB.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I haven't heard what Canadian University QB will be coming to the Argo camp yet. Some how I am starting to suspect that may be as close we will ever see a Canadian QB on all CFL teams. Keep bringing them in for a couple of weeks to give them some pro coaching which is good for the CIS. Then maybe we will continue to see the odd QB like Buckley make a team here and there.
    USports Quarterbacks in CFL Camps

http://www.marshallferguson.com/sing...-Summer-School

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Chris Jones doesn't seem to have much use for USports players so it isn't surprising that he is not hosting a QB in his camp.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Chris Jones doesn't seem to have much use for USports players so it isn't surprising that he is not hosting a QB in his camp.

Don't be ridiculous Ravi - Ego-Jones just loves and respects Canadian talent; the Riders NI "depth" is now just awesome and light years ahead of previous regimes there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayahre View Post
    Buckley named as the backup in Calgary and possibly Brandon Bridge as the backup in Sask.
    These guys EARNED their spots on the roster, they weren't hired to fill a roster quota. They made the team because they were better than other QBs out there, good for them. I'm sure either could be a starter some day.
    The QB position is the most important on the team and it should always be the best player for the job and there should never be any rule that favours a national QB.

I like Buckley - good QB talent and was very impressive last ex.game for the Stumps - we shall see if he really wins the #2 job there.

However - anybody who believes that the only reason he is there with the Stamps is just because of "talent" - like he is/was the clear cut best CIS QB of the past decade or so and that's why he is getting a CFL shot, are seriously deluded IMO. Good for the Stamps for giving him a shot and he was playing right in there own backyard for them to scout, but sorry, there have been several other CIS QBs with as good or better QB skills than Buckley in the past few years, let alone decades, and basically none of them have been given a real CFL TC shot to compete for a job.

When several CFL teams yearly start giving top notch Canadian QB talent real TCs shots to compete - I'll believe there has been some real change on this file. Not happening - lately, now or doubtful in the forseeable future. Same old GOB CFL. ;o)

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I like Buckley - good QB talent and was very impressive last ex.game for the Stumps - we shall see if he really wins the #2 job there.

However - anybody who believes that the only reason he is there with the Stamps is just because of "talent" - like he is/was the clear cut best CIS QB of the past decade or so and that's why he is getting a CFL shot, are seriously deluded IMO. Good for the Stamps for giving him a shot and he was playing right in there own backyard for them to scout, but sorry, there have been several other CIS QBs with as good or better QB skills than Buckley in the past few years, let alone decades, and basically none of them have been given a real CFL TC shot to compete for a job.

When several CFL teams yearly start giving top notch Canadian QB talent real TCs shots to compete - I'll believe there has been some real change on this file. Not happening - lately, now or doubtful in the forseeable future. Same old GOB CFL. ;o)
    So why would he be named the backup if not for his talent? there is no advantage or incentive to have a Canadian, he doesn't count against the ratio.
    CFL teams will start giving "top notch" Canadian QB talent a real shot if they can find "top notch" Canadian QBs.
    CIS QBs may shine in the CIS but they don't face the talent that an NCAA QB has to face, the bigger stronger defences, faster strong pass rushes, longer season more games and longer practice schedules, NCAA QBs are better coached and it's a full time job when you get an NCAA scholarship.
    CIS QBs are usually in shock when they get to a CFL training camp and they are facing the bigger, faster, stronger ex-NFL or ex NCAA defences, they have never had to face players of that quality.
    Sorry but CIS QBs just don't match up against the superior NCAA and ex-NFL QBs. I think it's great that Buckley has overcome the adversity and earned a backup in the CFL.
    Buckley proves the point you are trying to make that the CFL does give "top notch" QB talent a real shot. Too bad there are not more "top notch" Canadians out there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    LOL, now you've done it!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    So why would he be named the backup if not for his talent? there is no advantage or incentive to have a Canadian, he doesn't count against the ratio.
    CFL teams will start giving "top notch" Canadian QB talent a real shot if they can find "top notch" Canadian QBs.
    CIS QBs may shine in the CIS but they don't face the talent that an NCAA QB has to face, the bigger stronger defences, faster strong pass rushes, longer season more games and longer practice schedules, NCAA QBs are better coached and it's a full time job when you get an NCAA scholarship.
    CIS QBs are usually in shock when they get to a CFL training camp and they are facing the bigger, faster, stronger ex-NFL or ex NCAA defences, they have never had to face players of that quality.
    Sorry but CIS QBs just don't match up against the superior NCAA and ex-NFL QBs. I think it's great that Buckley has overcome the adversity and earned a backup in the CFL.
    Buckley proves the point you are trying to make that the CFL does give "top notch" QB talent a real shot. Too bad there are not more "top notch" Canadians out there.
    I think I'll stay out of this one. The new me.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think I'll stay out of this one. The new me.
    Haha, Good one AngeloV!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    And no doubt you could name all sorts of CIS all-star or great stat QBs you've seen play who weren't near as good as Buckley and hence that's why they got zero real CFL shot from any of the GOBs running CFL teams? Carry on with your tired cliche ridden excuses on this file - nice job !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    And no doubt you could name all sorts of CIS all-star or great stat QBs you've seen play who weren't near as good as Buckley and hence that's why they got zero real CFL shot from any of the GOBs running CFL teams? Carry on with your tired cliche ridden excuses on this file - nice job !
    Proud of you OV, I can imagine you were so mad you were shaking when typing your response.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:

Level
    So who are "next ones" to follow Bridge and Buckley. I would suggest it would be Chris Merchant from Western and Michael O'Connor from UBC. I believe their draft years are
    2019. Noah Picton is draft eligable in 2018 and although he has great quarterback smarts, his lack of height will limit his opportunities. Michael Knevel from Laurier might also be
    a possibility.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Proud of you OV, I can imagine you were so mad you were shaking when typing your response.

More like laughing at the pathetic cliche fest this subject always brings. Canadians are just so inferior at football, don't ya know - don't even deserve to compete against all the incredible American QB talent found across the CFL, on every team, every TC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So who are "next ones" to follow Bridge and Buckley. I would suggest it would be Chris Merchant from Western and Michael O'Connor from UBC. I believe their draft years are
    2019. Noah Picton is draft eligable in 2018 and although he has great quarterback smarts, his lack of height will limit his opportunities. Michael Knevel from Laurier might also be
    a possibility.

Knevel is a big QB and seems to have a pretty strong arm; but if you watched Laurier play in the play-offs last season, he was terribly out-classed in QB skills by Laval's Hugo Richard - way more accurate passer and smarter, more poised QB with mobility (and it had zero to do with Laval having the better all-around team - Laurier had a pretty strong defence).

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    But not every CIS QB is pro ready, just like not every NCAA QB is ready for NFL (or even the CFL). Heck, you even have Heismann winning QBs who amount to nothing professionally. All of these records broken in college and some QBs don't get a shot in the NFL. Just because a QB is successful in USports and has thrown for a million yards doesn't automatically make him a CFL QB. Will agree though, that they probably could get an invite to camp before teams assume that. Although, torching York and Waterloo (for example) might not necessarily mean much.