Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm all for the coach/Commissioner duo role in this case.

In all seriousness, this is the truth of the situation. Different times. The league really had no obstacles to overcome in Gaudaur's era.
    You are correct about that. He is probably the only commissioner that had no real problems to deal with relatively speaking. Commissioners previous to him had to deal with NFL commish Bert Bell, regarding contract issues and disputes with the CFL raiding NFL players, constant in fighting between the 2 conferences and problems with another pro league the AFL which drove player salaries up the wall. We all know the issues that commissioners after Gaudaur had to deal with. Gaudaur probably had it the easiest of all. It could be said that Gaudaur had it so easy maybe he didn't do anything, which may have led to the issues his replacements have faced.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm all for the coach/Commissioner duo role in this case.

You mean Pinball, right?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    You are correct about that. He is probably the only commissioner that had no real problems to deal with relatively speaking. Commissioners previous to him had to deal with NFL commish Bert Bell, regarding contract issues and disputes with the CFL raiding NFL players, constant in fighting between the 2 conferences and problems with another pro league the AFL which drove player salaries up the wall. We all know the issues that commissioners after Gaudaur had to deal with. Gaudaur probably had it the easiest of all. It could be said that Gaudaur had it so easy maybe he didn't do anything, which may have led to the issues his replacements have faced.
    I liked Gaudaur but I have been saying for over 30 years that he knew when to get out and got out at the right time. I can't imagine that he didn't know that there would be some rough waters ahead for the league when he retired.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Gaudaur was indeed the league's most successful commissioner. That was in an era when CFL teams' revenues and expenses were comparable to NFL teams', there were only three Cdn NHL teams, no basketball team, and baseball at first didn't exist in Canada and then was in start-up mode. It's just not a comparable situation IMO.

How successful were the tenures of Mitchell, Baker, Smith and Tory?

Mitchell: Montreal folded, the rich TV deal Gaudaur negotiated disappeared, CTV left, Calgary came close to folding, Sask had to run telethns.

Baker: Several teams were on life support during his tenure.

Smith: See Baker, plus U.S. expansion (which arguably kept the league alive but was far from a roaring success).

Tory: Had to go begging to NFL for cash to keep the league afloat; had to give away 4,000 tickets to Grey Cup in Hamilton.

Not sure I'd argue any of those guys as evidence of how important being a lawyer is. And then of course there's Orridge.

Most commissioners have had troubled tenures, especially in the modern era, because the CFL has been a troubled league. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I simply stated that being a Lawyer is apparently beneficial. That was in response to your comment about not knowing how Law would help in this particular role (paraphrased). Many of them have been one. Good or bad, they got the job.

I am not saying the new commish will have a legal background, or should.

I also believe that Marc Cohon may have been the best of all time, and his business background played well for him. He's basically a pro executive.

My point, and I'll stand by it; this league doesn't need some corporate egghead who spews power phrases and cliches and has no clue what this thing is all about. This 'thing' is unlike any other business going. The new commish should have an understanding of this league and it's unique charm.

I know a couple qualified candidates. May the best one win.

Sounds like Wayne Parrish is the latest to lobby for it. He's background is Journalism, and has been involved in managing organized leagues as of late.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I liked Gaudaur but I have been saying for over 30 years that he knew when to get out and got out at the right time. I can't imagine that he didn't know that there would be some rough waters ahead for the league when he retired.
    Wasn't Gaudaur responsible for the blackouts, which is arguably the root of the problems the Argonauts face in the market today.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Wasn't Gaudaur responsible for the blackouts, which is arguably the root of the problems the Argonauts face in the market today.
    Although I agree that blackout were not a good thing, I stand by what I have been saying for the last 20 years that blackouts have nothing to do with the state of mind of many that don't care for or are apathetic to the CFL. Society today is so money obsessed that many people look at the disparity of salaries between the major pro leagues in North America and automatically conclude they have no time for what they perceive to be a minor league product in the CFL.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Although I agree that blackout were not a good thing, I stand by what I have been saying for the last 20 years that blackouts have nothing to do with the state of mind of many that don't care for or are apathetic to the CFL. Society today is so money obsessed that many people look at the disparity of salaries between the major pro leagues in North America and automatically conclude they have no time for what they perceive to be a minor league product in the CFL.
    . Would that perception change if the league doubled the salary cap?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    . Would that perception change if the league doubled the salary cap?
    I don't think so. You have individual players in the other leagues making more than even double the salary cap of each entire team. For some reason, young people look up to those that are branded to the extreme. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, when I was a kid, we loved players based on how good they were at their game. Marketing had ZERO to do with it.

I can see LeBron James making close to 100M a year next year between NBA salary and all his endorsements. I think he'll make 40M just on his NBA salary alone with the huge bump in the cap after the new TV rights deals.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    To sum up, I like Climie over Forde, I don't think either will ever be considered, and Climie being a lawyer helps him due to the skills required to become one, but doesn't automatically qualify him. Apologies if I didn't make that clear.
    No apology needed, just a minor disagreement/misunderstanding between friends.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Most commissioners have had troubled tenures, especially in the modern era, because the CFL has been a troubled league. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I simply stated that being a Lawyer is apparently beneficial. That was in response to your comment about not knowing how Law would help in this particular role (paraphrased). Many of them have been one. Good or bad, they got the job.

I am not saying the new commish will have a legal background, or should.
    Thanks for clarifying. There's no question that several commissioners have had law degrees, but I don't think we should read too much into that because we don't know how much the legal background mattered in the selection process. Was Larry Smith hired because he was a former player who had business experience and happened to have a law degree? Or because he had a business and legal background and happened to be a former player? Or because he was a lawyer and former player who happened to know a thing or two about business? etc. In some cases, a law degree might even have been seen by some governors as a negative (after all, the league is not overflowing with academic accomplishments) that was outweighed by other factors.

My point, and I'll stand by it; this league doesn't need some corporate egghead who spews power phrases and cliches and has no clue what this thing is all about. This 'thing' is unlike any other business going. The new commish should have an understanding of this league and it's unique charm.
    I agree, more or less. Understanding (and even loving) the league may not be absolutely necessary, but it would help, big-time. I think experience generating sustainable new revenue streams and building sustainable business relationships with large corporations is an absolute must. The ability to maintain a positive media presence and build relationships in that world is close to a must as well.

Sounds like Wayne Parrish is the latest to lobby for it. He's background is Journalism, and has been involved in managing organized leagues as of late.
    Parrish is an intriguing candidate. He knows the league (although has not been close to it for a couple of decades), he has fairly high-level biz experience and he has a sports administration background. I wonder how much influence Michael Copeland, as former COO of the league under Cohon, will have on this. He presumably was passed over for Orridge. I can't see the league reconsidering that, given the problems Argos had off the field in 2016. If they had succeeded in packing BMO and selling GC tix, Copeland might well be in line for the commissioner's job at this point.

Steve Simmons also floated a couple of other intriguing names: Kevin Abrams, assistant GM of New York Giants, and Stewart Johnston, president of Bell Media Studios and TSN.

http://www.giants.com/team/staff/kev...5-bd131e8c113d

http://www.bellmedia.ca/executives/stewart-johnston/

Also Paul Beeston, but I have a hard time seeing him want to take on that sort of a challenge at this stage of his life.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Rod Pedersen brought up Brad Wall's name. Yeah right......

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Pedersen himself is no doubt a hot candidate.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I wouldn't care if they brought Larry Smith back. Can baffle people in both English and French and isn't afraid of a mic. That's half the job, maybe more than that. The owners make the rules and call the shots, the Commissioner is just a front man.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't think so. You have individual players in the other leagues making more than even double the salary cap of each entire team. For some reason, young people look up to those that are branded to the extreme. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, when I was a kid, we loved players based on how good they were at their game. Marketing had ZERO to do with it.

I can see LeBron James making close to 100M a year next year between NBA salary and all his endorsements. I think he'll make 40M just on his NBA salary alone with the huge bump in the cap after the new TV rights deals.
    An interesting note. The Chinese Super League (soccer), while professional, is not considered a top tier league. A few of their players are some of the most highest paid athletes in the world making close to 400 000 British pounds a week. A WEEK!

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Rod Pedersen brought up Brad Wall's name. Yeah right......
    Basically all 1.13 million people living in Saskatchewan are candidates .
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    What about Glen Grunwald? I know he is a basketball guy, but so is Parrish. And Grunwald has some good connections. What about Jim Lawson, current Chair of the Board (and Woodbine CEO)? To get really crazy, what about Shannon Hosford, VP of marketing for MLSE? Just throwing some names around here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtownfan View Post
    What about Glen Grunwald? I know he is a basketball guy, but so is Parrish. And Grunwald has some good connections. What about Jim Lawson, current Chair of the Board (and Woodbine CEO)? To get really crazy, what about Shannon Hosford, VP of marketing for MLSE? Just throwing some names around here.
    Those are interesting names. I've heard Lawson (not a head-hunter) is in charge of finding the next commish so it might be a stretch to offer himself up for the role. Stacey Allaster (head of pro tennis for the USA, former head of the WTA) might be a good choice, but I bet she is making more than the CFL could afford.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I previously suggested Keith Pelley, but now I am leaning very much more for Jock Climie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Brian Burke. A name suggested by James Cybulski

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Brian Burke. A name suggested by James Cybulski
    That would be insane, IMO. He eventually rubs EVERYONE the wrong way.