Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
I still want Popp to take Qadr Spooner at #10 if he's still there. Then look to pick a D Lineman or safety, depending on who is available. Van Zeyl, Deane and Diakowski might be good for this year, but younger players are needed. Spooner would look good joining Holmes, McEwen, Campbell and Sackey in a year or two. New guys DT Colling and DB Conteh being added to the draft makes a larger pool for those positions that will be available in rounds 3 and 4 IMO. Good Canadian O Linemen are gold in the CFL and I feel Spooner will be a good one.
Agreed that Spooner is a very good O-line prospect (might turn out to be the best pro of this year's crop, even if he is rated lower than a few other O-linemen), BUT: a) I'll bet he's gone by the time the Argos get to pick first; and b) this Argo team has much more pressing needs than future O-line prospects IMO; rather see them look to one from the very good DT crop this draft (one of the top 5 has to still be there by #10) - and that guy proves to be ready to play right away - to go with Waud in a platoon at one DT spot = to get to one NI position on the D (Gabriel at safety the other?). And after that - like to see them get one of the top 4 DE prospects with the next pick (# 19?) - one of Boateng, McGough, Foster or Mackie should still be around then IMO - and that guy is maybe ready to play some reps at DE right away (though it is going to be 2 imports starting at DE I'l bet.) Another possibility is that Herdman is still around at #19 (cause his testing #s were not very good) - and he is at least a good contributor on STs right away and a possible future starter at MLB ? (the position is going to be pencilled-in for imports only this season IMO - Herdman would have to be lights out great in TC to "earn" that job).

Watch Jimmy P draft a fullback/H-back and one of the not top few rated O-linemen with his first 2 picks though. ;o)