Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Jeff Perrett signed

Jeff Perrett signed? - some of us speculated that Trestman might want to look at his former (very good) starting OT again.

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Significant enough signing to warrant its own thread.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Perett was almost as bad as Jacob Ruby. Why do you think nobody picked him up until now. Van Zyl might be let go.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by eiben35 View Post
    Perett was almost as bad as Jacob Ruby. Why do you think nobody picked him up until now. Van Zyl might be let go.

SO, both Perrett & Bourke - 2 of the best OTs in the league for years - both suddenly became bums last year? Could be I guess - did some expert tell you that? Maybe they both played on $hit, predictable offences that had problems galore, including having to play back-up or not ready QBs ?

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Interesting. We have to be considering him at RT, right? It's nice to see that CvZ will be pushed both by a vet and a ~rookie (Campbell).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I can't find a story on this signing any where. Not even Rogers has reported this.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    There hasn't been an official report yet, but this was seen on Twitter (so you may want to get that )

TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Bourke dislocated a thumb last year and apparently tried to play through it for a while. Would have been a big reason his pass blocking looked weak at times. IMO. But he did have knee problems a year or two earlier so they may have been giving out on him as well. But he was a very good Tackle for years in the League and should be remembered as such.
    Perrett looked like he was losing the battle of the bulge the last couple of years. Get that under control and maybe he could still be effective. Maybe Trestman is just covering the O Line with depth going into TC and see what shakes out. Or maybe he has seen what some of on here have, that Van Zeyl just might be a better Guard than Tackle, or maybe Van Zeyl has been given the same offer he can't refuse that Foley got. Somehow I can't see Holmes, McEwen, Deane, Dyakowski, Van Zeyl, Perrett, Smith, Sackey and Campbell all on the roster by opening day. Somebody is going to get cut.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Maybe Trestman is just covering the O Line with depth going into TC and see what shakes out. Or maybe he has seen what some of on here have, that Van Zeyl just might be a better Guard than Tackle, or maybe Van Zeyl has been given the same offer he can't refuse that Foley got. Somehow I can't see Holmes, McEwen, Deane, Dyakowski, Van Zeyl, Perrett, Smith, Sackey and Campbell all on the roster by opening day. Somebody is going to get cut.
    Depth is always good. I hope VZ is able to move to RG. It's possible they will cut VZ or force a salary reduction, but based on Popp's comment at the meeting they had with this board ("the best RT in the league"), I doubt the former will happen. Of the nine guys listed above, IMO Holmes, McEwen, Sackey and Campbell are untouchable. I think Smith, Dyakowski and Perrett, in that order, are most at risk of being cut by the end of camp.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Depth is always good. I hope VZ is able to move to RG. It's possible they will cut VZ or force a salary reduction, but based on Popp's comment at the meeting they had with this board ("the best RT in the league"), I doubt the former will happen. Of the nine guys listed above, IMO Holmes, McEwen, Sackey and Campbell are untouchable. I think Smith, Dyakowski and Perrett, in that order, are most at risk of being cut by the end of camp.

Sackey & Campbell were both drafted by the previous Argo braintrust, and both were hardly highly rated or decorated O-line prospects - interesting to questionable to maybe dumb (in the case of using a 2nd round pick on Sackey - could have drafted Loffler instead for example and still probably got Sackey in the later rounds) draft picks - and these type of O-line prospects or better are up every draft year (IMO several 2nd tier rated O-linemen this draft with superior resumes) How those 2 could be viewed as "untouchable" is way beyond me, but maybe, and if Jimmy P is pre-thinking he will go with 5 starting NI O-linemen, then their chances of sticking are improved; I could also see both being cut if a new draft pick O-lineman (or 2 ?) show well in TC.

Van Zeyl is a better OT than Perrett (or Bourke) ? - now?; in what universe ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Did CVZ go the the caravan to Regina?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Interesting points re; Sackey and Campbell, and while it may prove true, keep in mind that is not what the Argo braintrust will be whispering in the new chieftains ears. Magri, Rukavina and Volpe will all be a booster club and I expect that magic dust will last for another season, at least. Campbell and Sackey will have to take the necessary steps forward this season and if they do, I'd have to agree with the previously adorned label "untouchable." For now.

As for CVZ being better than Perrett or Bourke; well, of course not 2-3 seasons ago, but that debate will probably be proven out in the flesh, and in the action at TC. We'll settle that debate then, the right way. That's the best way, and the new guys are simply saying that if you want a spot, you are going to need to earn one. Bravo. Great plan of action!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Sackey & Campbell were both drafted by the previous Argo braintrust, and both were hardly highly rated or decorated O-line prospects -
    based on what? Media rankings? The same media that you always refer to as clueless?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    based on what? Media rankings? The same media that you always refer to as clueless?

What media? - the media up here barely cares about the CFL and have no clue about the CFL draft. The very few CFL draft fans/followers/pundits/commentators (Duane Forde was an example in the past; Rids used to have a CFL draft site; this guy Marshall Ferguson now is clueless half the time) ? - did any of them rate Sackey or Campbell highly? - not that I heard; did either of those guys make CIS all-Canadian all-star O-line picks or even OUA all-star? Did both guys blow away Combine testing with outstanding numbers or one-on-one performances ? I get that to you - if inscrutable football experts like Barker or Millanovich thought highly of them, then that trumps anything know nothing fans would think and they must be superstar football players & prospects = whatever / good for you.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    What media? - the media up here barely cares about the CFL and have no clue about the CFL draft. The very few CFL draft fans/followers/pundits/commentators (Duane Forde was an example in the past; Rids used to have a CFL draft site; this guy Marshall Ferguson now is clueless half the time) ? - did any of them rate Sackey or Campbell highly? - not that I heard; did either of those guys make CIS all-Canadian all-star O-line picks or even OUA all-star? Did both guys blow away Combine testing with outstanding numbers or one-on-one performances ? I get that to you - if inscrutable football experts like Barker or Millanovich thought highly of them, then that trumps anything know nothing fans would think and they must be superstar football players & prospects = whatever / good for you.
    Forde and Ferguson are part of the media. They don't get paid to scout amateur talent. Each team has people that do. Campbell and Sackey are both tremendous athletes for their size. I'm not saying that either are guaranteed to be future outstanding o lineman winners come the season end awards, but the fact that you act as an authority on anything to do with Canadian college players based on basically never seeing most of them play live is hilarious to me.

For the record, I saw Campbell play at York, live, against a very good Laurier team in 2015. He was dominant in that game. Small sample size, but bigger than anything that makes you say it was a bad pick.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm impressed that Marshall Ferguson is clueless only half the time. High praise, indeed.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'm impressed that Marshall Ferguson is clueless only half the time. High praise, indeed.
    My point exactly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Forde and Ferguson are part of the media. They don't get paid to scout amateur talent. Each team has people that do. Campbell and Sackey are both tremendous athletes for their size. I'm not saying that either are guaranteed to be future outstanding o lineman winners come the season end awards, but the fact that you act as an authority on anything to do with Canadian college players based on basically never seeing most of them play live is hilarious to me.

For the record, I saw Campbell play at York, live, against a very good Laurier team in 2015. He was dominant in that game. Small sample size, but bigger than anything that makes you say it was a bad pick.
    More like you and your little pal Paul don't like anyone disagreeing with anything Argo team experts do, or so-called media experts who tell you stuff about the team or league. And too bad you chose to ignore my questions with your usual cry-baby style.

Hilarious that you rave about seeing one game Campbell played in but were so quick and good with writing off an outstanding CIS RB from Laurier - this would be because it would confirm what the Argos braintrust did (cutting a Canadian RB - they aren't really talented enough to play with the Ben Melena's out there: and using a draft pick on this wonderful "athlete" (why don't you site his Combine testing #s to demonstrate this?) who plays a more fitting Canadian "position" - Oline "project". If I told you I've seen a number of these CFL draft prospects actually play football (which I have) it wouldn't register anyways - unless it confirmed something you were told by an expert source.

And for the record, your 2nd paragraph there is exactly how you should be responding - you saw the guy play and thought he was very good; presenting some actual evidence in the discussion; rather than just whining about opinions you don't like to hear. Or, maybe just admit that you don\'t really follow the CFL draft that much or track CFL draft prospects and their college ball play/accomplishments/resumes, but that you are good with what the CFL reporter experts tell you on the subject, and you don't want to hear any dissenting opinions here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    There hasn't been an official report yet, but this was seen on Twitter (so you may want to get that )

Never!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Yah I got a good feeling about Campbell the little I have seen him. I think he can be the whole package. Start putting him in some games this year at the right times, bring him along and Coach him up. Moves like a big cat. I think we have to remember he only played some organized football about 5 years before getting drafted and he was a defensive lineman the first part of those years. Learning how to play the game against players at this level can be tough. But he shouldn't have any bad blocking habits because his lack of playing time at OT growing up. He tested out quite well at the combine last year if I recall and at 6'7 300 they don't have to teach him to be big.