Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Redblacks sign former Argo Tori Gurley

The Redblacks have signed former Argo and Bomber Tori Gurley.

A Rock Hill, S.C. native, Gurley had 36 catches for 509 yards and three TDs in 10 games with Toronto in 2016 before being released along with three other receivers in the final third of the year. Shortly thereafter he signed a contract with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He only saw action in two contests, however, and caught four passes for 62 yards.
    In 2015, he had 58 receptions for 791 yards and was tied for the CFL lead with 10 touchdowns.
    Prior to joining the Argos in June of 2015, Gurley had spent the previous four seasons in the NFL, including time with the Green Bay Packers, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders, Minnesota Vikings, San Diego Chargers, and Tampa Bay Buccaneer. In 27 games at South Carolina, he caught 76 passes for 910 yards and six touchdowns with the Gamecocks.
    http://www.cfl.ca/2017/05/04/redblac...r-tori-gurley/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The Redblacks have signed former Argo and Bomber Tori Gurley.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/05/04/redblac...r-tori-gurley/
    I think a good signing or the RedBlacks. I am pretty sure Trevor Harris was consulted. Together they were a powerful combo in 2015.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos look like Als, Redblacks look like Argos, Ticats look like.....oskie wee weiners

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Good. He can avoid blocking on hitch screens for them this year.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Given the challenges faced by the current realities of the CFL, it can only benefit from player continuity. Even if they join a rival team. A lot of these players have fans, and they might come back to see them play in Toronto. Only see the positive in this move.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Given the challenges faced by the current realities of the CFL, it can only benefit from player continuity. Even if they join a rival team. A lot of these players have fans, and they might come back to see them play in Toronto. Only see the positive in this move.
    Absolutely. You can't build it, without the blocks. Looking forward to watching Gurley play in Ottawa this season. The Argos will have their hands full when they face this receiver core. Gurley has the talent for an 1,000 yard season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The RedBlacks lost Earnest Jackson & Chris Williams = 2 x thousand yard receivers from their corps = so they need competition to find good replacements; Dionate Spencer and Kenny Shaw might be able to fill in nicely, but IMO Gurley brings more - size & proven CFL production. Jon Criner looked very good at times for Ottawa late last year too; and they still have former draft picks Scott MacDonnell & Jake Harty around too - so they should have good competition for the corps' there.

Ottawa loading up on ex-Argos (AJ Jefferson in their D-backfield) to go with their new starting QB Harris.

Argos loading up on ex-Als with Jimmy P in charge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Absolutely. You can't build it, without the blocks. Looking forward to watching Gurley play in Ottawa this season. The Argos will have their hands full when they face this receiver core. Gurley has the talent for an 1,000 yard season.
    Soft receiver, Winnipeg was never too impressed to even dress him after he was released by the Argos. He looked great against some of the weak Argo DB's over the last several years (Thank God, they won't be in double blue this season). He must've been great in practice, but against pro DB's that can play physical and battle for air balls, he can get shutdown easily.

A lot of guys LOOK like they have they have the talent, but it doesn't mean much until they perform. That's why they used to use the term "looker" in the past in sports. It was actually meant to ridicule guys who have the assumed physical tools, and look great in practise or in a line of athletes, but can't get their shite together and perform when it matters...in a game, or on a team environment because they were to full of themselves. (Gurley definitely fits the latter)

The word is hardly used today, especially in the media where all the garbage reporters who know little fawn over every over-hyped guy, over-valuing how good they really are. They think it sells, but to whom, an unknowledgeable group of followers who can't think for themselves and believe everything they're told...hmmm, sounds like every millennial...ok, not all, but most.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Soft receiver, Winnipeg was never too impressed to even dress him after he was released by the Argos. He looked great against some of the weak Argo DB's over the last several years (Thank God, they won't be in double blue this season). He must've been great in practice, but against pro DB's that can play physical and battle for air balls, he can get shutdown easily.

A lot of guys LOOK like they have they have the talent, but it doesn't mean much until they perform. That's why they used to use the term "looker" in the past in sports. It was actually meant to ridicule guys who have the assumed physical tools, and look great in practise or in a line of athletes, but can't get their shite together and perform when it matters...in a game, or on a team environment because they were to full of themselves. (Gurley definitely fits the latter)

The word is hardly used today, especially in the media where all the garbage reporters who know little fawn over every over-hyped guy, over-valuing how good they really are. They think it sells, but to whom, an unknowledgeable group of followers who can't think for themselves and believe everything they're told...hmmm, sounds like every millennial...ok, not all, but most.
    Soft? Not even close. 16 TD's in 26 games as an Argo! That's what Mookie Mitchell got in his first two seasons as an Argo. 11 more than Paul Masotti got. He battled for most of those up in the air, and won some extraordinary battles. That's more than a TD every other game in two seasons. 11 more TD's that All Time Argo Paul Masotti got in his first two seasons. Watch a little film; do a little research. This guy is known for not dropping a single ball for one whole season in College in South Carolina.

Now, as I don't see what goes on behind closed doors, I don't know how much of an asshole this guy is. He could be a cancer in the room. Certainly one strike against him, but the jury is still out on that one. We'll watch him this season.

No talent, soft? No. Not true. Give a guy credit where credit is due. This has nothing to do with every so called 'garbage' reporter you allude to. That's about as sweeping a statement as the 'Gurley is soft' comment. Where do you get this stuff? Gurley DID dress as a Bomber. They did use him but he was picked up for depth to bolster their run. They had injuries but already had Smith, Dressler, Adams, Jace Davis, McDuffie, Bastien, Kohlert, Richards and Feoli-Gudino.

Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't see Ottawa keeping all of their receivers. Unless someone is happy to be on the PR. They've got some young receivers as well like Criner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Soft? Not even close. 16 TD's in 26 games as an Argo! That's what Mookie Mitchell got in his first two seasons as an Argo. 11 more than Paul Masotti got. He battled for most of those up in the air, and won some extraordinary battles. That's more than a TD every other game in two seasons. 11 more TD's that All Time Argo Paul Masotti got in his first two seasons. Watch a little film; do a little research. This guy is known for not dropping a single ball for one whole season in College in South Carolina.

Now, as I don't see what goes on behind closed doors, I don't know how much of an asshole this guy is. He could be a cancer in the room. Certainly one strike against him, but the jury is still out on that one. We'll watch him this season.

No talent, soft? No. Not true. Give a guy credit where credit is due. This has nothing to do with every so called 'garbage' reporter you allude to. That's about as sweeping a statement as the 'Gurley is soft' comment. Where do you get this stuff? Gurley DID dress as a Bomber. They did use him but he was picked up for depth to bolster their run. They had injuries but already had Smith, Dressler, Adams, Jace Davis, McDuffie, Bastien, Kohlert, Richards and Feoli-Gudino.
    I'll never argue that he has talent, because he definitely does. I wasn't a fan of his sideline blowups, and as I mentioned his lack of effort on blocking on hitch screens. Ottawa runs a ton of hitch screens, so if he doesn't work harder there than he did here, I don't see him being there that long.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'll never argue that he has talent, because he definitely does. I wasn't a fan of his sideline blowups, and as I mentioned his lack of effort on blocking on hitch screens. Ottawa runs a ton of hitch screens, so if he doesn't work harder there than he did here, I don't see him being there that long.
    Oh, he'll block on screens. He'll block as he's assigned to block. Ottawa is a championship Football Team, and players won't make the Redblacks if they don't.

I didn't like his blowups on the sidelines either. Something had to give. That was the beginning of the end....for the whole cast of characters.
    Last edited by Jon Gonzo; 05-06-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    As to his talent, I have no doubt. His sideline blowups though were definitely problematic. However, sometimes players do change: example, Jerome Messam, who punched broke Paris Jackson' jaw in BC and whom the team captains went to Buono and demanded he be gotten rid of. He wasn't that popular subsequently in Edmonton and Montreal from what I've heard. However, he matured and now is star and team player in Calgary. Messam had the advantage of being a talented Canadian helping him to survive until he matured.
    I don't know whether Gurley has changed or not. However, with so many other talented International receivers available, problems in Ottawa will also likely mean the end of his career in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I kind of doubt Gurley was cut just because he couldn't block, must have been insubordination (as they say) or what ever. He was a difference maker receiver IMO especially with Ricky Ray tossing up those end zones throws like only he can. A good receiver like Gurley reminds me of hockey goal scorers. A knock is "sure he can score but he doesn't back check". Never mind that the guys that back check can't put the puck in the net to save their souls. The players in Hockey who can score wins you games and the guys in football who can catch touch down passes also wins you games. I also don't take much from his lack of playing time in Winnipeg. With O'Shea and Milanovich being buddies Mike wasn't going to make Scott look bad by playing Gurley unless he really had to IMO. I think OV calls that part of the Good Old Boys connection.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I also don't take much from his lack of playing time in Winnipeg. With O'Shea and Milanovich being buddies Mike wasn't going to make Scott look bad by playing Gurley unless he really had to IMO. I think OV calls that part of the Good Old Boys connection.
    They wouldn't have signed him at all if they cared how it might reflect on the Argos. Your current employer is the only one that matters.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Eyes and gut; Gurley is a player. An all-star all his life, does he realize he's been a toad? His buddies aren't around to goad the toad. If he does realize his past mistakes, he's an all-star. I've been 28 before, I get it. And if he doesn't, he's going back to South Carolina and looking for a job. Question is, is he inside the Top 30 for CFL import receivers?

Personally, eyes & gut, I wouldn't' bet against this horse.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I guess Tori will have the final say on this on opening day. Will he be a thorn in our side this season, time will tell. We all agree that he isn't making enough money to be considered a Prima Donna.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I guess Tori will have the final say on this on opening day. Will he be a thorn in our side this season, time will tell. We all agree that he isn't making enough money to be considered a Prima Donna.
    But there has to be some reason why he's now on his 11th team since 2011.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Although suspicion is warranted, I don't think basing it on failed NFL aspirations is an accurate skew. His NFL releases aren't indicative of a lack of CFL ability, only really a huge desire to make the NFL. The Argos have had many NFL refugees who have been on several NFL rosters/practice rosters and have come up here to lend a hand and be quite effective. Have you any reports of behavioral issues with those teams? Not saying they don't exist, only that I am not aware of them if they do.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Very unusual for CFL players and teams. Must be a player flaw. Certainly in a league with such high retention rate, that stands out. Or maybe his talent level warrants giving him a shot? I am thankful that young men travel to Canada and continue to give their football career a shot. They're not driven solely by the almighty dollar. Respect!