Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I would be. We *may* have recruited a better LT, but that remains to be seen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    If we go with OL *early*, I will take that a sign of non-confidence in Sackey, Campbell, or both.
    I won't. Two fairly common draft philosophies -- take the best available athlete, and load up on offensive linemen -- might dictate taking one regardless of who's already in the system. The Argos could end up with Campbell, Sackey and two guys taken this year all starting a few years down the road. Unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Getting Argos 2015 and 2016 Most Oustanding OL Greg Van Roten back now that he has been cut by the Jacksonville Jaguars would be helpful, especially when he has the versatility of a Swiss Army Knife enabling him to play centre guard and tackle.

GREG VAN ROTEN / Centre, Right Guard and Left Tackle – Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman
    Greg Van Roten has been a steady presence on the offensive line while continuing to demonstrate his versatility by starting at centre, guard and tackle over 14 games. Of the 14 games, he started eight at left tackle, five at centre and one at right guard.

Van Roten has now been named the Argos Most Outstanding Lineman in back-to-back seasons. He received the honour in 2015 after also playing three positions along the offensive line over 16

http://www.argofans.com/newreply.php?p=109496&noquote=1

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In the Montreal Gazette article below, Jeff Perrett discusses why he retired after signing with the Argos. Since he has not signed retirement papers, it is technically possible he could play this year, possibly in the case of an emergency, but he "thinks it's time".

When he signed a one-year deal with the Toronto Argonauts in April, it seemed like the perfect fit — Perrett reunited with former Als general manager Jim Popp and head coach Marc Trestman. But on May 1, the Argos announced the retirement of the 33-year-old.
    Although all CFL teams had to reduce rosters to 75 players that day, this wasn’t a cosmetic paper move by Popp, according to Perrett. Rather, he simply felt out of place after attending the team’s mini-camp in Florida, surrounded by new teammates and a new position coach.
    Perrett returned to his winter home in Queens, N.Y., contemplated his situation, discussed it with his wife and came to the conclusion he had lost his will to play. He simply lacked the mental resilience to commit himself to the game that brought him so much.

“I was excited. When I heard Trestman was back, I figured Toronto’s going to be a great place to go. It ended up happening,” Perrett said. “I got there … I don’t know. It’s hard to explain. I just wasn’t enjoying it. I wasn’t having fun. I didn’t have the same passion and motivation. I don’t know if it was the new surroundings, the new teammates, the unfamiliarity with everything, the new position coach? I don’t know. It all kind of factored into it.
    “I didn’t want to … all the sacrifices and commitment I’d have to make to continue playing. I just wasn’t willing to do it anymore. I wish I had a heads-up. It just happened. I always wondered how (retirement) was going to happen. It just came out of left field.” ...

“I was expecting to play. I wanted to play,” Perrett said. “At the end of last season, I was thinking I’d play five more years, try to grind it out as long as I could.”
    But spending the winters in New York with his U.S.-born wife, an elementary school teacher, and their three children altered Perrett’s perspective. He was almost in a vacuum, he admitted.
    “I don’t know if I mentally had kind of moved on. I was just completely separated from it,” he said. “Honestly, I didn’t think a whole lot about football until a little bit before I signed with Toronto.
    “Leaving my family was huge. I’ve grown personally and have enjoyed being a dad and being able to see my kids all the time. Another six months away from them … I can’t sacrifice and commit to being away from them that long anymore.”
    With CFL training camps opening May 28, it’s a bittersweet and confusing time for Perrett, he said. Coincidentally, he didn’t sign retirement papers, technically allowing him to return this season should a call be placed and he finds there’s still some game left in him.
    “Once June comes around, I’ll see what happens and how I feel. It’s a weird time right now,” said Perrett, the 2015 recipient of the Jake Gaudaur Veterans Trophy after admitting in a Montreal Gazette article he was a recovering alcoholic.
    “I know I’m going to miss playing games, I’m going to miss the guys, everything it takes to be a professional athlete,” he said. “I’m very fortunate to have played for 10 years. Who would have thought some snot-nosed kid from Taber would ever make it to the big city of Montreal and play football? I think it’s time.”
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...e-jeff-perrett