Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Final CFL Scouting Bureau Rankings and Who the Argos Pursue

A recent addition to the 2017 Draft, thanks to obtaining his Canadian citizenship because of his Canadian parents, is 26 year old Arena League All-Star is DL Randy Colling, who could help the Argos improve their ratio on the defensive side of the football (if Popp is willing to add a Canadian there)

Last edited by jerrym; 04-12-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Another player recently added to the CFL draft who could be a useful Argo draft choice is versatile ST/DB Abubakkar Conteh, who might be a late round draft choice for development purposes as a potential safety.

The 22-year-old was born in Sierra Leone and raised in Winnipeg. He only played one year of football in high school as a receiver and defensive back at Kildonan-East Collegiate while playing basketball and soccer too. Conteh moved to the United States as a senior and eventually ended up at North Dakota State College of Science (junior college) in Wahpeton, and decided to give football a try. He did not play much as in his first year, but moved into a starting role as a sophomore with the Wildcats. ...
    After accepting a scholarship to Grambling State, Conteh lettered two years with the Tigers, while playing on all special teams and cornerback. He’s a versatile athlete who kicked in the 2016 Southwestern Athletic Conference championship game after their kicker got injured, converting two extra points and handling kick-off duties in Grambling State’s 27-20 victory over Alcorn State. He was a member of the 2015-2016 SWAC All-Academic team and a Historically Black Colleges and Universities National Champion as a senior. ...
    Conteh checked in at just over six feet, 202 pounds at Grambling State’s pro day March 21. He ran a 4.77 40-yard time, 4.60 shuttle, 7.37 3-cone, 34-inch vertical, nine-foot, three-inch broad and 12 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. ...Conteh, who has spoken with five CFL teams and worked out for one, likely fits the Canadian game best as a safety. ...
    Adds another personnel man: “Very raw, but he has tools to develop – intriguing size and he’s jacked up. He could contribute on special teams. Conteh might be a mid-round pick.”
    http://3downnation.com/2017/04/11/in...017-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    A recent addition to the 2017 Draft, thanks to obtaining his Canadian citizenship because of his Canadian parents, is 26 year old Arena League All-Star is DL Randy Colling, who could help the Argos improve their ratio on the defensive side of the football (if Popp is willing to add a Canadian there)

Colling is an interesting addition to what is already a good DT crop this coming draft IMO; his resume sounds pretty good and he might be in the top 5 or so group of rated DTs (along with Ankou, Luke, Vaughn, Ekakitie, and maybe Narkaj) for this draft. All of those guys might be gone by 2nd round, but maybe not = the Argos have to be able to get one of them, if they look there, with their 1st pick or even 2nd choice. Could also get a DE as well from the top 5 there by their 2nd pick. But who knows what positions will be addressed? I'd expect just about anything, including the bizzarre, with Jimmy P in charge of the thinking there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Final CFL Scouting Bureau Rankings and Who the Argos Pursue

The final CFL Scouting Bureau Rankings are out. With the Argos having to wait until the 10th overall draft position before selecting, a lot depends on what teams ahead of them select. However, one can still ask how the Argos make their choice: the best player, picking by position or by who is likely to be immediately available because they have not been drafted or signed by the NFL.
    Is there a player not on the top 20 Scouting Bureau rankings that the Argos should pursue with their first draft choice?
    The top five in order are: OL Justin Senior; DL Eli Ankou; OL Geoff Gray; Receiver Danny Vandevoort; and DL Faith Ekakitie.
    The rest of the rankings can be seen below.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/13/senior-...ureau-ranking/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Marshall Ferguson's article and video examines the top 20 prospects from the Final CFL Scouting Bureau rankings at the url below.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/13/ferguso...-20-prospects/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I guess they will pick a DE or a LB first in this draft

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Colling is an interesting addition to what is already a good DT crop this coming draft IMO; his resume sounds pretty good and he might be in the top 5 or so group of rated DTs (along with Ankou, Luke, Vaughn, Ekakitie, and maybe Narkaj) for this draft. All of those guys might be gone by 2nd round, but maybe not = the Argos have to be able to get one of them, if they look there, with their 1st pick or even 2nd choice. Could also get a DE as well from the top 5 there by their 2nd pick. But who knows what positions will be addressed? I'd expect just about anything, including the bizzarre, with Jimmy P in charge of the thinking there.
    DT Randy Colling is also one of the five players Dunk argues should be placed in the top 20 Scouting Bureau rankings, along with Fordham DL Justin Vaughn, Laval OL Jean-Simon Roy, Regina OL Jeremy Zver and Sherbrooke FB Anthony Gosselin. Some of them should be available at the start of the second round for the Argos to consider drafting.

http://3downnation.com/2017/04/14/fi...reau-probably/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's an interview and video with the Scouting Bureau's #13 ranked player, McGill OL Quadr Spooner, who could well be available when the Argos draft tenth.

In his hometown of Brossard, Que., Spooner worked hard in the classroom and on the field to keep moving in the right direction – a direction that may eventually lead to pro football.
    “I didn’t always grow up in the best neighbourhood,” said Spooner. “But I always had good family and friends and I just stayed focused in my neighbourhood and really focused on school and football and kept me in the right direction most of my life.” ...

Spooner hopes his his intensity and ability to give it his all on every single play will set him apart.
    “I play with a lot of tenacity,” he said of his own game. “I go at my guy at 100 per cent. I really try to wear him down from beginning to the end. I make him not want to play against me every single play he has a chance to. I take it really personal so I bring that game into how I play against my opponents.”
    At this year’s combine, Spooner had the third best bench press – tied with Montreal’s defensive lineman Mathieu Dupuis’ regional result – with 31 reps.
    The McGill University product is hoping his strength and willingness to do whatever it takes to make the jump to the pros will help his draft stock and put him on the radar of teams across the league.
    “I’m a hard-working person,” he said. “I’m trying to get better every day and I think I have an amazing upside. I’m willing to get as good as I need to be to be able to perform and play in the pros.”

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/14/prospec...ard-make-jump/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    DT Randy Colling is also one of the five players Dunk argues should be placed in the top 20 Scouting Bureau rankings, along with Fordham DL Justin Vaughn, Laval OL Jean-Simon Roy, Regina OL Jeremy Zver and Sherbrooke FB Anthony Gosselin. Some of them should be available at the start of the second round for the Argos to consider drafting.

Just IMO - but there is little to no way to justify a "fullback"/H-back in a CFL top 20 draft rankings these days - unless the guy is a Blake Marshall type talent and a CFL team plans to feature a fullback full-time in their offence - it's a part-time position (what - maybe 10 snaps a game on offence, if even on an average CFL team?); all other positions (outside of QB and D-half where NIs are not going to play), and you at least have a chance to get a starter on O or D. Not that a GOB wouldn't use an early draft pick to draft a fullback (and hope they guy is a very good ST player as well), but IMO that is just dumb/myopic. You should be aiming for full-time, top notch starter talent with 1st couple of rounds draft picks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Just IMO - but there is little to no way to justify a "fullback"/H-back in a CFL top 20 draft rankings these days - unless the guy is a Blake Marshall type talent and a CFL team plans to feature a fullback full-time in their offence - it's a part-time position (what - maybe 10 snaps a game on offence, if even on an average CFL team?); all other positions (outside of QB and D-half where NIs are not going to play), and you at least have a chance to get a starter on O or D. Not that a GOB wouldn't use an early draft pick to draft a fullback (and hope they guy is a very good ST player as well), but IMO that is just dumb/myopic. You should be aiming for full-time, top notch starter talent with 1st couple of rounds draft picks.
    I agree that in today's CFL with its focus on passing, a FB like Gosselin (or other FB for that matter) is highly unlikely to be any team's first draft choice. I was simply listing who Dunk thought was overlooked in the rankings and who might be available.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree that in today's CFL with its focus on passing, a FB like Gosselin (or other FB for that matter) is highly unlikely to be any team's first draft choice. I was simply listing who Dunk thought was overlooked in the rankings and who might be available.

Yeah, but Jimmy P used the 11th overall pick last year on Wayne Moore - a bigger size CIS tailback - who was about to get zero shot to play tailback in the CFL and would be viewed as a fullback/H-back - and the Als offence then barely used an H-back ??? - a WTF type pick that is so typical of the CFL draft. So, thinking an H-back belongs in the top 20 CFL draft rankings is supported with that evidence; I believe Moore was out with injury part or all of last season for the Als (?), but it would have been very interesting to see if he played any offence for them; we'll see if he even makes their team this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I still want Popp to take Qadr Spooner at #10 if he's still there. Then look to pick a D Lineman or safety, depending on who is available. Van Zeyl, Deane and Diakowski might be good for this year, but younger players are needed. Spooner would look good joining Holmes, McEwen, Campbell and Sackey in a year or two. New guys DT Colling and DB Conteh being added to the draft makes a larger pool for those positions that will be available in rounds 3 and 4 IMO. Good Canadian O Linemen are gold in the CFL and I feel Spooner will be a good one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I still want Popp to take Qadr Spooner at #10 if he's still there. Then look to pick a D Lineman or safety, depending on who is available. Van Zeyl, Deane and Diakowski might be good for this year, but younger players are needed. Spooner would look good joining Holmes, McEwen, Campbell and Sackey in a year or two. New guys DT Colling and DB Conteh being added to the draft makes a larger pool for those positions that will be available in rounds 3 and 4 IMO. Good Canadian O Linemen are gold in the CFL and I feel Spooner will be a good one.
    Agreed that Spooner is a very good O-line prospect (might turn out to be the best pro of this year's crop, even if he is rated lower than a few other O-linemen), BUT: a) I'll bet he's gone by the time the Argos get to pick first; and b) this Argo team has much more pressing needs than future O-line prospects IMO; rather see them look to one from the very good DT crop this draft (one of the top 5 has to still be there by #10) - and that guy proves to be ready to play right away - to go with Waud in a platoon at one DT spot = to get to one NI position on the D (Gabriel at safety the other?). And after that - like to see them get one of the top 4 DE prospects with the next pick (# 19?) - one of Boateng, McGough, Foster or Mackie should still be around then IMO - and that guy is maybe ready to play some reps at DE right away (though it is going to be 2 imports starting at DE I'l bet.) Another possibility is that Herdman is still around at #19 (cause his testing #s were not very good) - and he is at least a good contributor on STs right away and a possible future starter at MLB ? (the position is going to be pencilled-in for imports only this season IMO - Herdman would have to be lights out great in TC to "earn" that job).

Watch Jimmy P draft a fullback/H-back and one of the not top few rated O-linemen with his first 2 picks though. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Agreed that Spooner is a very good O-line prospect (might turn out to be the best pro of this year's crop, even if he is rated lower than a few other O-linemen), BUT: a) I'll bet he's gone by the time the Argos get to pick first; and b) this Argo team has much more pressing needs than future O-line prospects IMO; rather see them look to one from the very good DT crop this draft (one of the top 5 has to still be there by #10) - and that guy proves to be ready to play right away - to go with Waud in a platoon at one DT spot = to get to one NI position on the D (Gabriel at safety the other?). And after that - like to see them get one of the top 4 DE prospects with the next pick (# 19?) - one of Boateng, McGough, Foster or Mackie should still be around then IMO - and that guy is maybe ready to play some reps at DE right away (though it is going to be 2 imports starting at DE I'l bet.) Another possibility is that Herdman is still around at #19 (cause his testing #s were not very good) - and he is at least a good contributor on STs right away and a possible future starter at MLB ? (the position is going to be pencilled-in for imports only this season IMO - Herdman would have to be lights out great in TC to "earn" that job).

Watch Jimmy P draft a fullback/H-back and one of the not top few rated O-linemen with his first 2 picks though. ;o)
    Popp has had was questionable draft picks over the years. But we just see them in game film where the GM's and scouts meet the players in person and know more about their private lives which would factor into some decisions.
    Two years ago I hoped for Chungh with the first pick but Winnipeg beat Barker to it. Last year I wanted Lauzon-Seguin and Noel. Barker could have had Lauzon-Seguin and he would look very good a RG right about now. Jones seems like a good player but I would rather have the good O Lineman who can play ten years in the League. Tall guys like Jones are going to get whacked going over the middle sooner or later and be out with a knee injury. Still think Noel will be an impact player if they Coach him right. Campbell and Sackey kind of came out of the blue as to where where Barker picked them. Campbell just might turn out alright when they get the finished product by next year. Couldn't ask for a better physical speciman.
    This year I like Spooner, Okafor and Wright and we will see where they end up and how they progress.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Popp has had was questionable draft picks over the years. But we just see them in game film where the GM's and scouts meet the players in person and know more about their private lives which would factor into some decisions.
    Two years ago I hoped for Chungh with the first pick but Winnipeg beat Barker to it. Last year I wanted Lauzon-Seguin and Noel. Barker could have had Lauzon-Seguin and he would look very good a RG right about now. Jones seems like a good player but I would rather have the good O Lineman who can play ten years in the League. Tall guys like Jones are going to get whacked going over the middle sooner or later and be out with a knee injury. Still think Noel will be an impact player if they Coach him right. Campbell and Sackey kind of came out of the blue as to where where Barker picked them. Campbell just might turn out alright when they get the finished product by next year. Couldn't ask for a better physical speciman.
    This year I like Spooner, Okafor and Wright and we will see where they end up and how they progress.
    I expect them to get a DL (bpa) and a LB with their first two picks, should things go their way.

Secondarily, I see DB & Receiver.

The picks of Campbell and Sackey surprised even the most studied experts, but it shows that our recruiters place an emphasis on local products. We have seen this in Montreal with the French guys, and in Regina and BC over the years. Not a bad plan as you want guys who WANT to be Argos. BTW, we have those same recruiters, and I expect we'll see a couple more local products again this year.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of the UofT prospects drated (Corey Williams, Arkarakas, Gillespie) or the York Receiver (Adeboboye) or a local type like Boeteng.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's another late addition to the CFL draft who looks like a promising draft pick, especially when many consider him the top LB prospect: Cameron Judge.

Texas Longhorns wide receiver Marcus Johnson (7) flips over UCLA Bruins linebacker Cameron Judge (4). Mandatory Credit: Richard Mackson-USA TODAY Sports

The 22-year-old just finished four seasons at UCLA and instantly becomes the top-rated linebacker available. Judge was born north of the border to parents Christopher and Margaret, who met while his dad was trying out for the CFL and officially eligible on April 18 when all franchises across Canada were notified.
    “My mom is Canadian. My dad is an actor and he was working on a show up in Montreal and that’s where I was born,” Judge explains. “We moved back to Los Angeles when I was three months old and then when I was three we moved up to Vancouver. I was in between Victoria and Vancouver until I was 12 years old.”
    As Judge took a liking to football, which included going to B.C. Lions games as a youngster, his mom felt the exposure for the sport was better in the United States. So before Judge started grade seven the family moved back to California. After a standout career at Oaks Christian high school, Judge earned a scholarship with UCLA in the Pac-12, the same conference where his dad played university football at Oregon as a defensive back from 1982-85.
    Every season at UCLA, Judge earned an increased role with the Bruins, becoming the special teams captain, starting games at linebacker in his junior and senior season while serving as the weight room captain too.
    “Blue collar, lunch pale type of worker, that’s all he knows,” UCLA’s linebackers and special teams coach Scott White says.
    Judge played in 47 games for the Bruins over his UCLA career recording 46 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, two passes defended, one forced fumble and one interception while being a special teams ace. ...

“He’s going to be a guy that teams fall in love with once you get him because of how he understands and embraces his role,” White says. “At the next level that’s what it becomes: you have to be a star in your role and he’s every bit of that. He’s going to compete, know what to do and execute at a high level.”
    White coached four-time CFL all-star linebacker Adam Bighill at Central Washington. “Cam is every bit as good as Adam who was more of a natural, instinctive player, but physically Cam is better, he’s bigger, faster and more athletic. That’s where they’re most different,” White explains. “Cam has a lot of upside and he’s the better athlete of the two. He could go to the CFL and have a big-time career.” ...
    “At the next level that’s what it becomes: you have to be a star in your role and he’s every bit of that. He’s going to compete, know what to do and execute at a high level.”

That said, Judge’s primary focus is making an NFL roster, a number of teams have worked him out and close to a dozen NFL teams have shown interest by reaching out to him. He hopes to hear his name called at the NFL draft. If that doesn’t happen he’ll likely be a priority undrafted free agent signee. Since Judge arrived at UCLA in 2013 five linebackers from the Bruins program have been selected by NFL teams. ...
    “We’ve been contacted by numerous NFL teams who are interested in Cameron. I just talked to an NFL coach last night who said that Cameron’s pro day performance and film is some of the best he’s seen all year,” agent Spiro Pettas says. “We’re excited about the next few days.”
    At UCLA’s pro day the 22-year-old measured six-foot-one and weighed 220-pounds then performed, running a 4.50 40-yard time, 6.69 3-cone, 10-foot, one-inch broad jump, 36.5-inch vertical leap and 19 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. ...

“I’m going to tell Cam if he doesn’t get the right opportunity in the NFL go play in the CFL so you can get tape and be on the field,” White, who believes Judge’s best football is ahead of him, says. “I’m going to share my Adam Bighill experience with him and how he parlayed that into an opportunity with the New Orleans Saints.” ...
    Meanwhile, after Judge became a late add to the 2017 CFL draft, Canadian scouts have been evaluating Judge. “Very athletic,” one three-down league personnel man says. “He will get a first round grade like Alex Singleton last year.”
    http://3downnation.com/2017/04/26/ga...-to-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sounds like an interesting prospect, though that's really late to be added to the draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Sounds like an interesting prospect, though that's really late to be added to the draft.

Yeah, for sure - some just outstanding testing #s. Not sure he jumps right to the head of this linebacker class - doesn't seem like he was even a full-time starter at UCLA - but the Div I resume and those testing #s might put him ahead of Mulumba or Herdman this draft ? And maybe meaning the Argos could have a good shot at one of those 3 guys with their first pick, if they choose to address that position ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    All I can say is "keep em coming".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Better than Bighill? That's high praise, and who couldn't use someone like that?