Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    For the record, I saw Campbell play at York, live, against a very good Laurier team in 2015. He was dominant in that game. Small sample size, but bigger than anything that makes you say it was a bad pick.

Yah I got a good feeling about Campbell the little I have seen him. I think he can be the whole package. Start putting him in some games this year at the right times, bring him along and Coach him up. Moves like a big cat. I think we have to remember he only played some organized football about 5 years before getting drafted and he was a defensive lineman the first part of those years. Learning how to play the game against players at this level can be tough. But he shouldn't have any bad blocking habits because his lack of playing time at OT growing up. He tested out quite well at the combine last year if I recall and at 6'7 300 they don't have to teach him to be big.
    Listed at 6-5, 292 from last year's Combine; 17 bench reps hardly stellar for an O-lineman; lack of O-line playing experience a good thing? - maybe, I guess.

I hope he becomes the next Kelvin Pruenster or Chris Schultz for the Argos - long-time starter and all-star calibre; we shall see.

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm good with what reporter experts tell me, and I don't​ want to hear any dissenting opinions here.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'm good with what reporter experts tell me, and I don't​ want to hear any dissenting opinions here.

OK Captain Obvious. Guess you got nothing specific to say in the case of Campbell - other than you know, somehow (an expert told you?) he is an "untouchable" superb O-line prospect.

Go Arrrrrrrrgoooos !!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    With the signing of another veteran in Perret, the Argo line has become very congested with CFL vets. Not enough jobs to go around. Will be interesting how this plays out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    For the record, I saw Campbell play at York, live, against a very good Laurier team in 2015. He was dominant in that game. Small sample size, but bigger than anything that makes you say it was a bad pick.

Yah I got a good feeling about Campbell the little I have seen him. I think he can be the whole package. Start putting him in some games this year at the right times, bring him along and Coach him up. Moves like a big cat. I think we have to remember he only played some organized football about 5 years before getting drafted and he was a defensive lineman the first part of those years. Learning how to play the game against players at this level can be tough. But he shouldn't have any bad blocking habits because his lack of playing time at OT growing up. He tested out quite well at the combine last year if I recall and at 6'7 300 they don't have to teach him to be big.
    Totally agree.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    With the signing of another veteran in Perret, the Argo line has become very congested with CFL vets. Not enough jobs to go around. Will be interesting how this plays out.
    Yes and Jeff Keeping is still out there. Maybe Bourke is healthy again. Starting to look like Trestman and Popp want to go all Canadian up front.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    OK Captain Obvious. Guess you got nothing specific to say in the case of Campbell - other than you know, somehow (an expert told you?) he is an "untouchable" superb O-line prospect.
    Just ignoring questions in my usual cry-baby style.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes and Jeff Keeping is still out there. Maybe Bourke is healthy again. Starting to look like Trestman and Popp want to go all Canadian up front.
    It was a Jimmy P m.o. in Montreal to meet the ratio requirement of 7 NIs only need apply - and worked well when Bourke & Perrett (who were both drafted by Jimmy P - to his credit) were very good OTs to go with solid interior O-linemen - they had a good O-line on some productive offences with Calvillo at QB.

Might be the thinking here too - if Perrett & Van Zeyl grade out as capable at OT for another season (and they could still carry an import OT - as a DI or ready on the PR)? 5 starting NIs on the O-line and you only needs 2 others - maybe one receiver (Jones or Noel) and only one on D (Gabriel at S) ?; or go all imports in the 5 pack receiver look, and have 2 NIs starting on D - (Gabriel + Waud & a draft pick at one DT spot?)

Oh, that damned nuisance "ratio problem" thingy in the CFL.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    and... he retired today. I guess he won't be our starting RT after all!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Much less of a logjam now, with Smith and Perrett both gone. I see us starting an INT at LT and then Holmes, McEwen, Deane and Van Zeyl, with Dyakowski, Sackey and Campbell on the 46 but only two of them dressing on the 44. Watman is in the mix as well and could beat out Dyakowski for a spot on the roster, especially since he can back up at centre. Would be great if Campbell suddenly develops into a starting-calibre LT but I think that's probably a year down the road. I do hope that Trestman at el try to get both Campbell and Sackey some playing time throughout the year. They have to play to have any chance of achieving their full potential.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I am still not comfortable with Van Zeyl having to start.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Achievements:

Level
    A week from now we'll have a much better idea of how our staff feels about Sackey and Campbell.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I guess he wanted to retire as an Argo. lol
    But everyone must have had second thoughts after mini camp. Possibly he "retired" to open up another roster spot while he continues to get in shape.

Achievements:

Level
    Heh. Well, just in case, let me be the first to congratulate Jeff and thank him for his minutes of service to the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    A week from now we'll have a much better idea of how our staff feels about Sackey and Campbell.
    Are you talking about the draft? I wouldn't read too much into it. If they happen to draft o-linemen, IMO it does not necessarily mean they are sour on our two youngest o-linemen. And if they don't draft any, IMO it does not necessarily mean they think we're set for the future.

Achievements:

Level
    Are you talking about the draft? I wouldn't read too much into it. If they happen to draft o-linemen, IMO it does not necessarily mean they are sour on our two youngest o-linemen. And if they don't draft any, IMO it does not necessarily mean they think we're set for the future.
    If we go with OL *early*, I will take that a sign of non-confidence in Sackey, Campbell, or both.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

SO - did Perrett go to the mini-camp and his retirement has something to do with how he looked or fared on the field there ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Much less of a logjam now, with Smith and Perrett both gone. I see us starting an INT at LT and then Holmes, McEwen, Deane and Van Zeyl, with Dyakowski, Sackey and Campbell on the 46 but only two of them dressing on the 44. Watman is in the mix as well and could beat out Dyakowski for a spot on the roster, especially since he can back up at centre. Would be great if Campbell suddenly develops into a starting-calibre LT but I think that's probably a year down the road. I do hope that Trestman at el try to get both Campbell and Sackey some playing time throughout the year. They have to play to have any chance of achieving their full potential.

Pretty rare for CFL teams to get playing time for back-up O-linemen; they usually only go in as extras in a jumbo package, or as an injury replacement - there is no rotation of O-linemen to have fresh guys in there like there is with the D-line. Though a smart team/coach that has some faith in their young back-ups should be able to have them play - sometimes a starting O-lineman can have his struggles during a game / or with the D-linemen he is facing, and then why not give a back-up a chance - even for a series or two to see if they provide an upgrade? Doubtful a starting import OT gets pulled for a young NI though IMO / the other way around - for sure.

Popp & the Als (with Trestman too) took some heat for never developing a back-up QB by giving them any shot to play behind Calvillo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Notice that Van Roten was just released--wonder if Argos are interested?